• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy?! wait.. that means..

Brockman5

Smash Ace
On the official site Sakuri said that Bowser was the biggest character in Brawl.... meaning that Ridley most likely won't be a Playable character...because Ridley is way bigger than bowser...

Unless the of course made Ridley smaller....but Ridley close to the size of Samus wouldn't seem right....

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I wonder how Ridely should he heavier than Bowser is you can almost see his ripcage on his stomach and he looked very bony, unlike Bowser who looks purty fat.

I never would of guessed being skinnier would make someone more heavier than someone fat.

Croco

Smash Lord
On the official site Sakuri said that Bowser was the biggest character in Brawl.... meaning that Ridley most likely won't be a Playable character...because Ridley is way bigger than bowser...

Unless the of course made Ridley smaller....but Ridley close to the size of Samus wouldn't seem right....
Exactly how I've always felt..

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
****, I wanted to throw Nintendogs at people :(
Yeah,and then grabbing as Bowser and throwing them off the stage...oh well.

Also,any idea what the update will be tonight? It probably won't be character related,and since we've had a few stage and items updates,I like to see something different, like maybe explaining the crouching and crawling we saw in the second trailer.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
i'm liking the assist trophy idea, but a major concern i have is that they will spend too much time making tons of 'assisters,' instead of making more playable characters, and making them well.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine people going to see a new update and you read, "New assist trophy character! (your most prayed for character to be playable in brawl here)!"

Despite that, I think it seems like an interesting item and makes way for many underdogs and retro characters to make their appearance.

Brockman5

Smash Ace
i'm liking the assist trophy idea, but a major concern i have is that they will spend too much time making tons of 'assisters,' instead of making more playable characters, and making them well.
I believe that they already have their playable roster situated before throwing in assist trophies.....

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
I believe that they already have their playable roster situated before throwing in assist trophies.....
No,they didn't. The Nintendog was in the original trailer,and they said they didn't decide on all of the characters,so the Assist Trophies were set before(or around the same time) as the PCs.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
No,they didn't. The Nintendog was in the original trailer,and they said they didn't decide on all of the characters,so the Assist Trophies were set before(or around the same time) as the PCs.
Whose to say that the Nintendog was originally a separate item, but was made an assist trophy after they came up with the idea?

Sakurai said:
Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.
The characters were being considered, but ultimately didn't make the cut.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Whose to say that the Nintendog was originally a separate item, but was made an assist trophy after they came up with the idea?

You have a point, but I just don't see that as what happened,

Croco

Smash Lord

Whose to say Assist Trophies were meant to be in Melee first but it never was completed on time.. :p

skullkidd

Smash Ace

That's good, because if Hammer Bros. were considered for playable but didn't make the cut, then some of my picks stand a pretty good chance.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Sakurai also mentioned that some Assists would be very unfamilar to but a few gamers. Let's think outside the box. No, I don't mean that one random enemy you see once in the game that you killed in two seconds in, say, Gotcha Force *shrug*. Oh wow, that just hit me... NEO G RED AND RAY 01 FOR ASSIST TROPHIES! FUUUUCK YES!
I nearly pee'd myself seeing that someone besides me knows about Gotcha Force.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I think the characters were already situated before they made the AT. Sakurai's a smart man. it would make the most sense to me. the AT are pretty much characters that didnt make the cut. and Sakurai is most likely taking his sweet time just updatig the site. but has everything done already

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Sakurai has mentioned that Assist Trophies are for characters that can't quite make it into Smash as a playable character. He also wants more franchises to be represented.

So multiple Pokemon, Starfox, DKC, Earthbound, etc. franchises may not have as many characters as some people have hoped for. Lucas, Diddy, Wolf, Lucario... I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Sakurai has mentioned that Assist Trophies are for characters that can't quite make it into Smash as a playable character. He also wants more franchises to be represented.

So multiple Pokemon, Starfox, DKC, Earthbound, etc. franchises may not have as many characters as some people have hoped for. Lucas, Diddy, Wolf, Lucario... I'm afraid you're out of luck.
So Pokemon can come out of Assist Trophies????

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
i doubt that they can come out of poke balls and AT that would be too much.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
O_O

The chances! If Lloyd Irving or Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia make it, Raine Sage could be an assist trophy. She'd cast First Aid and heal about 30 damage on the summoner, and disappear. Genis Sage could...cast Flame Lance, then disappear. Collette Brunel could...throw her chakrams? Sheena Fujibayashi could summon a random Summon Spirit from ToS. Zelos could use thunder blade. Regal could do a kicking combo on an enemy, and Presea could run around swining her axe! LLOYD IRVING AND KRATOS AURION FOR BRAWL!

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Wow it's been a wile since I last posted something. Well anyways I love the idea of Assist trophies. Only thing is there is litterally hundreds of people that can pop up (way more then all the pokemon games). I'm wondering if they might make some AT's playable I mean Gorho is a big name in F-Zero, though I don't like him myself. Also I don't know if anyone posted this idea but Ridely can still be playable. In the Melee movie they show Samus fighting a playable size Ridley and though with the wings he would look bigger then Bowser but would be lighter (due to his thin flyable frame). Anyways think of the possiblities of ATs

Zelda
Darunia: With Megaton Hammer comes in swinging.
Impa: would teleport to a nearby enemy and stun it Ninja style.
Octorock: Simple sit and spit.
Moblins: Either charges with spear or throws them.
Old Man: From the NES sit there 8bit style and fires energy balls at your when you strike him.
Skullkid: Well brings that creepy looking moon down on everyone.
Tingle: No, No, No, NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Starfox
Slippy: Either using one of Assualt weapons or pulls out his trusty landmaster.
Peppy: Stands there and talks people to sleep. (I dont' know)
Rob: Cyberneticly calls the GreatFox to drop some blaster on the field.
Leon: Turns Invisible and stalks one of the opponents.
Panther: Annoys Krystal to death.
Andross: Flys into the back ground and sucks everyone up and spit them back on the field.

Metroid.
Metroid: charges and sucks the energy out of someone.
Metroid Prime: Something big and nasty but I don't know what.
U-Mos: Uses a combo of Light Beam, Dark Beam, and Annilator beam.
Kraid: I forgot what he does but he could flip the arena around like in Melee
Mother Brain: I forgot what she does.

Mario
Toad: Well I like him playable but he could grab someone and throw them.
Waluigi: I don't know what he would do.
Kid Koopas: Uses a special ability from there wands.
Birdo: Like in Melee could just spit eggs like a machine gun.

Kid Icarus
Eggplant Wizard: Can almost garantee him. Turns nearby opponents into eggplants.

Earthbound
Poo: We are Kung fu fighting Hiyaa!!
Starman: I don't know but one of his famous moves.

Kirby
Dyna Blade: I don't know what she does.
Lolo and Lala: Bonces around like kids one a suger fix.
Metaknights Men:
Waddledee

F-Zero
Pico: Not sure but something with guns and explosives.
Mr EAD: Shut up or I'll sit on you!

Misc
Unicyle: Would do off the wall loops and damage anyone in it's path.
Bald Bull: Punch-Out does his famous Bull charge
Don Flamengo: Hit him he upperuts you.
Ray 01: Fly and Shoot, Fly and shoot.
Captain Olimar: Throws Pikmin like a hand grenade.
Mach Rider: Drives around shooting missles and guns.
R.0.B: Moves real slowly and grabs some one. Does major damage.
Balloon Fighter: Don't know but I feel he should be in it.

I know I left plenty out for you to add. Well I think this is a good first post since October. I'm back with my off the wall ideas too.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I fully agree with you. Little Mac has been near and dear to my heart ever since the days of the original Punch-Out!! on NES. I can fondly remember tag-teaming with my dad; he would always help me beat Piston Honda until I was old enough and I was able to do it on my own. Mac has a TON of possibilities for Smash. Now it's up to Sakurai to utilize this potential! =)

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
uh, obviously every Mario generic charactrer should be in. ESPECIALLY: Dry Bones, Parakoopa, Bullet Bill, a bumpty, a thwomp, a lakitu, a tanoomba, and more!

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Assist trophies dosent really matter to me because i will test items for few weeks and then play without them. But i really got upset about Samurai Goroh.. I wanted him to be Falcons rival. And i may get disappointed again if some of my other favorite choices get to be assist trophy not playable character.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Oh I got some more for Trophy ideas.

Metal Gear
Psyco Mantis: Catches people within a physic wirlpool.
Metal Gear: Does what he does best.....destroy
Greyfox: Runs around slashing and saying "Hurt me. Make me feel alive."

Donkey Kong
Cranky Kong: The Original DK can run around and beat them with his cane.
Diddy Kong: Though probably playable Cartweels his way through the screen taking out everyone in his path.
Dixie Kong: Maybe playable but Takes the vertical and does her ponytail spin up the screen.
Candy Kong: Stands there and distracts the furries while your fighting.
King K. Rool: Something unstable and unpredictable

Ice Climbers
Giant Condor: Flys up and grabs one of the players and tries to pull them off the screen.

Pokemon
Professor Oak: Like peppy he talks the people to sleep.
Red: Something other then throws a pokeball.
Team Rocket:
Some of the Gym leaders

Zelda
Postman: Runs around and goes "Yah!" Does nothing
Malon/Epona: Runs off takeing out everything in there wake
Din: Uses Din's fire Link style
Farore: Teleport anyone that touches her. Can be good or bad
Nayru: Creates a barrier that prevents any damage to be done inside

Mario
Baby Bowser: Does somthing mischievious
Baby Mario: Cries and annoys everyone

Ragdoll

Smash Rookie
Now there's TWO kinds of poke balls. whoopee. they are cooler than poke balls though.

Croco

Smash Lord
No generic enemies for AT's.
Only obscure, but awesome characters, like Laughing Dog or Vaati.
I agree.. it can get a bit ridiculous with a bullet bill as a AT.
I can see even characters I'm hoping to be playable like Wart, Tatanga, Captain Syrup, and Fawful, Mii, Alice as ATs.
Characters like Mother Brain, Ridley, Medusa, Eggplant Wizard, Pokey Minch, Zoda, Balloon Fighter, Barbara the Bat, Chibi-Robo, Doshin the Giant, Nester, Mr. Stevenson, ROB, John Raimi, Tin Star, Jill, Muddy and Takamaru could work perfectly as ATs.
Laughing Dog could still work as a playable character.. but if he doesn't make the cut I still pray that he will be a AT.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Something also worth noting is that megaman sucks, as does as least 90% of his games.
Yes, but that's the spinoffs. Many of the core series are CLASSICS. Just like Pokemon games, some are great, some are awful.
If X is not playable (*sigh*) he should just do his Cross Shot from X3 :cool:

I'll bet money that Geno is an Assist Trophy. Cool character + unknown to most casual gamers = assist in my opinion.
I'd rather see a few of those (Geno, Mii, Ridely, Geno, Stafy, Tom Nook, Geno, Geno) as playable characters, but if being an Assist Trophy is the only way they'd make it into the game, that's fine by me. I really want to see an updated Geno. He's cooler than every Nintendo character combined.

Maybe they mean big in mass. And now that you mention size, with so many people wanting him, how the heck will Olimar be even visible, by that reasoning?

Smile Guy

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, people are overly critical at Assist Trophies. I think people think backwards over how it really happened, myself included. People see it as though characters would have been playable but now they're just Assist Trophies... in reality, Sakurai and the team probably considered Samurai Goro greatly before deciding that there wasn't enough room or his moveset wasn't great enough. There were then, some die-hard fans in the team who wanted him so much... and so they created Assist Trophies. Don't see it like they're stopping characters from get it in... see it as a way to reward even more fans.

I would have preferred if Assist Trophies had contained all the generic enemies and characters like Hammer Bros. and Goombas and Gorons and Octoroks and other such things. Still, I'm not entirely against characters who simply didn't quite make the cut. (Like other people seem to be.)

Top Bottom