• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

joY

Pot splitter
Just downloaded the PJ64K pack for Window's 7 since I updated my OS (finally), it seemed to be running Smash fine until it suddenly refused to open the game. I can't even load the rom anymore for some reason haha.

I redownloaded the client and the rom. I fiddled with the plug-in's. Nothing.

Possible solutions?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Just downloaded the PJ64K pack for Window's 7 since I updated my OS (finally), it seemed to be running Smash fine until it suddenly refused to open the game. I can't even load the rom anymore for some reason haha.

I redownloaded the client and the rom. I fiddled with the plug-in's. Nothing.

Possible solutions?
download the link in my description

kys

Smash Ace
This is the fourth time someone different (I think) has had this problem in the last 3 days. More newcomers maybe?

Sangoku

Smash Master
This is the fourth time someone different (I think) has had this problem in the last 3 days. More newcomers maybe?
This is one of the most common question, after raw data obviously.

Hello, i wanna record videos from kialleria and i dont know how to do it...
There are two ways to do. Either you record directly the screen while playing with a software (Fraps, hypercam, dxtory, ...). Or, the other way is to use PJ64k's built in recording function. Before starting a game (P2P or server, doesn't matter) tick the box called "record game". Once finished, go back to the main kaillera window and choose "playback" where you would choose between server or P2P. Select the game you recorded and the emulator should start with the game you recorded. Note that no video is recorded that way, the files created (.KREC) are only informations for the emulator, such as which button is pressed on which frame. The you need to record the screen again while playing back (with fraps, hypercam, dxtory, ...). If you want to record alone, I don't think PJ64 can allow that without going to a server. Mupen however allows that (utilities, movie, start movie recording). Be carefull with the input settings though, changing emu might change a few things.

The answer is a bit late, hope it will help anyway.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
im curious as to whether anybody here has actively looked for and integrated option selects into their play

for the uninformed, option selects are a fighting-game term where you perform a series of inputs, and the game will change your actions depending on what is possible at the time - they're prevalent in traditional fighters, where many moves have cancel periods upon hitting your opponent etc, but since smash doesn't have much of that, it's a bit harder to think up applicable ones

there are the simple ones, like mashing grab so you'll either perform f-throw or grab again, but people do that unconsciously by just mashing, and often don't recognise that it's an OS

just on theory, these are the (obvious) ones i came up with while procrastinating...most of them work on the principle of multiple commands being usable for throwing opponents when you've grabbed them

R > R - grab and f-throw OR grab and grab again when you miss
R > A - grab and f-throw OR grab and jab when you miss, can input jab-grab if you want
R > jab control stick backwards - grab and b-throw OR whiff grab, dash backwards...you can dash forward too if that matters
R > jab control stick upwards - grab and do nothing OR grab and jump to avoid probable punishment (this would be better if grabs didn't work on aerial characters, i guess)
R > u-smash command - grab and f-throw OR grab and u-smash when you miss
jump command > jab control stick down - jumps normally OR jumps and DI down if you get hit for jumping (especially out of shield)
Z > A > back/forward - shield a weak aerial and shield-grab > throw OR shield any aerial, take a jab, perform dodge roll - only works if they don't pause between aerial and doing the jab, i guess, plus it takes timing...pure theorycraft here, yay

never read anything about OS in smash, and probably for good reason, but playing other fighters ignited my curiosity

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not too applicable to Smash I think. But one fighting game term I would like to see used is "meaty" stuff. I wanna tell people how beast meaty Falcon dairs are for platform tech chasing or something. Also the way I sometimes approach Kirby utilts with Falcon's dair is almost like a crossup lol, except it deals with utilts instead of blocking.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
So I started playing online and found out I get A LOT of lag spikes. Like I had over 500 when the other player had only 5. So I was wondering if there is anyway I can reduce this? like some tips and tricks to get my lagspikes at least down a little bit.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I used 4 different controllers, including one with a renewed joystick and it feels so stiff. I don't get it. Maybe I'm just not made for the n64.

or maybe I should try a hori

Froski

Boss of Bosses
I used 4 different controllers, including one with a renewed joystick and it feels so stiff. I don't get it. Maybe I'm just not made for the n64.

or maybe I should try a hori
The controller is always gonna feel stiff until you're used to it.

Just give it a while.

joY

Pot splitter
The same will most definitely be the case with a Hori. Those joysticks, compared to the classic N64 controller joysticks, take some getting used to. Especially with a high rate of controller inputs like in Smash.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
For the record I've already been using a n64 controller, but my emulator range and deadzone is set different to how it is on console. Console just feels so stiff, can't even dash pivot. Seems like its only just me, cuz everyone else plays so well on console :|

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Why doesnt 64 have its own Character Specific Discussion board anymore? Its really insulting and I think it deserves one. After all its still more competitive than Brawl...
The real question is why we lost our competitive events section.

Could some mod / admin please answer this.

Someone should report my post so they see it lol.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think its because they wanted all the competitive events to be in one location for all three games.

B Link

Smash Lord
He just doesn't jump far enough
Either your controller is too worn out/defective or you need to press it harder/play around with the angle you hit the stick at. At first I could only do it with my right thumb. See Sangoku's technical thread (I forgot what it's called, but he writes about the yoshi test around the beginning).

The Star King

Smash Hero
Make sure you are tap jumping and rolling to the stick to the right ASAP (preferably before Yoshi leaves the ground)

Do most characters have reliable methods for causing inescapable shield breaks, or can someone still typically get out by attempting to roll/jump/grab?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
'inescapable shield breaks' are by definition inescapable

kirby, ness, yoshi have reliable shieldbreaking

luigi and maybe mario, samus have semi-reliable shieldbreaks, often leave the opponent with a tiny shield and can't follow-up

if you're a freak you can get it done with fox

most characters should just hit shield > grab

Sangoku

Smash Master
Every character has shieldbreaks. Look up house/jpleal channel on youtube to have examples. Practically though, what AA said. But Luigi's sh dair uair to upb is reliable. Mario's sh dair uair to usmash works too I believe. Link has zenyore's pseudo shieldbreak, dealing 54/55 shield HP (fair ftilt upb).

:phone:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Sure, but it's still reliable. I think it's like asking does Luigi's sh dair uair combo? And someone answers no because nobody is going to run into it. Or maybe I misunderstood the initial question.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
iirc mario dair uair usmash doesn't break a full shield (may depend on how many hits you get from the dair). but you can just do mario dair uair dair uair to break shield.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
i dusted off the old console and made a combo. i recorded on a video camera (dont worry its really good quality) but for some reason, my computer wont read the video camera disc. im terrible with computers and all that jazz but i have a feeling im missing a required driver. can someone help me?

Top Bottom