• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Alexander89s

Smash Rookie
Been reading a lot of strategy threads, at the beginning I had to search up everything (Like what is a f-air, b-air, n-air, footstool, and so on.

But I need an explanation of what a "tech" is.
And what is a "tech roll", "tech grab" and "tech chase"?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Been reading a lot of strategy threads, at the beginning I had to search up everything (Like what is a f-air, b-air, n-air, footstool, and so on.

But I need an explanation of what a "tech" is.
And what is a "tech roll", "tech grab" and "tech chase"?
Tech is actually a general video game term. Also known as Ukemi it's basically when you are getting knocked down and you recover yourself as you land.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

In smash bros, there's a bit more though, because it leads to a number of options

You can hit the ground helplessly or you can tech as you hit the ground by pressing the shield button. You can tech in 3 directions. Left, right, or in place. These are tech rolls. A tech chase is when you predict which way the person will tech and punish them for it. Which is a massive part of GW's game because he has a dthrow which leads to tech chases which he also gets serious payoffs for guessing/predicting correctly.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
How do you fight an airborne :wolf:? I'm probably never going to do this MU because I'm a D3 main but I was playing a respectable Wolf in friendlies this weekend and while every match was last hit or close to, I couldn't quite win it. I felt like the most challenging part was direct aerial combat. Its kind of invigorating yet challenging playing against a character who's aerial speed rivals yours. Any general tips would be appreciated. I wanna MM this guy at some point to see if I learned anything.

Patches

Smash Master
You're invading our threads, Tech. Do I sense something? (;

And IMO, stay under neath him. Use hair to keep him up, and juggle him with bairs and nairs. If hes too far for those, a surprise upb is always helpful.

:phone:

ZTD | TECHnology

This makes sense. I actually seemed to get the most setups with Nair pressure underneath him. Challenging him when he was in a neutral position to Fair or Bair had mixed results. Fair's hitbox is secretly really ******** and huge. And Bair...is Bair. No explanation needed.

And oh yeah I officially decided to run with :gw: as my secondary. He's just way too much fun. Always wanted to use him seriously but was always afraid to. So yeah I'll be chilling here brah.

:denzel:

Patches

Smash Master
LOL. **** that shiz. :gw: dittos are the worst. LOL

I'll definitely help you out though. As long as you dont steal my colour. red4lyfe

edit: unless... $5 MM, :gw: vs :gw: loser cant ever use red. LOL

ZTD | TECHnology

LMAO this man here trying to Alpha Male on me for a color.

Besides I'm Cyan, all day errday.

:yeahboi:

And lmao you'll probably wreck me in that MM.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
^this i have one in my crew a vid will be up soon
i should play him more often he destroys me but he also defeated dueler so i have legit john :D

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Wolf is pretty hard...I don't think ive ever beaten any... but ive only played like...two.

Dueler X

Smash Cadet
^this i have one in my crew a vid will be up soon
i should play him more often he destroys me but he also defeated dueler so i have legit john :D
Once again, I may not be an exemple to follow gameplay-wise

While you're here, I asked you some time ago about Symphonic Fantasies,
and if you could maybe organize something the Saturday after it, any news so far ?

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
Once again, I may not be an exemple to follow gameplay-wise

While you're here, I asked you some time ago about Symphonic Fantasies,
and if you could maybe organize something the Saturday after it, any news so far ?
sry so @ the 05.07 and 06.07 i have to go to school and the saturday after it unfortunately i have a meeting :((
but i think i will go to the philharmonie but like i said the saturday... i won't have time

but you beat blub and glutonny and especially last one is a very high top player (although the grab release to nine was dman funny and dumb of gluto :D)

Dueler X

Smash Cadet
Ok, we'll just take a tour around Köln then.
What I mean is that I could very well beat top players but I could also very well lose to someone a lot less stronger than him.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
Would love to come there too... but at this date there's the Animagic and I promised to some friends to go there so i hope you will get at least top 15 or top 10 with G&W that would be awesome :)

ZTD | TECHnology

So what do people use F-Tilt for? I'm having difficulty finding practical applications for the move. The ending lag makes me sad. 19 frames of cooldown for a hitbox that stays out for 6 frames and comes out on 10.....seems like Down-Tilt and F-Smash and are just better in every way.

Also what do you guys use for controls out of curiosity? I set my R to jump and I love it. I can True Pivot Up Smash pretty easily ( I like the giant hitbox GW has behind him when he rears his head back so I've been playing with using it more) and I also use it to Jump Cancel my Jabs so I can Jab > Grab like a pro. Works WONDERS.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Legendary setup. I JUST changed my r from attack to jump saturday mid tourney. Those are some pretty awesome ideas I gotta try. But yeah ftilt is our worst move sometimes it can be a suprise knockback move and embarassing to get hit with but it's outclassed generally

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah I had my R on attack as well up until a few weeks ago also. Jump is just so much more useful because :gw: can make very good use of Jump Cancel mechanics.

Like Jump Canceled Jab for example is SO much easier to perform than crouch canceling. I was always parnoid about mistiming and then getting smacked out of crouch for it or just when I'm hitting down...not pretty. But like seriously its even physically more comfortable to do when R is jump. Try it out for those who rely on crouching.

And the True Pivot Up Smash is somthing I've been experimenting with for a while. Damittom will tell you lol. I just like it because with both the hitbox in front of him and behind have good range, the one behind him comes out faster since he leans back first. It has the same power either way, so why not use the faster version if you're attemping to hit with the more horizontal part of the helmet. I'm finding good uses for it. Those couple of frames difference could potentially be the difference between a successful tech chase finisher and a whiffed move. I also suggest everyone to try it out. I've been working really hard to bring what I know to this character.

I'm also exploring the Akuma Jump.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
True pivot upsmash is also awesome as a ledge guard tool (character dependent obviously) but it is a good mixup and can even net kills.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Well ZSS doesn't need it due to her downb, but yeah her too.

It'd be a great find, when I have time I'll do some testimg as well.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I've done it before accidentally I've never been able to replicate it, so Idk the conditions, but I'm wacky and use tap jump I think I have it on a video tho ill look for it when I'm home from work

Top Bottom