• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

If we can buffer a Bdacus, what about a boost pivot grab? Falco's pivot grab is 2 frames faster than his dash grab. Could there be a few people that we can extend the chaingrab for by using the BPG?

eh no one answer my question so i will ask again, for a boosted pivot grab chaingrab are you supposed to buffer the action like with BDACUS or is tehr another way?
and i find that the daffy duck falco is the coolest sking, anyone else feel that way?
The only thing you really need to buffer is the dash. The rest can be done afterwards.

I have a serious question for the Falco boards. How does it feel to have a character that can easily chaingrab to death, I mean why not just main MK?
oh, a troll question. Well, a question is a question. It's so much more fun to go "pew pew pew pew pew pew" with lasers than it is to go "smack smack smack smack smack" with a stick. Those sounds also make playing MK rather awkward.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well here is the thing... dont come trolling here with that because look at the ice climbers. 1 grab and your dead. We can only do like 0-50% grabs on you.

Also our grabs isnt the only thing that make us good... but it is way more fun when we grab ^_^

omega zero

Smash Cadet
I need some general advice for the Snake Match Up. How do I deal with his prone crawl and F-Tilt? Lastly, What are some good ways to get him in the air?

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I need some general advice for the Snake Match Up. How do I deal with his prone crawl and F-Tilt? Lastly, What are some good ways to get him in the air?
I'm not a pro or anything, but my brother uses snake fairly well.

For the prone crawl, there is that whole idea of run off lasers again. Since I'm mid level, I prefer to let him crawl toward me and just use SH>aerial or SHAD>tilt/grab/jab.

For ftilt, I'm not sure. If he is close and obviously wants a quick attack, I can expect a jab or tilt so i shield or space him out. Side dodge can avoid it sometimes, so if the snake grabs a lot, use it. That ftilt is a big reason of why snake is 2nd on tiers.

To get snake in the air, I prefer to just knock them off stage. Our air game makes it pretty easy to stop snake's recovery, so some prefer to just go up and over.

As for other tips I can think of, you can really camp him with lasers if you watch out for cooked nades. Try not to reflect all of them, but mix it up. You can outcamp him so don't worry too much about nade spam. Reflector also safely destroys landmines, bounces nades, reflects mortars, and generally ruins snake's projectiles.

That's my mid level tips. I bet the better players can correct me and add stuff

swordsaint

Smash Master
More questions, this time pertaining to the Wolf matchup.

Q1 - Can we punish a perfectly spaced bair on shield?

Q2 - How do we beat a platform camping wolf?

Q3 - Generally what kind of style should we play against Wolf?

Q4 - This may sound silly, but sometimes I feel like Wolf's downsmash with good spacing is fairly safe on shield, how to punish it?

Q5 - Most reliable damage racking/poke tools in this matchup?

Q6 - How do I recover against a good Wolf? I sometimes find myself getting shine gimped, and/or being hit by the blaster through phantasm. Even if I make it back to the edge or stage, I see to be getting thrown back offstage or dsmashed back off.

Q7 - What's the most ideal spacing against a Wolf?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
No

Lasers and fullhop bairs

Punish actions after one of his (so if he bairs on your shield, he always jumps afterwards to be airborne again, punish the jump. if he lasers and fsmashes afterwards, punish the fsmash)

Wolf's have no good frame data on their boards, so I don't really know how to punish it. Your fastest options are generally ShieldDrop > dash attack (11 frames at fastest) or ShieldDrop > Shine (11-13 frames, 13 for max range) so try one of those and see if it works lol.

Overall, against wolf I mainly use lasers and jabs to pressure his shield til he must give it up. an up angled ftilt beats his bair (lol), but it's hard to master. You won't be getting any grabs here so don't try. Overall, wolf wins in the air on close range, but on the ground you have everything. Force him down with lasers and fight on your territory.

Recover high to platforms and mix it up, lol. Recover high is underused : ( phantasm long cancel is extremely good for high recovery. If you get hit offstage while recovering make sure to keep your jump.

Ideal spacing is in his face with jabs.

Overall, camp a looooot.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm picking up Falco seriously, and l would like to know l look into the threads on this board, which ones are definitely outdated and which l shouldn't follow (like l know CG thread since it was tested in training mode =x) i don't wanna be mislead in the future D:

and which threads should a new beginning falco look into first?

thanks!

edit: sad no one has answered yet =(

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
If we can buffer a Bdacus, what about a boost pivot grab? Falco's pivot grab is 2 frames faster than his dash grab. Could there be a few people that we can extend the chaingrab for by using the BPG?
That would be interesting thing to test, I think we should make a new CG thread with more accurate percentages, and stuff like this and boost grabbing.

And how about shield cancelled grab? That would also make the grab come out faster amirite?

We can buffer BPG, but the inputs take too long to be humanly possible loool.
Forward, back, c-stick, grab. Uhh... I do not see how it would take too long. Bdacus is like forward, c-stick, up, attack. They seem about the same. If not easier for the BPG.

pulse131

Smash Ace
Q1 - Can we punish a perfectly spaced bair on shield?
no, unless its powersheilded then you can probably get a dash attack or something

Q2 - How do we beat a platform camping wolf?
on BF looots of nair, bair. or camp yourself on the corners near the edge. all he can really do is drop through and bair or laser.
Q3 - Generally what kind of style should we play against Wolf?
you dont want wolf controlling the stage. from what ive seen wolfs tend to go from one side of the stage to the other, and thats the best way to get hits in. also dont be to obvious and commited to the CG, wolf is very good at not getting grabbed, and for a good reason. (i go wolf against icies)

Q4 - This may sound silly, but sometimes I feel like Wolf's downsmash with good spacing is fairly safe on shield, how to punish it?
its not just you. if you see wolf spotdodging or rolling right out of it when they see your going to try and punish, see what they do and grab em out of it. (run right past em and reverse grab the spotdodge :))
Q5 - Most reliable damage racking/poke tools in this matchup?
poking isnt that good on wolf. if your getting away with it go ahead tho. wolf jab is awesome tho. but watevs falcos is the quickest.
Q6 - How do I recover against a good Wolf? I sometimes find myself getting shine gimped, and/or being hit by the blaster through phantasm. Even if I make it back to the edge or stage, I see to be getting thrown back offstage or dsmashed back off.
if your below the ledge offstage, say good bye. specially when your jumps gone. in such a case your only option is getting around.
Q7 - What's the most ideal spacing against a Wolf?
good ol lasers and phantasm. dont laser to close cuz his blaster isnt bad itself, nor is his reflector.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Forward, back, c-stick, grab. Uhh... I do not see how it would take too long. Bdacus is like forward, c-stick, up, attack. They seem about the same. If not easier for the BPG.
Buffering a pivot is annoying.
turn arounds
-hold backwards, then let go of it and immediately buffer whatever you want to do
It's listed as pretty hard.

Now, you have to buffer a grab, for which you have to FLICK the Z. That's so hard to do when buffering quickly. Now you have 2 movements which both have to revert to neutral before you can do anything else, that's pretty darn annoying too. It's really hard, try it yourself lol. The best thing to do is buffer a DA and cancel it with a pivotgrab like said before.

swordsaint

Smash Master
or that

so like. ive been so bored I've just been whacking my snake in training ( ;) ) for a while. and i noticed that we can land an fsmash even fi we're on a platform above him. probably known, but i was thinking that it could be used as like, a mindgame or something at the ledge. we charge fsmash on platform. they just get up from the ledge thinking "lol that'll never hit" but then BAM it does.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm picking up Falco seriously, and l would like to know which to look into the threads on this board, which ones are definitely outdated and which l shouldn't follow (like l know CG thread since it was tested in training mode =x) i don't wanna be mislead in the future D:

and which threads should a new beginning falco look into first?

or just in general whatever basic stuff a falco should work on right away

thanks!

edit: sad no one has answered yet =(
l guess no one likes a newbie at all D:

swordsaint

Smash Master
im sorry hippe.

i dont know what you should be looking at in terms of threads. pretty much all of them are outdated, and you're be much better off just posting videos for critique or asking questions in general

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hippie, I got here about 2 weeks before you did, and all I did was, look up frame data and other stuff in the stickeyd threads and subscribed to this thread and the Falco's bakery (social) thread and DEHFs matchup discussion thread.

pulse131

Smash Ace
i pretty much keep updated on this one and the bakery for social reasons.
also i hadnt the faintest clue that you could hit snake standing on a platform above him. im assuming you are referring to the edge of the platform on battlefield. o.o

pulse131

Smash Ace
wow thats awesome. just like he can do to us ;p
im assuming it works on him cuz he is tall and that it would work on samus, CF, ganon, maybe bowser and dedede?
but ya i gotta try that sounds tight.

swordsaint

Smash Master
lol i never said it was useful kid

but like i did say, if they dont know that it could be useful as mindgamey edgeguard if they just stand up from the ledge thinking it wont hit them =P

pulse131

Smash Ace
not exactly one of those things you go around telling your friends, more, one of those things you manage to pull off on your friends in a not so serious match.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
buttloads of questions

1.) I'm still having a hard time consistently doing IAP. The most consistent method I use is Up, upforward, forward, B using the analog stick, but sometimes I get firebird in the process. Any tips or methods? I use X to jump, btw.

2.) How do you chaingrab Olimar and Marth properly?

3.) What's up with Falco's horizantal mobility? I'll find myself at times not even being able to move left or right off stage. Thought it was my controller at first, lol.

4.) How can I tell that I'm jab cancelling properly? Is there a difference bewteen a jab cancel and just doing a double jab without the spinny hands?

5.) What characters can you pivot boost grab without dropping the grab? Does this work on Snake before he can pull a grenade?

6.) How do you b-reversal laser properly? B-reversal feels easy with Snake, Diddy, Olimar, etc. but I'm having a hard time doing it with Falco; especially with short hop.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Set X to special and Y to jump, or reverse. That's what I do and it's really easy. Then again, I prefer runoff phantasm, as it's mixup-able with bairrrr

Run and buffer

Check your controller lol

A jab cancel is just cancelling your jab, lol. You are jab cancelling, but if you buffer a down on the control stick the controller wont read your next attack input as the third jab but as another first one.

Dunno and yes

b reversal is tap other side > b
wavebounce is b > tap other side
reversed wavebounce is tap other side > b > tap other side

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. I do it the same way you do, it just takes practice to get it right. But from what I can tell, most falcos around here, change the shoulder button that they dont use to shield, they change that to jump so you can jump with a finger and hit b with the thumb.

3. yea, I get that too, it kinda seem like knockback sometimes lingers longer with him, and thus you cant move in the air for a longer period of time, but because side b covers so much distance its never actually affected my recovery.

4. you can jab cancel jab 1 and jab 2. and if you dont cancel jab2, you go into the jab wheel. you can tell youre doing it right when what ever move you did after hits the opponent lol.

6. its just an awkward motion. once again, practice makes perfect.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
@swordsaint, oh it's okay =( most boards and in brawl in general just seem to be on a stale movement or just dead or something idk lol, this board looked the most active one so l gave it a try lol

@ kid goggles didnt know u were falco, i thought u were a sonic xDD

i'm still getting a hang of Falco's general stuff (movement, spacing, frame data, techanical skill execution wise na meanz yo?) when l get a hang of that, l'll get videos up.

i mostly want to pick him as a secondary, in terms of covering luigi/mario's when people (really) shut down my character.

some questions : 1) how do you make the lasers hit MK? l see alot of videos ppl doing double lasers, and it hits MK (forces him to constantly shield) whenever l double laser, most small characters seem to just run up under me and just **** me.

2) What's IAP ?
3) how do you exactly do the short phantasm, and the long phantasm?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ kid goggles didnt know u were falco, i thought u were a sonic xDD
Hippie, I got here about 2 weeks before you did,

lol. Ive been playing falco as a serious secondary to my Sonic for a few months now. you can ask snakeee about it if you ever see him.

some questions : 1) how do you make the lasers hit MK? l see alot of videos ppl doing double lasers, and it hits MK (forces him to constantly shield) whenever l double laser, most small characters seem to just run up under me and just **** me.

2) What's IAP ?
3) how do you exactly do the short phantasm, and the long phantasm?
1. The way I do it, is to time your first laser so that you are hitting b right at the apex of his SH, and than when the second laser comes out, it should be low enough to hit any standing character. some ducking characters will be able to get under them no matter what tho.

2. Instant aerial phantasm. that side b right above the ground that lands and has very very little lag.

3. by hitting B at different times while falco is actually in moment. I dont know when exactly the cancel windows out, I kinda just naturally got the hang of it by feel...

I find Halberd as one of the poorer counterpick options unless you have already won on stages like SV, FD, BF, or they were banned. As much as I try to think there are other stages falco can be good on, there are simply no stages as good as those neutrals. I would avoid Halberd.

pulse131

Smash Ace
l0ol dont take snake to halberd. or if your opponent tends to try to star ko you. low cieling not necessarily good for falcos unless your bdacus is hella good.

swordsaint

Smash Master
upsmash OoS is fairly **** too pulse

more falcos should find ways to use their shield as an offensive tool.

but on halberd we also have uair

however I also wouldn't take a snake to halberd

pulse131

Smash Ace
tru.
but usually unless i can think of a reason to take someone to one of those stage ive prolly already thought of 2 reasons to just take em to BF

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
depends on how liberal any persons particular stage list is.

also, ill probably be counterpicking people to brinstar when I play falco.

Top Bottom