• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Do you consider going for low risk/low reward options on that situation or the high risk/high reward stuff?
Is it better to do a lot of damage or just send them back off the stage to reset the situation?
Yeah I know it's hard to answer, but try.

Another thing, I usually lose when I am close to my opponent on the ground. They usually have superior jabs or grabs or just better groundgame. Should I usually just upB to safety and not challenge them unless I am absolutely sure I win?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
1st part: Does GaW really have high risk high reward options other than sideB? I would never do something risky at high %, but at lowere %'s, sure I'll try to go for the hard read pretty often. However, vs someone like snake, there are a lot of low risk very high reward options because getting him offstage is very high reward. So for a one line answer, I'd say to usually go for the low risk options, because they are not that much less rewarding than the higher risk options.

2nd part: Just upB unless you're certain you can beat them.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks Alphicans. Those are the next things I am going to work on as that was where I struggled the most.
I got 2nd place in this weekends tournament which was pretty big and all of Finlands best players were there except for one so I don't know how I managed to do so well.
Anyways, gonna get videos, you should watch them.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I posted this in the Marth boards but I figured I'd post it here too.

How much predicting is used in a professional game?
Are players constantly predicting where the opponent will be and what move they are using, or only occasionally such as rolls?
And what's the difference between their playstyle and an average player's?

Please answer to the best of your ability, I really am striving to become a better player.

Patches

Smash Master
Imo. Predicting plays an important factor in any match. Especialy between high level players. Take a look at some of the matches from Apex.

For example. With GaW, say I'm playing someone and I have them in a grab, and they're at kill precent. I dthrow. What are my options, and what are theirs? For simplicity sake, lets say I'm playing against MK.

They dont tech: My best option is to dsmash. Possible kill.

They tech into a roll: Imo, my best option is to predict whcih way they're going to go, before they do it and hit them up with an usmash. Definite kill if I can make the right prediction.

They tech and stand up: Best option, dtilt. Once again though, you have to predict it.

Get up attack: Shield and punish. But once again, you have to make the prediction.

Prediciting in brawl is pretty well mandatory, you have to always be thinkign about what your opponent might do next. Make one wrong prediction, and you may get messed up.

As for the difference in play styles, take a look at a high level player, and then just compare it to a lower level player. You'll see the difference.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Definitely. Reading is by far the most important tool you have in brawl... it's sorta all you have

Especially as a game & watch user, you need to predict, it's almost as important as having a control stick (exaggeration)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I posted this in the Marth boards but I figured I'd post it here too.
Predicting is everything. Like if you can't predict things, how are you going to mash out of grabs fast enough? How are you going to DI properly? How are you going to continue move strings? You should always be actively analyzing your opponents patterns and learning to predict when they're going to hit/grab you or when they're going to shield/roll/dodge.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Predicting is everything. Like if you can't predict things, how are you going to mash out of grabs fast enough? How are you going to DI properly? How are you going to continue move strings? You should always be actively analyzing your opponents patterns and learning to predict when they're going to hit/grab you or when they're going to shield/roll/dodge.
I can easily predict when I'm getting grabbed and I can DI well (I survived a fully charged DK punch at 60%, 90% after he hit me with it but your last sentence was helpful. Thank you for the great answers everyone. I guess I worded my question so that it seems like I'm a completely beginner, but the answers were great.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Don't worry, it will all come to you when you play more. Do not try to improve faster than possible for you, this caused a huge delay for me. I took a little easier for a while and improved on one thing at a time and there I was on the Grand Finals!
At lower levels of play spacing>reading. If you can space so well you cannot be countered by simple OoS moves like smashes or grabs, it will already take you far, trust me on this. That was a tip given to me by the best player in Finland when I asked him how to get better.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
do you have any advices for getting back on the stage when i'm hanging at the edge?
sometimes it seems i'll always get punished no matter what i do
and at high % the get up attack sucks the roll sucks so there are not many opinions left...

and would you mind to criticize my vids that'll upload probably next week?

SugarPhil

Smash Cadet
do you have any advices for getting back on the stage when i'm hanging at the edge?
sometimes it seems i'll always get punished no matter what i do
and at high % the get up attack sucks the roll sucks so there are not many opinions left...

and would you mind to criticize my vids that'll upload probably next week?
Neutral Air and moving around that edge should hopefully make them back off
Yeah G & W get up attack sucks bad, try rolling and using up b straight away

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ledgedrop -> jump -> retreating fair

You will autosnap the ledge when it ends and it's really safe.
Another thing to do is to uair slightly below the stage, if they jump, they are blown into the air, allowing you to get back before they land.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Ledgedrop -> jump -> retreating fair

You will autosnap the ledge when it ends and it's really safe.
Another thing to do is to uair slightly below the stage, if they jump, they are blown into the air, allowing you to get back before they land.
A favorite of mine for certain characters

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks guys sometimes i use the uair but they NEVER jump >__>
especially i'm afraid when a marth stands there if your invisibility frames wear off they just give you a tippered f smash
so i really can't think long for what i should do
but the fair sound legit
or i just drop the edge and use up b to regrab it
do it for about 20 seconds and the opponent just goes away or soemthing like that :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All the stuff you can do from different # hammers?
Like can you reliable turnaround grab after a 3?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
#1 - n/a
#2 - If trip, fsmash works most of time
#3 - n/a
#4 - n/a
#5 - Upsmash, they air dodge every time good god
#6 - grab ledge
#7 - bait them to grab apply, fsmash (j/k you should probably eat apple)
#8 - attacking them in ice does less damage. use hammer or fair to follow up.
#9 - taunt

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Damn you Zac! Why did you quit! You are too amazing, I need your videos :D
Any tips on GW+Falco team btw? We have been doing quite well, but I am not very educated when it comes to doubles...

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Falco dthrow > G&W upsmash.

Then they learn

Falco dthrow > G&W jump footstool them > Falco smash!

Then they scared

Falco dthriw > G&W nine

everytime

-LzR-

Smash Hero
We actually do pretty much or that dthrow to usmash thing, gets us so many kills since it's also pretty easy to set up.
What we also do is if the other opponent is out of reach, I grab the other one and dthrow. Falco then starts charging Fsmash. If the opponent rolls at Falco after Dthrow, he kinda dies, so it's much easier for me to tech chase. This obviously is impossible to do in 2v2 situation, but it's cool anyways.
Is the footstool thing easy to time? Can Falco setup a laserlock from it?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
What we also do is if the other opponent is out of reach, I grab the other one and dthrow. Falco then starts charging Fsmash. If the opponent rolls at Falco after Dthrow, he kinda dies, so it's much easier for me to tech chase.
Or, what I teach all my teammates, is NEVER charge smashes. Just grab, and I will kill (dont throw). My kill moves are always stronger than theirs.

Is the footstool thing easy to time? Can Falco setup a laserlock from it?
Takes practicing. Just spam jump. You will use up all your mid air jumps and footstool as soon as possible.

Yes you can lazorlock from this.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Or, what I teach all my teammates, is NEVER charge smashes. Just grab, and I will kill (dont throw). My kill moves are always stronger than theirs.
Damn this is so true! :o Falcos moves aren't strong compared to ours...
I'll make sure to teach this to him the next time we meet.

Takes practicing. Just spam jump. You will use up all your mid air jumps and footstool as soon as possible.

Yes you can lazorlock from this.
That sounds like a really really fun thing to do in 2v1.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I was looking through the melee G & W forums and I saw people mentioning pan spikes and saw a couple videos.

I haven't heard anything about brawl panspikes though. Is this something that we can do?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yes. It works. I've done it a few times. It's good on characters that have really bad recoveries (olimar).

The issue with it is that pan takes forever to start up.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Okay, cool. I might start trying it. And what's the deal with chef's priority? I remember reading somewhere that it had transcendent priority but I feel like I've been "burned" a few times banking on that. Is there only a certain amount of time that it has that priority?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Panspike is inferior to fair in every imaginable way except for the cool flaming effect.

Top Bottom