• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

rpotts

Smash Lord
The 5 numbers listed horizontally seem to correspond with the staleness of the attack, as it goes from fully fresh to stale, to more stale and back up. The farther right you go the more stale the move is.
Weak hits are listed as separate attacks below their respective move, if one exists.

Please correct me if I'm wrong @ bloodpeach bloodpeach , I'm just going off my interpretation of your data.

Shears

Smash Master
I thought of posting this in character specific discussion but it pertains to two characters and thinking more about it, the question is more of a game mechanics question than a character one. Playing M2K this past weekend was incredibly exhausting and his campiness was on full force. It was painful to have to countercamp him. The biggest thing with his camping is his excessive, but perfectly timed and spaced, utilts with Kirby. I was trying to think of ways to approach that and counter that play style. Does anyone know what can be done to beat that with Pikachu? I tried using neutral B and he would just jump over it with a perfect bair, z-cancel, and then utilt like nothing ever happened. I was able to bait him into an utilt a few times and grab him which seemed to outrange the utilt but by only a few pixels. Is that true, does Pika's grab outrange Kirbys utilt? I was able to land several Pika bairs on him, does the bair outrange utilt or was I just getting lucky? Finally, I know Pika's fsmash will outrange the utilt, but will it just clank or is clanking more than simply two ground moves hitting at the same time? The latter is why I asked the question here and not in he character specific threads. So basically:

What is the best way for Pika to approach a campy Kirby?
Does Pika's grab outrange Kirby's utilt?
Does Pika's bair outrange Kirby's utilt?
What exactly causes clanking and will Pika's fsmash clank with Kirby's utilt?

I know this wouldn't be too much to test, however; I have no way of testing it because I only have 2 hands, not 4, and I have no one to lend me a pair of hands until this weekend. This information, and making less mistakes, will help in defeating the Kirby>Pikachu argument. Thanks guys.

Sedda

Smash Champion
sorry to ask this question that's been asked a million times. can soemone help me with the nrage settings? i bought a new laptop and forgot what they were

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
I thought of posting this in character specific discussion but it pertains to two characters and thinking more about it, the question is more of a game mechanics question than a character one. Playing M2K this past weekend was incredibly exhausting and his campiness was on full force. It was painful to have to countercamp him. The biggest thing with his camping is his excessive, but perfectly timed and spaced, utilts with Kirby. I was trying to think of ways to approach that and counter that play style. Does anyone know what can be done to beat that with Pikachu? I tried using neutral B and he would just jump over it with a perfect bair, z-cancel, and then utilt like nothing ever happened. I was able to bait him into an utilt a few times and grab him which seemed to outrange the utilt but by only a few pixels. Is that true, does Pika's grab outrange Kirbys utilt? I was able to land several Pika bairs on him, does the bair outrange utilt or was I just getting lucky? Finally, I know Pika's fsmash will outrange the utilt, but will it just clank or is clanking more than simply two ground moves hitting at the same time? The latter is why I asked the question here and not in he character specific threads. So basically:

I know this wouldn't be too much to test, however; I have no way of testing it because I only have 2 hands, not 4, and I have no one to lend me a pair of hands until this weekend. This information, and making less mistakes, will help in defeating the Kirby>Pikachu argument. Thanks guys.
I don't play either character (high tiers are for noobs) but I can make some unsubstantiated guesses:

I think Pika fsmash clanks with Kirby uptilt (if by clank you mean they sorta parry each other). I don't think air attacks and ground attacks can clank (the physics would be awkward).

Pika backair won't outrange the back of Kirby uptilt.

Based on my limited experience approach Kirbycampers involves some luck and deceiving. Try to trick Kirby into uptilting while he's facing you, then shove your Pika paw (backair) down that pink glob of ******ry's throat. If you watch vids of Sensei he'll use F-smash a lot and then go in for a strike.

Another tip, don't waste your time playing M2Kamp. Playing him sounds about as fun as going to the dentist (barring any possible dr00gs).

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
it depends pretty heavily on the timing of kirby's utilt. On some frames it's borderline invincible, while on others it can be beaten by quite a few moves.

http://gif-explode.com/?explode=http://i.minus.com/i617NrL025mdn.gif
(due to stupid compression ****, these arent actually in-game frames. dont take this too literally.)
Frame 1-3: Kirby prepares his foot. completely vulnerable.
Frame 4: See how kirby's little foot is sticking out directly horizontal? You can hit that with a bair if your spacing is immaculate. or you could try uair which is somewhat easier.
Frame 5: The foot's power is unleashed. Flee. (uair might work actually, with perfect spacing)
Frames 6-10: Kirby has raised his foot to the heavens, leaving his back exposed. attack with uair bair nair grab jab ftilt dtilt... pretty much any move with moderately disjointed horizontal range will win.
Frame 11: kirby's foot returns to earth. be careful.
Frame 12-16: kirby's foot is resting. completely vulnerable.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I didn't have a choice on playing him. It was in tournament so I had to. Thanks @ bloodpeach bloodpeach this is perfect. Against M2K, frames 1-3 are just teasing you to get hit by frames 4-6, he is too fast. But seeing 6-10 and 12-16, I'm no longer impressed with utilt, more than half the moves frames are beatable. I'm going to mm him next time and win my money back from that utilting crook.

The Star King

Smash Hero

Up air him, it beats Kirby utilt if spaced well.

Sangoku

Smash Master
sorry to ask this question that's been asked a million times. can soemone help me with the nrage settings? i bought a new laptop and forgot what they were
Not sure I understand your question. What do you need help with? Use NRage, uncheck raw data, choose your controller, choose the keys, choose range and deadzone.

Sedda

Smash Champion
just realized how general the question was. stuff like deadzone, threshold etc. feels super weird when i play now

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Sedda, don't you have a savefile for your input configuration? Or was that gone too? I have a backup for this stuff online so if my computer explodes I still can download everything just like I have it now.

Shears

Smash Master
Sedda, don't you have a savefile for your input configuration? Or was that gone too? I have a backup for this stuff online so if my computer explodes I still can download everything just like I have it now.

How does Kero upload all these animal pictures without showing the uploaded file description at the bottom?

Attachments

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
ur meme dont make no sense

if i ruled the internet i'd ban all these memes first thing after breakfast

Shears

Smash Master
The meme makes perfect sense. You said if your computer exploded you would still have your configurations to play smash online saved so you can just download it and get back to playing. The joke is that backing up your PJ64K settings was a priority over backing up other documents, such as a semester long project or paper, since you never explicitly said you back up all your files only your emulator settings. You may actually back up everything, but since you only stated you backed up your configuration files, the joke is to take it literally and assume you don't back up anything else. Then it makes it seem like a success because your concern of having your files backed up was more significant than the fact that your $1000 computer just exploded, as if your controller configuration file was more important than a $1000 computer. The comedic themes here are exaggeration, assumption, and mis-prioritization layed out on a common and recognizable social media graphic typically used to make jokes.

It seems like nobody ever gets sarcasm or any simple joke outside of obvious puns. Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought comedy was a thing on planet Earth and that humans could interpret it and identify it fairly easy. No wonder people are always DDOSing the smash community...

Sangoku

Smash Master
"I don't understand your joke" is a polite way to tell you your joke is **** and not funny at all.

And Sedda, do you know what these variables do? If not, refer to this thread, section 2. If yes, it shouldn't be too hard to set it up. What adapter/controller are you using?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Hi again.

Sometimes when I go straight up using Fox's recovery, he turns around and faces away from the ledge.

It happens like 30% of the time.

Is there a way to tell when this is going to happen? Am I possibly not going totally straight up and am just not realizing it?

I think it happens more on the left side than the right, if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i would say they are the same, but that's just being a technical *** about it

probably R because r=z+a on the same frame I THINK

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah I know what they do. It's just feeling stiffer than usual after reinstalling and stuff. thanks guys

M!nt

Smash Champion
If you didn't calibrate with that windows thing, It works a lot better after that.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
1)How do you shield drop from a platform?
2)Aside from L-canceling and dash dancing is there anything else i should learn?
3)Do you do an uspsmash out of shield by Shield->jump->cancel jump animation quickly with A?
4) can u jump cancel grab in this game?
5) what are the main differences between SSB 64 and the japanese version?

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
1) hold Z and press down, optionally from running
2) short hops, pivots and any character-specific tech
3) yes
4) no, and even if you could why not just grab (ok i guess you have 2 frames of invincibility but come on)
5) see the index, mainones are significantly less DI, some characters having a dash boost, link and ness being much better (both mid-tier or so probably), kirby having damage buffs, jiggs rest being weaker, mario bros up-bs going a tad higher, fox lasers + mario bros fireballs being a bit different, fox d-smash being AWESOME and i think that's mostly it (oh and gdlk sound effects)

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just to add a few precision to what aa said:
2) You can check this file to see a list of advanced techniques.
3) Exactly, and that's done (more commonly) with a stick jump. So the input isn't too different from a regular upsmash, it's just that you have to delay a little the a button after the joystick, same goes for running upsmash.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
1) hold Z and press down, optionally from running
2) short hops, pivots and any character-specific tech
3) yes
4) no, and even if you could why not just grab (ok i guess you have 2 frames of invincibility but come on)
5) see the index, mainones are significantly less DI, some characters having a dash boost, link and ness being much better (both mid-tier or so probably), kirby having damage buffs, jiggs rest being weaker, mario bros up-bs going a tad higher, fox lasers + mario bros fireballs being a bit different, fox d-smash being AWESOME and i think that's mostly it (oh and gdlk sound effects)
thank you, sorry should have checked the index first

Just to add a few precision to what aa said:
2) You can check this file to see a list of advanced techniques.
3) Exactly, and that's done (more commonly) with a stick jump. So the input isn't too different from a regular upsmash, it's just that you have to delay a little the a button after the joystick, same goes for running upsmash.
thanks

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
If I'm standing on the ground and get hit by a spike like say dk's dair, does DIing up or down affect my height on the bounce?

Sangoku

Smash Master
You bounce right away (first frame of getting hit) and hitlag starts at this moment. So since you're frozen on the lowest part of the bounce, you can't DI down (as rpotts said). You can however DI in every other directions.

LukeTheDuke

Smash Rookie
so how do you toggle between a shield and light shield? what affectiveness does lightshield have? why don't people use the lightshield more often? i just grab and then hold with the z-button. is there another way? thanks!

rpotts

Smash Lord
There is no light shield in 64, like there is in melee, so therefore it has no effectiveness and people don't use it more since it doesn't exist. Grabbing with R and holding it will cause the shield to pop up after the grab is over, but it is no different than simply holding Z.

Shears

Smash Master
I just downloaded skype and I'm still not entirely sure how to use it, but I figure I might as well join the 64 skype group. How does that work and how do I do it?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Can anyone tell me about the history of competitive smash64?
How did it get started? Who were the first players? What was the first tourney? ect.

Scrw Vwls

Smash Rookie
I keep getting graphics errors with the all-in-one package I downloaded from the floated topic. Like, fox lasers, fireballs, samus pb, etc all get stuck on the screen and their hitboxes stay in place as well. Should I be using a plugin other than the default (Jabo's 3D8)?

Top Bottom