• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
No it's not as good as Melee's, as the knockback and hitsun are greatly reduced in Brawl. It can possibly work good on the ledge, I use it.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
It's still fun to use though occasionally, if they hang on the ledge too long or if the ledge drop and jump to attack you or something (in which you can dtilt them).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
While you don't move quite as smoothly, it's more convenient to just use repeated pivot boosts.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
^^ explain what you mean. I'm not following that.

also, was it just me + wifi, or is it pretty hard to grab peach?

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
^ Pivot boosting = turning side to side while still remaining forward momentum. You move with more of a slide than just walking.

You basically press back and forth to keep Marth turning around and around while moving.

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
Just Sheild Grab Her when she Fairs not that hard but then again its wifi anything can happen.

Lawkk

Smash Rookie
So I don't forward smash at all with Marth. Not even when they are at kill percents. I always end up using DS, nair, utilt/smash, or dsmash as my killers mainly.

Should I start using fsmash or is it fine to rely on these moves for killing?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
It's definitely fine to not rely on fsmash! Fsmash is a risky move, and using other moves instead is always a good choice :) Whipping out a fresh fsmash now and then though could be a good idea, since the opponent may not expect it from you, and it can catch someone off guard and kill them at lower percents (like 80%) near the edge of the stage.

Even up throwing after 180% is a good way to kill :).

@MZDAM

I'm not sure, haven't played against many Peaches. If it's well spaced though, then probably not, since she'll DI backwards right after Fair hits, and so by the time your grab activiates she should be too far. You could just shield then walk then grab, though. Pivot grab should have long enough range though, if you make sure you time it correctly so she can't DI away.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i tipper fsmashed a rob at the edge of bf at 90% once and he didnt die

i was mad

i do not use fsmash to kill anymore, it betrayed me

Likeness101

Smash Apprentice
Fredericton, New Brunswick & Freeport, The Bah
Can you shield grab her well spaced fair?
As far as I know a well spaced fair won't get grabbed. It depends though, if we Float Cancel the fair and you try to grab Peach and it is well spaced you will be eating a jab. If I stayed in the float then after I did a fair or even before I did it I would move back so I don't get grabbed.

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah it was last stock tourny match 1-1 and then i ended up losing because i was at like 150% or something ridiculous like that, and then i got hit

]:

it probobly wasnt FRESH, but i doubt i used it more than one MAYBE two times before

i was like wtf i give up and got greedy on the edgehog, and got gyroed

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
When they could use the cg, I'm sure they would, but otherwise, it's not a good idea to keep only one move (in this case a cg combo) on your mind. If you focus on one strategy too much, it will prevent you from being too open minded, and you could take a lot of damage trying to cg them. It'll make you really obvious that you're trying to grab them, too.

So it's more of a thing you should do only when you definitely have the chance to grab them, otherwise you play like normal, or you'll waste your efforts.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
i was watching marth videos vs falco and why dosent anyone use the cg?
At the professional level, you learn to avoid the chaingrab. If a Falco doesn't see an easy opening, he won't risk it. When you're fighting a falco, you have to remember not to use smashes and other punishable moves too early on. You shouldn't do this anyway, but it's especially critical against Falcos.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
The main reason is it's hard to grab a good Falco, especially at lower percents when you have to get around laser camping, rolling, phantasms, and they're grabs.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I feel stupid, but I was reading this sentence in one of the Marth Guides....

Additionally, an auto-canceled Uair combos into virtually every move (exceptions: shieldbreaker, counter, dsmash above 5ish %, dtilt above 5ish %) at low percents.

...and I don't realy understand what the term "auto-canceling" is.....

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Ahh, you're referring to Marth's chaingrab.

Proper Nouns>Pronouns
Why didn't you note on how Falco's CG on Marth works in the first place. Falco can only land 2 dthrows (and ONLY when buffered) and is then able to follow up with a gatling combo. As such, there is rarely any sort of real chaingrab. Just a lame combo, which is avoidable by spacing well.

edit:

Additionally, an auto-canceled Uair combos into virtually every move (exceptions: shieldbreaker, counter, dsmash above 5ish %, dtilt above 5ish %) at low percents.

Landing within specific frames of an attack so that it doesn't suffer any more than normal landing lag. Uair autocancels on all frames.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
At the professional level, you learn to avoid the chaingrab. If a Falco doesn't see an easy opening, he won't risk it. When you're fighting a falco, you have to remember not to use smashes and other punishable moves too early on. You shouldn't do this anyway, but it's especially critical against Falcos.

Daffy

Smash Rookie
Ok I was playing Samus agaisnt a pretty good marth player and I got the feeling samus has very good means of dealing with marth. I beat marth with Samus using carefuly spacing with bombs, and other things.. When he played as Samus and I was marth I found it very hard to approach samus. We used the same tricks on each other. Basicaly as Samus I would short hop back and use the Chain mid air alot this was racking up some good damage, plus I was nicly able to keep my distance with missles, the Cannon, and approach quite easily with the f-air. then follow it up for some sort of finsh. I guess my question is Samus a good counter pick agaisnt marth.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Ok I was playing Samus agaisnt a pretty good marth player and I got the feeling samus has very good means of dealing with marth. I beat marth with Samus using carefuly spacing with bombs, and other things.. When he played as Samus and I was marth I found it very hard to approach samus. We used the same tricks on each other. Basicaly as Samus I would short hop back and use the Chain mid air alot this was racking up some good damage, plus I was nicly able to keep my distance with missles, the Cannon, and approach quite easily with the f-air. then follow it up for some sort of finsh. I guess my question is Samus a good counter pick agaisnt marth.
You can't keep up the camping all the time, once Marth closes in on Samus she's dead.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I use a combo that I came up with while playing as Marth in Melee. It was basically useing Dtilt until the enemy was far enough to hit with the tip of Marth's Fsmash. But it hasn't been working in Brawl. Is this move easily noteicable or just lame?
The Shaya says, "Use nair instead." Actually I think I heard him say that a completely decayed down-tilt combos into tipper Fsmash.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I use a combo that I came up with while playing as Marth in Melee. It was basically useing Dtilt until the enemy was far enough to hit with the tip of Marth's Fsmash. But it hasn't been working in Brawl. Is this move easily noteicable or just lame?
Well, you can still link a dtilt to fsmash at lower percentages, under the right circumstances and such. It's not a combo though, but it can link well... dtilt to DB would probably be better though.

how do you play as a defensive marth against a camper?
Master perfect shielding to make sure you won't get hit by any dumb missiles or such ever again... weave in and out of projectiles and such and keep shielding/dodging. It'll either make them give up and come to you, or get frustrated. If not, then go approach them (I guess this is where Steel's advice comes into play?).

QUOTE]you learn to be offensive.[/QUOTE]

lolwut

I think I heard him say that a completely decayed down-tilt combos into tipper Fsmash.
Sweet :) I don't think my dtilt will easily be completely decayed though :(.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Why didn't you note on how Falco's CG on Marth works in the first place. Falco can only land 2 dthrows (and ONLY when buffered) and is then able to follow up with a gatling combo. As such, there is rarely any sort of real chaingrab. Just a lame combo, which is avoidable by spacing well.
He follows up with dairing and tech chases as well. The grab set-up is really dangerous and leads to much more dangerous things than his true combos.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
...Hahaha I came to ask for tips on getting through campers/projectile spam, and I see it's be asked! Still though, I'll elaborate.

Some friends of mine like to play Samus, Falco and Snake, and we have ******** wifi FFAs where poor Marth is helplessly caught between lasers, grenades and missiles at any given moment. Wifi screws with PSing, so any other tips? Obviously the situation's pretty stupid, but sometimes it comes down to me vs. one of them and the camping still wrecks me. ESPECIALLY the Samus. They're more casual than competitive by far, so a lot of the usual matchup advice doesn't apply so much. Such as, the Samus doesn't use zair or dtilt. He just stands back and shoots crap, dash attacks, and up-b's. And the Snake ROLLS. ALL the time. XD

IDK, I just don't think I should be having so much trouble against them, and seeing as the tired old casual vs. competitive argument has come up once or twice and I'm known for all my brawl-related knowledge, losing just makes me look stupid and, to them, reinforces their arguments (such as, "tier lists don't matter 'cause I can beat your Marth with Ganon!").

Thus I come humbly asking for tips. Despite the fact that wifail lives up to it's nickname and FFAs are ghey. XD

Player-3

Smash Hero
you could always play snake

and use ftilt

works wonders on wifi......

but other than that.....
ledgecamp!

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Auto-Cancelling is when an aerial (uair, shayair, etc...) and all lag is cancelled when you make contact with the ground. This does not work with Marth's dair or bair; on all other aerial moves, he has no landing lag. For this reason, these attacks combo well.

...Hahaha I came to ask for tips on getting through campers/projectile spam, and I see it's be asked! Still though, I'll elaborate.

Some friends of mine like to play Samus, Falco and Snake, and we have ******** wifi FFAs where poor Marth is helplessly caught between lasers, grenades and missiles at any given moment. Wifi screws with PSing, so any other tips? Obviously the situation's pretty stupid, but sometimes it comes down to me vs. one of them and the camping still wrecks me. ESPECIALLY the Samus. They're more casual than competitive by far, so a lot of the usual matchup advice doesn't apply so much. Such as, the Samus doesn't use zair or dtilt. He just stands back and shoots crap, dash attacks, and up-b's. And the Snake ROLLS. ALL the time. XD

IDK, I just don't think I should be having so much trouble against them, and seeing as the tired old casual vs. competitive argument has come up once or twice and I'm known for all my brawl-related knowledge, losing just makes me look stupid and, to them, reinforces their arguments (such as, "tier lists don't matter 'cause I can beat your Marth with Ganon!").

Thus I come humbly asking for tips. Despite the fact that wifail lives up to it's nickname and FFAs are ghey. XD
On Samus:
Fair or Shayair through missiles.
Bait and dodge the Blue Blast of *****iness with ADs or SDs.
DI the hell out of her Up+B (I think you can 0,o) and punish.

On Snake:
Throw back uncooked grenades, if you can.
Bait the c4 detonation.
Keep him in the air.
Dtilt his rolls and dash attacks.
Don't fall for the dthrow tech-chase.

On Falco:
Fair a lot. A lot.
Crouch the shdl and short hop the lag cancelled ones.
Punish the predictable phantasm.
Pivot grab when you suspect he's going for the spot-dodge>grab; he likes to do this a lot at lower percentages.
Add different levels to your game; full hop, double jump and short hop so he never knows where you're headed.

Top Bottom