• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Watty About Anything

King Bahamut

Smash Rookie
Ok sir I have a more serious question. I have encountered difficulty playing against Marth/J-Puff. The person that I play against has my strategy down pack, and I have began training to wavedash and super wavedash. Edge guarding has become a problem, because he has an automatic counter to what I do. Is there anything that I can do to actually have a real attempt at beating these characters again.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
you say your friend has your strategy down

change your strategy

if you're barely learning to wavedash

i'd say practice the real hardcore basics before asking in depth questions
they won't help you if you don't have your basics down

go read the intro to samus thread

a good strategy is wd back forward tilt

vs marth maybe wd back forward smash

vs jigglypuff wd back utilt

watty is dead
unless drephen comes by and posts

King Bahamut

Smash Rookie
you say your friend has your strategy down

change your strategy

if you're barely learning to wavedash

i'd say practice the real hardcore basics before asking in depth questions
they won't help you if you don't have your basics down

go read the intro to samus thread

a good strategy is wd back forward tilt

vs marth maybe wd back forward smash

vs jigglypuff wd back utilt

watty is dead
unless drephen comes by and posts
Thats what I have been doing for the last few days. Rereading these articles on wavedashing and the strategies that come along with samus. From just playing a variety of ppl I knew that there were diff strategies that came along with beating them. Marth for example slashes at my missiles thus cutting me off from using them. So yeah I know I have plenty of work to do. Also I'm trying to curb my tactics because I have a habit of doing certain moves because I always played the computer:urg: Other then that I will take all this into consideration and let you know my results.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
playing vs computers is REALLY good, as long as you play them as if you were playing real people (level 9s)

if you play them just to win, you're not going to learn much

i like to go on infinite time, no stocks vs them and just practice for a while

oh also

vs marth, if he does a short hop forward air in front of you, you can probably crouch cancel into a downsmash (this is probably one of the most effective things to do vs marths at low levels)

anyways good to hear

GreatFox64

Smash Journeyman
Thats what I have been doing for the last few days. Rereading these articles on wavedashing and the strategies that come along with samus. From just playing a variety of ppl I knew that there were diff strategies that came along with beating them. Marth for example slashes at my missiles thus cutting me off from using them. So yeah I know I have plenty of work to do. Also I'm trying to curb my tactics because I have a habit of doing certain moves because I always played the computer:urg: Other then that I will take all this into consideration and let you know my results.
this matchup is a *****hh
here are a few things that tend to work:
on a level with platforms, run towards marth in between his attacks and immediately shield and up-b. this will usually hit and position marth on a platform, putting you at the advantage (assuming you fast fell through the platform, positioning yourself below the platform). at this point, harass with SHFFL'D u-airs and maybe even a dair which can combo into a sweet-spotted b-air. utilts work on yoshi's story too. this is useful since a good marth can pretty much out prioritize and overall dominate samus on the ground.
you're right about the missiles getting slashed away, so try to use them at unexpected moments. i try to sneak them in when i ledge cancel aerial attacks or when i come down from a platform.
also, marth's love to grab. practice jab cancels.
if you're having trouble executing your style against your friend, you have to break away from your own style and fight his.

sometimes there are certain things that players need to improve upon besides merely tech skill. for example, always be watching your opponent. it'll be hard at first, but once you can control your character purely through peripherals, you'll end up countering <i>their</i> strategy.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i still haven't learned to watch my opponent, even though KFC told me to do it like a year ago lol
it's so hard when samus is so amazing to watch loooooool

Watty

Smash Lord
practice practice practice watch vids steal techniques and call them ur own

Top Bottom