• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask an atheist

rvkevin

Smash Lord
My question is: Is it really possible to be an Atheist? Depending on how you define what a god is, it could be very difficult to be one. You see, some would generically define a god as a deity unique to a certain religion, such as Jehovah Yahweh (the Christian/Jewish deity we often simply call God), the Greek gods, and the list goes on. In that case, of course its possible to be Atheist. But if you define a god as a person, deity of a religion, or thing you revere more than anything else in the world, it would require being essentially an empty shell of a man/woman to be an Atheist. Some people's god can be money, fame, themselves, a certain celebrity, a certain video game, or many other things. Nobody would deny the existence of money, would they? Nobody would say that Call of Duty 3 (as the general obsession seems to lean today) doesn't exist. If you think of it that way, what person can truly call themselves an Atheist, which is to say "without a god".
There are some basic guidelines to what god is defined to be. Some have mentioned being the creator. Some might say it must be a sentient entity. Others might say he must be benevolent, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. When you start to go into the "God is love" definitions, its just playing with semantics. We already have a term for love, money, fame, etc. so it would be unreasonable to use the label god to also describe those words. And if anyone chooses to do that, then they demote god to being something that is purely natural and would not fit the general definition of what a god means to the rest of the population.

When agreeing on what would define a god, I freely admit that some cultures may attest to some physical object being a god (Totem poles, Sagarmartha, etc), we accept that those physical objects exist, but we reject the claims about their supernatural prowess, which would otherwise make them gods. When someone says they're an atheist, its fairly safe to assume that they don't accept any supernatural claim they've been presented.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I will also answer questions, unlike Swastika I am more of a Nihilist than an Atheist, so you may get some different answers from me.

I guess I should explain why I have my views. Like Swastika, I was never brought up with Religion, I never really thought anything of it until I was maybe 10 years old. At that time, and still today, I have always been a very logical person. And logically, in my mind, if all of this was true, there would be some proof of it being true. So that is how I have come to my decision, until it makes sense in my mind that a god or other divine being exists, he doesn't.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Here's a link to what he's talking about.

This really looks like a solid (if not a bit contrived) plot for a sci-fi novel. If there was enough character development, I might consider checking it out from the library. I certainly can't put it up there with some of the other books I'm reading right now, so I'd worry about just racking up my already huge library fine. I personally like more humorous sci-fi a la Douglas Adams, but I think it would make a fair bit of money if they just marketed the book right and maybe added some lighter parts into the plot. The religious parts of it might cause book burning amongst some of the Zealots, but I guess you're always gonna get some of that...

...wait a minute...people actually believe this stuff? My my my, Fox Mulder would have been impressed...

Suspect

Smash Hero
Oh people believe it alright lol, I actually think about not coming on the internet anymore so I don't have to hear people talk about stuff like this all the time, it's so annoying (not saying they are wrong, cause who knows, it could happen!)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
A. how do you know there is not proof that you simply haven't grasped yet, and B. why does there need to be proof in the first place? That's an illogical statement in two ways.
A) Please explain. No really, give me some proof that I don't understand. Unless you mean that nobody understands it, in which case I don't think it can really be called "proof".

B) ... There needs to be proof to base something on...
Hypothetical Situation w/ Proof:
Boy: I have a pig.
Girl: Prove it.
Boy: *shows girl pig*
Girl: Oh, ok. I believe you have a pig.

Hypothetical Situation w/o Proof:
Boy: I have a pig.
Girl: Prove it.
Boy: No.
Girl: Oh, ok. I don't believe you have a pig then.

Proof is required in nearly everything, religion should be no exception. Scientists don't state their theories as correct without proof, juries don't convict people without proof and your English teacher won't believe your dog ate your homework without proof.

That should have been obvious.

john!

Smash Hero
A.) Nothing personal lol. But if someone can't understand something, that doesn't mean it isn't proven. My kid cousin probably doesn't understand Fermat's Last Theorem, heck nobody did until recent years, but that didn't mean there was no proof for it. So if nobody understands how God can be proven, that doesn't mean there isn't a proof out there.

B.) Even if there is no proof, God doesn't need proof. Maybe he needs proof to be accepted by the scientific community, or judicial branch, but that's not relevant. It's possible that God is outside our universe and that there is no proof whatsoever of His existence. That doesn't mean He doesn't exist.

That's why it's an illogical statement. It's a small point but I guess I just found it ironic after you called yourself a very logical person.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
But if someone can't understand something, that doesn't mean it isn't proven.
That also doesn't mean it IS proven. In fact, if nobody understands the evidence, then the evidence is worthless. I wouldn't even call it evidence.

God doesn't need proof.
God doesn't need proof? Saying something doesn't need ANY proof for you to believe it makes you illogical...

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
A.) Nothing personal lol. But if someone can't understand something, that doesn't mean it isn't proven. My kid cousin probably doesn't understand Fermat's Last Theorem, heck nobody did until recent years, but that didn't mean there was no proof for it. So if nobody understands how God can be proven, that doesn't mean there isn't a proof out there.

B.) Even if there is no proof, God doesn't need proof. Maybe he needs proof to be accepted by the scientific community, or judicial branch, but that's not relevant. It's possible that God is outside our universe and that there is no proof whatsoever of His existence. That doesn't mean He doesn't exist.

That's why it's an illogical statement. It's a small point but I guess I just found it ironic after you called yourself a very logical person.
So that means the only difference between god and fairies, my invisible friend Steve, unicorns, or whatever else I can make up right now, is that more people believe in god.

My invisible friend Steve is right next to me. He actually transcends all universal bounds. I know you can't see him, and it seems completely stupid to believe he's real, but he doesn't need proof. He exists anyway.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Lol at the post above mine. XD.
To add onto what others have said...

_Keno_

Smash Lord
^ I never said that no proof implies existence. I said that no proof does not imply no existence. A subtle distinction which is easy to miss...
I dont even know why you use triple negatives...

Anyways, none of the posts between that post and the last said that you said "no proof implies existence." No proof could never imply existence, thats obvious lol.

In my opinion, no proof for existence implies no existence; however, just because something is implied doesn't mean the implication is right. Its possible that something could have no proof yet still exist, its just very implausible.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Cmon Guus this thread is awesome!
Agreed. There's so much room for the discussion of rich topics here that I think it's become one of the better things about this website ( another thing , of course, is endless bickering over the latest tier list :joyful:) . This was a really good idea for a blog and it stands to the testament of the versatility of religious discussion.

We're asking about proof over the idea of god?

I found a part of an old Zizek article that I think brings up an interesting point:

During the Seventh Crusade, led by St. Louis, Yves le Breton reported how he once encountered an old woman who wandered down the street with a dish full of fire in her right hand and a bowl full of water in her left hand. Asked why she carried the two bowls, she answered that with the fire she would burn up Paradise until nothing remained of it, and with the water she would put out the fires of Hell until nothing remained of them: "Because I want no one to do good in order to receive the reward of Paradise, or from fear of Hell; but solely out of love for God." Today, this properly Christian ethical stance survives mostly in atheism.

The full article can be found >here<

...so, do you think Christian faith can maintain a strong base without a system of punishments and/or rewards? Would the question of god's existence be so thoroughly investigated and argued over by Theists if they had no real stake in the outcome, or Would it basically turn everyone into Apatheists?

Lol at the post above mine. XD.
To add onto what others have said...

Wow. I honestly don't understand why people have to be such huge ****ing ***holes when it comes to religion.

I never in my 15 years of life have seen anyone religious try to pull that **** off. I know I haven't. I know none of my friends have. So I don't understand why aethists have to stereotype all religious people like that. Wake the **** up. This isn't the Middle mother****ing Ages. This isn't the Inquisition. This is the twenty-first century. The only place where you're likey to find such violent zealots is in Mecca or Vatican City, and you'd be digging your own hole if you went there and started preaching (lol) against a higher entity.

I'm sorry, I usually try to make peace with aethiests, because my philosphy is to not give a **** about people's religious views. There's a huge, pastely black streak between religious and social life from where I'm standing. But when an aethiest starts *****ing on me and trying to incite my anger by saying that I have **** for brains for believing in faery-tales and that every single priest I ever meet is going to want to sodomize me and I try to be reasonable with them and try to let them see why I'm Christian and I'm not scared of dying because it's going to happen anyways to all of us and they still keep on with it, it just makes me rant like this.

Honestly now, can't we all just grow up and get along?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Even if there is no proof, God doesn't need proof. Maybe he needs proof to be accepted by the scientific community, or judicial branch, but that's not relevant. It's possible that God is outside our universe and that there is no proof whatsoever of His existence. That doesn't mean He doesn't exist.
There still needs to be evidence in order for the belief to be justified. Otherwise, you would be forced to accept contradictory claims. Also, absence of evidence is evidence of absence if we should expect to find evidence if the claim were true. For example, if someone claimed that an elephant ran through their house, and you went to investigate, and found everything was intact, the absence of broken items would be evidence against the elephant claim. The same is said for god. For example, it can be shown that intercessory prayer is ineffective and is therefore evidence against those gods who grant such prayers. The only problem with investigating god claims, is that each claim is different and must be identified before investigation.

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike"-Delos B. McKown
Until you find a way to distinguish the two, I will group them together.
Wow. I honestly don't understand why people have to be such huge ****ing ***holes when it comes to religion.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1015/1293978130_ecbdbce6f6.jpg

Beliefs inform actions. Irrational beliefs inform irrational actions. Need I say more?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
^ I never said that no proof implies existence. I said that no proof does not imply no existence. A subtle distinction which is easy to miss...
So why do you decide to believe one god/religion over another (or at all, I suppose)?

I'm sure this has been brought up 20 times in this thread, but it's also 39 pages long.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

I never in my 15 years of life have seen anyone religious try to pull that **** off. I know I haven't. I know none of my friends have. So I don't understand why aethists have to stereotype all religious people like that. Wake the **** up. This isn't the Middle mother****ing Ages. This isn't the Inquisition. This is the twenty-first century. The only place where you're likey to find such violent zealots is in Mecca or Vatican City, and you'd be digging your own hole if you went there and started preaching (lol) against a higher entity.

I'm sorry, I usually try to make peace with aethiests, because my philosphy is to not give a **** about people's religious views. There's a huge, pastely black streak between religious and social life from where I'm standing. But when an aethiest starts *****ing on me and trying to incite my anger by saying that I have **** for brains for believing in faery-tales and that every single priest I ever meet is going to want to sodomize me and I try to be reasonable with them and try to let them see why I'm Christian and I'm not scared of dying because it's going to happen anyways to all of us and they still keep on with it, it just makes me rant like this.

Well, I can explain just a little.

While you may not see violent zealots just walking on the street, you really need to consider the past of religion. Committing a ridiculous number of atrocities (the Inquisition, Crusades, and too many others to name) both past and present (lest we forget about the Catholic Church's little boy woes that are now around the world), you would think that such an institution's reputation would be in shambles after this.

However, what religion does is just say "We're sorry, we should have known better," and suddenly every single problem is swept under the rug. To put this better, this boils down to two things:

1. Belief in something without proof. (That's faith btw) &
  2. The consistent swinging of your fists while hitting everyone's nose (gay marriage anyone?).
However, I won't say you have sheet for brains or what not. However, when I ask for some demonstrable evidence of your faith, you should be able to show some. If not, then you should strongly reconsider why you are a practitioner.

That's just my take on it.

Obv. :012:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Grow up and get along? This is coming from the guy swearing his **** off at something as small as that image? The reason I posted it is because the person I replied to was saying exactly that, "just because proof hasn't been found of god's existence, doesn't mean he doesn't exist", making the picture I posted quite appropriate.

Oh and I'm Nihilistic (not Atheist, similar though), if you want to go on about stereotypes, people think we are a crazy cult of emo vampires.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hence why I said "pure agnostic". Almost everyone, believers and non, is agnostic to some extent.

Keep in mind that the ancient Greeks likely did not consider the thunder god to be within the realm of science. The heavens are too far away! But now we know how thunder works. It is science, and just because it's not testable now doesn't mean it never will be.

Well first of all, God is a scientific theory like I said above. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Saying "look around you" is actually great advice, because the Universe itself is the evidence. The fact that there is something rather than nothing demands an explanation. Never in human history have we seen something come from nothing.

So you can't compare God to the invisible elephant, or invisible pink unicorn, or whatever, because there's no unexplained evidence for them. The universe could get along fine without them. God is a different story, because the laws of the universe as we know them cannot explain the existence of the universe itself, so it's not unreasonable or superfluous to think that there might be a being responsible for it.
Think of it this way, "if the laws of the universe as we know them cannot explain the existence of the universe itself, so it's not unreasonable to think that here might be a being responsible for it", as you said, then keeping in mind "the laws of the universe as we know them", something must have created God. And if something created God, something must have created the thing that created God, and so on. Which means, logically, something being created from nothing is the only possible way the universe could exist.

@Godsmith2
Difficult question, I'd have to say "Troll Flavour", mmm delicious Troll Cheese.

john!

Smash Hero
The thing is Indigo, most atheists genuinely believe that religion is bad for society. At first glance it would seem that a number of injustices and wars were made because of religion. Usually though, religion is just used as an excuse, a way to control people and incite their passions. This says nothing about the actual truth of the religion, merely its effects on society. But if religion didn't exist, I'm nearly certain people would become "fanatics" about something else. We already have political fanatics and philosophical fanatics who impose their standards of truth and morality on others. Religion shouldn't be held accountable for man's desire to say "I'm right and you're wrong". It's human nature. In fact you've already noticed how militant atheists act like religious fundamentalists, with their intolerance, insults, closed-mindedness, etc. It's just the way that self-righteous people do things. If they believed in God they would act the same way, with a slightly altered message. So religion isn't the problem here, we humans are.

GT, if God exists outside the universe then he is probably not bound by our constraints. I would only presume that something outside our universe "necessarily exists", it might be God or might not, but it's probably not in our universe, because our physical laws won't allow it. So you can't say "God needs a creator" and "something must have been created from nothing" and "God is not that something", because you're talking about a domain about which we have pretty much no freaking clue, outside our universe.

Kevin, the rule can be applied to our universe: if it was not created, there must be some way to create matter and energy from nothing. Modern understanding of physics overwhelmingly indicates that this is not the case. There should be evidence for it if it's possible, but there is none. Also, abs. of ev. may be ev. of abs. but it isn't proof. In fact it's likely that the Creator of all things doesn't really care whether we know if He exists or not. So you can't make a real case against the concept of God from that.

Also, some of the websites posted here are hilarious, but keep in mind that those are just examples of ppl from my 1st paragraph and don't indicate anything about the ideologies themselves.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Than you said he was illogical for not thinking the same way as you.

Melo didn't say no proof was existence either. He was just saying that, by your logic, you certainly can't DISPROVE that his invisible friend Steve is there, so it's illogical to say that Steve does not exist.

Also, john, if bad religious people would do bad things without the religion anyway, than it follows that good people would do good things without the religion as well. And if everyone would act the same regardless of whether or not religion was around

WHY KEEP IT AROUND?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
oh btw:

" But when an aethiest starts *****ing on me and trying to incite my anger by saying that I have **** for brains for believing in faery-tales and that every single priest I ever meet is going to want to sodomize me"

who said that stuff?

edit: guys, landoverbaptist is a PARODY website. the threads are not real, they are a bunch of people pretending to be fundamentalists.

although it's very telling that it's so difficult to tell the difference between the parodies and the real ones.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The thing is Indigo, most atheists genuinely believe that religion is bad for society. At first glance it would seem that a number of injustices and wars were made because of religion. Usually though, religion is just used as an excuse, a way to control people and incite their passions. This says nothing about the actual truth of the religion, merely its effects on society. But if religion didn't exist, I'm nearly certain people would become "fanatics" about something else.
So, lets let them continue killing each other over religion? I don't see the point. It's like saying why bother curing malaria, people will just die by a different disease. If you are able to eliminate one cause, it is worthwhile to do so. If people fight over economic, political, etc. problems, I think it is worthwhile to eliminate those problems as well. To say that people will become fanatic about something else once these problems have been eliminated is incorrect evident by the societal health of the Scandinavian countries.
Religion shouldn't be held accountable for man's desire to say "I'm right and you're wrong".
OK, but I will hold it accountable when it's holy book tells believers to "strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them (referring to unbelievers)." and then the followers do so because their "god's word" told them to. Its one thing to be in the wrong, its an entirely different thing to advocate intolerance and violence.

And what's so wrong with people saying "I'm right and you're wrong," that is, as long as they provide sufficient reason or evidence to show that the they are correct and the other person is wrong. The problem with religion is that the latter is not included in the discussion, it literally falls flat on its face in trying to support itself with reason. Religion should be held accountable when its adherents hold to a dogmatic view and cause harm by it.

And I don't fully share your sentiment that man has a desire to say "I'm right and you're wrong." I don't mind if someone tells me that I'm wrong, as long as they also give sufficient evidence and reason for their claim. That way, instead of being wrong this one time, I can be right in the future, and it also increases my knowledge, which makes my decisions based on more accurate information. This is another fault of religion, it claims "I'm right and I can never be wrong;" with such resistance to change, it is unlikely for its adherents to be swayed by physical evidence and reasoned logic.

In fact you've already noticed how militant atheists act like religious fundamentalists, with their intolerance, insults, closed-mindedness, etc.
Intolerant? Examples are needed. The "new" atheists are in no way intolerant, criticism is not intolerance. Closed minded? Examples are needed. As for insults, they go both way, but are no way more prevalent on the atheist side, I suggest you learn to ignore them.
Kevin, the rule can be applied to our universe: if it was not created, there must be some way to create matter and energy from nothing. Modern understanding of physics overwhelmingly indicates that this is not the case. There should be evidence for it if it's possible, but there is none.
Why must there have been nothing? If by understanding physics, you mean understanding the Big Bang Theory, then you must know that at the Planck time, there was a singularity, and not nothing. So, what evidence do you have that there was nothing? I'll answer the rhetorical by saying, we know nothing before the Planck time, so trying to answer such a question is beyond the ability of anyone at this time and the laws of physics most likely break down at said time. By the way, there are several hypothesizes of how energy can come from nothing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo). Basically, the sum of the energy in the universe is zero, meaning that it can come from nothing. "If you have nothing in quantum mechanics, you'll always get something." Its still very much an open question and to say otherwise is against the modern understanding of physics.
Also, abs. of ev. may be ev. of abs. but it isn't proof.
Who said anything about proof? Proof is really only applicable to mathematical models, in the real world, we use evidence to support claims.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
GT, if God exists outside the universe then he is probably not bound by our constraints. I would only presume that something outside our universe "necessarily exists", it might be God or might not, but it's probably not in our universe, because our physical laws won't allow it. So you can't say "God needs a creator" and "something must have been created from nothing" and "God is not that something", because you're talking about a domain about which we have pretty much no freaking clue, outside our universe.
"No freaking clue" = "No basis"
Which brings us back to our previous argument, god COULD exist, elephants COULD fly around in space.

The only support for his existence being, from what I can see, that in our laws of reality something cannot be created from nothing, and therefore that the universe must have come from some where.

If you are saying that the laws of reality may not apply to God, that has the same chance of being true as any other theory to the creation of the universe not being bound by the laws of reality.

Seems to me that any "universe creation theory" has to assume something can come from nothing, or none of them would work anyway.

But chicks dig that these days, boo-ya! ;).

HNNNGGGG
Boo-ya indeed. :p

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
In fact you've already noticed how militant atheists act like religious fundamentalists, with their intolerance, insults, closed-mindedness, etc.

You really don't want to go here...

...unless you can bring up some examples of the latest bombings in the name of Atheism...

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I believe my question was unanswered.
I replied back around page 25

Not particularly. In fact I somewhat dread announcing it to people because of how swiftly your relationship can be affected. I would be proud, but the only thing atheism has ever really accomplished is to make me feel about a hundred times more ignorant than I did before.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I haven't bothered to look at all the posts, but what is the basic argument in a nutshell?

rvkevin, you an atheist, or...?
In a nutshell, that every argument presented for theism has failed.

And yes.

Top Bottom