• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Yeah, Small, you've just kind of come in and ask a hojillion questions all of which can be answered by the first post or a quick glance through the rest of the thread. We're not going to support your lazy.

Can someone describe the spike hitbox for falco's d-air? It's obviously a spike, and i know only the first hit spikes, but it seems like the hitbox which spikes is smaller than the total hitbox.
I'm pretty sure it's just the area around his foot. The startup is what spikes and I think that the reason you think it's smaller is because it's so difficult to hit with "Startup" attacks.

I'd have to run a few tests but I'm pretty sure it doesn't get bigger post-startup.

Smash Ace
OK is there a guide anywhere that doesn't necessarily say what DI is (I know what it is) but exactly which direction gets the best results depending on which way u get hit?

(OK maybe not a guide but an answer)
Check here, part of the way down the first post. This thread has even more information, but is Melee-specific and hence some of it is obsolete.

The shortish answer is that there are two types of DI: automatic and smash DI. Automatic DI just changes the direction that you go in, but not your speed. To use this, just hold the control stick perpendicular to your current trajectory, in the direction that you want to go (if you aren't perpendicular, it will still work but will be less effective. If you hold the control stick parallel to your current direction, it will do nothing).

For smash DI, smash the control stick (or C-stick) in the direction you want to go during the hitlag from the attack, and you teleport a bit in that direction. If you use the C-stick, remember that you have to return in to neutral before inputting any new commands.

You cannot smash DI downward if you are on the ground when the attack hits. This (along with the loss of automatic DI, a melee technique that was removed) is why crouch canceling does not work in Brawl.

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
This is from a Wikipedia article on Donkey Kong.

"Completion of Smash Bros Brawl Classic Mode 10 times as DK on Intense difficulty unlocks a cutscene where he is given an honorary BSc in Bananas from Dr Mario, with the other Brawlers cheering in the background."

Is this true?! Do you get secret cutscenes for completing it on intense 10 times?

ewalb

Smash Rookie
is there any way to exit a started tourney mode [like the 32 player one] without letting it all finish? It's kindof annoying to have to restart/finish the entire thing...

hectichobo

Smash Ace
How many stages are you allowed to create... because they dont seem to even take up 1 block when i make them...?

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
Hey. I was wondering, if you're new to the boards, is a set time you have to wait until you're able to post an image in your sig? Or a number of posts? If either, I'd appreciate it if someone told me how long/ how many posts. This answer didn't come up in the general search, and was asked more than twice in your previous thread; unfortunately I don't believe anyone answered. Thanks in advance.
I didn't forget you! You have to turn images on in your preferences. They are off by default.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Other Debaters (or, master debaters, if you will) have to invite you. I think.

Smash Ace
I thought that it was easier than that. It certainly is if this thread is up to date.

Could we get a list of the various groups (admins, mods, BRoomers, debaters, writers, senators, etc), with information like what they do and how one joins? I think that doing so would answer a fair number of the questions so far.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Well they have to accept your application, then. They must have changed it since I was here years ago.

Also I don't think there'd be a point behind "List of criteria." I think they just accept people whom they feel are mature and responsible enough to join the said areas.

Seems like BRoomers and Smash Broomers are outstanding individuals in the area of Smash competitive play. Tournament Directors are those who run the tournaments, and Debaters are probably just the step below that.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
What does "FTW" mean?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
For The Win=FTW

What does SHDL mean?

Smash Ace
SHDL = Short Hop Double Laser. In Brawl it normally refers to Falco's laser, while in Melee it is a Fox technique.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Ike has three edgespikes:
1) Dtilt. If it hits, it spikes.
2) Dair. It's a spike. It may or may not have a sweetspot, I'm not sure, but when it hits, it hurts.
3) Up+B. If it connects properly, you'll send the opponent down while you safely catch the edge.

ToonLink... not too sure about that lil guy. One of his aerials has decent enough knockback to finish people off, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
For The Win=FTW

What does SHDL mean?
Short hop double laser

Refers to fox and falcos ability to short hop and shoot a laser twice and land with no lag. Considered an AT as when done properly the second laser animation is canceled by the ground but the laser is still fired

dark_tp_link

Smash Cadet
Thanks MarKO, I'm planning to go to a Tournament sometime in the next year, so I need to practise.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
If you use Toon Link's Dair directly above the opponent it spikes and he doesn't plummet either.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
How do I control what stages are selected when I pick 'random'?

That is, how do I set the random stage rules?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
It should be under the extended rules during the "choose you character" screen. If not its under "setting

Still looking for an EXTENDED list of ALL Smash Bros. Brawl Terms!!!!!!! Any help??

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty, I'm a Smash newbie, never really played these games before, a totally clean slate. So, with that out of the way, here's a really stupid newbish question: When playing against the CPU in a Vs. match, is there a way to choose who your CPU opponent is (instead of it always being random)? And even if it must be randomized, is there a way to get it so that the character always appears in their default colors? I know it has no effect on gameplay, but I'm OCD enough that it gets a bit absurd to me fighting against a purple Donkey Kong or a Ganondorf with white hair or Mario dressed as Wario or Wario dressed as Luigi, etc., etc.--you get the picture.

Thanks!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
In training mode does the computers always respond the same way while being attack when set on the setting "stop"?

This piece of information is critical for me to know so I may make a detailed thread about Sheik forward smash.

Once again, please don't answer if you don't know, If the info you give me is wrong this time around not only will you make me into a lier but will set Brawl meta game back.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Someone's making me a signature pretty soon (might be finished today) and I have no idea how to put the image in my signature. I've searched and people have said use [image]whateverurl[/image] I know that I have to do that, but does the image need to be on the internet and if so how can I establish a permanent url for my sig so it can be in my signature? Or can I just save it to my computer and use it later? Can someone help?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
PK-owl and MiraiGen, it is indeed under the more rules section where firemario149 said, but the option only appears after you've unlocked all stages. If the option isn't there, that's more that likely the reason.

Rew, once you've placed your character token (chosen your character), you can use your hand-cursor to pick up the CPU tokens and move them around. Simply hold your hand-cursor over their token and press A to pick it up or place it.

Smash Ace
Proverbs: the command is
. It might not work for people who just joined, but you've been around for a few months so it should be fine. The boards cut off sigs that are more than about 150 pixels tall, so you will probably have to remove your current text for it to display correctly.

DarkWarCloud:Actually, that's not as simple a question as I wish that it were. With the low hitstun in Brawl, you can often jump (or do another move) fairly early in a spike, much earlier than in Melee. This looks a lot like a meteor cancel, but it isn't one. It's just low hitstun.

I have heard a fair number of people say that there are true meteor cancels in Brawl, including AlphaZealot and other well-respected members. They're definitely knowledgeable enough to tell "fake" meteor cancels from the real thing. Unfortunately, I've yet to see a video of a meteor cancel. They're probably in, but they've been pretty elusive.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^ Yeah, but how can I put something that isn't online there? And how can I get my picture online with a steady URL?

Smash Ace
Oh, I see. There are a bunch of free image-hosting websites. I use Imageshack (http://imageshack.us/), but there are plenty of others. Just sign up, and they let you upload images.

yougo

Smash Rookie
sorry guys this question will probably will due to the fact that i cannot seems to find any discussion about that but ... why are we tripping in brawl what cause the tripping exactly i just cant believe that its random so what cause it?

thanks in advance

Top Bottom