• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
so according to http://www.slashdocs.com/imqsk/ssbtaated6.html
scroll down to advanced falling section
says normal lag from non z cancelled aerial is 4
fastfall lag from non z cancelled aerial is 8
You're misreading that. those numbers are the lags for landing without any aerial at all or with a z cancelled aerial. The lag for missing a Z cancel is way higher than 8 frames.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
There is a different height short hop for every single walking speed (or for every single distance the joystick can be held horizontally). A running short hop is just a full walk speed short hop and therefore have the same height. The slower the walk speed, the slightly higher the short hop is.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
what mariguas did is exactly what foxes do when going from hyrule's left side to center, or from peach's moving plat to center: a stationary sh and then move forward.

pretty sure isai spams that stuff in between stocks every now and then.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I've just realized what you're trying to do by calling Kero a weeaboo all the time... ashamed of the humongous weeaboo reputation you always had here, you wish for Kero to hold the "biggest weeaboo" title to divert the attention from yourself. Nice try BUDDY.
entry level deduction, chap

im pretty sure everyone who's anyone knows im the biggest weeaboo here hue

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
with regard to stale moves, does it count if you land on shield?

example: i want samus bair to be strong, so i have to use 4 moves to get it back to its original freshness, right? if i land those 4 moves on a shield, will bair have returned to its freshness?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
moves can't get stale from hitting a shield. that means nothing is returning to its freshness either.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i was almost certain if you do the same move on shield it makes it stale...i think i asked that somewhere else and someone said yes GODDAMMIT now my shieldbreak ideas are crumbling around me

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'd imagine it's simpler since the shield doesn't matter.

also, samus bair is fresh with only 3 hits in practical terms. Toomai said that in the staleness thread and my test confirmed it.
this bair will kill kirby at starting at 73% both when fresh and when one level behind fresh

something people might not know: as far as I can tell, knockback-wise it doesn't matter how close you are to the opponent when you hit him. so that samus bair will never kill at 72%, even if samus is right next to kirby

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
what is crouch pivoting, I don't see it
From the Advanced Techs Guide:

Crouch Pivoting
From Ant-d: “During a normal dash it is possible to turn around without lag by pressing down first, then the direction you're turning to.
Yeah I found this by 'accident' when making my Ness video. I wanted to immediately turn but I couldn't, so I guessed that maybe holding (really, tapping) down for 1 or 2 frames then turning would work. And it did. I tried to do a smash attack other than usmash and I don't think it worked. I'll test it now.

Edit: You can't smash. You can jab though, but that's it. I should add that the timing seems to randomly change from pressing down for 1-2 frames. I think this would be very, very hard to pull off normally. Holding down when dashing really does help you to stop. That is if you want to stop and perform an attack.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
oh, that.

doesn't work to me. never has. his description is a bit lazy as well, so I get lazy too.

The Star King

Smash Hero
tbh it sounds like bull**** to me because pressing down during a dash/run doesn't do anything in the first place

What Ness video is he talking about?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
That's interesting, I didn't know that.

What would happen if person A is grabbing person B and then person C tries to Falcon up B, Kirby neutral B, or Yoshi neutral B them?

chrome12345

Smash Cadet
I play fox and my friend plays captain falcon, and for my skill level it is definitely my toughest match up. What my friend does a lot is dash dance and spam grab. Since falcon's grab is so quick, I can't seem to approach it. I get grabbed and then combo'd off the stage. Could someone please give me some advice for fox on how to counter someone who is spamming grab with falcon? I would really appreciate the help.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
A mindless falcon that only grabs is really easy to counter with fox.

Short hop laser all ****ing day.

And if he approaches you just short hop up air and combo him.

Once you start up airing him a lot he'll just start approaching with up smash so i can't imagine the up air working very long.

But short hop laser will work forever against a ground falcon.

Eventually he'll probably start camping the top platform and approaching with fast fall arials.

That's when falcon becomes really dumb and unenjoyable to play against.

Not that falcon is ever fun to play against lol, he's the dumbest character in this game.

Yeah i don't know why i responded with an actual post.

Totally not my style.

Yeah so just short hop laser. Double laser is good too but it's easier for falcon to get in and grab.

Cashbah

rpotts

Smash Lord
Don't approach him when he's dash dancing, at least not where he is at the time. He's just going to dash away and then DD grab you like you're describing. That's what he wants. Instead you can try using a lot of lasers and SHDLs to try and lock him down in one place before approaching, but be careful as if you're a bit too slow he'll be able to upsmash and combo you in the same way you're trying so desperately to avoid.

Attack where he's going to be, not where he is. If he always DDs away just run farther through him and uair or fair where you predict he'll be.

Also, don't shield very much as obviously he'll just come in and grab you.

Got any videos to post for critique?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah a video might be helpful for us to know what your level is. Do you know what short hop low laser and short hop double lasers are? As explained by the others, that's probably your best option against a grounded Falcon, but that needs a little bit of training (again, no idea of your level).

chrome12345

Smash Cadet
Thanks Guys! I think all that advice will be a bunch of help. No video necessary; I'm just a P:M/Melee player who understands about z canceling and how to edgeguard. I don't play this game anywhere near a serious competitive level. But still, I don't want to get grabbed on DL and then dunked off the stage lolz.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Not that falcon is ever fun to play against lol, he's the dumbest character in this game.
Hey! I love playing against falcons! >:C

Sorry for double post thought this was a different thread lol

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if we're playing hyrule banned then the viability of a lot of low tiers (ie. some of jiggs's meh matchups like samus and link on hyrule) goes down

so i could see her being better than mario in a DL tier list, if only because the low tier matchups matter a lot less

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Wow! Great stuff, thanks!

Why are there 5 different percents associated with each attack? Does it have anything to do with staleness or weak hits or something?

Top Bottom