• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
hi, guys i was wondering who's videos of falco i should be watching if i wanna get an idea of him?

The short solution is find the video featuring that. I cannot recall where it is. The file used to show it has been lost I believe due to a dead link. There is a bit of work that goes into making those .pac files which show the hitboxes when you play.

And finally, I think the best solution is find a copy of BrawlBox by Toomai which all you need is the motion pac, a texture pcs/pac, and the fitFalco.pac file to view it yourself at your hearts content. Only draw back is that you need to reference the frame data to know which hitbox goes with what move to highlight it in the program he made.

Only attempting to make the .pac file which would allow you to see the hitbubbles in game would take forever though. I tried it myself and sort of stopped after seeing how long it would take.

Getting the other stuff wouldn't take too long other than the information needed to know what to do. But, as a shortcut, I forgot I got toomai's permission to post the images of most of Falco's hitboxes last year.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317402

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The latest update in BrawlBox will show the hitboxes for you. You need a model file, a script file, and an animation file. Run the script, and it will show the animation and the hitbubbles.

I only used it once, though, when trying to slap a new Final Smash on him, so how it works is the extent of my memory.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238697
Open the Mediafire Archive link. (Just want to say this is a super valuable link imo. Worth bookmarking)
Data Partition (NTSC-U) -> Fighter -> falco
You want any of the FitFalco##.pac or FitFalco##.pcs
You only need one of them. Then, you want FitFalco.pac (this is different than the FitFalco##.pac). Along with FitFalcoMotionEtc.pac.

Not sure what is the proper BrawlBox program now since there are a few variations floating around.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238697
Open the Mediafire Archive link. (Just want to say this is a super valuable link imo. Worth bookmarking)
Data Partition (NTSC-U) -> Fighter -> falco
You want any of the FitFalco##.pac or FitFalco##.pcs
You only need one of them. Then, you want FitFalco.pac (this is different than the FitFalco##.pac). Along with FitFalcoMotionEtc.pac.

Not sure what is the proper BrawlBox program now since there are a few variations floating around.
It works with the latest version of Brawl Box.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It happens when you aim your side B at a very specific spot on the ledge.
The second phantasm is just him spamming the input.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
I've been watching quite a few high-level tournament Falco videos recently, and I realized that the DACUS/BDACUS isn't used as often as I expected. Is it not useful in the majority of matchups? While I'm not as advanced as these players, I tend to use it often, and it seems beneficial. I know things such as D-Throw to BDACUS works well. It's possible that I'm watching all the wrong videos. Although it's pretty dependent on MUs, how often should DACUS/BDACUS be used overall?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
DACUS/BDACUS are great things, but all good players are aware of them and with their speed they tend to be very telegraphed attacks. It's like anything else in brawl where the best options become the most feared options and thus actually lose some of their usability as people tend to counter them well.

DACUS itself is as hard to land as a dash attack is, which is pretty hard for Falco. BDACUS can be tricky, but doesn't tend to combo from anything so long as the opposing player DI's or airdodges with the right timing. Few people fall for dthrow -> BDACUS at kill percents because at those percents their DI has way more influence than usual. They can DI away from you during dthrow to avoid BDACUS or even DI straight up so they're too high to get hit by it.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
I can admit I've a bad habit of overusing the DACUS. So what I'm getting from this is that I should be using DACUS/BDACUS sparingly to change it up a bit; otherwise it's an easy read for the opponent. I'll have to see how that fares in the next couple matches I play, thanks.

Depends upon your opponent. Despite all this idealization people talk about, it ultimately depends on how well your opponent can adapt. If people are not able to stop you from spamming it all day long, then keep spamming it all day long. Only you should recognize when its starting to fail.

I have no idea if anyone else would agree, but I am starting to think there is the proper way to play that everyone should know about. Then there is the adapting and creativity in a match that everyone should know about which often deviates from ideal play. Whichever you use will just change. As an example with Brawl, spot dodge form Falco 10 times in a row shouldn't work ideally. But, sometimes it does and could net you a free KO.

In melee with Marth, he has a ton of shenanigans off of a fthrow with incorrect DI. For example, regrabs or tipper Fsmash become possible or even double fair in a short hop. Only, with proper DI, all these options become impossible. Every single follow up he has will whiff and will instead turn into tech chase options. And Marth has fairly bad punishes off of a tech chase if he wants to cover all options. So against a Fox or Falco, you could attempt to mix up CG into a dthrow for a free tipper, or do it the right way and Uthrow CG and Utilt/Uair until they are off stage for an edgeguard. The mix-up or creative way at times will get you success, but experienced and well seasoned players are able to avoid situations like those. In that case, you want to fall back on the right way.

I suppose you could always attempt to do stuff the right way, but I think that too has its issues.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
I've noticed that reads have had a much larger role in matches than I expected. Unfortunately, I've only been getting decent with reads since the past month or so. My goal the past couple years with Falco was to master all of the ATs and such, and while helpful, they don't mean all that much if you can't apply it at the right times. (Sorry, just thinking aloud here, hopefully might help someone in the forums though.)

I have no idea if anyone else would agree, but I am starting to think there is the proper way to play that everyone should know about. Then there is the adapting and creativity in a match that everyone should know about which often deviates from ideal play. Whichever you use will just change. As an example with Brawl, spot dodge form Falco 10 times in a row shouldn't work ideally. But, sometimes it does and could net you a free KO.
I see where you're going with this, if by proper playstyle we're talking about matchups. (If you're talking about a character's playstyle in general, I'm interested to hear what you have to say.) We have to take into consideration that our opponent may have more experience in a matchup than us. In that case, they could probably counter the "proper playstyle" quite well. That's where the adapting and creativity comes in, where our opponent may not have as much experience dealing with a deviation of our character.

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Glutonny used DACUS pretty often to finish a stock off or as a mix up when people didn't expect the gap closer, so idt it's a bad thing if you're using it somewhat often in matches. It really does depend on your opponent, but it's just another option Falco has. As long as you're not being painfully predictable with it, you shouldn't have a problem using it frequently.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Glutonny abuses Dacus as a punisher with Falco because it's an habit he has from Wario.
The difference from real people is that 1-you shouldn't stale Falco's best kill option and 2-Glutonny doesn't care about 1 because he makes godlike reads and can Fsmash/Dsmash as he wants.

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
You can use Usmash to build damage and still have it fresh enough to use as a kill move. To use Usmash / DACUS often isn't synonymous with using it consecutively, as I think you're presuming. Mix it in throughout if you want--that's what Glutonny does. He uses it often and still as a kill move more often than he uses Dsmash or Fsmash as a kill move....
I suppose you could always say Glutonny is just an exception to the mechanics of the game and that nobody should follow his example because he is simply "[different] from real people..."

Calvonta

The secret weapon
Speaking of BDacus, does anyone know if there's a way to Laser Laser BDacus more properly? Like in terms of finger positioning. I can't seem to get it right.

:phone:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
All you have to do is practice.

I use standard non custom controls and have no issue.
The method I use is Dash -> C-Stick Down -> C-Stick Up.

It flows a lot more smoothly and feels less awkward to execute, give it a try.

Calvonta

The secret weapon
All you have to do is practice.

I use standard non custom controls and have no issue.
The method I use is Dash -> C-Stick Down -> C-Stick Up.

It flows a lot more smoothly and feels less awkward to execute, give it a try.

Oh my gosh thank you. I never thought of it that way. I'll try it out.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I just picked up falco. So is there anything I should immediately get into the habit of or practise? Anything to avoid/watch out for?
Falco is a great damage racker so try to work on jab pressure, as well as pressuring with lasers as well as double lasers. Falco can chain grab to d-air off stage, so try and learn the timing for the grabs and what percent they go to.

As for things to watch out for, be careful not to get caught in chains. Due to falco's fast falling speed, he will take tons of damage from chain grabs and (my personal worst) sheik's forward tilt. :glare:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I just picked up falco. So is there anything I should immediately get into the habit of or practise? Anything to avoid/watch out for?
All I can say is to read the guides and practice what they preach.
That's all you really can do.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Uhm, this isn't falco related, but is there a place where I could possibly ask for a ride to some sort of tournament around my area? I feel like no one is responding to me cuz I'm a "random". P.S I've already tried Indiana social thread.. that place is the deadest ****ing state ever. ._.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Uhm, this isn't falco related, but is there a place where I could possibly ask for a ride to some sort of tournament around my area? I feel like no one is responding to me cuz I'm a "random". P.S I've already tried Indiana social thread.. that place is the deadest ****ing state ever. ._.
Megabus, try PMing Indiana players, or looking out of state.

Napos

Smash Ace
Buffering? Example is Falcos BDACUS?? How does one exactly buffer a move?

Top Bottom