• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Battlecow

Play to Win
I've noticed a strong correlation between hand movement speed on the character select screen and ability to get out of cargo hold.

I'm also highly suspicious when I'm playing one of our high pinging Mexican friends and they get out of cargo hold immediately.

Cheaters are everywhere.

I mash every button on the controller furiously and it gets me out pretty fast. I switch up how fast I mash sometimes too, because I feel like the only thing saving you from a gay little DK infinite is their possible lack of reaction. I don't believe anyone if they have some sort of outlined, systematic approach to what buttons they press. There's not enough time.
Dude, think about what you're saying. Is it really harder to react by mashing joystick, a and b than by mashing c buttons or whatever? left-right-left-right a-b-a-b is just faster. I do it unconsciously. I find it a little bit funny when people say that "cheaters are everywhere" or that "everyone's using macros" when they can't even be bothered to implement the proper way of mashing out themselves. I mean, if mashing them all is fast enough for you then fine, but don't get mad when people do it more efficiently and get out faster.

kys

Smash Ace
I would bet large sums of money that you are not doing a "left a, right b, left a, right b" in perfect sequential order, not when you have to do it fast enough to get out of a cargo hold.

Getting out isn't hard; getting out in the "perfect way" as to avoid a regrab is. Most people get out because the grabber themselves screw up.

I dunno if that's clear or not.

Luv tacos.

Sorry, I just don't buy that someone with 150+ ping can get out so fast. It seems to me that the frame delay itself would prevent such a quick escape.

I thought saying "Cheaters are everywhere" was an obvious exaggeration and didn't really mean it, but this is smashboards. But then again I'm starting to come to the opinion that keyboard users or anyone with a higher deadzone and whatnot should be considered cheaters

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Easier to just stay in the hold to me lol
For real, this is how i defend it too. My patience is INFINITE. It would be really useful to know exactly how many inputs are required at different percentages. Then you could input all but the last one, and then wait patiently for them to make a bad move and escape.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Keyboard users should be considered cheaters? Damn and I thought kys might be a potential ally to the Empire of the Stars. SO CLOSE.

BTW I don't think my Hori moves faster on the character select screen, but my Hori seems to have an abnormally low range (I can't tap jump full height >_>). I seem to have acquired a crappy one, go figure. Speaking of which I also had less hax DI than most keyboard players because I used Jabo instead of NRage, which has a set range for keyboard. So my Hori and keyboard experience seem coincidentally related. harharhar

Getting out isn't hard; getting out in the "perfect way" as to avoid a regrab is. Most people get out because the grabber themselves screw up.
Not necessarily I think. IIRC you are +1 frame advantage if you get out "normally" which should be enough to jab out or whatever. Might be hard for someone like Jigglypuff though, who has a bad jab and nothing like Pika up-b.

<3 kys

Wonder if he'll get less hate cuz he aint surri :O
Seeing a lot of stuff like this from you lately. Stop being a victim. People hated on your posts back in the day because they were dumb, not because you're Surri.

For real, this is how i defend it too. My patience is INFINITE. It would be really useful to know exactly how many inputs are required at different percentages. Then you could input all but the last one, and then wait patiently for them to make a bad move and escape.
I didn't think it was percentage dependent but I could be wrong. TAS TIME SRSLY

tacos

Smash Journeyman
BTW I don't think my Hori moves faster on the character select screen, but my Hori seems to have an abnormally low range (I can't tap jump full height >_>). I seem to have acquired a crappy one, go figure.
same thing happens with dex's hori, guess i got lucky when buying mine.
/confirming again that its faster than a normal 64 controller

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I didn't think it was percentage dependent but I could be wrong. TAS TIME SRSLY
I always thought it was because cpus get out instantly at low percentages, but take longer at high %. And kb users are definitely cheaters, real talk. Oh and ban horis from tournies, kthx

:phone:

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I have a couple questions.

What are some good strategies/character selections for teams when team attack is OFF?
(I know team attack Off isn't "legit", but that is just the way the tournament is set up.)

Is it ever a good idea to try to use Mario's Down B to spike?

How do you do the forward throw (Kirbycide) off a ledge with Kirby?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Seeing a lot of stuff like this from you lately. Stop being a victim. People hated on your posts back in the day because they were dumb, not because you're Surri.
Haha you've been loving me recently haven't you brother.

Depending on how far back in time we go I'll agree, but eventually it became my name / title...not my words.

BTW You're kind of a **** lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I have a couple questions.

What are some good strategies/character selections for teams when team attack is OFF?
(I know team attack Off isn't "legit", but that is just the way the tournament is set up.)

Is it ever a good idea to try to use Mario's Down B to spike?

How do you do the forward throw (Kirbycide) off a ledge with Kirby?
mario's down b spike is situational, but often a good idea, especially if your opponent does not have very good di. even getting the hitbox that sends them diagonally downwards on characters with poor horizontal recovery is amazing at low percents.

to kirbycide, you basically just have the be as close to the edge as possible before getting the grab. advisable to roll there if you can. however doing so basically screams at your opponent what you are trying to do.

with team attack off, you can abuse YOU GRAB I SMASH a lot more with your teammate. that is one gets the grab, the other hits them both with their strongest move. with team attack off you'll only hit the opponent.

The Star King

Smash Hero
But with TA off you can't do mega pwn Kirby spits out DK strategy

Haha you've been loving me recently haven't you brother.
Yep.

Depending on how far back in time we go I'll agree, but eventually it became my name / title...not my words.
Nope.

BTW You're kind of a **** lol
OK sure.

BTW My friend saw me hate on asianaussie and then you, and he said, and I quote "You should say something nice, like, uh 'Hey, you're intellectually disabled, so I think it's best if you leave this forum and not cause anyone trouble. Good day sir.'"
"That's not nice!" I said, loling hard.
But, it was an order, so, uh... hey, you're intellectually disabled, so I think it's best if you leave this forum and not cause anyone trouble. Good day sir.

Seriously don't take the last part seriously, it was a true story

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Do you guys ever walk instead of run? I feel like it can be a good mixup to just walk toward an opponent, but I never remember to try it out during a match.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i make jokes about it, but i sometimes do actually just pivot towards the opponent rather than running and doing things

keyboard also makes it hard to walk, gao

The Star King

Smash Hero
lol

hey surri, is this where we make jokes about SK having irl friends

love you sk
Battlecow has been there, done that. YAWN. aa confirmed for boring tier :troll:

Haha i don't mind getting insulted by SK for some reason.

Especially since he's been so outrageous the past little while. This outward anger seems to be coming from somewhere else. :o
IDK where I insulted you, or was ever angry. Also the only time I've been outrageous recently is my intentionally outrageous flaming of aa. According to aa I'm not outrageous ENOUGH, so there you go, your observation is moot :troll:

Do you guys ever walk instead of run? I feel like it can be a good mixup to just walk toward an opponent, but I never remember to try it out during a match.
Maybe if I both need movement and am planning on using a certain ground attack that can't be done out of a run.

B Link

Smash Lord
If SK stops randomly flaming at people I'm not going to have anything fun to read here anymore (I wouldn't have posted this if near stayed, but he left again mmmmmmmmmmmmm).

The Star King

Smash Hero
I ain't flamin' nobody

I can flame you if you want, although I'm not sure what to say about you so it would probably suck.

B Link

Smash Lord
Nice double negative mindgames. Nah it's more fun to be in the audience rather than an actor in the play. Especially if you've got front seat tickets and a cold beverage (but not too much otherwise you'll have to go to the washroom).

SSBPete

Smash Lord
press z after an 'a' aerial attack just before you hit the ground. this cancels almost all the landing frames. takes lots of practice before it becomes second nature so consciously try to z cancel after every said attack

:phone:

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
will we see you in the hobbit movies tom bombadil?
Sorry, I'm pretty sure I'm only in LOTR and you know how that worked out.

You can also use R if that makes it easier.
Are you saying I can "R-cancel" or use r instead of A for aerials?

As for my original question, I was really wondering how many frames (approx would be fine) before landing you need to z cancel. Also is it the same for every aerial? I have seen the table in another thread (can't remember which) which shows the delay for each aerial and was wondering if there was some z-cancelling theory that went along with it

Thanks for the replies guys

kys

Smash Ace
I wanna say you have 7 frames before you land to z-cancel.

Yes, you can "R-cancel" if you wish.

Your name is making me want to reread the LOTR trilogy. That was an important section in the books imo because it logically explains how the Nazgul overlord got done in by what seemed to be a normal knife and all that.

The table you're referring to is an auto-cancel table, I believe. That tells what aerials auto-cancel on specific frames. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
R is just pressing Z and A at the same time, which is why you can aerial and cancel with it

it's all personal preference, i prefer Z-cancelling on both keyboard and controllers of all sorts

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I just joined smashboards officially today so sorry about all the posts but I have a lot of questions.

I'm a developing smash player who has been playing for years but only recently discovered how deep the game is. So I am pretty fluid in how I play the game but am still getting comfortable with advanced techniques.

ATs I'm good at:
pivot, ledgehopping, ledgehogging, tilting (much moreso utilt than ftilt or dtilt though)

ATs I'm still working on:
z-cancelling, short hopping

Here's my question: How should I be practicing?

Right now I'm maining Falcon because he seems the easiest to combo on and he is great at punishing. My desire is to beat all my friends really easily because right now we are pretty even despite them doing things like camp-grab pika and sidesmash kirby.

I do training mode to practice basic falcon combos on different characters and I play online a few games a day.
Does anyone have a great practice regime or ideas for what I should focus on improving?
I should mention I'm down to play any character but am using falcon currently

Lastly, if any good players are bored and want to hop on skype and give me some online lessons that would be awesome. I live in Oregon (for ping reasons)

tl;dr How should I practice? Train me?

prisonchild

Smash Ace
at a basic level kirby is going to be hard to beat (even at my level which is only slightly above basic).

but i would just recommend practise, whether it be against a human, computer, training mode, etc. break the targets and board the platforms help initially just because they focus on speed, and you need to z cancel and fast fall properly (among other things) to be 'fast' in your movements.

Top Bottom