• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
What other ways do you need?

Well, technically you can get hit by a move to interrupt your animation before the second hit comes out, lol

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Greetings datte bayo!

My Z button doesn't work anymore. It's not jammed or anything, the console simply does not accept Z inputs from it. Help?

If the solution involves taking apart my controller, and I'm sure it will, please know that i have never done that before. Please instruct me the same way you would a 5 year old. Thanks!

lpierce1313

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I have this controller and i tried opening and fixing but I don't know to fix this problem:

When i'm in game the z button is stuck, it's always shielding I've tried cleaning it and but nothing works any ideas

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Have either of you two tried blowing into your controller? That **** works sometimes.

Google cleaning your n64 controller to find instructions on how to take it apart. There is at least one that will be more detailed than whatever anyone posts on here.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
whats the best way to consistently improve your game? i drop games online to people who i definitely believe are worse than me. my tech skill is solid to not ever blame it on my ability most of the time, as i certainly believe i should be a better player in my matches, but find myself getting wrecked sometimes by cheese or something i should be able to deal with

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Be patient, look for and pressure them into making mistakes i.e. baiting, if you keep making a mistake realize what you and your opponent are doing in that situation and correct it. The last thing you wanna do in 64 is be mango/hax and just go in balls deep because better players will push your peanutbutter in for doing it.

I mean pressure/shield pressure is one thing but you gotta be careful and plan your baits and punishes. Really the smartest thing I can tell you though is play matchups, know what wins in a character to character matchup and study the hell out of it when you play someone whose good with that character, and if you're hard countered by style or a real counterpick situation, switch chars.

Above all else, dont get hit :awesome:!

lpierce1313

Smash Rookie
Playing online

Hey guys I wanna play online on pj64k but it feels so different and I hate it, because it is very lagged and just doesn't feel like it does on the actual console, is there a way to calibrate so it feels almost identical.

lpierce1313

Smash Rookie
Have either of you two tried blowing into your controller? That **** works sometimes.

Google cleaning your n64 controller to find instructions on how to take it apart. There is at least one that will be more detailed than whatever anyone posts on here.
I've tried cleaning it but it still doesn't work

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey guys I wanna play online on pj64k but it feels so different and I hate it, because it is very lagged and just doesn't feel like it does on the actual console, is there a way to calibrate so it feels almost identical.
If you are using a controller, try adjusting your deadzone. Not sure otherwise (sry use a KB)

Also to be able to play japanese version of the game what do i need to play the game?
Project 64, as before

In terms of the game Nintendo All-star! Dairantou Smash Brothers (j) [!]
. Won't post a link nor you due to forum rules. The gameshark cheat should work for JP also but if not, I'll send you it if I still have it if you PM me.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I've tried cleaning it but it still doesn't work
get phillips #0 and #00 screwdrivers, ONLY USE #00 FOR THE MEMORY CARD/RUMBLE PACK SLOT SCREWS, use the #0 for the rest

use a bottle of rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips to clean all the dirt and GRIME everywhere

you can use them even to clean the CONTACTS under the PLASTIC BUTTONS

don't thank me, tell other people with the same problem instead

almost forgot to mention, this applies towards nearly all screws as well...put downward pressure and make sure the driver head is properly fitted into each screw BEFORE unscrewing....you can easily strip many screws in your lifetime if you are CARELESS, then again, it's your stuff.

when you remove each screw, put them in a way that you can't mess up which screw goes where so everything will fit back nicely for you.

i have a little method of making sure the screw goes in well during reassembly so i don't CROSS-THREAD the screws. ill share; when you are done cleaning and are ready to begin putting the screws back in the controller plastic, MAKE SURE that you don't carelessly press down on the scre and twist right away, you may CROSS THREAD the plastic and make whichever holes near useless in the process. all you need to do to avoid this is apply a small amount of pressure to the screw head with your screwdriver and go in REVERSE rotation, as you would to remove a screw. this way, when the screw snaps or falls into place you will feel that it is situated correctly and can then begin to rotate the screw with downward pressure slowly in the tightening rotation.

also when reapplying the screws to the controller do not tighten any until all screws are about halfway in. if you tighten them right away you can EASILY get an uneven fitting of the bottom and top parts of the controller housing, making gripping the controller feel weird or twisted. again, it's your stuff, do as you wish.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Alright, once and for all, how many different people are in this list:

killa k, killer, shade, shade$, shademoneh

For awhile I thought maybe they were all the same person, now I'm thinking three.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Alright, once and for all, how many different people are in this list:

killa k, killer, shade, shade$, shademoneh

For awhile I thought maybe they were all the same person, now I'm thinking three.
2 people

killer is kb player

killa k is SHADE's smashboards name and shade/shade$ are his kaillera names and shademoneh is his tournament name
I THINK...

Yobolight

Smash Lord
General tips for edge-guarding Kirby please. I feel like I am not doing it as effectively as possible.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I only just noticed that Isai posted Apex videos without mentioning it. Has anyone else posted videos in secret?

M!nt

Smash Champion
5, you should really only increase it if your controller stick gets off center and your character move's by itself.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
5, you should really only increase it if your controller stick gets off center and your character move's by itself.
Wow This is what deadzone means?

Mine is way too high, especially for how crispy-clean my controller's thumbstick still is

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
What's the best Graphics and Audio plug-in?
Audio will default to audiihle.dll aka azimers 0.30 OR whatever audio plugin is renamed audiohle.dll(Idk if its exactly this, just sayin from memory, not at my comp)

Pick any audio plugin, I'd like to say "it doesn't actually matter"...it only truly matters if you are an audiophile OR super anal or technical. Do as you wish.

Graphics plugin depends on a per computer gpu basis, its different for everyone, really; even the settings may differ when two people use the same plugin. Try your luck with different ones for as long as you wish.

IMO the best gfx plugins are..in order
Jabos 3d8 (renamed to 3D7)
" 3D7
" 3D6
Glide (hit or miss regarding version, settings and your specific machine)
Rice (same annotations as glide)

Any others I've had bad or no experience with

GOOD LUCK

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i bought a non nintendo controller that moves extremely quickly across the screen, and is registering tilts as smashes. i basically have to touch it a tiny bit for it to do a tilt. and the arrow shoots across the character select screen. so in game i do things i don't mean to - hence i gave it to my girlfriend and took her real n64 controller.

but now i'm curious if it would work better for online play - would i be able to change how much each input registers via pj64? like, if i have it less responsive on the joystick, would i be able to use it normally? or would it still be all screwed up, but at half the speed?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i bought a non nintendo controller that moves extremely quickly across the screen, and is registering tilts as smashes. i basically have to touch it a tiny bit for it to do a tilt. and the arrow shoots across the character select screen. so in game i do things i don't mean to - hence i gave it to my girlfriend and took her real n64 controller.

but now i'm curious if it would work better for online play - would i be able to change how much each input registers via pj64? like, if i have it less responsive on the joystick, would i be able to use it normally? or would it still be all screwed up, but at half the speed?
you need to get a higher deadzone and lower range, should work out for you

id start at 6 deadzone then work up for walking/tilts, then start at 85range and work back for SPEED

i just got a nintendo 64 controller and am using this adapter

http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU

i can't seem to figure out how the c buttons work. they register as a Z axis, but even when i assign the c buttons, they do not work when i test them(every other button works 100%)

tried with all plugins in 64k
no you didn't, try nrage v2 1.83

here's N-Rage's own url with plugins

M!nt

Smash Champion
i just got a nintendo 64 controller and am using this adapter

http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU

i can't seem to figure out how the c buttons work. they register as a Z axis, but even when i assign the c buttons, they do not work when i test them(every other button works 100%)

tried with all plugins in 64k
Go calibrate your controller and when it gets to the Z and Y axis calibration use the c buttons. should fix it.

mismashu

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm pretty much new here. I have been playing n64 smash for couple weeks now due to all my friends always play it when we hang out. They have been playing for a couple years competively. We play free for all and I always the one who end up losing first. because I'm the guy who only knows how to spam fireball and grab and up/down smash n such, thats all i know.

When I watch my friends play, they move and dodge so well. When I try to dodge or jump around their attacks, they get right. For example, when I try to down A I can't do anything when I land. Or when I hit them once while mid air, thats all I could do, but my friends can keep hitting me once they hit me once. I don't know why all my moves lag so much.

Any tips for a beginner to get good? Thanks.

Battlecow

Play to Win
really the only way to get good is practice, practice, practice, but there are ways to make practice more effective

-play 1v1s. If you can get one of your friends to play with you, or if you have a computer you can get yourself an adapter and play online. 1v1s will make you hone your skills instead of spamming stuff. Sure way to improve, plus, it's more fun.

-practice advanced techniques like short hopping, z-cancelling, teching, etc. These take a little while to learn but they let you move faster and better; you can find guides on how to do them in the smash index which is another stickied thread. For instance, the lag you get after moves is likely caused by you not z-cancelling, and to stop it you just press z right before you hit the ground

-camp/play defensively. Free for alls are terrible because of this: if you just hang out away from the action and run away from people as much as you can, they'll fight and kill each other and you'll still be fine. obviously you'll have to fight sometimes but in FFA's, do it as little as possible and you'll be exploiting the system like no one's business

basically, your friends are better than you and like anything else, you have to get good before you can win.

mismashu

Smash Rookie
I tried downloading ssb64 online but this error keeps popping up.

"gxdll could not find, please find another one"

"error"

Basically the whole screen turns dark...

I downloaded the emulator and the super smash bros u! rom as well but it doesnt load for me. What am I doing wrong guys?

Since i don't have the game, playing online is the only way for me to get decent. All my friends have the game at home. :(

M!nt

Smash Champion
go to options->settings and change the graphics plugin to Jabo3D8 or 3D6 whichever you prefer.

Top Bottom