• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Voidwalker

Smash Rookie
how do you do that dash thing were you shield right after? there is always a delay bofore the shield when i do it.

Karamelli

Smash Rookie
Easiest way to spike is to turn your back to your opponent and hit with the tip of the sword at any point of the down air swing. Spiking people from the side is sometimes easier than spiking from bottom of the attack.
I find it much easier, and quicker, to attack face to face. The tip will hit at the beginning of the attack. Maybe it's just me...

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
no, its cus marth's intial dash is garbage and you have quite a few frames before u can do anything cept db

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You can do up-b as well i think, just as jump and grab of course.
Of course you can only do UpB if during initial dash frames if you have tap jump on (and you should) or if you press jump alongside UpB (easier if you assign it to the opposite shielding trigger from the one you prefer).

Kishin

Smash Ace
What is it called when you do a walk off B-reversal but instead of going off stage the reversed shield breaker momentum puts you back on the stage. Would this be useful? Is there a video of someone using this. How is it specifically done because I was experimenting a bit and came across this but I didn't know exactly how I did it.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
What is it called when you do a walk off B-reversal but instead of going off stage the reversed shield breaker momentum puts you back on the stage. Would this be useful? Is there a video of someone using this. How is it specifically done because I was experimenting a bit and came across this but I didn't know exactly how I did it.
I don't think it has a name, neither do i think it is useful. You can see it in hype's tech skill video. And btw just run of stage and b reversal.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
when's the best time to use counter, if any time at all
I generally would not use counter but to me the best time at all is:

When your opponent is spamming a move and is being way too predictable.

Or Falcon punch/Warlock punch.

Counter should also be used when Ike is trying to recover with aether.

Thats all i can think of right now. Other than those i would not use it at all. its expremly punishable.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Drop Down counter on DK is fun.

Just use it if your opponent is being very predictable. For example, if Snake is waiting for you at the ledge and you know he's gonna do something you can counter, do it. Don't spam Counter, though

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Can't you also counter most 3rd jumps?
i.e. Space animal up B's, ness/lucas, etc.

idk, not all that practical. But say you screw up the timing of your edgehog or something, you still have that option.

I've only tried it once or twice.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace

idk, not all that practical. But say you screw up the timing of your edgehog or something, you still have that option.

In melee it was much better because of non-auto sweetspot. It is still useful against some recoveries like MK's side-B, or ike's up-B, or some more but idk right now.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee

You 'can', but you usually have a better option to just fair them. Also note that if you counter the phantasm, you may not even hit the opponent with the counter cause of how fast it is.

PsytricSword

Smash Cadet
Don't use counter when you're falling (not free falling) near the ground (onstage) after being combo-ed. Most likey, they will expect you to counter/shield and grabe you. It's annoying...=/

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Don't use counter when you're falling (not free falling) near the ground (onstage) after being combo-ed. Most likey, they will expect you to counter/shield and grabe you. It's annoying...=/
I used to do that so much.
It usually doesn't hit them and it gives you so much lag.
Also, if you miss, the opponent scores another easy hit on you.

I believe you can ledge jump cancel a counter.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You shouldnt counter more then once a match (if that).

Its really a bad move and there are usually always better options.

DJMirror

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Dj9UiUgGE

Honestly...That kind of tech is useless and can only be use for mind games =/

How would you guys camp as marth? beside spacing Fairs and nair and Dtilt. I hate when i get Camped and stuff. Usually I just Stand on the Platform for them to stop shooting at me. what would you guys do?

BBoyindo

Smash Ace

How would you guys camp as marth? beside spacing Fairs and nair and Dtilt. I hate when i get Camped and stuff. Usually I just Stand on the Platform for them to stop shooting at me. what would you guys do?
Keep your opponent at tipper range, or a little bit further. You are in optimal range, while your opponent cant shoot and throw stuff anymore.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion

Pick a platform, hit someone, run back to the platform lolz. You could plank if you wanna call that camping, too. Walk away when people approach you and be fancy with stuff like turnaround dtilts. And don't ever smash, like ever XD

That's uber campy Marth 101

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Well technically, you could just learn to powershield and approach, but what PD said is basically a campy Marth X.x

Kishin

Smash Ace
Does a fully charged eat more shield than a non-charged shield breaker? Does angling your shield reduce the shield damage from shield breaker?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
You shouldnt counter more then once a match (if that).

Its really a bad move and there are usually always better options.
This depends ZMT. At a tourney I was playing a D3 and I ended up using it a lot. (I played 2 D3's and used it a lot against both of them, they could both just be predictable though.) It's helpful against his FF Bairs and his edgeguarding tactics. It's good vs. GnW too since he has so many telegraphed moves.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
This depends ZMT. At a tourney I was playing a D3 and I ended up using it a lot. (I played 2 D3's and used it a lot against both of them, they could both just be predictable though.) It's helpful against his FF Bairs and his edgeguarding tactics. It's good vs. GnW too since he has so many telegraphed moves.
This is true. I use this against my friend Will's DK a lot who loves to bair gimp me. Sometimes he baits the counter, though, and does it anyways :-/ Sparingly indeed

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
mmmkay, I didn't want to start a new thread with this flurry of questions... so:

My school is going to have a brawl tourney in the near future.
I need advice that can help me win.
I know the play style of most of the people that are guaranteed to be in it.
None of them play brawl competitively.

Here's the info I gathered on them, keep in mind that I'm only an okay Marth and that I've only played these people in stupid 2v2s or FFA's.

#1: Another Marth. The guy think's he's a great smasher because he rolls and counter spams and plays with items.
Okay, first off this guy doesn't know how to use Marth. I watched him fair and dtilt like only 2 times. He spams counter whenever he sees me approach with a fair and he uses mainly smashes when on the ground. He also rolls A LOT. Seriously, it was ridiculous. The guy is really predictable, but it'll take effort for me to beat his counter spam because my Marth's grab game sux. I might use MK against him because MM is a nono.

#2: A Zelda user. This guy is probably the most legit player out of the group. He's probably the only one that knows how to really play brawl. He can lightning kick and he stage spiked me once :(. He uses Zelda's sideB at long range, neutral B at close range, upsmash when I'm on top, dash attack/jab at medium ranges, and grabs at regular intervals. He's really weak to my fairs and dairs, however. I'm definitely using Marth against this guy.

#3: Spammy Pikachu. These are the only attacks he uses: neutral B projectile spam, down B lighting spam, side smash, down smash, roll. I'm not sure how exactly I'm gonna beat the guy. I'm not really in favor of perfect shielding his projectile spam, getting a few good hits on the guy while staying out of range of his smashes/lighting, and getting spammed at again. There's gotta be an easier method.

#4: Spammy Lucario, Pit. This isn't just one person, it's several. The Lucario I don't have too much problem with because he HAS to charge his projectile every time. Pit's sideB is annoying to get past/get hit with, but I think I can deal.

#5: A C.falcon, TL, Peach, G&W user. This is my brawl partner, I'm teaching him all the things I know. He's not perfect, but he's not horrible either. He doesn't spam :D. I think I can beat him without too much trouble.

#6: Various other players that haven't really caught my eye for being anything to worry about. >> if that made sense at all.

Any kind of advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Okay, other questions:
-How do you use Marth in team/ffa fights, .esp spam-filled ones?
-Does counter beat MK's infamous upB?
-How can I improve my Marth's grab game?

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Also, another question, can someone direct me to a link of a tier list of shields if there is one?
a tier list of shields?
what do you mean lol?

Edit: double post lalala>>

Does a fully charged eat more shield than a non-charged shield breaker? Does angling your shield reduce the shield damage from shield breaker?
A fully charged shield breaker won't break a full shield if the person shields right.
As for your actual questions, I'm not sure, but I would assume that a charged SB will eat a bit more shield.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Also, another question, can someone direct me to a link of a tier list of shields if there is one?
Yoshi
Fatties
Everyone else

lol

There isnt an official one

Ill answer you one sec Vitamin

#1: Just bait his inevitable counter. Noobs are usually too dense to change their habits. Also, call his rolls and either chase him with fair or use Dancing Blade when you call him on them

#2: Just swing your sword at his Din's Fire and then either bait the smash attacks/Narryu's love or space really well with dtilt and fair.

#3: Perfectshield IS your best option for Thunderjolt, but if you want you can jump over them or walk to Jab them. Call his rolls and note when he Thunders. The move has such lag. Run in and Dancing Blade. Also you can Tap DI/SDI out of his dsmash. Outspace him and call him on his laggy stuff/rolls and youll be fine

#4: Walk to Perfectshield projectiles, really it's the best way. Once you get in you should have no problem outspacing both characters so long as you keep aggressive.

#5 & 6: Read the matchup thread

-How do you use Marth in team/ffa fights, .esp spam-filled ones? I usually just Dancing Blade a lot in teams and fair people. walking up to people and fsmashing if they're attacking your partner is amazing, I've found. Easy tipper. FFAs you're on your own...lol.

-Does counter beat MK's infamous upB? It will beat the Glide attack but it's much better to Airdodge through the initial attack and either get under MK and uair or shield the Glide Attack into punish. Mind you, though, that MK can react immediately after his Glide Attack so you may want to bait the attack afterwords and then punish. I've eaten many a dsmash trying to get used to this >_< Dancing Blade is your best shield drop option btw

-How can I improve my Marth's grab game? Running shieldgrab, as in Run up to someone, throw your shield up out of your dash, and then grab. His running grab sucks. Also, just mix it up. SH at someone into FF grab. You really shouldn't try to fish for grabs, though. You can also play around in friendlies seeing what you can do out of a grab.

Top Bottom