• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy?! wait.. that means..

Caael

Smash Lord
Toad:Yes,I'd actually like to see him as an assist trophy rather than a PC

Laughing Dog and ROB(Hey, he did say some obscure would be there)

Captain Olimar(I would much rather play as him,but I think he might make a AT now,he'll be in the game either way)

Paper Mario(praying hes playable character,but I'd rather see him this way than no way at all)

Tom Nook

Miis(your Miis you've created randomly pop on screen,I think it'll be cool)

Geno

Petey Piranha

Waluigi

Slippy and Peppy(double team)

K.Rool(or a playable, either one)

Stafy

Ridley

Elite Beat Agents

Mr.Game and Watch(even though he was my favorite on SSBM, I think he'll be demoted to an assist.)
You are SO wrong about Ridley. I cant even begin to argue why Ridley should be in BRawl. Just go to his topic. No no, dont loiter. Go there. NOW.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I'm with Cael on this one, Ridley, if he's in, should be a playable character. apart from metroids and space pirates (which would make kick** Assist Trophies by the way), Ridley is the only character who has been in just about EVERY Metroid game as one of Samus's deadliest enemies.

The Assist trophies are kind of a mixed bag for me. I think it's cool that we get to see some more obscure and supporting role characters in the game, while not cluttering the actual roster of playable characters with them. But I'm also worried that some potentially good PC's will end up as trophies... well, here's hoping. I trust Sakurai to be smart about this.

Croco

Smash Lord
You are SO wrong about Ridley. I cant even begin to argue why Ridley should be in BRawl. Just go to his topic. No no, dont loiter. Go there. NOW.
Man your going to hate me when I say I hope he is a assist trophy.. :laugh:

Chepe

Smash Lord
Just think of it this way:

Goroh = not a major franchise
Ridley = major franchise

It makes it much more likely for Ridley and Diddy Kong and such to be playable than to be ATs...

It looks like Sakurai is going about this the right way. Seems that lower franchises will get more ATs while bigger franchises who need more representation (Metroid, DK, etc.) will get more playables. Sakurai probably didnt want to spend time creating a new character for F-Zero when he could make one for a more worthy franchise.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I really don't see why C. Olimar and Geno have a bigger chance of being ATs.

You know, when I get this game, I'm going to have a battle with only Assist Trophies and Pokeballs. Just think of all of the MASSIVE DAMAGE that would occur!

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Haha, not saying it is, but that generic Assist Trophy body totally looks like Viewtiful Joe. Which would be incredibly random but still awesome.

Agree with Lakitu being a good AT.

Quintalian

Smash Rookie
Hmm, some of these are good choices, but where's the obscure references, people? How about these?

Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe) -- Um... well, actually, even though he's the main character, all he does is avoid obstacles by jumping. No good. Pretty obscure though, huh?
Thomas (Kung Fu) -- Good ol' martial arts combo works well enough.
Professor Hector (Gyromite/Stack-Up) -- He could set up us the b-- er, set dynamite on the stage.
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) -- Could trap an opponent in her trademark bubble.
Mike Jones (Startropics) -- He has lots of different inventory items he could use, but I'm gonna go with the Snowman to freeze the opponent. Would last longer than a Freezie.
Centurions (Kid Icarus) -- Remember how, when you free these guys, they assist you later? Yeah, they could fire a volley of arrows!
Hikari & Donbe (Shin Oni Ga Shima) -- Yeah, I don't know what they could do. But they had a cameo in Kirby's Dream Land 3, so Sakurai must have some love for 'em.
Chamu & Goku (Yuu Yuu Ki) -- From the same series as Shin Oni Ga Shima, except about the Saiyuki/Monkey King story. Also made a cameo in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
Ice Hockey Team (Ice Hockey) -- The fat guy skates by and body checks the opponent before delivering a slapshot!
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight) -- Hmm. Picks up the opponent and tries to carry them off the stage?
Chalvo (Bound High/Chalvo 55) -- WOW. Now THIS is what I call obscure! Chalvo is a character fortunate enough to be revived after his original game (on the Virtual Boy) was cancelled. He's a red robot, and his method of attack involves rolling into a ball and bouncing around at high speed.
Tamagon (Devil World) -- Cut his trophy from the non-Japanese versions, will they?! Well, let's see them cut him when that trophy springs to action! He'd breathe fire, naturally.
Gamma Raiders (Radar Scope) -- You know your game is bad when the company recalls the arcade cabinets in order to use them for a better game (in this case, Donkey Kong). Ah well. Gamma Raiders were your basic space-shooter badguys, decending in waves and firing green plasma at you.
Prince Sable (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) -- He's a young fencer who can transform into either a frog or a snake. So that's kinda different.

The Director

Smash Lord
I like the idea of assist trophies, but I just pray to God that Diddy Kong is a playable character and not just an assist trophy...which, according to last night's update, means this is entirely possible... :ohwell:

~rh

Smash Lord
Mike Jones (Startropics) -- He has lots of different inventory items he could use, but I'm gonna go with the Snowman to freeze the opponent. Would last longer than a Freezie.
I thought you meant the horrible rapper at first :laugh:

T-major

Smash Champion
I have mixed feelings about the ATs. but for the most part I think there more good then bad; the only thing I can see being a problem is if they make awesome characters ATs instead of playable characters. then again, most of the characters that I want have such a high chance of being playable characters (King DeDeDe, Ridley, Diddy Kong) that I'm not really worried about it.

also, with Goroh being in as an AT, that means that my main, Captain Falcon, is returning as a playable character (cause it would be stupid to downgrade him to AT).

Croco

Smash Lord
Hmm, some of these are good choices, but where's the obscure references, people? How about these?

Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe) -- Um... well, actually, even though he's the main character, all he does is avoid obstacles by jumping. No good. Pretty obscure though, huh?
Thomas (Kung Fu) -- Good ol' martial arts combo works well enough.
Professor Hector (Gyromite/Stack-Up) -- He could set up us the b-- er, set dynamite on the stage.
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) -- Could trap an opponent in her trademark bubble.
Centurions (Kid Icarus) -- Remember how, when you free these guys, they assist you later? Yeah, they could fire a volley of arrows!
Hikari & Donbe (Shin Oni Ga Shima) -- Yeah, I don't know what they could do. But they had a cameo in Kirby's Dream Land 3, so Sakurai must have some love for 'em.
Chamu & Goku (Yuu Yuu Ki) -- From the same series as Shin Oni Ga Shima, except about the Saiyuki/Monkey King story. Also made a cameo in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
Ice Hockey Team (Ice Hockey) -- The fat guy skates by and body checks the opponent before delivering a slapshot!
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight) -- Hmm. Picks up the opponent and tries to carry them off the stage?
Chalvo (Bound High/Chalvo 55) -- WOW. Now THIS is what I call obscure! Chalvo is a character fortunate enough to be revived after his original game (on the Virtual Boy) was cancelled. He's a red robot, and his method of attack involves rolling into a ball and bouncing around at high speed.
Tamagon (Devil World) -- Cut his trophy from the non-Japanese versions, will they?! Well, let's see them cut him when that trophy springs to action! He'd breathe fire, naturally.
Gamma Raiders (Radar Scope) -- You know your game is bad when the company recalls the arcade cabinets in order to use them for a better game (in this case, Donkey Kong). Ah well. Gamma Raiders were your basic space-shooter badguys, decending in waves and firing green plasma at you.
Prince Sable (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) -- He's a young fencer who can transform into either a frog or a snake. So that's kinda different.
I think Mike Jones has a good chance of becoming just a playable character then a assist trophy.. but you never know.

Some other characters that might work-
Mike Anderson - Battle Clash
Giygas- Mother Series
Zoda- StarTropics
Doshin the Giant
Nester
Medusa
Eggplant Wizard - Kid Icarus
Andross - StarFox
Mother Brain (2nd Form/Standing) - Super Metroid
Dark Matter- Kirby Series
Nightmare- Kirby Series
Meta-Knights- Kirby Series
Kracko- Kirby Series
Brown Sugar Pirate - Wario Land Series

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Im hoping for a third party character to come out,
like Pacman, from Namco,
he should jump out and eat you alive, an instant kill!!!
NO! No third-party character should be an AT. Whats the point of going through all of the legal and licensing issues to have Sonic/Megaman/Pac-man or whoever else on the screen for a few seconds and then disappear? Woo-hoo.

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
many of kirby's partners from his games would make great ones

this is in my opinion where most common characters belong

some that i came up with or would be good ATs:

Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Vivian (Paper Mario)
Waluigi (Mario)
Lakitu (Mario)
Waddle Doo or Dee (Kirby)
Louie (Pikmin) Olimar as a playable character
ROB
Slippy and Peppy (Star Fox)

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
I agree Paper Mario being a good one. Anyone thinks we'll see old characters who are being removed from Brawl will appear in Assist Trophies?

Wow, Young Link came out and dashes into the fray, using his continuous sword slashes!

That'd suck.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
G&W is almost a guaranteed AT for Brawl. As much fun as he was to play with last time around, his quirkiness is almost sure to be put to use as an AT. He's had his 15 minutes of rekindled fame; now, however, I think he's climbing back down the ladder.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Nah, Sakurai likes the oddball characters; he said that "asking for only famous characters like Mario and Link to appear in Brawl... doesnt get me excited."

Ice Climbers and G&W are always on cut lists, but people always ignore the plain originality and unique build of the two characters. If Pit is in, then retro reppin' is still going. I see no reason for the Melee retros to be cut...

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
I was about to post that pic...

Also, about Assist Trophies being just like pokeballs but with different characters, what i'm thinkin is that since it said "you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it," It made me think, what if instead of carrying it around (because it does look pretty huge), you would pick one up and store it for later use? So that would make the difference..... pokeballs would have to use right away, and assist trophies would stay with you until you decide to summon.
Ok dunno if it has been said but what if you throw the AT and whatever comes out follows/stuns the character the capsule/case hits?

What if the capsules they are in have no knockback? You would just throw, connect and whatever inside would do their bidding... It would explain how these AT would be different than Pokeballs and how the characters would actually do some fighting. Athough that does not explain the Nintendog... oh well

user_name

Smash Apprentice
Remeber this Petey the Plant and King Boo will be in Brawl as AT's.
meh.. I'd really love to see King Boo as a playable character, but its probably not going to happen, so I guess I'd settle for seeing him as an AT....

Same goes for Paper Mario, Balloon Fighter, and Luigi with his vacuum. (I would actually really love for him to replace Luigi with Luigi and his vacuum so hes not just a ******** Mario clone.)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
YES! Knock Petey Piranha down to AT status. Mwahahaha... Finally he'll stay where he belongs: amongst the NPCs! =)

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
My question is then you cannot aim these things...? that would kinda suck for AT that are not full screen damaging/affecting

SmashYou6666

Banned via Administration
I like the idea of assist trophies. It's gonna crush many kids hearts of not having their favorite character not playable though, especially Ridley.

It is soooo crystal clear that Ridley will be an AT and I'm sooo ****ing happy about it. Internet kids...

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
If you clearly can't throw them, would the only way to use it just be picking it up off the ground and immediately raising it? Then what would be the point of Sakurai saying "Until you use it." It sounds like an item you can keep aside until you decide to use it, being able to attack regularly while its stored.

Anyway, that's how i would like it to be... but it kinda reminds me of the assist panels from Jump Superstars.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
ah however (sorry to be a grammar guy) you can mean you all

therefore sakurai might be saying that no one will know who it is until you (the characters fighting) use (to use an item you grab it) it

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the frequency of the assisting characters should be determined by stage? Like, Hammer Bros. appear more often on Mario stages, etc. Of course Battlefield would then become a genuinely neutral stage where assists are just completely random.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
So hey! If Ridely is gonna be a AT what was the point of putting his Boss fights in the music section?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I know there is a lot of anti-Ridley sentiment with the revelation of these ATs, but I think it is largely unfounded. Sakurai would not simply ignore such strong public sentiment to include Ridley as a playable character. Plus, Ridley trumps Dark Samus in seniority and originality. :)

Top Bottom