• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
i think there really is no way a g&w can play stylish or flashy
only a little bit but common
we have nothing cool flashy like falco's side b cancel or something like that
only the nine is flashy >D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
We have Bacon combos. They are the coolest thing ever. Don't you underestimate the bacon or the bacon will get you...
Also I find uairing or UpBing the opponent when he does something to get him into helpless stage for extreme amusement.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
i think there really is no way a g&w can play stylish or flashy
only a little bit but common
we have nothing cool flashy like falco's side b cancel or something like that
only the nine is flashy >D
Wrong. We are like the gimmickiest character in the game. You really just have to be creative. Between bacon, windboxes, two spikes (one ultra gimmicky), epic glidetoss, soft hit fair for forced get ups, 8 different hammers to react in different ways to, and awesome team gimmicks, there's a LOT of stylish game and watch play to utilize. Honestly I've been practicing an awesome reverse fair thing, and autocanceled uair combos tonight and i honestly see a lot of potential... as far as flashiness goes. As for actually effectiveness? he'll still probably be the same

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGxBYwH4XE&feature=relmfu

you just have to be really creative to make this character look cool, I get a lot of compliments in my scene, and have pulled off my Fair (hurr hurr) share of pretty nasty kills

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Panspike is inferior to fair in every imaginable way except for the cool flaming effect.
Well of course F air is a better move in every way, but I DO like to play flashy. And if someone has a poor vertical recovery than a panspike just might situationally be better every now and then. Who knows!

Wrong. We are like the gimmickiest character in the game. You really just have to be creative. Between bacon, windboxes, two spikes (one ultra gimmicky), epic glidetoss, soft hit fair for forced get ups, 8 different hammers to react in different ways to, and awesome team gimmicks, there's a LOT of stylish game and watch play to utilize. Honestly I've been practicing an awesome reverse fair thing, and autocanceled uair combos tonight and i honestly see a lot of potential... as far as flashiness goes. As for actually effectiveness? he'll still probably be the same

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGxBYwH4XE&feature=relmfu

you just have to be really creative to make this character look cool, I get a lot of compliments in my scene, and have pulled off my Fair (hurr hurr) share of pretty nasty kills

I agree with all of what you just said and that link is... :crazy:

I don't even understand how that is real.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Well of course F air is a better move in every way, but I DO like to play flashy. And if someone has a poor vertical recovery than a panspike just might situationally be better every now and then. Who knows!

I agree with all of what you just said and that link is... :crazy:

I don't even understand how that is real.
it's a tas.

he used an emulator and save states.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I'm on the ledge. My opponent is on the stage.

What are my best options in this scenario against Falco, Snake, Marth and Meta knight?

Especially Falco

KaptainKrunch

Smash Cadet
For Falco, I like to d-tilt against side-b happy players since it beats it out clean. Also a late f-air works well against his up-b because it'll knock him out of it without sending him flying, this makes gimping easier.

As for Snake, Up-air that cypher and try to set up a u-smash trap when they try to land or rack up damage with n-air at earlier percents. If the Snake is at kill percents, and your opponent recovers low, you're better of d-tilting the cypher or at least try to sweetspot a f-air.

I almost forgot, for Marth, force a low recovery so he wastes is up-b and punish his RCO lag when he tries to get back to the stage.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'm on the ledge. My opponent is on the stage.

What are my best options in this scenario against Falco, Snake, Marth and Meta knight?

Especially Falco
Plank Plank Plank Plank, wait for a good opening then upb to a platform :smash:. Don't be predictable or they'll try to read your jump from the ledge:T. Falco/Snake can't really pressure G&W on the edge though lol. I'd say lucario/olimar/wario are scarier in that kind of situation.

Also if they're just throwing out unsafe moves waiting for you to come up then just fair from the ledge lol. Or you can space a fair enough that you won't get hit and you'll snap back on to the ledge but it's kind of unsafe.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Lucario, Olimar and Wario are probably scarier, but in Norway we only have characters called Snake, MK, Marth and Falco. Seriously.
I'm the little exception, and even I have a pocket Falco and Marth.

Thanks for the tips. Tourney this weekend. It's not big, but our hype level towards it is close to Apex's.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it wasn't really advice, just generic stuff lol:(

it's all mixups really. Against marth and Mk at early %'s, upb and dair to the platform is safe, sometimes lol. If they can't punish it, it'll hit them and you can follow up. If it doesn't, then you shield and wait for them to do something, then you punish lol. At high %'s, it's pretty unsafe because they're going to try and bait it to kill you with utilt. So you pretend to dair towards them but slowly move towards the middle of the stage (and dtilt if they attempt to punish the landing). Or you can always simply move to a safe platform and do nothing lol. G&W has alot of safe options from the ledge and overall shouldn't be getting punished too hard :p. Be patient.

also goodluck.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Against Falco I would try to bait something out of him and upB above the stage. It's not gonna be easy to just come back from the ledge, he is just gonna jab you back or something similar. His jab is ********.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well it depends a lot on what the Falco does. The one I play with usually punished me if I try to DI behind him and he will follow me if I DI away too.

EDIT: What characters can you dair after dthrow if they don't tech? And at what %?

Didact

Smash Rookie
I'm having some serious trouble fighting Toon Link with my G&W. I think my problem is his boomerang and arrows usually hit me since they get fired at me while he is in a jump and they hit me while I'm attempting to attack, stop me and then he jumps in and beats me to death with his sword. Any suggestions?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Focus less on your usually methods for getting in there and doing dmg, and more on avoiding his projectiles and killing him with non-smash attacks (like keeping fair/dair from getting stale).

Didact

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'll try to. I know that with a well placed down tilt (my manhole cover if im right......) I can block his projectiles and I should be able to duck under most of them. Shield too

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I have two different questions here.
First off, I played a good Samus main, (Heyseuss) and I can only say good because Smileyface did earlier, I have only been to four tournaments, and three were Playntrade (small store with no base rulesets). Anyways, what do I to approach Samus? I tried crouching below the zair and then running in, and that failed miserably, I tried going up above Samus and hitting her from above, but that didn't work either, an advice on that?

The second, on the ice Climbers boards, I was reading their Match-Up index (not the newest, tI think the one before it) and it lists GaW as on of their hardest match-ups, has this just changed recently, or are we missing something?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Samus is kinda funky. Watch the patterns of the player. Charge shot is very readable even when they're trying to mix it up it's just the nature of the move. Zair is very readable too because since Samus is floaty Samus mains have no choice but to try to zair us at a certain consistent height, it's really easy to see coming so Powershield it. All she really has is Zair once you start getting past that you shouldn't have too much trouble (With the matchup itself, the player is a whole 'nother story)

Edit: Charge Shot is generally used as a punish so don't try to like short hop fair a fully charged samus or anything.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
can we really count vinnie? he almost never uses g&w except for teams...
anyway someone from europe is interested in this? :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318799

the tournament is in germany near duesseldorf
i heard from the organisator that some people from finland are interested?
lazor where you @?
Yes, I am most likely attending that with some other Finns, don't worry, I'll probably be there. Would be pretty cool to meet the other European G&Ws.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I've been switching mains a lot, but what should I be trying to learn as G&W? Like, when I'm starting to use him at first.

Top Bottom