• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Glidetossing towards Diddy Kong is a very solid strategy when it comes to losing. Many people don't have any idea what they are doing with items, thinking that having a goddamn long glidetoss makes you the ****, immediately do it and then eat 40% punish or worse.

C.J.

Smash Master
Because ike's fair and aether outrange olimars grabs and smashes.

There is no video that I know of but I can make one if youre interested, C.J. showed this to me at a tournament in winter haven back in early march.

Edit: The fthrow(up to 3 fthrows total)->dair combo may result in a kill if you get a footstool->dair, but that is really risky.
3rd fthrow into dair is HARD, 1st/2nd are easy though. You don't go for a footstool dair afterwards. You fight him below the stage. Your goal is to use ledge invincibility to hit him under the stage (still at low %s so he can't tech) or snatch his jump w/ bair and then DS regrab trick to VICTORY!

Why should Marth have trouble getting back onstage against Olimar? And why does Ike have an easier time getting back stage control? I thought it's Olimar's defense that should give trouble more than anything else. Too bad Marth's moves don't hit hard enough against DDD's recovery, but we can still rack up a lot of damage on DDD when we get him offstage. Is there any vids of a Marth using that grab release on DDD that is "kinda" an infinite? Could it break the MU by suddenly us having a way of killing him below 160%?

I like landing by just moving away from DDD because DDD's mobility is really slow which makes it hard for him to chase us when we decide to run away. BTW I've noticed that sometimes he can shield between DBs. Am I too slow with DB or should he actually be able to have time to shield between them?
Ike is actually really good against D3. Your main tool is backthrow->dash attack then steal the ledge and force to them recover with upB. Then punish him with Uair/Fair/Fsmash/Upsmash you name it.
"Really good" is like Marth vs Ness or Pika vs Falco. Really good means you win and Ike/D3 is even at best (it's super slight Ike advantage so it could be understood as a 0).

Speaking of D3, just what does Marth do in that matchup? I feel like I just get completely destroyed if I mess up a forwards air.
That's basically it. It's the perfect MU to practice fundamentals since that's the ENTIRE EIGHT MINUTES.
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/overthrow-the-king.311118/

I got sloppy/tech errors after my first stock, but yeah, basically mimic my first stock. For 8 minutes. Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5b-fI1AW0

i was messing around with marth's glide toss and i'm curious as to if the forward glide toss is useful.
It's "best" use is as a cross-up tbh. Get behind him, they're usually holding shield (throw the banana up when you GT please) and then grab them.

Marth has a short forward toss and a long one.
They're as useful as you using them properly are.

Comfortability and experience is key here. Using all your item-related tech (being able to aerial with items / z drop/ buffering things etc) together can have great results.
Item things going on here?
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/diddy-tips-and-item-tricks.309846/

Forward glide toss is amazing for spacing. Try forward glide tossing a banana at diddy then fsmash him. Unless they catch it, then you just cry.
Nope- you never GT into Diddy with an attack. Shield beats every "normal" option Marth has in that situation. It's also the safest to use as a reaction since Marth's GT is so fast. Grab, spotdodge, retreating aerial, etc are all better options.

Seriously though, THROW THE ITEMS UP. It'll work out 500% better 90% of the time.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I just learned about spacing a week ago. I asked someone for advice after a few matches and he told me I didnt use any spacing. I used to play mostly based on reads, but now im going to start spacing my moves.
What is the spacing game like between Marth and Metaknight. What should both players try to do in that match up with spacing? This is the match up I play the most and I use both characters.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Spacing against MK is not getting punished for ascending into the air, and then using your aerial mobility + safety + the fear of not swinging until the last moment to win the game.

I like to land into dtilt if I'm not expecting a dash to shield.

Being good at spacing in general is realising how character's hurt boxes change around during their animations. More broadly, every character when they shield is gaining all this "hurtbox" space in front of them and actually spacing at the maximum range of so you hit the outer edge of their shields is a skill of its own. You'll never get shuttle looped if your fair is hitting their shield at it's furthest reaches. Tipper down tilt is not punishable when hitting the maximum range of their shield. This is especially important because power shield extends your shield's range even further than a regular shield does too.

Spacing is knowing that from one specific scenario, what the next few options of your opponent are and positioning yourself for maximum gain. This is edge guarding in a nut shell.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wow I never really though about that. Shields actually do increase the area where you can hit.
Yep.
The basic theory:
Hit their shield at maximum range
or hit their extending hurtboxes from movements at maximum range (like Marth's dash raising his head forward is a silly thing I abuse in the ditto, but walking keeps you mostly 90 degrees)
or whiff someone even further away than that which is basically not punishable by anyone

This is assuming both good horizontal and vertical spacing. People crouching under things while being on top of you isn't a good scenario. Really good dash to shields with all dat sliding (especially a power shield) is awkward positioning too [but that's why you should swing very very late !]

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And then Wario conditions you to hold your shield when pressured and procceeds to Bite for mixup and grab you from "hitting" the tip of your shield.
Watio is such a silly character...

Jmorsch

Smash Cadet
I was playing against a cpu and I up-b'd to the ledge and then like instantly did another dolphin slash after snapping to the ledge. Anyone know how I did that?

C.J.

Smash Master
Dolphin Slash Cancel

I'm sure there's a few threads on it here somewhere and I'm way too lazy to search for them or go into detail about it atm
But it happens sometimes, it's hard to control, it doesn't give you RCO, you get your second jump back, etc (assuming you don't buffer out the second DS like you did). You just gain your recovery over again.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me marth's best grab release combos? I know there's a probably lot of character specific set ups but I don't have a wii atm to try them out.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
Also are there any at's I NEED to learn with marth? I know this probably will sound corny but I don't really wanna check out guides and match videos, I think it'll corrupt my game if I watch matches while i'm still learning him. I know that sounds weird but all I need to know is if there are any game changing techniques I need to learn to play marth at a high level.

I'll appreciate any answer.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
I think playing marth is fun. And idk why smasher put 2d games on a pedestal. AE is ass and marvel is ****ing terrible, you guys should have some more respect for your game. But I do think brawl sucks too lol.

I don't think this will really go far but I am having fun learning from seibrik and esam down here, you have a lot more understanding and appreciation for a game when someone can answer all your questions and can give you good advice.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Don't lump me in either ;p I like SF x T the best out of the current Capcom fighters. Non-Capcomwise, KoF XIII is the best.

I'm just saying that this game at a higher level does not properly reward you for the effort and energy it takes to play Marth. On the other hand, Melee Marth has a much more appropriate risk/reward and energy input level and also has way more cool ****

But if you wanna play Brawl, be my guest =) you're a smart guy, and we all love seeing more successful Marth mains

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
Can someone please explain how to be a proactive player vs a reactive player?
I play my brother who plays a variety while I stick with Marth. I know all the patterns and can usually "know" what he will do in the situations. However, my problem is that I don't know how to handle the situation or how to counter it.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
If you know the situation, think about what would be the best option for it.
Then when you know it's coming, pick that option.

We can't tell you what to pick if we don't know the situation.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
mmm... so for example he'll approach with MK's Shuttle Loop. What do I do to counter?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Shield SL, then punish with an aerial/Usmash (maybe Fsmash?). Marth's OoS punishes on SL are godlike IMO.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
Thanks for the answers! ^^
One more: (Not really pertaining to Marth though so I hope it's O.K)
For Brawl WiFi, is there a way to speed up connection and minimize lag?

Marth's Dair has absolutely no SDI multiplier on it at all. So, you can SDI it.

However, there is a hitbox which spikes which does not have a freeze frame multiplier on it which would lengthen the hitlag window for you to SDI.

Also, there is really no SDI multiplier or freeze frame multiplier on Falco's Dair either. They should be the exact same for getting SDI.

SKID!

Smash Rookie
what is the best way to deal with nana's in the diddy matchup? I always seem to have an extremely difficult time when playing diddy b/c of the stupid bananas

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shield them.
They pop up above your head while you're in shield. Expect their forward air. If forward air isn't an option for them at the time, you can grab the nana yourself relatively easily (full hop retreating fair to grab it).

Look up CJ's diddy guide though.

HTM Virzi

Smash Rookie
Question: This prolly has been asked before but I'm too lazy to go through all the posts but how do you do an Fsmash right after a dash? I've seen people do it in combo videos and I've attempted it, but I just end up dash attacking.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Input a dash, and let go.
That's the initial dash.

Input two dashes.
Marth should look as he dashed twice.
On the second dash input, input an Fsmash.

Dash -> Fsmash.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Short answer Yes,
no longer, No.

Sometimes just holding away at the right times will get you out, especially if you're near the tipper ranges of it. If you're doing quarter circle movements away the moment you think you're going to get DB'd, I would say you'd get out at least 50% of the time against 95% of Marths.

Using the second hit as upwards nullifies this a lot unless you're "already out" from the first hit - which is pretty hard.

Top Bottom