• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Hello Mr. Game & Watch boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!
I think its a pretty easy match up for us. Well not EASY but very manageable. I see it as 60:40 in our favor.

We can survive for longer thanks to Bucket Braking and ROB's not so good killing power, we have better killing power, we have great recovery so we don't get gimped, ROB's a big target so he's easier to hit with aerials, especially our B-Air and N-Air. Correct me if I'm wrong but we have more range as well. The only annoying thing is projectiles which if we have good enough reaction time can bucket the laser and we can also use Gyros against you. And U-smash and D-smash can catch us off guard.

Splice

Smash Hero
what Makke says is true-ish

But if GaW has the % lead
ROB cant get it back thru camping as GaW can avoid all these things effectively
and GaW can out-plank ROB and ROB cant do much vs planking GaW

He can't approach us amazingly tho
But his OoS ground game is good frame data
Utilt doesnt get GaW stuck though lol wtf

We have pretty good OoS options vs him too
But he also has better/safer approaches on us

Defensive GaW can beat ROB but you have to be very careful as he can land easy kill moves.

ROBs Nair makes me so nervous.

I say 60:40 still.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
ROB's nair doesn't straight up beat us. It's slow, and only the last bit of it beats us. You can definitely attack him with a nair on reaction and hit him out of it, not at all hard to do.

Our edge guarding vs him is sooooo good. Guaranteed fairs, dairs, bairs and upB's off stage give us so much room to do damage. ROB dies stupid early for his weight class to dsmash and usmash, and baiting a roll isn't hard because ROB rarely has better options when we get in close to him.

I'd say after all the camping he has on us we still have this match-up at a solid +1, coming close to a +2. I wouldn't be against a +2.

Splice

Smash Hero
yeah our edge game, whether we are the ones off or rob is the one offstage
we ****

ROBs UpB is a very vulnerable UpB.

Also I know we beat his Nair but
It's still quite the move and if he whiffs it whilst we are doing a high up juggle, we can die stupidly low.
It's a swift punish and it can punish even the smallest mistakes
so its a pretty important move in the match up imo

is +2 = 70:30?
Im not familiar with the +1 / +2 etc. way of doing MUs yet.
I think this is 65:35 for GaW at best.
not worse than 60:40.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
+1 is like 51-49 to like 60-40, while +2 is like 61-39 to 70-30 about. Something like that at least. Nothing too specific.

Nair is definitely a threat, but I feel it's a gimmick move that still scares people because ROB isn't a very popular character, and most won't know how vulnerable it really is. Nair is a great defensive move, that can stop approaches, but for escaping juggles? That shouldn't happen.

Splice

Smash Hero
ah k i see. I like the general non-specific-ness of the +1 thing, thats not bad.
In that case I would say its probably a mild +2
Hmm it could be a bit misleading though :p

Nair isn't a gimmick really. ROB isnt popular but over my time playing smash ive consistantly played against ROBs so I have some experience. Ive gotten past the close range game and his tilts and everything very well, and his offstage game. If I dont concentrate though I take too much damage trying to get on stage or approach. I still find approaching ROB can get my *** handed to me.

Not so much for escaping juggles but say you were really high up with ROB and you wanted to try something risky... against most chars we can do this but Nair just has a weight of risk to it thats ridiculous.

It's great when ROB stays out of GaW range SH Nairs for pressure and defense too, it's pretty scary.

I'm not saying it has the best frame data, but its obviously got some speed to it, and it can be pulled out in the air (when on platform vs ROB this move can be especially dangerous) and it can hit up and it has a lot of power. It's just something that needs to be dealt with carefully.

If you dont screw up your juggles you will be fine. I'm just saying there is a high risk associated with screwing up anything vs ROB because of Nair.

lol when i make a somewhat large post only dealing with Nair it seems like im over-centralizing its place in the MUs Meta-game way too much. lol w/e

@Alphicans - i saw u were a top 5 GaW in that Character placings thread. iirc it was you lol... :D
What region are you from / who do you play / what are your placings?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am from western Canada. I guess I am the best GaW in Canada, and place top 2-3 in my province, and can place top 1-2 in the province next to me (BC). People might think my placings are due to me being in a ****ty region, but I can confidently say that the top 5 or so in my area are definitely good players, and the top3 have upset potential at a national. Not to say we'd get like top 10 or something, but the potential is there to take a few names. All of our top players cept one are going to Genesis (including me) and I am planning on repping GaW hard there so I can justify my status on that thread.

Splice

Smash Hero
That is very nice! Those are good placings.
Who are the top players in that area though? Anyone I might have heard of?

I come from Australia I'm sure everyone assumes my placings are from the fact that we only have a few top level players.
It's partly true. lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The top 3 in my province are Superboom, KillL0ck and I in that order. I was 2nd best for a very long time, but recently KillL0ck has been beating me. He mains marth and is legit. Hard to compete with a good marth who has learned the match-up :/. I am probably going to use MK vs him lol.

Superboom is like 2nd or 3rd best IN THE WORLD at 64 smash, and I can say the skills do transfer from game to game. He is also the best melee player in my province.

Other top players from my province are Arsenal, Fiji and Frio, but I doubt you've heard of any of us, or anyone from Canada really save Ally and holynightmare.

EDIT: You might've heard of Kuraudo actually. He's a sonic that went to WHOBO, and got out of pools taking sets from good people, and took a game off of seibrik, and gave logic a legit run for his money. He's probably like 8th or 9th in my province though, although he may have gotten a lot better since his trip, so the tournament this weekend should show what he's got lol.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah I know Superboom. A 64 Player in Australia wants to sponsor Superboom here for some big event.
And I've seen 1 or 2 brawl vids. Not bad :p

Kuraudo sounds legit too.

Cool, I never realised you were so legit Alphicans xD
your consistat top 3 placings one ups my consistant 3rd or 4th placings xD
Plus you have SuperBoom. Do you beat him much?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't go GaW vs him often. He plays a super defensive MK, and it's a total *****. I go falco vs him, and the games are always super tight, like last stock, game 5 type ****. He always somehow comes out on top :/.

I used GaW vs him a couple times the last few tournaments, and like I got gayed really bad by transforming blastzones. I am salty to say the least. Both games were mine haha.

Splice

Smash Hero
Damn that sucks -__-
I reckon you should stick with GaW :p
It definitely can be done

Any vids of you vs Superboom?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well I co-main falco and gaw. Falco was my original main I guess, but I picked them both up at relatively the same time (like GaW a month later or so). I like GaW for match-ups I am not 100% on because he's so versatile, and I also have him for Pika/match-ups he does a lot better in (like kirby and sheik for example). I also prefer GaW vs MK on RC, and I prefer GaW vs marth over falco, but I prefer MK over both of them lol. Snake I am comfortable using all three, but I'll usually go falco vs him.

I am still a true GaW player, and he's the character I care the most about, but I also value winning, so I use a ton of characters.

EDIT: There are vids of us, and all of AB, but note that anything 8 months or older is a very bad representation of our skill level, at least imo.

Splice

Smash Hero
I find more characters has only ever brought me down.

Then again I attempt to comain characters that appeal to me, not for winning.
Like DK and ROB, which didnt really acheive anything.

I'll watch some vids another day :)

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Wow can't wait to watch you at Genesis Alphicans!

And on that thing about Canada, I hadn't even heard of Holy Nightmare until Apex :laugh:

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Okay thank you for the information, really appreciated. I would say it's a solid -2 for R.O.B. (40:60).

Splice

Smash Hero
Hey Alphicans

If you see a Sonic/Lucario/Wario/MK main
DJBrowny / Browny / DJB
He's from Australia and he's going to genesis. You should play him :D

idk if he's any good anymore though he hasnt entered a tournament for ages
but im pretty sure he's still good.

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah I name search so what, everyone does

I'm up for friendlies/MM's with everyone though :) ID DO IT FOR SPLICE.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Hey Splice and Browny, do you guys ever get any Kiwi (New Zealand) competition there? Man I sure wish we had Auzzie competition here but the scene is really weird and unorganized here.

Splice

Smash Hero
Are you from NZ JMoney?

i knew there were a few melee players from New Zealand
but since ive been in the scene (early 2009) there has been no New Zealand and Australian interaction
At least, not for Brawl.

I wish the scene was a lot bigger, with more characters to play against and more players to experience.
The scene here is so isolated compared to America :c
American Smashers so lucky

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not all American Smashers are lucky. I for example have been isolated from all the good competition just simply because I don't have the time or resources to get to venues that are more than an hour away from me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hmmmm, I met Paper a while ago. It should be interesting if I get to meet him again.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
What do ya'll do after you turtle someone's shield? I use to just run away, but I just started jabbing their shield or going straight for a grab.

What do you do after you turtled someone's shield?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Against Snake, I almost always shield after B-airing his shield. For example, he cannot punish your B-air landing hit oos normally as long as you are outside of his Jab/Grab range. It takes him 11 frames to F-tilt oos. 13 to U-tilt. B-air landing hit is only -10 on block. Against any Snake silly enough to not know this, you can basically just wait for them to F-tilt your shield, and then get a free B-air punish.

Honestly though, it really depends on the player/matchup. Against the tether grabbers if they don't have another OOS option, Jabbing is definitely really powerful to lock them down. Running away imo is good against King DDD. On crossover generally you have more options. One option I want to try when I'm bored is perhaps crouching. Especially against someone like Donkey Kong.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Are you from NZ JMoney?

i knew there were a few melee players from New Zealand
but since ive been in the scene (early 2009) there has been no New Zealand and Australian interaction
At least, not for Brawl.

I wish the scene was a lot bigger, with more characters to play against and more players to experience.
The scene here is so isolated compared to America :c
American Smashers so lucky
Hey sorry for the late reply and thanks for answering my question. :)

And dang, lol but I guess that's expected. After Melee, our scene was from Brawl's release in 2008 to early 2009 (at which point everyone was playing B+). Right now, our "scene" is a community divided into tiny small groups who just have smashfests and friendlies. Some of our other players don't get any competition at all. Sad isn't it? :'(

Sucks you don't get as much competition as you'd like to, but hey at least you have a scene! :laugh:

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah im thankful that we have a scene at all.
Although Brawl is deteriorating somewhat, it has no hype

Melee just keeps growing
I'd have liked to test my mettle against some USA players
I think I would do pretty well. At least I got to play m2k once. And Hall and Oats.

It'd be nice to meet you JMoney
You should fly over for a major
"BaM2K11" in Melbourne later this year is looking good ;)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
What do ya'll do after you turtle someone's shield? I use to just run away, but I just started jabbing their shield or going straight for a grab.

What do you do after you turtled someone's shield?
El up B

Jab is good too,depends on the character tho lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Man I was playing some wifi vs a fox and he got mad at me using upB a lot. Said it'd get punished hard offline.

Who the **** complains about GaW's upB on wifi out of all things?

Top Bottom