• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well when people refer to them I am assuming they mean lack of solid walls -> lack of ledge DI. But this barely even matters because compared to the low rate ledge DI will have of saving you, the barrel, high ledges to go for, and a floor you can go through more than make up for that by far. So it just grinds my gears that people ALWAYS bring it up like it's some huge problem that's crippling to recoveries, when it's not. Supa isn't necessarily the best example of someone doing this (but still, why you people always gotta bring it up dudes), I've just had this peeve for a while and felt like speaking out about it now.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i think mentioning them is fine, just dont make a huge deal about them

link isn't going to be recovering on congo anyway regardless of ledge DI, if you want the go-through floor to have any meaning you need a recovery with options and distance (like ness :troll:)

if the barrel restored your second jump and up-b it might be more relevant, but it doesn't, so poop

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Its still ******** not because what it does and what makes up for it, but the whole design of the ledge being a thin piece of platform just looks dumb. Your explaining as if someone was john-ing about the stage because of the ledges when in reality I just don't like the stage period.

and for Jiggs v. Luigi pls... inform the masses. :]

kys

Smash Ace
Well when people refer to them I am assuming they mean lack of solid walls -> lack of ledge DI. But this barely even matters because compared to the low rate ledge DI will have of saving you, the barrel, high ledges to go for, and a floor you can go through more than make up for that by far. So it just grinds my gears that people ALWAYS bring it up like it's some huge problem that's crippling to recoveries, when it's not. Supa isn't necessarily the best example of someone doing this (but still, why you people always gotta bring it up dudes), I've just had this peeve for a while and felt like speaking out about it now.
I think they were talking about the sloped ledges and how they can *** with some attacks and grab. Not really applicable to Link.

I've been saying that ever since I spoke up in the stage thread. Congo provides better recovery options, a reason why it's the most balanced stage in the game, and should be the starting neutral imo.

Yeah, Link's better on Congo than dreamland, for reasons bcow pointed out. It's bigger and helps his recovery more. Link's problems are recovery and slow attacks. Congo helps solve them moreso than dreamland.

Also, the way the platforms move along with the higher platforms on the side help to stack his combos, a lot like you would Fox and Falcon. Tech chasing on the moving platforms is so easy you can almost consider it a part of a combo, so you can get some really nice uair chains going.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the slopes **** around with link's hookshot, as well as his u-tilt/d-tilt/d-smash, and makes boomerang placement more annoying if you're in the low center portion

i can see congo being better than dreamland, but peach's is still cooler

Battlecow

Play to Win
In this context I don't think anyone was saying it was bad for recoveries. Often it helps, but even so, it's a lot different from how other stages have you recover. The ledges are hella weird even if they're not "worse" per se

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Nah I think congo is worse for link. I do better on DL for some reason.
I feel the same way, but I do not know why so I was trying to figure out what was going on.
Perhaps the omnipresence of platforms help link's spacing?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hyrule's not quite as bad as sector Z or MK IMO

good deal worse than zebes and prolly worse than saffron tho.

firo

Smash Ace
So the hosts of the main Galaxy server has no power due to sandy and the servers are down. The backup is up for now. The outage is expected to last at least a day.

EDIT: It's up now. Not sure if it'll stay up for good or not.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
No wonder I couldn't connect to Galaxy (not like I can play or anything). Thanks Firo :3

ballin4life

Smash Hero
For the record, I feel that Link's game on Dreamland is a tad underrated. People don't abuse instant double jump platform movement enough (hi Isai). Or know how to play Link outside of projectile spam in general.
what's "instant double jump platform movement"?

Hyrule's not quite as bad as sector Z or MK IMO

good deal worse than zebes and prolly worse than saffron tho.
are u srs

asianaussie

Smash Hero
link can double stick jump to the top platform (time second jump appropriately) and land as soon as he starts falling, meaning you're basically jumping up and assuming a standing position

idk what else he might mean, his second jump is sorta difficult to work with the side platforms

people need to practise movement more period, training mode =/= combo mode

Dingus

Smash Cadet
Who are some good Kirby players that preferably have videos online I can watch. Thanks thanks.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
i could go on a long rant about how **** congo is, but i'll spare you guys.

hyrule is pretty awesome, saffron can be fun but i would hate to play competitively there, and peaches castle is pretty fun too.

still prefer dream land and hyrule over any others thoe

Battlecow

Play to Win
are u srs
dude it's pretty hard to camp on zebes

saffron is a maybe. I don't have a lot of experience vs good helipad campers but I've never had THAT much trouble getting in on kirbies who spam utilt there. Maybe you know something I don't...

as for the random factors, pokemon aren't as bad as nadoes and lava is made up for by the very non-jank stage layout and the predictability of lava.

kys

Smash Ace
dude it's pretty hard to camp on zebes

saffron is a maybe. I don't have a lot of experience vs good helipad campers but I've never had THAT much trouble getting in on kirbies who spam utilt there. Maybe you know something I don't...

as for the random factors, pokemon aren't as bad as nadoes and lava is made up for by the very non-jank stage layout and the predictability of lava.
> Says Congo's ledges are weird

> Says Zebes has a "very non-jank stage layout"

> Both have nearly identical ledges concerning both slope and the ability to go-through.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol obviously congo's a much better stage than zebes. Zebes isn't jank compared to like, MK or sector Z. The ledges aren't a huge deal.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice

Battlecow

Play to Win
f-throw f-throw works on other pikas and on kirbys from 0 (possibly up until some other very low percent?)

I believe that it also works on falcon from... I want to say around 10-15%. I'm not sure if that's a true combo though, it just works sometimes.

It also works on yoshi from 0 (again, not sure if this is just something that works because people don't jump out or if it actually combos) and it can also work up until about 12 (although I'm pretty sure you can jump out at the higher percents there). So you can sometimes do fthrow->fthrow->fthrow on yoshi and it's funny. I think it's easier when you're throwing yoshi a little bit off the stage so he doesn't hit ground.

and it works on DK from like 15ish and I think that might be all. Maybe not.

This is all information that probably changes based on the staleness of the fthrow as well. So that's tricky. Someone cooler and less busy than me could do a whole frame analysis thing on this and it would be useful.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
does anyone know the hitboxes for ness's usmash? i cannot figure that one out. most confusing move in the game IMO (right above DK's fair)

also I feel like it is much easier to shine shield break on jiggs. not entirely sure why

Battlecow

Play to Win
well jiggs has a really big shield that sort of encircles her body perfectly. That would be my first guess.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
So you can sometimes do fthrow->fthrow->fthrow on yoshi and it's funny.
Haha, thanks for the info.

Also, can someone enlighten me on a good technique for slide DI. As in, the way I move the control stick in my hands to get the most DI inputs.

I'm finding it hard to get any significant movement, even off Yosh dair. And ledge DI isn't happening for me either qq

:phone:

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Haha, thanks for the info.

Also, can someone enlighten me on a good technique for slide DI. As in, the way I move the control stick in my hands to get the most DI inputs.

I'm finding it hard to get any significant movement, even off Yosh dair. And ledge DI isn't happening for me either qq

:phone:
i've been trying a technique called '**** di' .

basically you push the joystick one way with your left thumb and shake the controller with your right hand like you're jacking off.

there's a video of it but i think the title was in another language so i can't find it

B Link

Smash Lord
IDK I couldn't get that DI technique to work

Maybe some people are just better practiced at that method and the motion in general

I honestly wish my left thumb was replaced with a robotic thumb with greater strength. I can't DI for ****

Battlecow

Play to Win
I DI faster when I get angrier. True story.

I don't **** DI, I just move my thumb as fast as possible. I have pretty good hori DI.

My man Miyagi, ex-champaign but currently residing in salt lake city, has hax awesome wtf **** DI. So yeah, **** DI can be godlike but it's very hard to use it effectively and reposition your hand in time to tech/react/whatever.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
dat **** DI. Funnily enough I know exactly what you're talking about.
Yeah, I find that hard to use for the same reason as Battlecow, (repositioning, etc.)
I use a Hori though so it might all work out without having to **** DI.
And with smash DI, seeing as the DI frames happen when you get hit pretty much, do you just try to smash the control stick in that way at the same time as you're hit? Just like one input?

tfw learning how to actually DI when you have to play TrueTears online with DI macros. :(

Top Bottom