• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
Is fthrow-->fthrow-->running up smash a true combo at 0? I've seen it used on Meta Knight, but only once.
Works on a few characters. There are usually better options though for stage positioning/forcing to the ledge/etc. It's arguably the best option vs MK though since MK can get off of the ledge/escape juggles *more* easily than most other characters.

you can always get better, you're marth, you still have everything to learn.
Pretty much this.

Upload matches and people will tell you what you're bad at.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
true combo on MK. frame tight
Yeah, I've seen Mikeneko do this multiple times and thought to myself.... "really?" Cool to know it's true.

Another question--I've tried this but don't know if it's true--FThrow (x3) -> USmash on D3? I know FThrow x3 then Tipper FSmash but does USmash work? If so, don't I want to be going for damage or is stage positioning (via FSmash) going to put me in a better situation for damage-racking?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
From C.J.'s DDD guide:
If you get a grab on DDD at 0%, you have fthrowx3-> dair (best choice if you're close enough to the ledge), fsmash (best choice for putting him offstage if you're not close enough to dair), and usmash (best choice is fsmash won't send him offstage or if you're really comfortable juggling DDD).
I find that you can usually get more damage from edgeguarding than from juggles.

C.J.

Smash Master
Yes it works.

If fsmash sends them offstage, use fsmash. If you're near the center of the stage after the 3rd fthrow, use usmash.

Fthrow(x1/2/3)-> dair is the best vs him though.

EDIT: Ninja'd... by my own guide.

That's pretty awesome.

<3 Foodies

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
wasn't kidding about stop playing, sometimes taking a break from this game does wonders.

go do something else, come
back in uh day or two with uh fresh mind and see if that it doesnt help

:phone:

Zion

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zion_Hikari0
SOrry if this is the wrong board to ask this but..

I went to my first offline tournament yesterday and I did horrible..
I was wondering of someone could upload a friendly set of me vs Korn or just let me send it to your wii becuase I have the recordings on my SD card. I Need help with what I did wrong.

He mains MK and is power ranked 10 in VA. Hes pretty good. And the funny thing is was he was sandbagging while playing me -_-

Please?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

I was wondering of someone could upload a friendly set of me vs Korn or just let me send it to your wii becuase I have the recordings on my SD card. I Need help with what I did wrong.

He mains MK and is power ranked 10 in VA. Hes pretty good. And the funny thing is was he was sandbagging while playing me -_-

Please?
This is slightly Marth related so it'll get a response.

1. If you need someone to critique your video (once someone hopefully records your replay) then post the vid links in a thread within the Critique subforum.

2. You can check up on the MK MU here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186736

*Cam*

Smash Lord

Please?
Here's a thread that will help you: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233863

/shameless advertising

/Pikachu:Marth not even at all, 55:45 Pikachu

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
What is Marths best move for when a character is very close to him? For example, falco would use jab, mk would use ftilt.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
unshield then reshield in an attempt to power shield than free forward air chain or dancing blade/usmash.

Repositioning yourself is also likely what you should be doing too, so walking away is pretty swell. Pivot grabbing is great as well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
good poke (walking away and throwing it out on movement), good combo starter (especially if you get it near the feat or the hit forces a tech). Fantastic at hitting enemy landings and because of this is exponentially potent in edge guarding (dtilt + nair pretty much covers everything from everyone [and if not, shield probably would]).

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Up b is fastest from close range. If you predict the opponent will jab or grab you then Up b will for sure beat it. If the opponent decides to use dodge tools though you'll get punished very very hard, although if you predict that then you can get a free grab or DB. Otherwise DB is our best attack at close range which is safer to use than Up b (and refreshes other moves faster. It also is better to stale DB than to stale Up b) and jab probably just as good if you're near the edge, because it can force them to the ledge, where Marth loves to put the opponent into.

Dtilt is a really good move. It has great range, very little lag and pretty safe on block (-7 frames on block with a move such good range is really safe when spaced well). It's 7 frames slow though so it's not really a GTFO move. But it's a solid move at mid range so it can work decently as a spacing tool.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Is jab a bad anti-aproach option?

I just love to jab with Marth :c I use it for Mixups, I find it quite easy to force opponents to do something while approaching and DS/DB after the jab...

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I don't think jab combos into anything until higher percents. At low percents it's possibly unsafe on hit. It's safer on hit if you tipper it. But yes it's OK as an anti-air option if you're on the ground. It's great for pressuring people into the ledge if close to the edge as I said before. A nice thing about jab is that it outranges a lot of MK's stuff in the air, including his Fair, so you can use it to pressure an MK trying to get back onstage by ledge hopping.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
What's the best way to handle the Oli MU? (Aggro, Defensive, etc.)

The AZ Scene literally has zero skilled Olimar mains and I need some pointers, it would be much appreciated.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
this matchup is a lot about understanding how olimar's line works. first you need a fundamental understanding of pikmin

yellow: broken disjoint, broken uair, broken priority, bad killpower and bad throws
red: *** for everything except fair
blue: great pikmin in general. usually used for throws
white: great for latch
purple: great for zoning disruption from long range, fatass hitbox, great for smashes

LONG RANGE: Watch his line.
If he throws a white immediately get rid of it.
If he throws a purple run away or block or dodge it, generally i like to block or jump over it. Just don't get hit by the purple - even letting him pull more is better than taking the pikmin because either way he'll pull more, just if you get hit by the pik you take an extra 8% and you're in knockdown.
If he throws a blue don't be TOO worried about getting it off but if you want to get it off, kill it rather than blocking. Why? Well...
If he throws a red you should actually just try to take the damage. It'll go back to him sooner or later and reds are ***. If you are really opposed to this then block please.
If he throws a yellow same thing as blue.

The gameplan for long range changes @ different percentages
Low%: Let him latch you to ~40%. Throw momentum by Olimar is gay and annoying
Mid%: Avoid getting latched by anything that isn't a red. This is where Olimar really wants to frustrate you.
High%: If the Olimar isn't stupid he won't latch anything important on to you, so use this opportunity to unstale your kill moves on his bad Pikmin. Once he notices this he will have to take risks with latching, and you can then assert your advantage more.

MID RANGE

So Olimar actually gives Marth some trouble here.
If Marth approaches and Olimar predicts, reverse stutter fsmash AAs Marth. Alternatively, pivot grab works too.
If Marth approaches and Olimar reacts NEAR THE BEGINNING OR IN THE MIDDLE, usmash OOS is plausible. The only way Olimar can beat Marth's approach at the end with a usmash OOS is if he gets a random PS.
If Marth doesn't approach then Olimar can just change to long range spacing fairly quickly by doing b-reverse Pik Toss.
Once Olimar gets one hit off what's frustrating is that he gets guaranteed latches or gets a knockdown read.

If Marth hits Olimar's block and mashes jab while the Olimar tries to punish his attack on shield w a grab, he buffers a grab break and then he's in there. The way Olimar beats this is usmash. Marth can spotdodge as opposed to jabbing but exposes himself to the risk of getting grabbed/other punishes (fair, yellow fsmash, etc.) If at any point Olimar hesitates with his block up then you get to grab (or dtilt/DB). This is what you are aiming for.

As a side note, outside of the approaching part of midrange Marth definitely wins, His DB, grab and dtilt are all broken and fair is also trouble for Olimar.

Back to the main point: this part is mostly just about tricking the Olimar with your jumps and timing in order to bait usmash/grab.
The important part here is NOT TO GET GREEDY!!!
Make sound approaches and reads based on his lineup. If he has a yellow he is more likely to go for usmash.
He will always try not to end up in this situation with a white or a red and will use pikmin toss beforehand (which means you get a free grab or DB/dtilt) - if he happens to end up in this position, then with a white he is likely to try to time a grab at lower percents and a usmash at higher percents; with a red he is more likely to try to usmash you at lower percents but can do either option at higher percents.
If he has a blue then he can do anything.
Purple he's likely to usmash you but if you're obvious + he has good reaction he'll just grab.

If at any point you feel uncomfortable vs Olimar in the mid range just DON'T COMMIT IN A WAY THAT WILL LEAD TO THE WORSE OUTCOME (between grab and usmash). Olimar is looking for that commitment to punish you. You should be OK with taking red/yellow grabs for commitment/white usmash, etc.

Like Kadaj said, once you get Olimar's shield with a few moves you can actually straight up DB and it will chip his block. After you have him expecting DB you can play cool tricks with grab or partial DBs if you're feeling really brave.

IN THE SHORT RANGE:

Don't box Olimar, lol
Marth's grab and DB work wonders here. Dtilt can't be punished by Olimar unless he PSes iirc...haven't tested this in a while.
Most of the time Olimar is looking to panic usmash here because he doesn't have anything else. If he isn't usmashing he's spotdodging or rolling to try to escape pressure. ABUSE THESE THINGS!!!!!

Not much else here. If your Marth is competent then once you have trapped Olimar here Olimar should always be put into a bad position afterwards with grab or DB, which leads us to...

ON JUGGLING:

Just watch Mikeneko.
Well, to be more specific: FF everything. FF uair is your friend as it covers a huge amount of horizontal/vertical range.

Once you've conditioned him to expect you to try to uair he will start whistling.

Fair him for it or grab him for it dependent on where he is. Sometimes you will get a cool bair off.

Overall Olimar is *** when it comes to being juggled. Don't be fooled by his b-reversal whistles! If you FF Uair you will be safe no matter what (provided you're doing it properly of course). This is where you play like a robot.

ON THE LEDGE TRAP:

Standard ledge trap works wonders here. The roll range is about 3 or 4 Olimars away from the ledge. His ledge attack is really bad. Pay attention to whether or not Olimar has a purple or not, as it's the only reliable option he has of getting you away from the ledge. If Olimar does that little uair thing just dtilt the pikmin if you can but don't get hit by it.

If Olimar throws something at you, just crouch and hit the Pikmin. This is a good sign that the Olimar is getting antsy. Remember that Olimar has a limited number of latches to the ledge - it's either 3 or 4.

If Olimar does a ledge jump, DO NOT JUMP AFTER HIM UNLESS YOU HAVE A READ. Stay grounded. FF Uair is your friend. You need to be landing before him if this scenario happens. If the platform is moving away from you like on Smashville then it is 100% better to let the situation reset rather than chase unless you have a read. Be safe.

If Olimar does a standard getup, then depending on his line stand at the optimal range (if you didn't read the getup, that is). He doesn't actually have any options but to jump (yay Olimar is above you), spotdodge (wait some more), roll (LOL), block (dash grab or dtilt), and wait (wait some more). Olimar sucks on the ledge!

ON BEING JUGGLED:

Landing with nair is problematic but beats usmash (sometimes). You don't actually beat grab this way usually unless Olimar does it really early. Don't nair.

Watch for yellow uair!

I don't have too much trouble with being juggled but what Olimar is looking to trick you into doing is a bad fair or nair so he can get another usmash or grab. Being juggled is mostly about reactionary play and just taking certain latches/taking certain punishments in favor of being on the ground. Don't worry about hitting Olimar on landing, just focus on reacting to his movement/actions in order to get your two feet on the floor.

ON BEING LEDGE TRAPPED:

Dude this sucks. Olimar's fsmash is really gay and NEO-style planking is not 100% effective. RCO lag only exacerabtes the problem.

What you want to do is just try to react to Olimar's fsmash and the pikmin pull and strike where there's a difficulty in timing. That's the aggressive method. The less aggressive method is to just do a ledge jump and escape but this isn't exactly the best strategy on every stage + if Olimar reads it he gets a free fair and then you're ****ed.

Like every other matchup when you're on the ledge, just be patient. Olimar is very short so Nair isn't really the best unless you are aiming to double hit and prevent shieldgrabbing. Watch his line, as usual, and accept certain punishments in favor of getting back onstage.

ON STAGES:

Assuming Unity, banning PS1 or CS is a good idea. It's all about preference. I actually like FD a lot vs Olimar as you get to run away vs pikmin and work your juggle/ledge traps really well. It's a double edged sword though, as you don't get platforms to help you be tricky on the approach. BF is the best neutral vs Olimar, and SV and FD are tied.

Yoshi's and Lylat are better/worse for Olimar depending on the style that the Olimar plays. As for Marth these stages offer different advantages/disadvantages for him. Lylat allows you to pressure Olimar harder when it comes to making him choose between stage and damage but the tilting messes with your spacing hardcore (plus he gets more yellows). On Yoshi's the stage is smaller and the height of the platform allows for some cool **** with Marth but the slants are not that great and Olimar's traps are strengthened on this stage.

Delfino/Halberd are fairly unique but I don't get to play on them often as Marth vs Olimar for some reason. I don't think the strategy should really change on either stage that much but remember that Olimar gets some great pull rates on Delfino sometimes and you just have to camp it out if he has the great lineup.

Brinstar/Cruise, lol Marth *****. Just do Marth things on those stages. Don't underestimate Olimar's tricks on Cruise tho

If there's one thing I would stress about this matchup, beyond anything else, it's watch his line. Watching his line will get you farther than anything other piece of information in this matchup, as it's where Olimar is the MOST different from other characters imo.
:phone:

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Wow, that is a lot of very extensive and thoughtful advice/tips, I certainly wasn't expecting such impressive knowledge on the MU, or at the very least not in such a quick reply.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely soak in as much of it as I can. Oh and nice to meet the Marth Boards, I always had a pocket Marth but now I'm letting him shine so I'll be around to contribute to the conversations/discussions when needed.

Zion

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zion_Hikari0
So i played a G&W the other day and...
all he did was space me with turtle and grab at close range.. any advice on how to deal with the turtle??

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
if you get hit by it you can SDI out of it. or if you sheild it just Up B. GnW shouldn't be close enough to grab you if you're spacing correctly, but even if he does, I believe you can tech it and he can't punish you since you roll too far away.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you use Marths side B in lag? I can do it easily offline but if there is any lag, it doesn't work so I have to play as Marth with out using his side b at all.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
You don't.

Though if the connection is smooth, it's possible to adjust to the lag.

reslived

Smash Apprentice
so... snake can reverse his aerial momentum by pulling the pin from a grenade. i always assumed this was a neutral-b wavebounce. I see some Marth mains do this reversal of aerial momentum with side-b. ive tried looking this up on the forums but i keep finding silly b-sticking tutorials.

I know how to wavebounce with down-b. is it the same for side-b?

EDIT: seems I have another question...

I been working on Platform canceling (PC). One thing I can't figure out is PC -> instant reverse dash (ie dashing in the direction opposite you were facing when you jumped). All the PC guides I've read don't say anything about it. Does anyone know how to quickly reverse direction after PC?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
To wavebounce with side b, you just press b + control stick to the direction you're facing, and then IMMEDIATELY after smash the control stick into the other direction. It's not only good for anti-juggling, but it can also allow you to side b into the opposite direction after the initial dash, something you without wavebouncing only can do during the initial dash. For some reason, DB1 seems to have less range when wavebounced though.

In order to PC into instant dash, hold diagonally down into the direction you're facing and then slightly afterwards smash the control stick into the direction you want to dash. It's not too easy, it takes some practice to master.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I need help knowing how to play these match ups.

Snake, IC's, Toon Link, and DK.
I've always enjoyed the Toon Link and Snake match-ups for Marth.

I'm not too proficient on IC's and DK, but if I have some spare time I'll sum up my opinion on the Toon Link MU tomorrow.

Top Bottom