• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I'm still working on getting to the "good at this game" level.

I realized the other day that I haven't played any character except for falcon for like 3 weeks (couple games a day). Does this seem wise? Or should I be spreading the wealth a little bit and playing other characters occasionally?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nobody really knows whether playing one character or playing multiple characters is "better" for getting good at the game, because there's no real good way of comparing (everyone can only do just one option, and comparing people to each other is fishy because of natural talent and stuff). My biased side wants to saying playing multiple is better, though. But I would just do whichever is more fun.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
a plus about playing multiple characters is that you will play better AGAINST the characters you understand

B Link

Smash Lord
So, I'm trying to get my adapter from http://www.raphnet-tech.com/ to be recognized by my computer. I plugged it into a bunch of different ports, and then finally I got it to try to install the driver, which it failed to install. On the site it says no PC drivers are necessary, but I can't find it under control panel game controllers to calibrate. What's up? Sorry if this has already been posted.
I have the gc/n64 one, use windows 7 and it worked fine for me using either an n64 or a gc controller just by plugging it in. Just thought I'd share my experience with it to illustrate that I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
a plus about playing multiple characters is that you will play better AGAINST the characters you understand
THIS (and vice versa). i almost never use kirby or pikachu but when i do i can still keep up since the friends i mainly play against seem to only use them.

other than that, playing the game in most capacities is going to make you better, you will just know one character very thoroughly. i think it's mostly preference, and i prefer to mix it up. when i have a lot of free time i like to start with one character and play against every character, then move on and use the next one.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Clubba how did you get so many posts?
idk. i hosted that smash league and ran the btt records thread (which i need to update when i get a new comp) that one summer, kept me on the boards a lot. Other things I post about include:

-star king's noobishness
-taylor swift (that new album is gonna be hot fire)
-futilely trying to make battlecow understand that he didn't actually make a point
-star king's n00bishness
-how fun apex was
-knitephox's inability to post videos on youtube (seriously like 20 posts right there, its been almost a year!)
-pointing out when smash64 makes the front page of reddit
-drinking(kool-aid, not alcohol obvi)
-star king's n00bishness
-college vs high school
-lol australia
-TIER LISTS (too fun to theorize and come to no conclusions)
-jeff the killer's threads (i'm the only one who's actually serious in his threads, but he thinks i'm the only one who's joking :( )
-educating noobs (like star king)
-this post

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.....Star king must be noob since SK clearly says "clubba is right about everything" :troll:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
idk. i hosted that smash league and ran the btt records thread (which i need to update when i get a new comp) that one summer, kept me on the boards a lot. Other things I post about include:

-star king's noobishness
-taylor swift (that new album is gonna be hot fire)
-futilely trying to make battlecow understand that he didn't actually make a point
-star king's n00bishness
-how fun apex was
-knitephox's inability to post videos on youtube (seriously like 20 posts right there, its been almost a year!)
-pointing out when smash64 makes the front page of reddit
-drinking(kool-aid, not alcohol obvi)
-star king's n00bishness
-college vs high school
-lol australia
-TIER LISTS (too fun to theorize and come to no conclusions)
-jeff the killer's threads (i'm the only one who's actually serious in his threads, but he thinks i'm the only one who's joking :( )
-educating noobs (like star king)
-this post
thumbs up

lol knitephox videos and lol australia indeed

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt the answer to this question is going to change my life but this has been pissing me off lately: why does every DK backface and press B in the air for like .23 seconds when they jump around the level? Does this increase horizontal speed or something or are they just working on getting that charge fired up?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
you can change the direction you're facing in the air using b. this is useful because DK's bair has mad range while DK's fair has little range. so it's good to practice doing the change direction with b.

Atlasatlast

Smash Rookie
Sup Smashers.
As a noob to competitive ssb64 (all those blasted tech skills), I am curious if you'd advise sticking to one particular character to refine techniques (aka choose a main) or if playing all of the characters relatively equally is a good method to continue to improve. A friend of mine and I spar frequently IRL so we do appreciate the variety of using all of the characters, but this may change as we get into the online community and face off against (get *****) by the players there with every character anyways. Also, have you all just spent hours in training mode training the muscle memory to be able to perform consistently the advanced techniques in game play? I understand many of them and have done them a few times but can't consistently pull them off yet. (missing z-cancels and getting punished etc.) Please and thank you! Really excited to be getting better. :D
-Atlas

kys

Smash Ace
Sup Smashers.
As a noob to competitive ssb64 (all those blasted tech skills), I am curious if you'd advise sticking to one particular character to refine techniques (aka choose a main) or if playing all of the characters relatively equally is a good method to continue to improve. A friend of mine and I spar frequently IRL so we do appreciate the variety of using all of the characters, but this may change as we get into the online community and face off against (get *****) by the players there with every character anyways. Also, have you all just spent hours in training mode training the muscle memory to be able to perform consistently the advanced techniques in game play? I understand many of them and have done them a few times but can't consistently pull them off yet. (missing z-cancels and getting punished etc.) Please and thank you! Really excited to be getting better. :D
-Atlas
Everyone is different, but imo it's better to get a variety of characters. You've gotta figure out how you learn the fastest.

Personally, I've spent maybe two hours in training mode period. I used it to learn z-cancel and short hopped aerials. It's too boring for me to sit there and try to perfect things like mario sh dair uair or ff uairs so I do it all online, in matches. And there's no way I'm turning a game I love into work.

Go online and play, play, play. Play people better than you, equal skill, and worse. Play everyone as much as you can and don't leave even if you're getting *****.

Also, figure out your setup. Make sure you have the right cheats turned on, and don't pick random stage. Know what a desynch (ds) is. This goes a long way in keeping a good player in your game.

It's not a bad idea to keep your smashboards name and your kaillera name the same. More people will recognize you. The truth is folks on kaillera will more readily play a game with you if they know you or have heard of you.

Atlasatlast

Smash Rookie
Everyone is different, but imo it's better to get a variety of characters. You've gotta figure out how you learn the fastest.

Personally, I've spent maybe two hours in training mode period. I used it to learn z-cancel and short hopped aerials. It's too boring for me to sit there and try to perfect things like mario sh dair uair or ff uairs so I do it all online, in matches. And there's no way I'm turning a game I love into work.

Go online and play, play, play. Play people better than you, equal skill, and worse. Play everyone as much as you can and don't leave even if you're getting *****.

Also, figure out your setup. Make sure you have the right cheats turned on, and don't pick random stage. Know what a desynch (ds) is. This goes a long way in keeping a good player in your game.

It's not a bad idea to keep your smashboards name and your kaillera name the same. More people will recognize you. The truth is folks on kaillera will more readily play a game with you if they know you or have heard of you.
All great info, sweet thanks! And I have no aversion to a good beat down, its all part of improving. Appreciate it kys.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good attitude man. I'd recommend going with a main--it worked for me (well, it's what I did, anyways--whether it worked is up for debate). A lot of really good players have always played a bunch of characters though. Ultimately it's up to you; play to improve.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I have been having a really hard time finding even one good shield breaker with Pikachu. Anyone got any tips?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Star King's hate-dummy: Whichever character battlecow happens to be maining at the moment

One of these days I'll pick up Yoshi, and then we'll see.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Oh come on, you totally thought the same thing. Swag with Pikachu? I was just giving the proper response. I am willing to make fun of anyone in the top 4 to some degree. Fox probably the least, but still possibly.

^^lets be real, no you won't
lol this

If you play Yoshi I definitely won't be hating on the character. I might make fun of yours specifically though, if you do something incredibly scrubby like utilt dair combos or whatever.

Atlasatlast

Smash Rookie
Speaking of, my friends and I "discovered" that* a while ago, and while we don't use it as much anymore cuz it just feels cheap, I still haven't discovered a really effective way to either avoid it entirely, or escape except for as a really floaty character like Jiggles. I haven't seen it used in many online matches as a 0-death combo like it is for us, so there must be a way you pros neutralize it right?
* Yoshi's utilt jump djc dair trap

Top Bottom