• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How do you link to a single post?
Click on the number in the upper-right of whatever post you want to link to and copy and paste the URL from the page it took you to.

Also, how customizable are the controls in Brawl? I know you can B-stick, but can you do much of anything outside of that, like making up on the control not jump?
Turning off tap-jump is really only one of the things you can alter on your control scheme. You can mess with a lot of buttons - assigning THIS to grab, assigning THAT to shield. I haven't experimented that much, but it seems like there are many, MANY options.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Also, how customizable are the controls in Brawl? I know you can B-stick, but can you do much of anything outside of that, like making up on the control not jump?
Every button, trigger, joy-stick can be changed. But they cannot become everything.
The c-stick cannot control movement, and the joystick cannot become the c-stick, for example.
-t2

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
What does AT mean? And I know it doesn't just mean Assist Trophy.

Its too short a term for the search to find, and Smash Wikia doesn't have a page for it.

Seriously, where are all these new smash terms coming from?!

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Question:

For some reason, when I go to edit my post or quote someone, the black area where I'm supposed to type turns white and the text disappears; I can't edit or quote something if the text is gone. What's happening?

WolfCypher, AT stands for Advanced Technique.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Are the "about to jump" frames in Brawl any different than in Melee? It's just that I suck at shorthopping on anyone other harder than Falco in Melee, and I'm wondering if I'll have trouble with that in Brawl.
Brawl's slower in general, and I've found it much easier to shorthop.

But why do people use fairs/airdodge when they get knocked off the screeen to try to survive? I don't think anybody's fair has any DI, and I thought that airdodging didn't control projectory anymore.
I'd say it's to get out of ... I forget the term. Tumble? The part where your character's falling and rolling rolling rolling in the air. If I recall correctly, characters fall faster while tumbling, and some other stuff.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
what does 10char and Gimp mean?
10char is what people say to allow really short posts. As you need at least 10 characters in a post for it to be allowed.

Gimp is to go off the stage and hinder your opponents recovery.

All right. I have a question. A year or two back people were working on a Melee guide to selecting a main. I was considering the same for Brawl. Does anyone have it bookmarked or know where it is off-hand? I've searched a few times using any words I could think of but I haven't found it and it would be good for research.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about Edgecancelling but Autocancelling is in a great Youtube video here.

I think the way it works is that the Sora devs never thought to make it so that a move performed immidiately out of the jump has no landing lag. Something they didn't test for. It isn't nearly as easy to explain as SHFFLing or Wavedashing.
I didn't fully understand the video, but after reading what you said do you mean that by using an aerial attack right when you jump you get no landing lag?

UltraPuff

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't find this anywhere, but does anyone know how to revive a team mate in a team battle after they've lost all of their stock?

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
In tournaments, they have it set up so that when you ranodm it goes to a nuetral stage. How do i set it up so that when i random, it picks out of stages i chose.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
In tournaments, they have it set up so that when you ranodm it goes to a nuetral stage. How do i set it up so that when i random, it picks out of stages i chose.
Once you have all stages unlocked you get an option to take off certain stages. Go to the spot where you select rules and choose More Rules. There should be a stage select.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
I didn't fully understand the video, but after reading what you said do you mean that by using an aerial attack right when you jump you get no landing lag?
I still want this question answered. I did not understand the video that was posted earlier. do you autocancel by attacking directly out of a jump or what?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Yep.

For Ganondorf's Stomp, a good technique is to keep on tap up to jump, and flick the control stick up and the C stick down at the same time.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I know this (my question) sounds stupid, but all over the complaint threads, everyone says that the worst thing about brawl is tripping, and just to confirm, is that where you roll and sometimes you fall, or is it something else? Also, how many posts do you have to post for your rank to go up from say, smash child to apprentice, or journey man to lord or something like that, and I know how you become a smash debater, but how do you become a mod? Thanx in advance.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Tripping is your character losing balance as they move. They flail through the air about a foot off the ground only to land sitting down.

The number varies the higher the rank.

New mods are selected when the current mods decide they need more... mods... for an area of the forums. Make good posts, help people out, and you may become one some day.

Emuburger

Smash Rookie
could you go a little more into detail on why the game acts like this? it will help me get this down.
Auto cancelling involves using an attack that only lasts for a short time, so the attack ends before you land, meaning there's almost no landing lag (there will always 4 or so frames of landing lag even if you do nothing). This was around in Melee, but on less characters (the shorthop was generally lower back then, so you were airborn for fewer frames) and it really didn't matter since you could L-cancel attacks anyways.

So the general math behind this is (and I'm just making up numbers):
Ganon's short hop: airborn for 60 frames
Ganon's Dair: takes 50 frames from start to finish
So you jump, and within the first 10 frames of airborn-ness you start his Dair, and it should end before you hit the ground, therefore landing with practically no lag, rather than starting the attack later and landing with your legs slightly bent and expirencing 30 or something frames before being able to move.

Alright, I've got my own question. I've heard that DIing is more effective if it's perpendicular to your original trajectory. That may be true, but will it save your life more effectively than holding the opposite direction? Basically, if I'm going to get hit straight up, should I hold down, or the direction my opponent is facing (left/right)?

And one more question: do grabs not give you your air jump back anymore? In Melee you got your jump(s) back just like grabbing a ledge or touching the ground, but in this video Marth dies because he didn't double jump after being thrown of the edge.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I think the way the system works is by two directions that are towards your opponent 'stacks' creating more DI than just one direction. But I'm not positive. I've just noticed it's more effective.

There's also the fact that for some attacks that are straight horiziontal (Falco's Dsmash) you get more traction to the ground if you hold down and towards him.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Tripping is your character losing balance as they move. They flail through the air about a foot off the ground only to land sitting down.

The number varies the higher the rank.

New mods are selected when the current mods decide they need more... mods... for an area of the forums. Make good posts, help people out, and you may become one some day.
About when Link lord said the number varies when you are going up in rank here on smashboards, does anyone have the exact numbers for going up through the ranks?

And thanx link lord

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that there's no official ranks, the mods just choose whomever they happen to like/trust the most.

It probably helps if you're a Smash BRoomer and/or Smash Director, but there's no army-style ranking system. It's all just whatever Kirby King and the gang decide on.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
About when Link lord said the number varies when you are going up in rank here on smashboards, does anyone have the exact numbers for going up through the ranks?

And thanx link lord
* Smash n00b: 0-24 posts
* Smash Child: 25-99 posts
* Smash Journeyman: 100-499 posts
* Smash Apprentice: 500-999 posts
* Smash Lord: 1000-2499 posts
* Smash Master: +2500 posts

Razed

Smash Ace
What are the chances, realistically, of MK and Snake being banned from tourny play? Or regulated or something?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
What are the chances, realistically, of MK and Snake being banned from tourny play? Or regulated or something?
Very, very low. Non-existant really. The only times I have heard of characters being banned in a fighting game are Akuma from Street Fighter and Gold Forms from Guilty Gear.

They really aren't broken. People need to find a way to deal with them.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
As a European, how bad is lag against Americans in 'With Friends?'

Proverbs

Smash Lord
What needs to actually take place for a Sacred Combo? Some people argue that you have to go far off the stage using the Falcon Punch, while I seem to think that as long as you can combo the knee to the Falcon Punch, then it counts.

Just curious.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Sorry about the double-post. Snake is pretty broken, but I can beat him with my DK. DK is a solid counter to Snake (no pun intended). Also, MK can be beaten by lots of characters.

Top Bottom