• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophy?! wait.. that means..

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Professor E. Gadd needs to be an assist trophy! He could come with the Poltergust 3000 or the FLUDD and cause massive chaos!

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Yeah I was excited about the whole assist trophies but I looked to see if there were more updates. Then I saw Goroh and got all happy then noticed the item symbol, then I got angry:mad:.

Did anyone else notice he spelled Goroh like Goro?

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
its suppose to be "Goro" ...
for some reason the americans tend to add a "h" in the end to make sure you pronounce the last "o" correctly, but officially in romanji (the 'latin' way of writing japanese) there is no 'h' in the end of ANY word.

new confirmed assist throphy: Dr. Wright from Sim City

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Assist trophies:
If a character just doesnt make the cut, the next best thing is an assist trophy.

AT's are win.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Okay I get it now. And I wonder if you could select pokemon or people that come out of pokeballs or assist trophies. That would be great.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I like the idea of ATs throw in some chars not everyone knows about. Keeping the playable characters the more famous ones.

I liked Pokeballs because more often than not, in my little games we would fight for them. So ATs just add some more fun to it all.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
anybody thought about this?

Assist Trophies are like pokeballs (brings a supporting character to help you), but unlike pokeballs, the character you're using transforms into the assist trophy for a short time. Maybe this way the nintendog would bother others but not you. I think this is possible because the way it was described:

Sakuria said:
Take the capsule and hold it high!
Meaning as soon as you use it, your character transforms and the at does its thing. then you get control again once its finished.

those it sound like a good theory?

Fawriel

Smash Master
It does indeed!
It's also been noticed that, in the main AT article, the Hammer Bro seems to take Kirby's place.
And I think there has never been a screenshot showing four characters AND an Assist Trophy in the same battle...

It's perfect for several reasons:

1) The characters ARE playable in a way.
2) It's a much more "humane" treatment for deserving characters like Samurai Goroh, since they won't be reduced to mere obstacle items, and it will assure that the character doesn't pull a Marill by just walking off the stage... which would indeed be a slap in the face of Goroh fans.
3) It makes sense. Someone has wondered how Wright would pick a spot for the skyscrapers to shoot out of the ground. If it's determined by the player, there's no problem.
4) ATs for tournaments? =O

Brockman5

Smash Ace
anybody thought about this?

Assist Trophies are like pokeballs (brings a supporting character to help you), but unlike pokeballs, the character you're using transforms into the assist trophy for a short time. Maybe this way the nintendog would bother others but not you. I think this is possible because the way it was described:

Meaning as soon as you use it, your character transforms and the at does its thing. then you get control again once its finished.

those it sound like a good theory?
I actually really like this idea...this could very well be what happens.....

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
It does indeed!
It's also been noticed that, in the main AT article, the Hammer Bro seems to take Kirby's place.
And I think there has never been a screenshot showing four characters AND an Assist Trophy in the same battle...

It's perfect for several reasons:

1) The characters ARE playable in a way.
2) It's a much more "humane" treatment for deserving characters like Samurai Goroh, since they won't be reduced to mere obstacle items, and it will assure that the character doesn't pull a Marill by just walking off the stage... which would indeed be a slap in the face of Goroh fans.
3) It makes sense. Someone has wondered how Wright would pick a spot for the skyscrapers to shoot out of the ground. If it's determined by the player, there's no problem.
4) ATs for tournaments? =O
I thought about this too. Also,I noticed how in the Dr.Wright picture where's just him and the three people he's sending into the air,but know no else.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Based on the screenshots so far, this is a plausible theory which I would like. Grab the AT, transform into the character which you don't control, it performs it's attack, you change back. You can't get effected negativly by the attack, and it would make it different from pokeballs then.

Sadly until we see a shot of four characters with an AT as well or get a better discription of how they work via wqords or gameplay footage, we can't know for sure.

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah,and then grabbing as Bowser and throwing them off the stage...oh well.
i can imagine you now.. "sweet... jungle japes, lets hope i can find a nintendog to throw in the river!" although, i would probably do the same thing, just to make people feel bad for pixelated puppy

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I really like the Assist Trophy idea but I think Sakurai is being a bit lazy with this addition. I really thought Goroh was ready to be a playable character with a decent moveset. Sakurai seems like he is not trying, and I am worried that he will throw decent characters that are capable of been playable into assist trophies. (Very scared of K.Rool becoming an assist instead of a playable).

Brockman5

Smash Ace
no offense but king k rool wouldnt make a very great character...hed be like a clone of bowser...big heavy...and we dont want another one of those....but i do highly see him as an at.....

Sakurai isn't being lazy...look at the cast we know of so far....it's excellent...

We've also added third party characters which will be great to brawl...so i trust Sakurai completely.....

Caael

Smash Lord
Even if they released the game now, with only the charactes announced playable, I wouldn't care.

As for AC's, Beady long legs ftw.
Stomps around the stage with his big spider legs of death and doom. Awesome.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai isn't being lazy...look at the cast we know of so far....it's excellent...
Mmmm I completly agree with you that the characters so far are excellent but I am just saying that I think Sakurai is taking the easy way out with the addition of Assist Trophies.

Fawriel

Smash Master
It's not the ideal way.
It's the realistically best way, though.
Sakurai can't please everyone, he has a time limit and even if he didn't there would be a certain limit of space he can fit on a CD.
Meaning there can only be so many playable characters.

And whichever characters he chooses for those roster spots, there will always be people who complain about their favourites missing.
ATs reduce the amount of potential complainers.
Goroh's priority in comparison to others wasn't great enough, thus he got AT'd. If it wasn't for ATs, he wouldn't be in at all. The same will probably be the case for K.Rool, no offense intended.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Even if they released the game now, with only the charactes announced playable, I wouldn't care.

As for AC's, Beady long legs ftw.
Stomps around the stage with his big spider legs of death and doom. Awesome.
Yeah,as long as pikmin enemies are AT's and Captain Olimar is a playable character,I'm fine.

Brockman5

Smash Ace
Mmmm I completly agree with you that the characters so far are excellent but I am just saying that I think Sakurai is taking the easy way out with the addition of Assist Trophies.
No...at are just characters that didnt make that final cut....

It's not the ideal way.
It's the realistically best way, though.
Sakurai can't please everyone, he has a time limit and even if he didn't there would be a certain limit of space he can fit on a CD.
Meaning there can only be so many playable characters.

And whichever characters he chooses for those roster spots, there will always be people who complain about their favourites missing.
ATs reduce the amount of potential complainers.
Goroh's priority in comparison to others wasn't great enough, thus he got AT'd. If it wasn't for ATs, he wouldn't be in at all. The same will probably be the case for K.Rool, no offense intended.

Exactly what I was trying to say...

Yeah,as long as pikmin enemies are AT's and Captain Olimar is a playable character,I'm fine.
I want olimar in sooo bad....

Caael

Smash Lord
You'd think so far into development, all the characters that he wanted included, would be included.

AT's seem to be for
a) the characters that just missed a playable spot, Like Goroh,
b) Generic enemies/allies/Random, or characters that there are lots of, like nintendogs
c) Characters to represent an old series, like Wright

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Major topic change, but:
What I would like to say is about the Animal Crossing symbol. Alot of people are turning their heads in the direction of "Playable Character", but I'm thinking AT.
An Animal Crossing character might sound a little absurd to some people, but I think we can all agree that an AT is completely reasonable and probable. At the moment, my choice for Animal Crossing AT would be Mr. Resetti. I think once you threw him he chase across the stage with his shovel (Kind of like "Maril" when you throw a pokeball) or he could pop in through the ground in different parts of the stage, knocking away characters that stand on the hole he just popped out of (he'd make these holes by popping up obviously) .
Does anyone think I should actually make a thread for this? Has it already been done? If you think I should make a thread, should I post in Character Discussion?

Caael

Smash Lord
Thinking about AT's and Animal Crossing, didn't Dr. Wright and Nintendog both have Smash symbols? And didn't Hammer Bro and Goroh have existing symbols from their franchises? I'm guessing we'll have a playable character and an AT, or they would have just used the Smash symbol for the stage.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Thinking about AT's and Animal Crossing, didn't Dr. Wright and Nintendog both have Smash symbols? And didn't Hammer Bro and Goroh have existing symbols from their franchises? I'm guessing we'll have a playable character and an AT, or they would have just used the Smash symbol for the stage.
Uh-uh.
Using the Smash symbol would simply be wrong because it only designates stages ( or characters ) that are completely original the the Smash series and do not have a place anywhere else.
The reason why Goroh got the F-Zero symbol was that it's already there due to Captain Falcon.
The reason why Dr. Wright didn't get an icon is that he doesn't need one. He also won't have the Smash icon. Why would you see an icon anywhere in the first place when using an Assist Trophy?

With ATs, it's
"If it belongs to a repped franchise, give it the appropriate icon because why the hell not?
If it isn't repped by a character or stage, categorize it as miscellaneous."

Brockman5

Smash Ace
I was wondering about the icons too...

Uh-uh.
Using the Smash symbol would simply be wrong because it only designates stages ( or characters ) that are completely original the the Smash series and do not have a place anywhere else.
The reason why Goroh got the F-Zero symbol was that it's already there due to Captain Falcon.
The reason why Dr. Wright didn't get an icon is that he doesn't need one. He also won't have the Smash icon. Why would you see an icon anywhere in the first place when using an Assist Trophy?

With ATs, it's
"If it belongs to a repped franchise, give it the appropriate icon because why the hell not?
If it isn't repped by a character or stage, categorize it as miscellaneous."
Ohh...I guess that would explain it...but it still seems weird to me

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Ok let's think outside the game cartrige too. Another list to be put down.

Power Glove: Acts like a suped up Master Hand (really want it to be the boss)

Gameboy: Many ideas on this one. A classic (ultra thick) game boy pops out and blocks the screen with the signature "Ding!" and Gameboy roll up. Or it comes up and turns the screen Green and retro looking. Or something that it did in Captain N.

Gamecube: I think they had some idea for it in Melee but I don't know what.

Virtual Boy: Opponent walks into it and they sit down and start playing it until they get hit.

The Wii: You get smacked by a Wii. Or it Wii's all over you (and any other Wii jokes you can think off)

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
That the Nintendog thing doesn't matter,you will still be blocking your own view.
Why would he mention that it blocks your own view too... If well it didn't matter to you since your the one thats blocking the screen and can't attack.

Fawriel

Smash Master
.............................................................................................. except for a TINY little detail.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yea... I know. I just realized it too.

I'll go stand over there now.

That little yellow icon in the corner threw me off. >_>

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

I count 4 characters and a Nintendog. Hmm.....

(Though this picture is admittedly screwy anyway, since the platforms are mysteriously missing)

Top Bottom