• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well SS for Marth he goes backwards correct (Back+Smash) as a defensive move. Salmon Stepping is (Forward->Back JS+Smash CS), in which he steps forward. I believe any Dorf SS char's (Sonic atleast, but CF and Mario likely to) they take a Huge step and smash. Others like Marth more or less get the effects Sonic and them had just stutter stepping.

You can do a stutter step smash in either direction.

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
quick random question
(I tried searching for this, but its too common of wording so I was unable to easily find it)

I believe the term is "instant edge"
where you stand next to the ledge and quickly grab the edge by dashing or walking into it without a jump

can someone link me to how this technique is performed or briefly explain it?

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
quick random question
(I tried searching for this, but its too common of wording so I was unable to easily find it)

I believe the term is "instant edge"
where you stand next to the ledge and quickly grab the edge by dashing or walking into it without a jump

can someone link me to how this technique is performed or briefly explain it?
It is called hugging, or speed hugging. Basically what you do is you stand on the edge, and quickly walk off it, fastfall and hold towards the edge to grab it. Just quickly make a circle near the edge and you will probably grab onto it.

Btw the difference between hugging and speed hugging is that you don't fastfall off the edge to grab it, and you do FF with speed hugging. Just practice it in training mode for a few minutes, it's not hard, and it is extremely useful^^

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
How do you perform a stutter step anyways? I've heard the term numerous times, but I'm pretty sure I don't utilize it in my game.
If you press A right after you start a dash, you will cancel it into a Fsmash and make a little step. You can also Fsmash the opposite way you dash in by using the C-stick.

The concept is basically the same as Jump canceled Up-smashes, abusing the input window.

The stutter step isn't used too much in Marth's game, but practice it anyways because it is sometimes used for connecting a Fsmash after a throw. Fthrow or Dthrow to stutter step Fsmash usually works on the lighter characters on which a normal Fsmash wouldn't connect.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
I know this sounds wierd lol but would a SHFFDair have a diffrent hitbox as a SHFFFair? Wondering if it was possible to hit the top of somebody whose head was poking out from a slightly weakened shield? Or would using it in my approach game be to predictable considering statup lag?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I know this sounds wierd lol but would a SHFFDair have a diffrent hitbox as a SHFFFair? Wondering if it was possible to hit the top of somebody whose head was poking out from a slightly weakened shield? Or would using it in my approach game be to predictable considering statup lag?
It's likely that I use Dair onstage more than any other Marth. That being said, take it from me, do not use Dair to approach. If your objective is shield stabbing the top of any opponent's shield, try a Nair without FFing

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
Ok thank you master timmy
I'll try to remember those terms later on
And I'll b sure to look them up lol
Although I do understand SHFF now..I seen it and I can't almost do it

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
when someone is falling you can run at them to bait them landing into a shield allowing for a pviot grab, you can pivot grab if someone is dashing at you. sometimes you can actually fthrow run under and pivot grab onto the other side (i use this against olimars alot.) Most of the time though i use it as a defensive option.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
It's likely that I use Dair onstage more than any other Marth. That being said, take it from me, do not use Dair to approach. If your objective is shield stabbing the top of any opponent's shield, try a Nair without FFing
Okay, thank you much, and how often should I Use the Nair approach? I do it quite a bit just to punish perfectshielding, but should I lessen it and stick to fair? What about RAR Bair is that any good?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
^ Although if you FF just as the second slash comes out you can hit them with it, and seeing as it is a reasonably powerful move, it could set them up for a finisher or serve as the finisher. An alternative would be to FF during both slashes, locking with the first and hitting with the second. This would be more desirable in early stock as it locks better at lower percents and will do more damage while not hitting the opponent as far (since there is no tipper on the second hit).

1000th post in the Marth Boards

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Are there any videos of a good Marth spacing? I need to see how people do it, and especially with Marth. I'm learning Marth to improve my Spacing, but i first have to know how people do it. And should i use SHFFair often? What are the advantages of SHFFair instead of SH Double Fair. I kinda need to know these things :p

Thnx in advance :)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Are there any videos of a good Marth spacing? I need to see how people do it, and especially with Marth. I'm learning Marth to improve my Spacing, but i first have to know how people do it. And should i use SHFFair often? What are the advantages of SHFFair instead of SH Double Fair. I kinda need to know these things :p

Thnx in advance :)
I think you should watch a neo or pierced vid I think they are good at spacing. There's also a thread about marths zones made by steel2nd you should check out.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229253

I think there's a thread thought should explain the fairs and stuff.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218078

I hope that helps.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I've been wondering for a while. How do you guys get such accurate frame data? I know there's some hack or something where you can freeze it, but I don't really want to do that to get good frame data. XD Suggestions?

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Should i use Aerials with the C-Stick? Because when i SHFFFair with the A button i sometimes use a Dair instead of a Fair. How do you guys do it? I don't want to use the C-Stick, cause i have to get used to that first and that takes so long.

Dannykat

Smash Journeyman
Should i use Aerials with the C-Stick? Because when i SHFFFair with the A button i sometimes use a Dair instead of a Fair. How do you guys do it? I don't want to use the C-Stick, cause i have to get used to that first and that takes so long.
Easy for me since I use tap jump to jump + cstick lol.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Cstick is quite usefull for air attacks because you can fully control you character with the joystick, and you can do any attack with the Cstick. Air control is good, use the Cstick.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Cstick is quite usefull for air attacks because you can fully control you character with the joystick, and you can do any attack with the Cstick. Air control is good, use the Cstick.
So should i learn myself to use aerials with the C-Stick, so that i'll even do it on other characters? Wow, i need to relearn my playstyle i guess. It's gonna take some time before i get used to the C-Stick

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
It's almost impossible to use retreating Fairs without the C stick, and life is just a lot more complicated in general if you're trying to space without the C stick. Definitely get used to it.

Top Bottom