• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

M!nt

Smash Champion
hmm i've never had that before i'm using jabo 3D8 1.6. The download from the index is a mess.

kys

Smash Ace
So I had a question/thought about ping. I'm not a computer guy by any means, so if this is stupid please let me know.

I, and others, like to try logging back into the server when our ping is higher than normal and results in us getting say, 4 frames, instead of the usual 3.

In any other online games I've played - which has been limited - ping is something that fluctuates constantly. It's not uncommon to see ping spikes of 30-50 ms.

Why do we all assume the ping we log in with on kaillera stays the same the entire time? We all know ping has a direct effect on input delay, so if our ping does fluctuate, won't our frames fluctuate as well? Also, are we really getting 3 frames when it says 3 frames, or is it something more specific like 3.48 frames?

The whole point of asking this is that it would save me and others some headache. If I know my ping (and thus my frame delay) is fluid and changing, then I won't bother wasting my time trying to get the lowest ping possible.

One last little tangent: If this is true, how does ping spoofing work?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
So I had a question/thought about ping. I'm not a computer guy by any means, so if this is stupid please let me know.

I, and others, like to try logging back into the server when our ping is higher than normal and results in us getting say, 4 frames, instead of the usual 3.

In any other online games I've played - which has been limited - ping is something that fluctuates constantly. It's not uncommon to see ping spikes of 30-50 ms.

Why do we all assume the ping we log in with on kaillera stays the same the entire time? We all know ping has a direct effect on input delay, so if our ping does fluctuate, won't our frames fluctuate as well? Also, are we really getting 3 frames when it says 3 frames, or is it something more specific like 3.48 frames?

The whole point of asking this is that it would save me and others some headache. If I know my ping (and thus my frame delay) is fluid and changing, then I won't bother wasting my time trying to get the lowest ping possible.

One last little tangent: If this is true, how does ping spoofing work?
even tho your ping fluctuates, your frame delay is set as soon as you log onto the server. meaning if your ping starts to raise in the middle of the match you will get lag spikes which is caused by the fact that your computer can no longer keep up with the frame delay it is set to. in other words it will not adapt and reduce to 4 or 5 frames if your ping spikes and continue to try to display at 3 frames and you will lag as a result.

this is why the ping spoof option exists in the first place, otherwise it would have no real value. if you are right on the border of 3 and 4 frames or around 49 ping you can use the ping spoof to ensure that you will get 3 frames everytime you log on. this can also cause you to lag tho if you set the ping too low

im not sure about your second question relating to a decimal value of frames, ive wondered the same thing myself. for instance would a ping of 35 (3 frames) actually be slightly less delay than a ping of 45? (3 frames)

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
Can anyone give me some advice on how to edgeguard samus with DK or yoshi. I have a really hard time when they recover really low by the edge. :smash:

M!nt

Smash Champion
Will that hit samus even if she is at the lowest point where she can recover? I'm really scared to do that because if i miss she can jump up and dair me which basically means a stock if i'm at high %. Eggs get beat by her up b. Star King says this is an easy matchup, tell me your secretsss!! :glare:

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Eggs beat smaus's up b, but you have to aim them so that the eggsplosion does the work, not the egg itself. I usually try to throw them past samus so that if samus tries to go straight up to the ledge, she gets reverse egg stage spiked. There are probably better options though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Can anyone tell me about the history of competitive smash64?
How did it get started? Who were the first players? What was the first tourney? ect.
Online scene develops before anything you could really call competitive, ca. 2004 IIRC. Jaime had a really good history post that ought to be linked in a sticky or something but that doesn't go back to the very beginning just to the beginning of his career.

64 sort of tagged along on big melee tournaments every once in a while AFAIK, notably like FC Diamond.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Can anyone give me some advice on how to edgeguard samus with DK or yoshi. I have a really hard time when they recover really low by the edge. :smash:
What I do if she's recovering low (different stuff is she's bombing from above):

With DK, stick out a non-fastfalled dair (start the dair early so you hit with the late parts of it and don't kill yourself), try to go as directly above her as possible to reduce the chances of being beaten out by up-b. Maybe low FSmash in some scenarios.

With Yoshi, throw eggs, try to go out and aerial her if you don't have time for eggs as a last resort (usually if she wall DI's the egg at a pretty low %). You can also try to down-b her but it's a little dangerous and egg will work just as well in situations where you can use down-b, probably wouldn't recommend.

Sometimes she gets through stuff with her up-b invincible frames which seem almost random sometimes, but usually not at least :S

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Online scene develops before anything you could really call competitive, ca. 2004 IIRC. Jaime had a really good history post that ought to be linked in a sticky or something but that doesn't go back to the very beginning just to the beginning of his career.

64 sort of tagged along on big melee tournaments every once in a while AFAIK, notably like FC Diamond.
Online smash started sometime in 2003.

I started in may 2005. Random things I remember from back then:

There was a forum called super smash pros that was the main place the competitive players congregated. Smashboards 64 section existed but it was more casual discussion. SSP died sometime around 2006 and everyone moved to smashboards.

There was an old player tier list. malva had his own tier just like he does now. Johnny, Frizzle, Fragmastergen, cHaos, Dark Link, were below him and near the top. I never got to play Frizzle, Fragmastergen, or cHaos. I think cHaos might be the only person to have ever beaten malva in an online tourney? But then malva came back and won GF I think. Pretty sure cHaos played kb kirby (even broken back in the day). Hopefully I didn't get all of that wrong and malva doesn't come call me DUM.

Jaime and Boom have both been around since at least 2004. Jaime before Boom I think.

Quickman! was my main rival for a while in 2005/2006. We seemed to progress at the same rate so we always had really close matches (but he was usually a tad better).

That's all I feel like typing for now.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
What's up?

I remember reading somewhere that when you up smash you're really jumping and then canceling the jump with an up smash or something like that.

Is that true? If that's the case, then do you get 2 frames of invincibility when you up smash out of shield? What about when you up B out of shield?

Thanks!

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
When you jump out of shield, you get two frames of invincibility. You have to jump to do moves like upsmash or up B out of shield so you do get 2 frames of invincibility.

I'm not sure about the "canceling jump with an upsmash". It would make sense though. You input "Up", the initial jump animation starts, then if "A" is input on the next frame or two, then an upsmash happens and cancels the jump. I'm not sure that's how it works though.

rpotts

Smash Lord
That is true, because of the fact that it's jump cancelled (JC) you're able to do it out of a dash and out of shield (OoS) unlike all other moves.
@ Han Solo Han Solo that is basically how it works, though I believe you can input A before you've left the jumpsquat animation, which varies by character. So Fox would have to JC upsmash in 3 frames of jumpsquat vs Link's 7 frames. This is all off of the top of my head, I bet @ mixa mixa or @ Madao Madao can chime in and give the frame data.

In regards to the invincibility frames I'm not certain, but I believe you're only invincible for the frames immediately after you've left the ground, so JC upsmash / upb wouldn't actually leave the ground thus not being invincible. Again, I'll let the frame masters clear things up if they choose to.

Sangoku

Smash Master
An upsmash is performed by pressing A and up at the same time. If "at the same time" meant "on the same frame", that would be too hard, that's why we believe the developpers gave some leniency. So if you delay your forward smash, you will dash a bit, if you delay your down smash, you will start crouching, and if you delay you upsmash, you will start jumping. In the case of upsmash, you just need to press A during the jump animation, as rpotts said (although you can input A and up on the same frame, in case it is not a jump cancelled by an upsmash).

When you jump out of shield, the first 2 frames of jumping animation are blue invincibility frames, so you are indeed invincible when jumping out of shield (jumping here meaning upsmash and upb as well).

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff! Thanks guys. ^_^

On a separate note, I know that there is an inverse relationship between damage % and how long you get invincibility when you grab the ledge.

Is it like get ups, get up attacks, and get up rolls where you immediately get less invincibility at 100% or more and then it stays constant?

Or does your ledge invincibility continue to decrease at a steady rate as your damage increases?

Other?

Thanks.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
do you mean the frames of invincibility when you actually snap to the ledge? i'm pretty sure those are constant irrespective of damage. percent affects your get up stuff, not how much invincibility you get on the ledge when you grab it.

Shears

Smash Master
2 questions.

1. How do I search the forum now with this new layout?
2. What are the common smash servers? I just set up online play and followed KnitPhox's tutorial which was very helpful.

Sangoku

Smash Master
You can click on "master server list" to have a list of servers ordered by ping. Then you can right click any server and choose "add to local list".

Concerning searching on smashboards, go to google, write your keyword followed by site:smashboards.com.

Zeds

Smash Apprentice
Ok I don't know who else to ask about this, so hopefully one of you reading this can help/knows the problem.

About 4 months ago, the FU server started being a foghat and doesn't let me enter. However, the weird thing is that I can still see the lobby, it just never logs me in. I have to constantly force quit pj64 and restart it just to have another shot at entering FU. I can get in maybe 1/30 times. But after about 8-9 tries it simply crashes on me and I can't join FU for about 5 mins (I guess it times me out or something). So i have to repeat this process and sometimes it takes me 15mins of this bulldung to get in, just to join a game and someone ds's and then I have to start over. Not fun.

here is a SS of what it looks like when I try to log in to FU:

It doesn't show me logging in on the left side, yet I can still send messages/join games/create games etc. I don't see any of it of course, but people have told me that THEY see me as being logged in. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up on smash. Just tired of it, tbh.

Does ANYONE know the problem here? I've tried restarting computer, reinstalling pj64kve (multiple times with different versions), and I even went so far as to reinstall windows 7. Nothing works. Any other tips or tricks?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
try windows key + r, type cmd, press enter, type ipconfig /release, press enter, type ipconfig /renew, press enter

the chances of that working are like 1 in 800 million because i know nothing about that kind of stuff. my assumption would be you're still being considered logged in to smash fu when you aren't, like it logs your connection as active or something, and you need to cut that connection.

if this is the solution i will take a shot of whiskey

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
What's up?

I have a few questions regarding buffered moves in this game. I don't really know what I'm talking about at all, so if I come off like a total moron right now, pardon me lol.

So as far as I know, the only two times you can truly buffer a move are right before a game starts and right before a game unpauses. What the buffer does is allow you to hold down an input, let's say Up Smash, so that right as the game starts or unpauses the Up Smash will immediately come out.

1) Are there any other times you can buffer attacks?

2) By holding down the input prior to the game start / game unpause, are you ensuring that the input will be register the first frame the game restarts. So frame 1 is the input of the move, frame 2 is the frame delay, and frame three is the start up animation.

Move begins frame 3 after buffer.

3) By holding down the input prior to the game start / game unpause, are you ensuring that the actual start up animation for the attack will happen the first frame the game restarts. In this case, the frame you input the move and the one frame delay both happen while the game isn't started yet or paused?

Move begins frame 1 after buffer.

4) Am I just completely wrong? If so please help lol.

Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about so this entire post may seem really dumb lmao.

Zeds

Smash Apprentice
I had this problem when i first started online, seemed to go away when I switched houses(same computer), so it MIGHT be an internet thing
yeah it worked fine before i changed residences. oh well, at least my underage black ****** hentai still loads fine!

Sangoku

Smash Master
What's up?

I have a few questions regarding buffered moves in this game. I don't really know what I'm talking about at all, so if I come off like a total moron right now, pardon me lol.
There's no such thing as a moron here. At least not because one is less knowledgeable about the game. And it's not even the case, because your questions are complicated lol.

1) I can't think of any other moment when you can buffer an attack, but buffering is more used for joystick directions, to avoid fastfalling or double jumping (even more so on keyboard). A shield release can also be buffered while being in shield stun, which is a big wtf devs.

2) Wrong

3) Correct, in fact there's no frame delay anymore, since the input is already recorded. So the move comes out on the first frame of game.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Ooo thanks man.

I think i've been looking at it wrong the whole time. The one frame delay after the command input isn't so much an in-game attribute of smash, but is actually just a requirement for the entire game in general. What i'm saying is that for every single input -pressing start, selecting character, changing the mode from free-for-all to team-battle, etc - it all has a one frame delay after the initial input, correct?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Exactly. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's inherent to the game, the console, or even the emulator. If the latter, this whole one frame delay thing is wrong and only applies to mupen. I doubt it though and I'd say it's more universal (applies at least to the game, wouldn't extrapolate to say console).

Madao

Exactly. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's inherent to the game, the console, or even the emulator. If the latter, this whole one frame delay thing is wrong and only applies to mupen. I doubt it though and I'd say it's more universal (applies at least to the game, wouldn't extrapolate to say console).
I think certain things have 1 frame delay, but not sure if everything has the delay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom