• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
it's like 2 frames faster if frame perfect (shield for 1 frame) and everybody made fun of me for not knowing this like a couple of months ago

M!nt

Smash Champion
I dont really care about the faster bit, I just use it so i dont accidently tilt instead of drop aerial.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
yeah i remember you got called out for that sk, i also remember laughing when it was only 2 frames faster and everybody made you seem like a total idiot for not knowing. it makes dk's uair combo easier (not that i can finish one) which is the primary reason i wanted to learn it. so far i've messed up a few times and just shielded on the platform (and lowered the shield) but i seem to be getting the hang of it.

and pete i can't tell if that's aussie sarcasm or just mean sarcasm.

who can't use a couple frames especially when it's not difficult to get used to?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah and it was a conditional 2 frames (1/30 of a second), only if it's frame perfect, and I have never seen it mentioned in any beginner intros or anywhere on this forum at all for my 3 years here, but apparently I'm a dummy for not knowing. I think everybody just wanted to feel good about themselves for actually knowing something I didn't for once :yeahboi:

B Link

Smash Lord
I didn't know that it was 2 frames faster.

I learned about shield platform dropping from ecartman when I first started:
Ecartman: wanna see a powerful technique?
b link: ok

It looked cool and it worked a lot so I just started doing it from then on

ballin4life

Smash Hero
yeah i remember you got called out for that sk, i also remember laughing when it was only 2 frames faster and everybody made you seem like a total idiot for not knowing. it makes dk's uair combo easier (not that i can finish one) which is the primary reason i wanted to learn it. so far i've messed up a few times and just shielded on the platform (and lowered the shield) but i seem to be getting the hang of it.

and pete i can't tell if that's aussie sarcasm or just mean sarcasm.

who can't use a couple frames especially when it's not difficult to get used to?
i think it makes dk uair chain harder to shield drop it since you don't have to z cancel otherwise

main use of shield drop IMO is that you can dash -> shield drop

SSBPete

Smash Lord
That wasn't sarcasm, I think I just explained it poorly.

What I ment is, you can't dash, then drop through a platform unless you shield as you drop. It's extremely useful.

:phone:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
yeah in hindsight that post was incredibly unclear. i meant that pressing z is an extra thing to think about which makes me lose concentration - i wouldn't need to press z at all landing on the platform if i weren't trying to shield drop because of the auto cancel

clubbadubba

Smash Master
its also harder to zcancel after shield drop because you have to release z and press it again, which is something i mess up too often. Probably why I never shield drop. I should start though.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
So i ordered an adapter from http://www.raphnet-tech.com/

Anyone have an estimate on how long the shipping from canada to TX would be? I'm anxious to start playing online again!

also is it difficult to setup, or just plug and play?
Basically...
1. Make sure your adapter is recognized by your operating system when you plug it into a usb port.

if it is not right away, don't fret; but try different usb ports FIRST, THEN figure out your driver situation if need be. [no idea where the drivers are, don't feel like checking at the moment; you, OR GOOGLE should know where the appropriate drivers are]

2. Calibrate your Joystick in windows.

XP/Vista=control panel --> view all/small icons[LIST EVERY AVAILABLE OPTION IN CONTROL PANEL] -->game controllers

WINDOWS7=control panel --> small icons[LIST EVERY AVAILABLE OPTION IN CONTROL PANEL] --> devices and printers --> RIGHT CLICK the game controller then click "GAME CONTROLLER SETTINGS"

when in the "Game Controllers" window, highlight your controller --> properties --> settings tab --> calibrate

follow the onscreen instructions and be sure of your circles by not going to FAST or too slow or else you may get poor joystick angles when it counts during gameplay

3.Map your controller button/joystick definitions.

If 'N-Rage`s Direct-Input8 V2 1.83' is not present in the DROP-DOWN LIST of pj64 ---> options --> settings --> plugin tab --> input(controller) plugin, go HERE click downloads on the left and download "Version2 1.83" (the top-most "Download Here" button) as it is the latest release of the best controller plugin available for pj64

go to options ---> configure controller plugin --> controller 1 --> devices tab and select your adapter in that drop-down list

BEFORE you map joystick definitions, set the deadzone[DEVICES TAB] high and you shouldn't get any weird looking inputs based on your controller being NOT-PERFECT; keep the DEADZONE HIGH while you map button definitions too or else your [possibly] less than perfect joystick will trollishly register joystick inputs as you want to map a button on your controller [this has caused me to rage for short bursts multiple times before discovering keeping deadzone high while mapping helps A LOT]

make sure only controller tab 1 has the "plugged in" box checked and within controller tab 1 uncheck "raw data" box in the tab labelled 'Controller Pak', for the love of ****.

[COLLAPSE="CLICK SHOW TO SEE PIC"]
[/COLLAPSE]

THEN SET 'DEADZONE' to a number,5-10 and 'RANGE' to a number,80-100; these numbers vary by different factors including joystick wear or switching controllers using the same adapter or a myriad of other factors

Imagine your joystick is in the neutral position. DEADZONE determines how small of an angle it takes for your joystick movement to start being read by the emulator [tip-toeing in smash/super mario 64] while RANGE determines the largest angle read by your joystick movement [horizontal air movement in smash/super mario 64 long jump]

now that you're done FULLY MAPPING your controller, you should first click 'SAVE PROFILE' name it whatever the **** you want and saving it wherever the **** you want, THEN BEFORE going online, TEST your SETTINGS to see if your joystick and buttons all work as you'd like them to, if they do, you're set, if they don't...why did you **** that up? [remember to re-save profile if you make any changes]

to answer your question, it is not difficult; even if it was, it is only a 1 time setup

hope this helps, good luck

M!nt

Smash Champion
Make sure your directory is right, File ->Choose Rom Directory and then File->Refresh Rom List.

M!nt

Smash Champion
idk, try to start the game and add them from gameshark codes, or if they are already checked, just uncheck and recheck them.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting out of DK's Cargo Hold. I tried the method it said in the ruleset threat but it's not working well. What am I doing wrong?

B Link

Smash Lord
I just read the ruleset and it says alternate directions and buttons. Well, I've been doing up down not left right and I'm pretty sure I've never been inf grabbed.

What it doesn't say explicitly is you gotta do this FAST. Don't go left a....right b.........left a........like the tick tock tick tock of a clock. It's gotta be as fast as you can go pretty much (you should do like 4-5 a second).

In all honesty I don't even think about it as "left a>rightb" cuz you have to think too much about coordinating your button presses to the direction; just think about pressing a and b one after the other fast and moving the joy stick left/right or up/down fast.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I love doing inf hold on people just to see if they can get out. I swear like only .00001 % can get out.
I can't get out of it I dont think. I dont see how people get out of if SO fast.

Easier to just stay in the hold to me lol :embarrass:

kys

Smash Ace
I've noticed a strong correlation between hand movement speed on the character select screen and ability to get out of cargo hold.

I'm also highly suspicious when I'm playing one of our high pinging Mexican friends and they get out of cargo hold immediately.

Cheaters are everywhere.

I mash every button on the controller furiously and it gets me out pretty fast. I switch up how fast I mash sometimes too, because I feel like the only thing saving you from a gay little DK infinite is their possible lack of reaction. I don't believe anyone if they have some sort of outlined, systematic approach to what buttons they press. There's not enough time.

Top Bottom