• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy?! wait.. that means..

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
First post in a while.....

I like it. I know it'll be like a tease for all those who wanted to see Samurai Goroh or (insert character here) in the game, but it's still better then nothing. Who knows? Maybe they will have the most popular trophies (and possibly pokeballs) become characters in SSB4, or, less likely, WIICONNECT downloads.
Im not saying your wrong but Im unsure of Wiiconnect24's abilities. Will it actully be able to update the game itself?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Im not saying your wrong but Im unsure of Wiiconnect24's abilities. Will it actully be able to update the game itself?
It hasn't been done in any game. Elebits used it to add your friends' created levels, and Big Brain used it to update your game with friends' high scores. I'm guessing that, if there are downloadable characters, they'll be on the Wii Shop channel, available for a minimal fee.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Well hm, a little disappointed that Goroh won't be in, but at least he wasn't forgotten.

Also, if they decided to add a rank of the third party characters into just an AT, that would belittle the character so much. Although i'd prefer Megaman as an AT or not in the game at all, but who cares.

And no, Geno doesn't deserve to be just an AT. D:

And Ouendan for AT! \o\

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I really don't think that third party characters are going to be placed into ATs. Think about this logically for a second. Nintendo has to pay to get the rights to the third party characters. If they are going to shell out money to put a character in SSBB, they are going to be a playable character, not make a cameo appearance.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Me14k said:
It says that some assist trophies are playable..
No, it doesn't.
Dojo said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is sort of like a festival that all sorts of characters show up for. Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that.
Dojo said:
Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
Ouendan > EBA ;)
I was about to post that pic...

Also, about Assist Trophies being just like pokeballs but with different characters, what i'm thinkin is that since it said "you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it," It made me think, what if instead of carrying it around (because it does look pretty huge), you would pick one up and store it for later use? So that would make the difference..... pokeballs would have to use right away, and assist trophies would stay with you until you decide to summon.

Caael

Smash Lord
Well if you mix the pokemon with the assist trophy that could lead to too many pokemon showing up in them. Plus.. some people might get a kick out of summoning only pokemon.
Uh...there are pokeballs there for a reason.

This boosts Ridley's chances, as Dark Samus and/or Rundis are likely to pop out of these. Then again, they only seem to be random characters, not antagonists or protagonists.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
True, but i got it from the size of the trophy too. And it says on the update that you just raise it high to summon, so i'm thinking that it was stored when you picked it up (just like when you pick up any trophy in SSBM) and you would press a special button to raise it. There is a possibility thats how it works.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Haha, that's the first thing i thought when i saw the update.

I'm glad ATs are there because now i don't have to worry about generic characters like Hammer Bros. being actual characters on the roster.
Hammer Bros. Looks so cool

are u kidding me.. they deserve a spot in brawl and they juss look so cool and they arent generic

by the way i love the idea of AT's but do you think these will be used in tournemts??

do you think taunts can activate AT's?? who knows??

You know what i think is that most of the trophiesin melee will be returning in brawl as assist trophies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I was about to post that pic...

Also, about Assist Trophies being just like pokeballs but with different characters, what i'm thinkin is that since it said "you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it," It made me think, what if instead of carrying it around (because it does look pretty huge), you would pick one up and store it for later use? So that would make the difference..... pokeballs would have to use right away, and assist trophies would stay with you until you decide to summon.
Completely right
*Stores wheely crate in back pocket -_-*

By the way
"In any case, you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it."

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I was actually kinda pissed when I saw Goroh isn't a playable character. At first I saw his name and I was pumped. Then I found out he's just an item...

burrito

Smash Lord
I really don't think that third party characters are going to be placed into ATs. Think about this logically for a second. Nintendo has to pay to get the rights to the third party characters. If they are going to shell out money to put a character in SSBB, they are going to be a playable character, not make a cameo appearance.
Not always. Considering how Kojima begged to have Snake to be in Brawl, they probably didn't have to pay a cent for him. Kojima probably would easily allow them to include another one of his characters.

Although, if there are 3rd party character assist trophies, they will probably be from the same series that the playable 3rd party characters are from. I doubt we'll see Dracula...

BentoBox

Smash Master
Jaja, I can totally see Ridley as an assist trophy. =]

This update will break many hearts indeed, fun.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
To me, the Assist Trophy seems similar to a Pokeball, only with other Nintendo characters and not just Pokemon.

This is like a dream come true! So even if a character I want in Brawl isn't playable, he/she could still end up as an AT character! :chuckle:

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
This is perfect really. I would think that the idea of the Assist Trophy came after the final roster was completed. So I doubt this addition eliminated characters. If anything, this gets their foot in the door for the next game. Maybe they would've been in this game had a good move-set been thought of, but this ensures they won't be forgotten about in the next. In fact doing this might be a stunt to boost the popularity of lesser known characters so that next time around the fans will be ecstatic to see these characters be made playable.

Toad/Toadette, Drybones, Waluigi and Birdo are practically confirmed for a spot in SSB:B now!

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
I would think that the idea of the Assist Trophy came after the final roster was completed.
Remember that the Nintendog was back in 2006 in the E3 trailer. I think the Assist Trophies were back since then. Then again, they could have had Nintendog first, and then thought of Assist Trophies. ><

smidge

Smash Apprentice
i know people will will moan about assist trophies, but at least characters that wont make the cut will at least make an apperance.

maybe mr game and watch might make a reapperance as an assist trophie (as he is rumoured to be axed from the brawl line up as a playable char), he might say hello to brawl by flinging sausages everywhere :) just an idea

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
Hey, as long as Sakurai doesn't negelect his own characters for the AT i'm fine with that!
All I want for a AT is Kracko.

As for my opinion on the curret AT

Hammer Bro.-Woah, Hammer Bro looks refined and more 3-D than ever. Does this mean we can expect Boomerang and Fire bro.?

Nintendog- eh another Togepi' Aslong as I don't SD i'm fine with it, plus it's cute.

Samurai Goro- Aw D: I always thought he would be playable, but eh. Atleast he is in the game attacking people, just not playable. I'll be thankful they're including a F-Zero related thing today.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hmm, I don't know.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of this Assist Trophy idea. Assist Trophy opinions seem to either be completely optimistic or completely pessismistic. I myself am the optimistic thinking, "Well, the character had the option of never appearing in the game because he didn't make the roster, or being an Assist."

I'd rather have an Assist than nothing... even if Wolf O' Donnell is an Assist >.>

Now then, someone made a valid point earlier. Sakurai did say that the Nintendog was an Assist Trophy, so this could mean that Assist Trophies have been around from the start. However, I still doubt that ended up effected the actual roster, as many have said.

Sakurai also mentioned that some Assists would be very unfamilar to but a few gamers. Let's think outside the box. No, I don't mean that one random enemy you see once in the game that you killed in two seconds in, say, Gotcha Force *shrug*. Oh wow, that just hit me... NEO G RED AND RAY 01 FOR ASSIST TROPHIES! FUUUUCK YES!

Sorry. So what "obscure" Assists do you think will appear?

On a side note, it seems like this game had everything from the very first trailer we saw >.>

I think God just handed Sakurai SSBB and was like, "Alright, look man. Keep this on the down low and release information to them slowly. Can't have them getting any ideas."

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Some ATs that could be cool
Elite Beat Agents
Mallow
Waluigi
R.O.B.
Kamek
Boo
Mii

Dinivan

Smash Rookie
Pretty much genius

It's a positive aspect, pure and simple. He's giving you more character appearances than you'd otherwise have, adding a fun new item, and ensuring that irrational requests like 'hammerbro for brawls!@##!' don't actually go unheard, yet don't introduce an inferiorly designed character into the playable roster. It's really win/win/win, as you can turn it off if you don't like it.

My prediction for AT?
Shiek!

Something also worth noting is that megaman sucks, as does as least 90% of his games. Simon Belmont. Simon Belmont. Simon Belmont.

Gea

Smash Master
Hmm, I don't know.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of this Assist Trophy idea. Assist Trophy opinions seem to either be completely optimistic or completely pessismistic. I myself am the optimistic thinking, "Well, the character had the option of never appearing in the game because he didn't make the roster, or being an Assist."

I'd rather have an Assist than nothing... even if Wolf O' Donnell is an Assist >.>

Now then, someone made a valid point earlier. Sakurai did say that the Nintendog was an Assist Trophy, so this could mean that Assist Trophies have been around from the start. However, I still doubt that ended up effected the actual roster, as many have said.

Sakurai also mentioned that some Assists would be very unfamilar to but a few gamers. Let's think outside the box. No, I don't mean that one random enemy you see once in the game that you killed in two seconds in, say, Gotcha Force *shrug*. Oh wow, that just hit me... NEO G RED AND RAY 01 FOR ASSIST TROPHIES! FUUUUCK YES!

Sorry. So what "obscure" Assists do you think will appear?

On a side note, it seems like this game had everything from the very first trailer we saw >.>

I think God just handed Sakurai SSBB and was like, "Alright, look man. Keep this on the down low and release information to them slowly. Can't have them getting any ideas."

That is what we call being godly with releasing info. It clearly wasn't all there when he showed us the trailer... The engine and principles were, and then he's keeping tricks up his sleeves. Tricks. Thousands of them.

Or mindgames!

Sonicfan813

Smash Cadet
That is what we call being godly with releasing info. It clearly wasn't all there when he showed us the trailer... The engine and principles were, and then he's keeping tricks up his sleeves. Tricks. Thousands of them.

Or mindgames!
Mindgames son!

Anyways, I really like this idea. Just imagine putting AT and Pokeballs on very high and watching the carnage ensue...

I also was a tad disappointed to see this update because instead of major updates like stages or playable characters, the site could just put up more ATs. It would still be nice but not as great as others (still better than music in my opinion).

Croco

Smash Lord
Sry for quoting this... but the pic isn't really big so.

Angry Sun really needs to be in there.
lol.. I'll start having horrible flashbacks of World 2 from SMB3 when I was a kid..
Trying to dodge the sun while he body slams his fiery rage on unexpected opponents would be sooo kickass.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Toad:Yes,I'd actually like to see him as an assist trophy rather than a PC

Laughing Dog and ROB(Hey, he did say some obscure would be there)

Captain Olimar(I would much rather play as him,but I think he might make a AT now,he'll be in the game either way)

Paper Mario(praying hes playable character,but I'd rather see him this way than no way at all)

Tom Nook

Miis(your Miis you've created randomly pop on screen,I think it'll be cool)

Geno

Petey Piranha

Waluigi

Slippy and Peppy(double team)

K.Rool(or a playable, either one)

Stafy

Ridley

Elite Beat Agents

Mr.Game and Watch(even though he was my favorite on SSBM, I think he'll be demoted to an assist.)

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
What a fantastic idea! ATs make it possible for so many more characters to appear in the fray! I agree with whoever said its also good because it keeps to irrational suggestions out of the PC roster (i.e. hammer bros).

While I am surprised to see that Goroh isn't playable, I'm thrilled that he is in it at all. So if they add another F-Zero PC, who could it be? Jody Summers maybe?

Just a few of my suggestions: lakitu, goomba, fawful and any of Bowser's Kids (like Lemmy or Iggy, or Wendy O. Koopa) from Mario,
metroids, Dark samus, maybe chozo from metroid?

It would be so.fuucking.boss if they had the sages from LoZ as ATs!!
Any of the Kongs would be good too. Waddle dee or gooey, or rick maybe from kirby? If Dedede is an AT instead of a PC i would be a little disappointed but at least he got in somehow ^.^

I agree that the ATs seem a lot like pokeballs just for the other games, but they are a little different. You can throw the pokeballs at people, but the ATs seem like you just hold it up and the AT guy appears. I presume there must be other differences that we have yet to know.

So to sum it up, huzzah for Assist Trophies!! yay!

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Toad:Yes,I'd actually like to see him as an assist trophy rather than a PC

Laughing Dog and ROB(Hey, he did say some obscure would be there)

Captain Olimar(I would much rather play as him,but I think he might make a AT now,he'll be in the game either way)

Paper Mario(praying hes playable character,but I'd rather see him this way than no way at all)

Tom Nook

Miis(your Miis you've created randomly pop on screen,I think it'll be cool)

Geno

Petey Piranha

Waluigi

Slippy and Peppy(double team)

K.Rool(or a playable, either one)

Stafy

Ridley

Elite Beat Agents

Mr.Game and Watch(even though he was my favorite on SSBM, I think he'll be demoted to an assist.)
I'd rather see a few of those (Geno, Mii, Ridely, Geno, Stafy, Tom Nook, Geno, Geno) as playable characters, but if being an Assist Trophy is the only way they'd make it into the game, that's fine by me. I really want to see an updated Geno. He's cooler than every Nintendo character combined.

Top Bottom