• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Twinkieftw

Smash Cadet
So bait Sonic? I was very aggressive, as I usually am, and it didn't work out too well. Got punished a lot. Anything besides just...getting him to approach rather than me?

Dedede: Nair and DB. Got it.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So bait Sonic? I was very aggressive, as I usually am, and it didn't work out too well. Got punished a lot. Anything besides just...getting him to approach rather than me?

Dedede: Nair and DB. Got it.
The way Sonic works is baiting you into thinking he's whiffing and lagging when in reality the Sonic can move very fast. You cannot run into his traps or you will be punished hard. Literally standing still and having him approach you will easily swing the match in your favor, as Marth has way better tools overall. Now if you have the advantage, don't be afraid to go on the offensive. Your gonna have to learn how to mix aggressive and defensive play.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Jab and d tilt are pretty stupid good VS Sonic.

If you're cool/good you can even use DB to punish his attacks as well as hes charging at you. lol.

I think this match up is pretty annoying but just be very patient (as always) and you'll be fine. Don't attack him though.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Dtilt works untilt he decides to bait it

In general thats what sonics due they can stall for ridiculous times and bait attacks and punish

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ok in training mode I wanted to be able to F smash MK out of GR. As far as i know no conventional methods work. So I considered Pivotwalking.

To do this I pummled with A (and held A) and flicked the c stick diagonaly up to get a pivot.
To increase the slide I walked for a slight bit first and then pivot into F smash

It tippers allright but the issue is I have no idea if its inescapable

If somone can help me test it I would Greatly appreciate it. Considering if it works we have a garunteed kill move on MK

Also if you are willing to test this PLZ be on aim with me

my yahoo is blacknight9934@yahoo
or aim is Soren9934
Could he get an answer for this? Don't have an SD card ATM.

THEND

Smash Cadet
I have a simple question:

Is it better to use the c-stick for fairs, or A button? I've been using Marth for a while now, and I use A, so should I re-learn using c-stick? Or just keep using A?

Thank yous.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I have a simple question:

Is it better to use the c-stick for fairs, or A button? I've been using Marth for a while now, and I use A, so should I re-learn using c-stick? Or just keep using A?

Thank yous.
C-Stick your aerials, as you maintain the ability to keep your aerial mobility while attacking.

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
Plus Cstick can give you the ability to easily fast fall and aerial cancelling. Also it gives you the ability to SHAD.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
^ this.

Retreating is essentially.

On a side note it is easier to pivot walk if you use c stick and hold whcih can useful for retreating after a fair or follow up at high percents however Pivot walking is extremely situational.

JoeJenkins

Smash Rookie
Does anybody have any like percentage tables for Marth? I made a thread about this and some other things, but apparently I had to come here. **** THIS COMMUNISM!

-Cross-

Smash Ace
So does anybody know frame data on Marth's dash attack? All I need to know is the hitbox duration and the ending frame. Steel's frame data thread does not have it.

THEND

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys =)

I have another question:
Now that I'm using the c-stick, my short hop fair comes out slower because the stick is further away from X than A is. So i was playing around and i figured out that if I jump using tap jump and fair right away, Marth will do a short hop fair right after he jumps allowing me to use the c stick and still have speed. anyway, is this a bad technique?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
you are really just going to have to wing it OR switch Z to jump and X to grab unless you take your springs out

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Thanks guys =)

I have another question:
Now that I'm using the c-stick, my short hop fair comes out slower because the stick is further away from X than A is. So i was playing around and i figured out that if I jump using tap jump and fair right away, Marth will do a short hop fair right after he jumps allowing me to use the c stick and still have speed. anyway, is this a bad technique?
I always do this, it works for all aierals. It's fine, I like using it to fair OOS. It's really useful for wolf, cuz my fingers are fat & slow, so auto canceling sh fairs become super ez

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. How can i turnaround Shieldbreaker in the ground.
EX: Marth Runs to the Right>Flips and does Shieldbreaker to the left.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You have to do a true pivot during the initial dash, or else you just have to pause, wait and then B reverse.

For true pivot, tap the stick in one direction to initiate a dash, let go of it and when you reach the end of the initial dash, move the stick in the opposite direction, slightly and Marth will pivot. Do that, and then as soon as you pivot hit B. If done correctly, the tip of sheild breaker should be where you were previously standing. Just work with it until you get the timing down and it works with any move (except for aerials, obviously)

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
^No.

Practice running, then putting the analog stick to neutral. Hit B. You should stop running and shield breaker if you timed it right.

Now do the same thing, but turn around the shield breaker after you hit B. You could true pivot it, but it's 9999x harder, lol.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
^ True pivot comes out faster and can be used with any move. I don't think it's really that hard, so I think it's worth giving it a shot. Practicing it your way was harder timing for me XD To each his own. Do whichever works best for you, Neon.

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys. I think I'll practice both and use each one according to the situation. Also megavitamins do you mean Foxtrotting then Turnaround Shieldbreaker?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DASH ATTACK said:
[Attack: Dash Attack]
[Hit: 13-16 | Damage: 10 | BKB: 37 | KBG: 46 | HL: 70]
[Hit: 13-16 | Damage: 9 | BKB: 3C | KBG: 23 | HL: 70]
[Hit: 13-16 | Damage: 12 | BKB: 37 | KBG: 50 | HL: 125]
[IASA: 49]

Shield advantage (non-tip): -31
For the guy who asked. I went and copy and pasted this into the frame data thread.

-

From what I recall, Marth cannot do a shieldbreaker in his dash. He can only do a shieldbreaker, and hence a pivot shieldbreaker once hes running...

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
IS it possible to somhow do F smash out of dash? I can pretty much prove now my pivot walk release on MK doesn't work however dashing might and people able to tip MK with F smash would have to be a great assest

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I Refuse To Give Up Trying To F Smash Tip Mk Out Of Grab Release

I Will Even This Match Up Or Die Trying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhtSaaf0beA
how did u F snash whikle dashing mr R

Edit I figured it out. You foxtroted and canceled the second dash with i believe a stutter step (like i beleive its when you go the other way and then F smash right?)

I am testing it on MK right now

Edit again-I currently cannot do this consistently enough to be able to find out if it works. The times I did it correctly it hits MK before he touches the ground. again If somone else can verify I will be very thankful

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking something similar to blacknights idea but using throws. I'm gonna do tests with friends either Friday or sat but until then if someone else can I would appreciate it.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
throws aren't a bad idea the only issue is it will be percent specific

I don't mind helping on throws either, I am really just looking for ways to land my tipper. I honestly think marth MK can be made even if we find the right things. And to be honest if we can find a way to get a tipper out of grab release we pretty much have a garunteed kill at 60-70% or higher (a 1 grab 1 stock at that percent sounds sexy to me)

Also call me Soren or FeSoren, NOT blacknight. My name is confusing but I put my email adress in for my name when i made this a year or so ago, on AIB (whcih i had been more active) I am FeSoren.

And If you want to help with making the marth chat active http://xat.com/MarthBrawlers

Unless of course we already have one

Top Bottom