• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to set up P2P because I get disheartened when I play online, not because I lose (which I do) but because I can't play my best with the delay. If my computer has an option to allow project 64 through my firewall, do I have to worry about port forwarding and all that?

Also, do people still play P2P these days and, if so, does anyone want some games?

Loto

Smash Ace
Yes people still p2p and yes you need to forward your ports if you would like to P2P. And yes I'll P2p if you would like, I can host just hit me up on the server or shoot me a pm.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
the CP has done a lot of crazy DIs recently. y'know, that one at the edge where you go flying up & towards the stage. anyone know the specifics of it?
I'm not talking about the DI you can do when recovering from below, I'm talking about that one which gives out the same effect, but you are near the edge (on the stage).

ok, I don't trust my description skills, so here for pixel format.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Which moves have a fixed knockback, or close to it?

Yoshi's dtilt/utilt, DK's up b, and Kirby's uair come to mind, are there any others?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Laser, shine, fox's downward angled ftilt

Luigi's up-b after first frame I think (maybe not).

A lot of drills seem to have fixed knock back at least until the last hit, aka 0 knockback.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Jabs come to mind. more or less
A attacks from an edgehog (haven't tested all chars)
Rest, Pound
DK's down B
Fox's first hit of uair
Samus' up B
Luigi's taunt
Luigi's dash attack
Link's weak bomb throw

I just thought of something that would be really cool to see, a graph of a move such as nair: strength x time. so Doc's would be the only one with a crescent one. or sth.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Who's jabs? I can't think of one that is fixed knockback. You just gotta get up real high to notice it. Is Ness's dtilt fixed?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yeh, that's why I said more or less.
Ness' d-tilt is not fixed. if you spam d-tilts, up until 150% a Fox would be able to push you with walking, but at 200%, the d-tilt will push him too far and he won't make it in time to push you before the next d-tilt comes.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
ah i see.

nairs don't gradually get weaker over time. There is a period where if you get hit it will be a strong nair, and a period where it will be a weak nair. The two time periods are separated by a distinct cutoff, so your strength vs time graph would look like a cliff. Rest is not constant knockback though.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
wow, I've always thought it would be a nice curve. do you know if this is true for Melee as well?

you're right, I have no idea why I put Rest there.

Loto

Smash Ace
Overview: Each player gets a total of 60 stocks, 5 for each character. The 1st player to lose all 60 stocks is eliminated.

Opening Stage: Before character selection, players will commence the stage striking system as described in the recommended rule set. The stage legalities from the recommended rule set apply.

Opening Characters: Players may either agree on an opening matchup, or if that is not doable, double blind picks may be called for.

In-game: Games will follow the format of the recommended rule set, i.e. 5 stock, no items, 100% damage, no handicap. If a player’s character has less than 5 stocks remaining at the start of the game, he must suicide his character until the stocks on screen matches the number of stocks remaining. Only stocks need to be kept track of, not damage!

After game: Once one player has lost all of the remaining stocks in a game, they are the “loser” for that round. The other player is the “winner.” The number of stocks lost for both the loser and winner should be recorded.

Loser has the option of changing stage.

1) If loser changes stage, then winner gets to change character, and then loser gets to pick his new character.
2) If loser doesn’t change stage, the winner must continue playing his previous character, and the loser gets to pick his new character.

Play continues like this until one player is completely out of characters.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
Any tips on controllers? I've read through numerous forums and I've noticed a trend of three main options.

1. Buy a good original controller. Kind of hard to find in the Lansing area of MI.
2. The epoxy fix video and stick greasing. http://youtu.be/OEJmSQjONRg
3. Hori pad. Can't find much about these controllers.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Any tips on controllers? I've read through numerous forums and I've noticed a trend of three main options.

1. Buy a good original controller. Kind of hard to find in the Lansing area of MI.
2. The epoxy fix video and stick greasing. http://youtu.be/OEJmSQjONRg
3. Hori pad. Can't find much about these controllers.
I would go with 1. meowmeowrainbowkitty (RIP) found a controller in perfect condition (most importantly with a perfect stick) at a flea market. You can get lucky like he did. I had my original controller, and bought a few sticks off a user who posted here. He might still have some sticks available. Search for the topic and PM him.

I've tried the fix on two control sticks, and I must've done something wrong because they're still really loose. I'll get to seeing what I did eventually. If you do get a good control stick, you should grease them.

I have no experience with Horis. They're kinda expensive I think, and they're not 64 controllers so I'll never buy them.

Now for my question:
Are there any benefits to angling shield other than on platforms (ex. angling down on DL platform to not get hit by falcon upsmash)?

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I found an essentially virgin controller at my friends house the other day. I beat him in smash with it so badly he humbly offered it as tribute.

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
I'm getting pretty consistent with my short hop double lasers. Are there any tricks to perfecting this technique other than short hop and essentially sliding your thumb right to B and mashing like crazy? Is this just one of those things that takes a ton of muscle precision like slide DIing?

Battlecow

Play to Win
horis are expensive but worth it IMO

great controllers

pound doesn't have fixed KB lol, nor do most non-rapid jabs. Don't believe weak bomb throw does either.

first hits of mario's up-B

yoshi's down-b stars

kirby's neutral B, up-B (first 2 hitboxes)

prolly some others

mixa

Banned via Warnings
not that I discriminated which was which but: "fixed knockback, or close to it".

but Pound isn't even close to being fixed. idk why I thought I knew anything about Puff.

The Star King

Smash Hero
List of all fixed knockback moves, pretty sure this has everything outside of items:
Tell me if I missed any.

All get-up attacks
All ledge attacks

Luigi:
Dash Attack
D-Air
Weak Up-B
Taunt

Mario:
D-Air
Down-B
All but last hit of Up-B

Donkey Kong (F-Throw grab release isn't constant lol):
Dash Attack
Up-B
Down-B

Link:
First two hits of U-Smash

Samus:
U-Air
Up-B

Falcon:
None

Ness (his D-Tilt causes people to fall at like 900%+ lol):
All hits of Neutral-B but the initial

Yoshi:
U-Tilt
D-Tilt
Neutral-B (If that counts)
Down-B landing stars

Kirby:
U-Air
All but last aerial hit of F-Air
Landing hit of F-Air/N-Air/D-Air
Neutral-B copy/spit-out/release (if those count)
Rising and falling hit of Up-B (not the shockwave)
Fox's Neutral-B
All hits of Ness's Neutral-B but the initial
Yoshi's Neutral-B

Fox:
Down-angled F-Tilt
First hit U-Air
D-Air
Neutral-B
Down-B

Pikachu:
F-Air (Not the uncanceled landing hit)

Jigglypuff:
D-Air (Not the uncanceled landing hit)
God this was a ***** to find. Also Smashboards wouldn't generate a quote for me for some reason, had to manually do that ****

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Look at your local play n trade and other gaming stores. Like Han Solo said flea markets have hidden treasures too. It's surprising how often you can find quality N64 controllers at those places.

You can also buy replacement joysticks online. There's like 3 different types. Just don't get the gamecube style one. The other 2 are decent.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Hey I just realised ssb64 is on wii vc. What are the pitfalls of buying this? GCN controller no good, weird lag? I dunno at first I was thinking oh my god I need to buy this...now I'm thinking I should try to buy a N64 instead lol

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey I just realised ssb64 is on wii vc. What are the pitfalls of buying this? GCN controller no good, weird lag? I dunno at first I was thinking oh my god I need to buy this...now I'm thinking I should try to buy a N64 instead lol
http://smashboards.com/threads/334038/
See this thread

There is also something called not64 as well if you have a hacked wii which is supposed to work well as well.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Ive tried ssb64 for the wii. It feels really weird, probably mostly due my familiarity to the 64 controller.

Battlecow

Play to Win
the sad thing is that as OP as pika is in singles

he's fifty times better in teams

and as OP as one pika is in teams

2 pikas are like pika^600, soooooo much greater than the sum of their parts

pika+pika is so so so much better than any other team

Sean of the World

Smash Rookie
Look at your local play n trade and other gaming stores. Like Han Solo said flea markets have hidden treasures too. It's surprising how often you can find quality N64 controllers at those places.

You can also buy replacement joysticks online. There's like 3 different types. Just don't get the gamecube style one. The other 2 are decent.
Found a beautiful virgin stick today at a electronic thrift store. Going to grease that baby up today. Could you possibly link me to the replacement sticks that aren't the terrible gamecube style sticks? I can't seem to find them on the interwebs.

Top Bottom