• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy?! wait.. that means..

Croco

Smash Lord

Once again Sakurai has surprised us. This time revealing "Assist Trophies" :)

What else could this mean?

1st off.. this still could make fans happy if their favorite characters don't make the cut as playable.
2nd.. this gives the chance of characters who may not have "Character Playability" a chance to jump in. For example.. just look at Nintendog.
3rd.. This could open doors for more 3rd party characters to make a appearance.. for example.. Snake may have gotten in.. but maybe Dracula will pop out of nowhere and unleash one his signature attacks from Castlevania. Or maybe if MegaMan makes the cut then other Capcom characters could pop up as assist characters. Or if Sonic makes the cut.. then a Super Monkey Ball character could come rolling by.

So who do you want to see or expect as assist characters?

Hound

Smash Cadet
It's basically pokeballs without the pokemon. ;o

And if megaman was an assist trophy, it would ruin the game. >=[

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
The update made me pretty upset after a while. No Hammer Bros or Goroh for playables. Its' s cool that you can still see them, but it's still upsetting to find out you can't use them.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
hmmmmmmm just realized something, that assists trophy there, is it just a some sort of dummy or is that the body of an unconfirmed assist trophy? Reminds me of falco for some reason lol.......

Croco

Smash Lord
It's basically pokeballs without the pokemon. ;o

And if megaman was an assist trophy, it would ruin the game. >=[
Yeah I noticed that.. but atleast it gives minor characters a chance to join in on the fight.

Oh and Megaman..
I just pray that doesn't happen.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Optimism, people. There will probably be quite a few people upset about Goroh's non-inclusion as a main character, but that was to be expected anyway, right? There are only so many possible PCs, and this is pretty much the most brilliant way of including those who didn't quite make it.
Hopefully, of course, there won't be TOO many Assist Trophy characters, or the chances of seeing your favorite randomly appear will be quite slim. Or maybe that doesn't really matter.
Too bad they probably wouldn't be playable via AR, either. Except maybe those you can actually damage.

Time for Assist Trophy prediction?

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Sakurai did mention that some assist trophies may only be recognized by hardcore gamers, then characters like baloon fighter and rob popped into my head.

Ryuujiin

Smash Apprentice
these assist trophies remind me a lot of the support koma you find in Jump Ultimate/Super Stars. They're more minor characters who didn't have enough to become playable but still make an appearance in the game. as with assist trophies, they come in, do whatever (attack, support, maybe even power-ups), and then disappear.

Croco

Smash Lord
Time for Assist Trophy prediction?

From Mario Universe-
Angry Sun - SMB3
The Koopalings
Petty Pirahna
Bullet Bill
Magikoopa or Kammy Koopa
Thwomp
Viruses - Dr. Mario
Clawgrip - SMB2
Donkey Kong Jr.
King Boo
Mouser - SMB2
Tatanga
Waluigi
Axem Rangers
Birdo
Cackletta
Croco
Fawful
Eggplant Man
...The list can go on and on...

Hound

Smash Cadet
Why not just scratch the pokeball item and just make some assist trophies containing them? Unless there are so many pokemon that they need their own item....

Croco

Smash Lord
Why not just scratch the pokeball item and just make some assist trophies containing them? Unless there are so many pokemon that they need their own item....
Well if you mix the pokemon with the assist trophy that could lead to too many pokemon showing up in them. Plus.. some people might get a kick out of summoning only pokemon.

Ryuujiin

Smash Apprentice
This may be how we see baby bowser in my honest opinion. Same goes for Midna/Wold Link. Now that I think about it, in Jump, the playable characters also had support koma. So maybe he might do the same with these assist trophies. Doesn't seem like a huge leap to see Link pop out, use his spin attack, and go away. If that's the case then maybe there's still hope for characters people think are screwed just because they're assist trophies.

Croco

Smash Lord
these assist trophies remind me a lot of the support koma you find in Jump Ultimate/Super Stars. They're more minor characters who didn't have enough to become playable but still make an appearance in the game. as with assist trophies, they come in, do whatever (attack, support, maybe even power-ups), and then disappear.
Same. I've never played the game but I read about it.. It was also one of the first things I thought when I saw the assist trophy.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
It seems that assist trophies could either be completely ********, or an interesting edition to SSBB.

I'm hoping that you will collect the trophies in a similar fashion to that of the trophies in SSBM, and they aren't just a pokeball clone. I would be delighted to see these trophies presented along with a sort of 'trophy deck'. Basically, any trophy you have in your trophy deck would have a chance of appearing in any assist trophies you use. There wouldn't have to be a limit on the number of trophies in one's deck, but keeping all your trophies in your deck may not be a good idea, as it would be hard for your better trophies to appear. (although there may have to be a minimum amount)

This could create interesting 'deck battle' situations where the only item turned on is the assist trophy.

Croco

Smash Lord
It seems that assist trophies could either be completely ********, or an interesting edition to SSBB.

I'm hoping that you will collect the trophies in a similar fashion to that of the trophies in SSBM, and they aren't just a pokeball clone. I would be delighted to see these trophies presented along with a sort of 'trophy deck'. Basically, any trophy you have in your trophy deck would have a chance of appearing in any assist trophies you use. There wouldn't have to be a limit on the number of trophies in one's deck, but keeping all your trophies in your deck may not be a good idea, as it would be hard for your better trophies to appear. (although there may have to be a minimum amount)

This could create interesting 'deck battle' situations where the only item turned on is the assist trophy.
Awesome idea.. it could work just like the item selection screen.
Maybe "decks" could even tie in with player registration?

user_name

Smash Apprentice
Awesome idea.. it could work just like the item selection screen.
Maybe "decks" could even tie in with player registration?
Thats exactly what I was thinking. This also brings to mind, what if there were a mode, like the invisible, staminia, and Tiny modes in SSBM, where only items would effect you? Normal attacks would do nothing.

Croco

Smash Lord
Thats exactly what I was thinking. This also brings to mind, what if there were a mode, like the invisible, staminia, and Tiny modes in SSBM, where only items would effect you? Normal attacks would do nothing.
Like a "Item duel" mode..
or.. "Trophy Assist Duel" mode.

gnosis

Smash Lord
This just increased the chances of Olimar not going in. :(
I doubt this went into the decision of who and who would not be a character. It's likely they thought of this idea -after- new character selections were already made, and if not, I still doubt it would affect it.

So, if Olimar isn't in as a playable character, it likely has nothing to do with assist trophies. All these are going to do is increase the chance of long shots at least making an appearance.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
im pretty sure olimar will be a main guy, Pikmin was like a big franchise and like they could make olimar do some cool things in brawl( i dunno i think its like an obvious choice, almost as obvious as mario being in the first ssb), thinking about it now i dont really care if samuri goroh is a playable charater, hes just a big fat guy that no one would want to use anyway

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Hey what if the characters they are taking out of brawl like GAW, Ice climbers, Roy, etc were made as assist trophies. It could happen.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
An invincible Roy? He'd charge Flare Blade, lol.
I have a lot of characters I'd like to see acknowledged but aren't likely to be playable, like Lip, Mike Jones (Startropics), heck even Crono to beat a dead horse. This feature makes cameo appearances a lot more likely, which I see as a big plus.

However, I hope Waluigi ends up playable so we can see what the creators do with him.

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
Im a bit so-so about this update. Its a shame that the odds are now off for a playable goro and I really don't like the idea of "helpers" in game.
But then again, the marvel vs street fighter game uses helpers and it seems to work alright on that. And like mvs, you will probs be able to turn em off anyways.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
WiiConnect24 being used for downloadable characters is out of the question now. If there were any plans for it, Assist Trophies wouldn't even be needed.

BlueScope

Smash Apprentice
I also thought about Marvel vs Capcom at first, and before I read that Goroh was meant to be one of those trophies, I was like "Holy cow, it's a new character!"... well, thatnks Sakurai, that was like "There you have your dream character... but you won't get it!", constantly holding it right in front of my face and then dragging it away again with a sadic smile in his face...

Ah well, let's discuss, huh... I also think that those trophies will be some kind of container for those folks that get cut out of the PC range. They can't get all original characters in for memory or being-an-******* issues, so they put them into trophies and rejoice that they found an original way. Well, it indeed is kind of practical, and meh for Goroh, but I guess sacrifices have to be made, and we can't expect to doubleplus the number of available fighters each time... think of SSB4 - 100+ chasracters? You all know that would never've happened.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman

The perfect Assist Trophy. You all know it.
Yeah, I already mentioned it in some other threads. While they cheer you, you deal more damage and your attacks have greater knockback, I guess. However, I myself would prefer this:

Interesting fact: Ouendan > EBA ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Will people STOP quoting a big picture just to say ONE SENTANCE?

Like someone said, all it means is now the characters that they decided not to use now have a second chance. I didn't like the idea of "helper characters" much myself, (though I did like them in Jump Ultimate Stars) but I've had time to think about it ,and it's prety cool. And like every other item, they can be turned off, so no biggie.

some people might get a kick out of summoning only pokemon.
How else does one have a pokemon battle? :)

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Seeing Loooooni's Avatar I think it'd be awesome if Geno could be a AT. If not a character of course. It would be awesome seeing that character in the Brawl style.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
First post in a while.....

I like it. I know it'll be like a tease for all those who wanted to see Samurai Goroh or (insert character here) in the game, but it's still better then nothing. Who knows? Maybe they will have the most popular trophies (and possibly pokeballs) become characters in SSB4, or, less likely, WIICONNECT downloads.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
How else does one have a pokemon battle? :)
I'll probably add these to my pokemon battles, myself. Being able to say "Black Knight, I choose you!" and have it be right makes for some mighty interesting duels :laugh:.

Top Bottom