• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
god i hate people who just dd out of my nair range -_- i have to do so many weird gimmicky approaches to get in

and by people i mean fast characters. lol

feels bad man

sigh maybe i should just not be scared and close space before approaching...

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
^ I had this problem too but I think you just have to over-commit on your approaches. Unless of course it's a fox who's so fast he can out run you're over-committed approaches...

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yall don't know about my Roy... :p

You've only seen the dino.. (most of you)

ya'll aint ready for my Roy.. :p

just like they weren't ready for Axe's Young link..

I'll show yall :p

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Axe's yl was pretty ridiculous. I also have the problem of people calling my approaches easily since I dash dance too far away. It's really just against fox and marth though. fox just runs back and grabs me after and marths just put out any attack <_<. I realized today that I'm absolute trash at DIing fox's upthrow upair. its like the only reason i don't like the match up...and i really don't like the match up. would a good way to practice be having my friend just play fox and constantly attempt to do it...?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
^ that's the m2k training strategy lol, works well but you could just do it during friendlies which is more entertaining. try changing your timing until you get it, and make sure you're doing both the greystick and cstick

i have the same probelm of dd'ing far away, for me it's a falco habit i think because falco's run is very slow he's kind of forced to dd farther away to compensate for fast opponent, otherwise he just gets run over by fast chars. thankfully falco also gets to retreat to platforms really fast and has lasers lol

it's part of why sometimes i prefer smaller stages for pika even though the general consensus is that pika wants more room and that ys sucks for him. i think that only really applies against slower characters, and against faster characters you don't want them to have the option of running whenever to a safe space with their back to a mile of earth or something

i also have a problem of being predictable with nair, and at that point i have to do really stupid/weird approaches like fh dair or sh waveland or something equally stupid (depending on what they're doing) and that's when i start getting frustrated at pika lol. i wish he had more genuine approach options that weren't gimmicky. my favorite gimmick approach is running sh uair where the front of uair reaches in front of pika to almost give him more priority

overextending approaches doesn't really work vs fast characters with good dds if they have space, so like fox/falcon/marth can easily outspace a very overextended nair by reacting to your commitment with space>attack. you kind of have to force them near the edge or to an uncomfortable position (usually in a way so that they can't dash out of nair trajectory/are above you) where then you could sort of mislead them into reacting...but that feels really lame <_______< plus at that point nairing isn't the best punishment anymore, might as well just cover with grab or dsmash

it's all very frustrating :( if i could just stick to my opponent like fly on **** then i'd be happier lol. but first i gotta work on my dd'ing.

idk im just impatient in general and always want to be doing something lol :c

im also really tired so parts of this post might be really badly written

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
So I've decided that I wanna like, get good at this game if you can believe that. And one thing I wanna start doing aside from practicing is uploading more videos, unfortunately I need to buy a capture card. The few that I've posted in the past were on my friend's capture card who is now in college so I can't use it. He never liked uploading anyway cause he thought we sucked so much that it wouldn't matter actually, but I at least want to see the videos myself. Anyway, my question is this: Do you guys know of a dependable capture card that isn't too expensive? Everyone that I've looked at has such mixed reviews that I don't know what to make of them. I don't need crazy HD recording, just one with reasonable quality that I can depend on, hopefully no more than like $40-$50. (I asked my friend what he had and he said it was a dazzle, but didn't know what kind <_<) Anyway yeah, just let me know.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
honestly you can just get a super cheap easycap setup if you don't mind the quality and just want something to watch yourself with/have others critique, and you can squeeze out some surprisingly quality videos with it.

read this thread for a better recording guide

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298260

if you don't have it already i suggest getting a new wii/cube video cable that also has an extra s-cable extension for higher video quality, also saves you complications from splitters

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I am a capturing/recording guru. Will post more later, playing some Battlefield 3. For now, Dazzle DVC100 is as standard as it gets.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^
still looking forward to hearing from this capture guru lol

The things I was looking to buy are:
Capture Card:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GHHVWI/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Splitters:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Ste...&keywords=gold+RCA+splitters+male+to+2+female

A/V cables:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...inkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000V0BV52

Is that all of the hardware I'd need? or is there something I'm missing? I'm also pretty sure since I'm buying a used capture card from amazon that it does not come with the pinnacle studio thingy. Where would I want to get that if it doesn't come with the dazzle?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Do you use PC or Mac?
For mac, you can use EchoFX videoglide (its free)

For PC there are a bunch of alternatives, just look it up ^^

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Don't use Mac. Step one.

Pretty sure they sell Dazzles at the local Best Buy. I'd go with new. You also have the wrong splitters in that link. In fact, you can get everything you need from Best Buy/Radio Shack. Radio shack has the splitters and extender(RCA) you need.

Smuckers aren't you from Mt. Vernon lol? We probably go to the same Best Buy. The Best Buy on Central Ave in Yonkers has a Dazzle, saw it when I was helping a buddy of mine buy computer speakers. And on your way down, you can stop at the Radio Shack in Cross County and pick up the cables you need. The same radio shack where I bought my friends Dazzle equipment lol

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Where the hell do you live and if you're so close why do we never play? Lol. Anyway, I looked at a new dazzle at bestbuy and it was really expensive. Are the kind of splitters I need 1 male to 2 female or 1 female to 2 male?

:phone:

Diske

Smash Rookie
Long time since my last post...
Hey everybody, I don't know if anyone remember me, I'm the Pika main from Mexico.
I was passing by, and then I decided to ask for some advices in the peach matchup. Last week I played with a Peach, and I realized that pikachu can't trade hits (at least nair) and it was really hard to get around without it, so, anyone has an advice for the matchup? i would really like one.
Thanks for the help :D

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I had to drop Pikachu, cuz he didn't want me to show it to the world... it was too amazing.. with my awwsum skeeiiillllz

*sigh* true story...

He knows.. :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
Axe is the best player ever and he has a better Yoshi and Roy than I do because I'm gay :D
Why thank you very much Vman! I agree 100% :D

My Roy is the greatest in the universe >=D

<3 vman lol.

About Peach... my advice is to definitely not try the spacing game vs her. I like to go for grabs a lot, and go for those really far cross-up Nairs for pressure (Don't hit her shield too early with your Nair, cuz she can punish OOS with a floating Bair. Try starting your Nair when you're like already halfway through her shield). Definitely lots of Uairs to avoid those CC Dsmashes too lol.

I hate fighting against Peach. So tough :(

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Good peaches will never commit unless they're certain of spacing their attack right...how annoying...

I have to disagree with Axe here though - as Pikachu, you're the character that's faster and has more maneuverability. If you can't take advantage of the spacing game, then Peach surely shouldn't. At the very least, you should be able to hold your space with the threat of dashdancing as much as she does with her floating or something. The difficulty is picking the right time to jump in against her during spacing.

Of course if you can keep her grounded and prevent the floating fortress...then forget about it lol.

I think using platforms to get around peach/staying above Peach on platforms is a good idea since peach sucks at moving around platforms, although I haven't had the opportunity to test this lately...conventionally Pikachu shouldn't stay on platforms that often but Peach can't really do much to ascend to platforms with approaches. I also want to test high-angle ftilt against her doing a falling aerial from float.

EDIT: Oh yeah, go for as many gimps as you possibly can against peach. And when peach is grounded, run train on her with shffl nair crossups.

EDIT: And rising uair can be cc'd at really low %'s so be wary about that.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Hmmm I've found that trying to play the spacing game vs her (that is, staying on 1 side of her trying to just poke moves) results in a lot of trades, and it really isn't the best idea to be trading with Peach as Pikachu (unless she's trading with your Usmash/Fsmash).

I've been more successful going for cross ups and grabs, but maybe the spacing game could work if you're very good at it. It hasn't worked for me though lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You should definitely abuse your strength in that matchup which is speed and it allows Pika to not get punished from Peach's OOS game if you do it right. I'm not sure Pika wants to stand still and play the poking game like Ganon does.. lol.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
If only Pika had Ganon's fair...<_<

@Axe
Yea I see what you're saying, if by spacing game you meant focusing on poking I definitely agree with you. Pika's pokes aren't very good against Peach but I think using upangled ftilt defensively can avoid trades pretty well in certain opportunities...just an idea in my head though. Peach could still adjust accordingly to trade with it though, I think.

When I was talking about the spacing game though I was also considering spacing Peach until opportunities arise for quick crossup nairs and such. It's kind of like Fox where he can pick times to jump in with approaches while covering decent distance - stuff like that I count into the spacing game since you still have to space until you bait a whiffed approach, or at the very least an ideal time for using crossup nair.

I guess you could just call that general spacing...different semantics I suppose :) lol

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
A crossup is when you jump towards someone and land on the other side. I think it's more often used in traditional fighters than Melee, but we talk about it a lot since Pikachu has one of the best crossup games in Melee...imo.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Just attack from non-sword-able angles, or not-likely-sworded angles.

:bee:

Alternatively, use your shield and wd oos after sword lands on shield.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
To clarify, the point of a cross-up is to prevent your opponent from knowing how to react. Particularly in melee, landing behind someone means they can't shield grab you, but if they're ready for it then they'll do something else to punish. It's just a type of mixup

AXE 09

Smash Master
Nair crossup to rising uair = unstoppable
Definitely this. This is like my most used technique lol.

Against Marth, waveshielding is very powerful. Pika's shield generally isn't that great but it's an amazing tool in this matchup.

I generally like to push my way in with a mix of waveshields and approaching SH Nairs. Even if Marth hits you, trading hits is actually good in this matchup (as opposed to Peach. Screw Peach). I usually keep trading hits with him until I eventually knock him off his feet or get him into the air. And from there, you can get some good combos and series of hits on him. He's not too difficult to edgeguard once you get him off stage, and there's not really any setups he has against you to get a guaranteed tipper Fsmash, so I usually live til like 125% - 150% per stock, whereas he can die before 100% in most cases.

The hardest part is finding those holes Marth has to hit him. It's difficult to fight a Marth who excels at the keep-out game (like Taj), but once you get in, he's done if you keep the pressure up. His job is to keep you out and tech-chase you when he gets a grab, and your job is to get in his space and combo/edgeguard him to death.

By the way just some advice: If you're being techchased, your tech in place is incredible. Tech in place and buffer roll right after. A lot of times even if he predicts your tech in place, his grab still misses cuz Pikachu's freakin awesome like that.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Do you mean rolling in general or rolling out of tech in place? Rolling past him after tech in place could be useful if he tries to do a knee-jerk reaction to your tech, but if he just waits for your reaction rolling behind him is easier to cover than rolling away from him. I personally like tech in place > spotdodge against people when I'm not sure if they'll wait or not.

Rolling past him in general to get to the other side can also be useful on occasion just to reset your position, just remember you can also crossup nair to get past him, or even empty crossup. Only roll when you're sure you won't be punished/when you know Marth is about to attack you.

Jumping above Marth can often mean you're about to be comboed from my experience. You should maintain control of the main stage and try to get him above you instead. However, jumping over his horizontal approaches and using platforms can get you out of sticky situations.

EDIT:

On the subject of regaining stage control...I think every Pikachu should learn to do invincible ledgedash (wavelanding as soon as you can after grabbing the edge) > running shffl nair consistently. It's such a fast way to regain the center stage with relative safety and a bit of pressure when you're cornered, not to mention the invincibility frames provide a small blanket of safety for when you want to nair your opponent from the side of the stage.

You can also pull a Fox and invincible ledgedash > usmash/dsmash when people aren't respecting your ledge options. It's almost as effective minus the lack of ledgedash distance.

Top Bottom