• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Don't go to Rainbow Cruise, that's for sure. He can kill you too early on the boat part and aside from not really being able to camp his gameplan isn't affected that much.

Ban FD in this matchup. It's a bad stage for G&W in general but this matchup is especially terrible since Snake can camp all day and there's no real way to avoid him.

As far as what to CP, I honestly can't tell you because I always go Dedede against Snakes lol. Lylat seems like a good choice though, as does Battlefield.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
I'd say ban FD or even SV. Which ever you don't like.

CP to Japes, Rainbow Cruise, or Green Greens (if it's legal).

2Sko

Smash Cadet
Basic Q: what are moves NOT to use for G&W?
What are his kill moves?
Any moves I should spam?

2Sko

Smash Cadet
I also use side smash way too much, any way i can break that habit, like a good move too substitute for it, cuz i don't really like it myself

Gates

Banned via Warnings
For damage, substitute fsmash with:

Dtilt
SHBair
SHNair
SHFair

For killing, substitute fsmash with:

Usmash
Dsmash
Ftilt
SHFair

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't really avoid using any move. A lot of moves are situational, like Utilt, Ftilt, Chef, Judgement, and the bucket. I don't really see these a lot (except for bucket-braking, but that's kinda different, haha), but they have their places.

Good KO moves for G&W are his smashes (all of them). His Fair is his best aerial KO move, but depending on the move decay and your opponent's height above/ below stage Dair and the second hit of Uair can KO at higher percents (maybe around 120% and up). The % really depends A LOT on height with Uair. I find dair to be useful as a KO move when I've built up a lot of damage and can't seem to get the KO. Ftilt can also KO, but you usually have better options. It can be a nice surprise, though.

I wouldn't say there's anything you should ever really spam, but some attacks like Uair (for the windbox), UpB, Nair, and Bair are too good not to use. If you watch a video, you'd probably see the G&W using most of these a lot.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
never use Ftilt if you ask me you have better options like Dtilt
the only kill moves are smashes, fair and dair. You can take someone in a position for a Smash with Bair or Nair most time Nnair cancel to dsmash.

opponent's who know this are most of the time hard to hit with this move's. most of the time i keep dair fresh when i have a opponent that's know how to don't get hit by smashes or fair. fresh dair will kill's on 150% dammage most of the time. (on the ground)

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I try not to use Ftilt, but a high percents (maybe 140ish up?), it can KO against someone who's wary of your smashes and Fair. It comes out faster than any of your smashes, so it's not unusable. I think that most of the time, though, a smash or dtilt is a better choice.

Also, Uair is a fairly situation move to KO with, but it can really surprise your opponent. By now juggling with the wind is expected, but the second hit has a decent amount of knockback. Maybe around 120 (I don't know an exact %), if you're around a full jump above the stage and connect the second hit, then it can KO. It's certainly not a first choice, but it seems like a lot of people don't know that it can even KO.

The quality isn't that good in this video, but you can see a KO using Uair's actual hitbox around 2:55.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAaeSXZjHc

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone explain IASA frames?
and which of GaW's move have them?
Interuptable As Soon AS. Basically you can preform another action (some moves still won't let you do specific actions) on the IASA frame, even if the animation for the attack isn't over. The animation for the old attack simply stops mid-sequence and the animation for the new attack starts.

gaw smashes have IASA frames try Usmash to Fsmash and see how fast the Fsmash comes out.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Interuptable As Soon AS. Basically you can preform another action (some moves still won't let you do specific actions) on the IASA frame, even if the animation for the attack isn't over. The animation for the old attack simply stops mid-sequence and the animation for the new attack starts.

gaw smashes have IASA frames try Usmash to Fsmash and see how fast the Fsmash comes out.
And dash attack, at least you told me that :laugh:

Motel Vacaville of the West

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
How are you guys approaching the Wario match-up?

I've been encountering either Wario's who know how how to fight G&W, and Wario's who don't. The big thing is Wario's Bike as a weapon. It seems to work really well against a character who primarily stays in the air. Even after it breaks, the Wario I fought would jump above me with a tire, throw it down vertically to my head, FF, the F-Smash.

It seems I might have to change my playstyle from using N-Air and Up-B as primary attacks to something new.

Xaqwais

Smash Rookie
NNID
Waasiq
Okay, the tourney's I go to, Pirate Ship isn't banned as a counter pick. I have no clue how to abuse the rock however. Can someone explain to me the process. How do they stay in the water? They seem to be doing a swimming motion?

Thanks!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
How are you guys approaching the Wario match-up?

I've been encountering either Wario's who know how how to fight G&W, and Wario's who don't. The big thing is Wario's Bike as a weapon. It seems to work really well against a character who primarily stays in the air. Even after it breaks, the Wario I fought would jump above me with a tire, throw it down vertically to my head, FF, the F-Smash.

It seems I might have to change my playstyle from using N-Air and Up-B as primary attacks to something new.
in response to the previous f-tilt discussion and this, i've actually found that f-tilt works well on wario, that it KO's earlier then d-tilt and is about as fast

granted, i've only played one wario, so i can't know for sure. but that wario def knows how to play against a G&W

i was told by the wario not to bair as much.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I still can't see how ftilt can be useful. The move has so much lag after the attack that I might as well use fsmash which has a longer hitbox.

Also I found nair works wonders against wario.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Was it known that when you do a jump while hanging on the right edge of Yoshi's Island Brawl, you fall down quickly, but if you hold towards the stage, it's like getting on stage normally, but way faster?
If so, ignore me -.-

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I still can't see how ftilt can be useful. The move has so much lag after the attack that I might as well use fsmash which has a longer hitbox.

Also I found nair works wonders against wario.
You're probly more experienced against Warios then I am, so I'll have to take your word for it.
The only reason I ever used f-tilt was when wario got to insanely high damages (200+) in which case, a quick, surprising move was all that I was looking for, and f-tilt usually worked 2/3 stocks.

Nair always works. G&W's best move, IMHO.

Was it known that when you do a jump while hanging on the right edge of Yoshi's Island Brawl, you fall down quickly, but if you hold towards the stage, it's like getting on stage normally, but way faster?
If so, ignore me -.-
lol, its known, but not well known enough if you ask me. I constantly forget about that,then surprise myself and my opponent when i'm suddenly grabbing them, when I was on the ledge a few frames before.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I camp with it hard, you can do 2 N-airs when doing normal ledgejump (only works below 100% BTW), FF N-air, jump, N-air, grab ledge.
I'm so gay at brawl.

Publix

Smash Apprentice

I barely rarely ever use F-tilt. But when someone is at a high percent and they make a mistake, use a laggy move, or land in front of you sometimes F-tilt can kill them, and Fsmash will not come out fast enough. And we can use it out of shield if they land behind us, but i haven't done that.the move is always fresh and it does more damage than Dtilt. It is very situational, but it can come in handy once in a while.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wario is my best and favorite match-up. I don't think I've played one that can get me to last stock save PhantomX recently haha.

I don't know how to write down all of these things though :/. Ugh.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
i know that we've moved on from this, but yesterday in a teams battle, a metaknight was around 140 and shuttle looped going away from me. i chased him and Spartan chaired him when he landed. I didn't have time to bust a F-smash. He died i won. Yeah Spartan chair use it or lose it.

I am about positive that it was the only time that i used it the chair for the whole smashfest.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
If the Falco is chaingrabbing properly, then you're stuck in it until 35% (or something close to it). However, sometimes [not as good] Falco players don't regrab soon enough, and you can indeed UpB to safety way earlier. I think it's a good idea always to try to escape at the lower percents, just in case. You never know when the Falco might mess up, and it'd be a shame just to sit there and give him free damage.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Hey, can someone help me with the Diddy matchup and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Much appreciated. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdMbxat9zg&feature=channel_page 1st match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXJ8KV-OBc&feature=channel_page 3rd

Thanks.
Throughout the first game, you abused d air a lot. At 2:40 u dair'd into his shield and got shield grabbed. In the 3rd game round 0:24 same thing happened. you got punished for ur d air. Also you really didn't become offensive when Diddy had a single banana. Basically more offense, less d air. ( didn't really see a lot of b air either)

You coulda used glide toss with the bananas and surprised the diddy.

Neb

Smash Lord
Anybody else abuse G&W's Crouch?
People should, I'm trying to fit into my game myself. Crouching can force your opponent to attack down at G&W, leaving them open. So a slight shift in your stance/positioning can limit a foes options (aerial specifically) because it narrows the target (your hurtbox). Situational as it may be, its useful, like a boxers guard, and how they can bob-and-weave to escape punches. As a G&W player you should try using all your tools.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
WHen specidically do you abuse it?? like which character can you abuse it to. i know that i use it sometimes against projectiles, them ding dang space creatures i tell you.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
If Yoshi tries to do a Running Grab you can crouch under it and he'll miss the grab and leave himself open with a lot of lag frames.

Also I believe you can crouch under DDDs utilt.

Neb

Smash Lord
You can also crouch under Marth's SH fair and punish the whiff, disrupting his doubled aerials. This can work against other characters as well. It doesn't have to be move specific per se, you can usual spot where a crouch will work while observing your opponents habits, just imagine G&W squeezed under that space, then make the situation.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Figured here would be as good a place as any to ask.

Anyone who uses texture hacks have a specific G&W one they like to use? I just had one custom made to resemble my avatar, its awesome

Denfo

Smash Rookie
What do you guys follow up your d-tilt wall-lock with? I've done f-smash and tippered d-smash. Was curious as to whether or not you could follow it with u-smash safely? Because...that'd probably get rainbow cruise banned.

Top Bottom