• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good guys. I guess I need to work on my timing. Thanks for helping out.

Will shine cancel > jab > shine cancel > jab > repeat ever break a shield?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Will shine cancel > jab > shine cancel > jab > repeat ever break a shield?

don't trust people who say "jab on shield is safe" and "shine-cancel into anything"

u gonna get grabbed (sooner or later)

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

don't trust people who say "jab on shield is safe" and "shine-cancel into anything"

u gonna get grabbed (sooner or later)
That's funny because every single time I do it succesfully (for shield pressure, not shield breaking) I never get grabbed nor falcon upsmashed. I'm pretty mediocre though so don't listen to me.

Last edited:

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
The opponents shield stun ends 7 (i think. its been a while) frames or so before foxes jab animation. Single jabs can never be used in a shield breaker combo.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Gotchya, just a few more things lol. How many frames does it take to put a shield up? How many frames of invincibility to you get when you jump out of shield?

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
I see. Pikachu has one of the fastest jump animations, right? So he "leaves" the ground faster than most characters do, correct?

Does that mean that the 2 frames of invincibility a character has when they jumps out of shield always occurs before the character even gets in the air?

Is there anywhere I can find out how many frames it takes each character to get in the air after they start their jump animation?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I see. Pikachu has one of the fastest jump animations, right? So he "leaves" the ground faster than most characters do, correct?

Does that mean that the 2 frames of invincibility a character has when they jumps out of shield always occurs before the character even gets in the air?
yes to both questions.

Is there anywhere I can find out how many frames it takes each character to get in the air after they start their jump animation?
ssbwiki might not be a reliable source, but this is correct: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Jumping#Super_Smash_Bros.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so let me make sure I'm understanding all of this.

Let's look at Fox. His jump animation is 3 frames. So on frame 4 he get's in the air, right? Let's say I shine, which I'm pretty sure his one frame. That puts me at 5 frames. Only one action can be done per frame, right? Does that mean that it takes a another frame for fox to land on the ground, meaning that a frame perfect shine cancel is 6 frames?

That doesn't sound right.. Help me guys. Sorry I'm such a n00b. :(

mixa

Banned via Warnings
edit: cobr posted the same gif, nice.
[collapse=shine-cancel]
[/collapse]

i realize that gif may be confusing. so see if this helps:

frame count: action

-1: input jump
0: frame delay
1: jump animation 1/3
2: jump animation 2/3
3: jump animation 3/3
4: fox is airborne

so in order to shine-cancel, you must input the shine at frame 2. http://puu.sh/6JdGl.png

don't be sorry, you gotta a pretty good grasp of the game already, it took me long time to get used to frames and stuff. and as you can probably see, most stuff has been done already, so if you have a question, it most likely won't need any investigating, we could just provide answers. they are spread around the forums as well

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys.

So there's a 1 frame delay between any controller input and the actual start animation for an action? That's insane. I had no idea.

I'm also surprised with the fact that there are 2 frames of ending lag on the shine even after it is "cancelled." Is there any landing lag when a character lands from a jump?

Last edited:

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
yes there is landing lag for all jumps. it is increased by fast falling as well. I dont remember the values off hand though, but i thunk its ~2 for regualr landing and ~4 for fast fall landing. might vary between chars too, i dont remember.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm also surprised with the fact that there are 2 frames of ending lag on the shine even after it is "cancelled." Is there any landing lag when a character lands from a jump?
3.2.5 Landing -- Ctrl + F '3.2.5'

shine-cancel has 4 frames of ending lag. you must consider the input frame plus the delay frame. if you look closely at that frame breakdown, you'll notice an action can only start to happen after 4 frames. which is why a shine-cancel can be done each 8 frames: frames 1, 2, 3: jump animation. frame 4: shine-cancel. frames 5, 6, 7, 8: ending lag.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Woah there's all types of good stuff in that thread you linked me to!

I'm good on the questions for now, but I'm gonna read up on that thread and probably come back with a million more. :p

Thanks so much guys, you're all impressively informative and really helpful lol. Smashboards is awesome. :grin:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I linked that thread after your first question wahh :cry:

ideally people would just go to the dirk king guide and that should do it

Annex

Smash Ace
yes there is landing lag for all jumps. it is increased by fast falling as well. I dont remember the values off hand though, but i thunk its ~2 for regualr landing and ~4 for fast fall landing. might vary between chars too, i dont remember.
I believe you can z-cancel fastfall landing lag too.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Lol you guys are ****ing lame. Only n00bs waste their time reading that crazy ****. I've been on smashboards for nearly two and half years and have never read the dirk thread or the mod's thread. Bangoku's lame ass technical thread is merely a way for him to corrupt the weak. As far as the dirk thread goes, aa is nothing but a ***** ass aussie punk and nothing he says can be taken seriously.

Smash isn't about numbers and formulas. It's more than some nerdy frame data ****. It's art.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
is naruto a super sayan 3 by now? what's with the big hair

oh, and i read the dirk king guide back in the day when i first registered. pretty good

btw kero tell me more about naruto

maton1200

Smash Rookie
I have a question I've decided to post here before opening up a new thread.

Since there is no way to get brand new official N64 controller's sticks, which ones are the best N64 counterfeit replacement sticks to play SSB64, and where can I buy them? ebay seems full of low quality sticks.

I want to try these ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Controll...US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item58aa933b99

But the seller may be lying about the overall quality and feeling.

I don't want to ruin my OEM controller, so I want to practice with counterfeit sticks.
Guys pls, help, I don't know what to buy and stick discussion threads are quite old and therefore outdated.

M!nt

Smash Champion
If you still don't get an answer you should message SheerMadness or KnitePhox they're pretty knowledgeable about that stuff.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
smash index is ****ing impossible to navigate since hurr durr forum switch and im ****ing lazy

also kero is the biggest weeaboo

Lol you guys are ****ing lame. Only n00bs waste their time reading that crazy ****.
yeh because you dont know how to use mediafire, which then leads me to believe you also dont know what a zip file is, which makes a lot of things in the index useless lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
Kero I understand if you don't want to read these threads and you have the right to hate them, but don't advise others not to read them, because they do contain a lot of info (which might seem useless to you, but interesting to others).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i was helping a friend with his summer school research on diabetes and decided to refresh my own memory on the pathophys, and i also play a lot of card games

i guess i am a weirdo

still better than queero

M!nt

Smash Champion
I linked that thread after your first question wahh :cry:

ideally people would just go to the dirk king guide and that should do it
Why do you reply to post's so weird, like whenever you quote something it doesn't say who said it and then like now you just copy and pasted?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I believe you can z-cancel fastfall landing lag too.
Nope.

also kero is the biggest weeaboo
I've just realized what you're trying to do by calling Kero a weeaboo all the time... ashamed of the humongous weeaboo reputation you always had here, you wish for Kero to hold the "biggest weeaboo" title to divert the attention from yourself. Nice try BUDDY.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Kero I understand if you don't want to read these threads and you have the right to hate them, but don't advise others not to read them, because they do contain a lot of info (which might seem useless to you, but interesting to others).
We both know that there's not a soul on this website that actually takes me seriously.

You may be an evil tyrant that can lock my threads and edit my posts, but you can't take away my ability to have fun!

I'm Kero the mother****ing Great. Your wishes mean nothing to me. I will post what I want when I want until the day i get banned from smashboards die!

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
so according to http://www.slashdocs.com/imqsk/ssbtaated6.html
scroll down to advanced falling section
says normal lag from non z cancelled aerial is 4
fastfall lag from non z cancelled aerial is 8

also someone tell me wtf is going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fp3SUG2Mp2g#t=109
i tried it out on console. regular sh didn't work, regular fh didn't work

i then tried it with stick jump sh and the fair seemed to land correctly 1 of the 20 times i tried (mainly because i can't short hop with the joystick cuz noob)
did he really stick jump sh fair to land from side plat to top plat on DL?

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
told wotg to try it out
he said he got it with regular sh 3 times
maybe it's this lack of sleep i have going on right now
ill try it out when i wake up

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
also someone tell me wtf is going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fp3SUG2Mp2g#t=109
i tried it out on console. regular sh didn't work, regular fh didn't work

i then tried it with stick jump sh and the fair seemed to land correctly 1 of the 20 times i tried (mainly because i can't short hop with the joystick cuz noob)
did he really stick jump sh fair to land from side plat to top plat on DL?

you can see mariguas walking to the edge of the platform before jumping.

i tried it. it is possible. make a c-button sh without any direction input (left or right) until the 3rd frame of his jump i think?.then your falcon will jump high enough to land on the top platform

Top Bottom