• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
And instead of/after the Usmash you throw the banana on his landing then go to grab him again. Not doing the Usmash helps you chase since Diddy'll be closer but if you prefer guaranteed damage to a better follow up opportunity then go for Usmash.

Orrrrr you can wait until Diddy touches the ground (he won't trip since it's his banana) and go for the grab again. When I do that the Diddy usually picks up the banana (in hope he'll have enough time to throw it ? Idk), clearing the way for a cool and worriless CG.
0% legit though.

Also don't Dthrow Diddy when there's a banana on a platform right above you on BF or you'll trip.

:phone:

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Gatling combo him out of d-throw.
The Dash Attack will pick up the banana, the upsmash is guaranteed at that percent.
Kthanks. If that works then, would a dash attack cancel grab work then?

Question: Any advice for a Falco playing against Pit in the camping part of the match?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
SHL can't be FF'd because you can't fastfall during the neutral B animation and if you FF before you don't have enough airborne time left for the laser to come out.

No problem with Full Hop Lasers though lol.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Kthanks. If that works then, would a dash attack cancel grab work then?

Question: Any advice for a Falco playing against Pit in the camping part of the match?
patience and more patience. if the pit is playing on the ledge then you'll have to be pretty careful and pick your opportunities carefully. use mostly single jab, ftilt, and shl

Only by personal preference, dacus is more reliable in terms of execution as far as I can tell with even people who practice BDacus.

Plus, you cannot go from a stand, walk, or run into a BDacus. You can only dacus out of those three options.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
I understand that Falco is bad for teams, but I was wondering about a TL/Falco team ..? My partner and me are very decent and we're planning on trying to get as good as I can at dubs ( cus our dubs skillz are booty ) I'm not sure if this is a decent/good team, and I have come up with strategies, but I want to see another falco's opinion, anyone care to answer?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
I understand that Falco is bad for teams, but I was wondering about a TL/Falco team ..? My partner and me are very decent and we're planning on trying to get as good as I can at dubs ( cus our dubs skillz are booty ) I'm not sure if this is a decent/good team, and I have come up with strategies, but I want to see another falco's opinion, anyone care to answer?
I occasionally play with a TL partner and all I can say about it, that there's a part in a match where you start spamming all your **** towards your opponents. And it kind of works if you do it carefully. Then at high percents, my work is to setup the kill mainly for TL to do it with an Usmash or Fsmash. Not that you can't, but that's mainly how we roll.

EDIT: Also, yeah, Falco is bad for teams mainly for the pew pew. He flies solo:

Question: Laser lock set ups?

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
I occasionally play with a TL partner and all I can say about it, that there's a part in a match where you start spamming all your **** towards your opponents. And it kind of works if you do it carefully. Then at high percents, my work is to setup the kill mainly for TL to do it with an Usmash or Fsmash. Not that you can't, but that's mainly how we roll.

Question: Laser lock set ups?
Oh God, that's mad cute, falco ride solo, but all the *****es still love him. :D

Btw, these are some laser lock set ups, though I don't use laser lock much, cuz it's hard to get one on a good player.
Ftilt
Bair on shield on a platform like BF or YI would cause the opponent to go into edge slip animation, allowing you to laser lock/ Or just a sourspot bair while they're on the platform. >(If you don't understand second one, watch the latest video of DEHF vs Tyrant when DEHF does it near the end, it'll explain for itself.)
Ledge attack.
Occasionally, dair as well if you do it a bit later when you cg or punish, but it doesn't work often because the opponent can easily tech it.

That should be it for Laser Lock set ups, but there should be more for Platform laser lock set ups. :p

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The Dair should never, ever work.
They even can roll away if they miss the tech.

A common laser lock set up is edge slip.
Or D-Throw -> Jab -> Laser lock.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Yeah, I was mainly asking for stage set ups more than the plataform edge slip animation, I'll try working on it anyway.

Btw, Trollby, I like your sig.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
Ledge recovery options?

Alright, I have had some problems for a while now against certain characters when I'm on the ledge. But this may just be me in general, rather than against specific characters or situations. So I was wondering if someone could share a bit of advice with me. What do I do on the ledge? (Mostly applies against Marth)

-Jump Attacks-
Fall to Jump-U-Air
Fall to Jump B-Air (I never have any success with this)
Fall to Jump D-Air (also never get to work, range issues)
Fall to Jump N-Air or F-Air - These, good or bad options, have been helpful in the past. N-Air auto-cancels allowing you to move quickly, and Fair can shred through a shield and poke at the bottom, despite the hard landing.

-Jump Specials-
Fall to Jump Laser (soft hit + fall speed force up-b recovery)
Fall to Jump Illusion (Same as above, unless spaced out further but very readable)
Fall to Jump Deflector (long cool-down x.x)

-General options-
Fall to Jump Air-Dodge (Hit and miss)
Get up
Attack get up
Roll
Fall to Jump
Jump recovery
Wait

These are all the options I can think of. Sounds like a lot when listed, but in my experience it feels like the list isn't long enough. Perhaps it is my poor execution. I have trouble getting up against good players and people who make good reads. Yes, that is credit due to their play ability. However, I cannot seem to confuse them and get by. My ratio is probably 1/3 or 1/4 of getting by unscratched. Not very good when I'm taking damage or getting gimped.

Marth's Shield/Up-B, Up-B, and general forward-swing range with a weapon generally trumps any of my attempts to recover. And if I take too long deciding or fall back to jump, F-B or D-Tilt puts me in a really bad position, as does run-off F-Air's from Marth.

So, I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on any recovery options I may have forgot to list, which ones are generally better/safer, and/or in what situations? Or possibly what spacing Marth is from the Ledge on the stage, to decide which options are better to consider over which others? Thanks in advance guys, hope you can help.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You should be using Ledge hop Dair if they're right next to the edge.

Other than that, mix it up between ledge rolls/ get up/ ledge attack or ledge hop Nair/ Dair or Phantasm.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying that. But Marth is clear out of range. So I generally get F-Aired or F-Smashed for trying. For Phantasm, usually D-Tilt or F-Aired out of it.

*Sigh*

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Usually I get Up Attack/ Get up/ or get up roll.
Or phantasm if they're not close enough for immediate punish.

Your option relates to your opponents positioning.

If they're in X position.
Do Option Y.

Which ever option beats out theirs, is Option Y.
X position is where they've positioned themself.

kismet2

Smash Ace
@veeonix you're going to have to rely on good judgement and prediction because your opponent wants to make it very difficult for you to come back. there's no easy way out but mix up the options that poke gave you and i'm sure you'll do fine

falco's high jump is soooooo good for avoiding stuff and it gives you the mixup of landing with a crossup on your opponent

edit: falco is actually pretty decent in teams lol

Example1 (Observation)
A really common thing I see from people when I have the ledge is they choose to wait near the ledge, then run away expecting me to phantasm. They are guessing in this case and I get on for free by simply being waiting a bit, then choosing to get-up. The only reason they make this guess is because they keep playing other falco's who constantly get-off the ledge with LH phantasm.

Now, say you had been getting off the ledge with phantasm and you started seeing Marth running back towards the center of the stage when you didn't even decide to phantasm from the ledge. This is a good clue that the marth is being conditioned and making guesses about what you might do and you can change in the middle of the match due to this little observation.

Example2 (Baiting)
Say Marth is staying at about a rolls length from the ledge spamming dtilt or SH fair/nair in place. If you timed your get-up right, or a get-up attack correctly, you'd beat out that strategy. Or, you might try stalling by simply regrabbing the ledge again or even a few times in a row. Marth is either going to leave you alone or he will have to go offstage. Marth can never threaten you with his onstage options if you sweetspot the ledge with your jump everytime. The only way he can challenge this is to run off the stage.

Well, hopefully you see that if he does this you can get back on the stage with the right timing and option. If you airdodge the moment he decided to run off the stage, or you choose to roll as he ran off the stage, then you get back on for free. By successively regrabbing the ledge you can attempt to bait a marth at trying to hit you.

Conclusion
The point is you want to combine your experiences with what you have been doing, what marth has been doing, and your knowledge of what option you have that beat out what option he chooses to choose the best method of getting back on stage. And some selection you make can work depending upon the timing even if he explicitly gets beaten out right.

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips guys. Especially Xeylode's. That was very in depth and informative. I'll try that out the next time I get the chance.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
so im trying to learn the bdacus and occasionally when im doing it, or at least attempting it, ill get what looks like a hyphen smash, ive done both when coming out of shdl and spotdodge, is it just me not inputting the buttons right, or is it something else?

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
The Buffered Dacus has a few different traits, but you must keep in mind that it is still a Dacus. Which means it carries all the properties of a regular Dacus as well, like the ability to charge it. This means it can still be used for a Gatling (Or hyphen up-smash) or move at any 1 of Falco's 3 native Dacus lengths.

What causes the Hyphen U-Smash is the latent timing of inserting an U-Smash from the Dash Attack. Your Dash Attack is likely buffered properly, but your timing on the U-Smash is probably a little slower than it should be. Try using the same timing you use to buffer, but imputing the controls faster.

Also note - As far as I know the standard for a B-Dacus is inputting:
Analog stick + C-Stick up (same time)
Release both, making sure the analog stick is returned to full neutral position
C-Stick Up

All of this performed within the last 6 frames (or is it 10?) of another action. However, I have heard some people feel more comfortable replacing the first C-Stick Up command with a C-Stick Down, then sliding it up for the second input.

Hope this helps.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Hey, what frames do Falco's jab, Utilt, and Usmash come out?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
To know if you're doing the full length BDacus, Go to the edge of FD and face in to the stage, if you reach the centre of it, you've done the full length. If you reach a shorter distance, It means only one Usmash input was made during the buffer window. It's the last 10 frames of an action. You can Do C-Stick up twice or C-Stick Down -> C-Stick up. Whichever you're more comfortable with.

Jab 1 is Frame 2.
U-Tilt is Frame 4.
Usmash is frame 8.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
^ You cant, but you can short hop b reversal bdacus in the opposite direction. Also, I noticed that the distance Falco's bdacus travels can be controlled by two things, the amount of time between c stick inputs (The quicker the second input, the farther bdacus goes), and the duration of holding the c stick up (keep the second input c stick held up until upsmash animation is over for maximum distance) With enough practice, you can effectively "control" the distance of your bdacus, similar to how Falco's side b cancels and extensions can be used effectively.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You CAN BDACUS in the opposite direction, it's just extremely hard.

Let's say you're facing right
Normal BDACUS inputs are
Right on analog stick + up on C-stick -->up on C-stick again

For a BDACUS in the opposite direction, you would have to press
Left --> down --> left (all on analog) + up on C-stick --> up on C-stick again

Keep in mind you have to do all of this within a 10-frame window. It's theoretically possible but in practice you'll either never get it or get it so rarely that it's not worth trying.

(Technically speaking you can do the 2nd C-stick input after the buffer window but that affects the distance of the BDACUS)

Naridax

Smash Journeyman
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) / Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks, V115. I remember seeing a Japanese video some time ago demonstrating the same idea on executing buffered pivot grabs in the direction one is facing with Dedede.

Can anyone else confirm that holding up on the C-Stick gives Falco's BDACUS maximum range? I have never heard about this idea before.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Just test it yourself, narifax. You stop sliding when you let go of the second c stick input. Therefore, assuming you inputted bdacus correctly, you get maximum distance when second c stick up is held during the entire upsmash animation.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
The game only registers movement of the cstick from neutral position. So keeping it up does nothing. This is why you can't roll the cstick for grab breaking and whatnot. (but if it works for your bdacus, then keep doing it)

Q. Would anyone have (or be able to make) a picture or video showing the up smash hitbox of his full bdacus? I have a poor understanding of where Falco can hit his opponent when using it.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm fairly certain keeping up the C-stick does nothing as well. The C-stick is really just a directional input and an A input.

I'm sure you're aware, pressing down on the C-stick will cause you to dsmash, but HOLDING down will NOT cause you to charge it. So clearly the A input is not being held.

And when you input a direction on the C-stick, the direction from the C-stick will override the input from the analog stick for only one frame (which is the main idea behind DSSDI).

So holding the C-stick doesn't prolong any inputs, making it no different than simply tapping the C-stick.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
I know nothing about theory crafting or game mechanics. My findings are simply from playing the game. Im fairly certain the timing in which you release the second c stick input allows bdacus to be cancelled at multiple distances. I use the C stick down to C stick up method, not sure if that changes anything. But im sitting here right now in training mode practicing it. And, from what Im seeing, the timing for when you release the second C input DOES make a difference in distance.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
I do know a bit about theory crafting and game mechanics. Infinitev is right.

It's possible that when you hold the cstick up, that's not the only thing that you're doing differently. But if that works for you, then you should keep at it.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
I did some more bdacus testing, and heres what I found. Im in training mode, standing at the far left side of FD. I SHDL bdacused without holding C stick up the whole time and Falco ended up just to the left of the diamond on the center of FD. When I SDHL bdacus and hold the second c stick input during the entire upsmash animation, I end up INSIDE the diamond, almost directly in the center of FD. Im unsure whether this causes his upsmash to actually go farther, or just causes Falco to slide farther after the upsmash comes out.
Edit: I am to only be able to change the distance Falco's bdacus slides with the "cstick down + c stick up" method.

Top Bottom