• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Yeah, this controller I bought works just fine with that black two-port adapter everyone has.

The build quality actually isn't half-bad, excluding the joystick. The buttons are "tight" and responsive. You might need a tiny bit more force to actually push down the buttons, like the z-trigger and c-buttons, but it's not enough to affect gameplay. Some might actually prefer it since the buttons aren't mushy at all.

The stick... isn't so hot.
It's about as loose as my real controllers (a little better), but beyond the looseness, it's much tighter than my genuine controllers, which makes it very sensitive, and tough to do tilts without buffering. It's strange, since the vertical axis is a little better with the sensitivity, and the horizontal sort of "clicks", meaning you'll be doing a lot of dashing when you mean to walk or turn around. And the friggin' stick isn't convex like a genuine controller, but a little concave. Enough to make it uncomfortable to play with after a half-hour or so. The design also reduces the grip.

---

As for modding and reselling, it's a pretty good idea. I've yet to give it a shot, but it looks fairly simple in theory. The only troublesome areas would be doing a little dremeling to make room for the stick device, but until I get home for Thanksgiving (in a couple weeks), I won't be able to try it out.

Does anybody know where to get cheap, genuine, new GC sticks? VPGames is a reputable site that sells them at $8 a pop, but if I could get them cheaper, I'd probably be able to sell them cheaper.
Would buy...Multiple:)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Alright, I'll make one of these GC/64 fusion controllers and post pics and a review and all that jazz, and if it's good enough and viable to make more, I might consider selling a few.

One thing to note is that I have heard (not exactly confirmed), that a GC stick is more sensitive than a 64 stick, which means these controllers might only be good on an emulator, when you can adjust the range to something comfortable. Again, I have no idea, and won't until I get around to building one.

However, it seems like the general consensus is that people want to save their real 64 controllers for console, and just use something else for online play, so this might be the perfect solution!

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
this is probably a stupid question but how do u host p2p when u are connected straight to the modem like with an ethernet cable. Do u have to just do the firewall stuff or do u still have to forward ports.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Just got my Project64k setup to play online and I've managed to connect to a few games but the lag is just unbearable. Basically, either I receive some graphics error and the entire program freezes up, or we play lagged the entire time. It says I have a ping of 96 and a delay of 6-9 frames, but this cant be right. My computer is extreme new (vista) and my internet connect is 54mbs (wireless). Are there any settings that need to be changed or any ways to reduce this lag?

I've gone through both basic tutorials on how to setup online play so the generic stuff is already taken care of. I don't use full screen mode, and am playing on 800 x 600 resolution even though my computer is 1900x1200 (id like to increase resolution if i can).

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ping is based mainly on how far away you are from the server, not internet speed or computer quality.

try p2p with people near you.

wireless in general gives you laggy play, wired is so much better.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Anyone know why project 64k lag is so temperamental?
i mean i have an upload capacity of 50KB/S and download of 10,000KB/S, and project 64k ,4 player 3 frames takes aroun 6KB/S upload and 12KB/S download. yet as soon as i open a webpage or start msn which uses tiny amounts of bandwidth, it lags...?
is it the crummy packet size or something?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3574.0
cant get my ****ed microchips to work but thats the mod you need.
its for the official n64 controllers, you can get the bulk from japan (including shipping) for $5-$15 each.
also you can buy semi gamecube style replacement sfor n64 analogs at nintendo repair shop, havent tested them myself though.
Oh dear, as much as I love ICs and digital electronics, I think I'm gonna pass on that mod. N64 controllers use photodiodes, whereas nearly every other third party N64 controller uses pots (same as Gamecube sticks), and I really don't wanna deal with the hassle of going between the two, as outlined in that thread. *shivers*

Maybe some day when I have the urge and heart to tear apart an original controller will I try that. Also, more time. And a better understanding of circuitry. Don't let me down, college!

Also, if you could link to exactly where to find those replacement sticks, that'd be great. I can't seem to find them.

the cap

Smash Cadet
Quick Question, Does anyone know where I can read Character specific advanced combo's? I checked the character specific link, but that is just an overview of the characters. I was looking for more advanced combo tactics, gameplay and strategies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Smash Rules!

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Quick Question, Does anyone know where I can read Character specific advanced combo's? I checked the character specific link, but that is just an overview of the characters. I was looking for more advanced combo tactics, gameplay and strategies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Smash Rules!
Those characters specific pages were created fairly recently and thus few or none of them has any advanced combo stuff yet. I am planning on completing one for my fox guide, but it takes a lot of work and effort to get videos/explain difficult processes correctly etc.

As it stands now, if you want to see advanced character combos go watch any of isai's videos on youtube.

Since isai is lacking in the ness or yoshi

Ness search "BBJR" or "Peek"

Yoshi search "Sossy" or "Prince"

all on youtube.

That or just ask someone on kaillera

the cap

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, I will check it out and I look forward to that Fox guide. He is one of my characters i am trying to improve the most right now.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Thanks man, I will check it out and I look forward to that Fox guide. He is one of my characters i am trying to improve the most right now.
Yeah fox was the character I started out trying to get really good competitively. As I got to a certain level I realized the game got less fun due to me only playing one character. Now I play all 12 fairly well.

My fox is probably still my second best, next to the green dinosaur.

If you play online, we should play.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m98/TrekkiesUnite118/Analog2.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m98/TrekkiesUnite118/Analog3.jpg

Just so people know, you don't have to do this mod if you want a Gamecube or PS1 style analog stick on your N64. NintendoRepairShop has "New" N64 analog sticks for $10 and I bought one. When I recieved it I found it was not like an N64 analog stick but was actually more like a Gamecube one. It hooks right in like an original though and works. I popped it open and found that it actually has the same mechanism as the Gamecube/PS1/PS2/Xbox/360 analog stick. So if you want that feel this could be an easier option.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/71-N64-Controllers/1821-New-N64-Controller-Thumbstick-Repair-Part/
Oh ****! It does look much different compared to the picture on the site! I'll try that out as well as the mod. Frankly, I just wanna build something, so I'm gonna go through with the GC replacement. I feel that it will probably end up being a better stick in the end.

Also, how does it handle?

Fatality1337Falcon

Smash Rookie
I want to post my own threads on this site, but the FAQ says I may need permission from a moderator to do that. Can somebody pleases allow me to post threads? I'm trying to start an elite smash bros clan for all forms of smash as I play all smash games. That includes Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Brawl+ , Brawl- , And Project M when it comes out.

DMoogle

A$
I want to post my own threads on this site, but the FAQ says I may need permission from a moderator to do that. Can somebody pleases allow me to post threads? I'm trying to start an elite smash bros clan for all forms of smash as I play all smash games. That includes Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Brawl+ , Brawl- , And Project M when it comes out.
Hmmm, I don't know anything about that. Perhaps you can PM an admin and learn why you're having trouble.

I would think there might be a restriction that makes it impossible for people below a certain post count to be able to post threads, but I definitely saw someone with only 1 post create a thread earlier today, so I'm not sure why you're having problems.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I think he means he wants to make a new thread on the homepage or something?

Which would certainly require a Senator if not an Admin. If you are just talking about posting a thread in an already established section (other than the DH, BRoom, Pokemon Lab, Research Center etc.) you should not need a Moderator's assistance regardless of post count.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
The xbox controller is given credit so much because it is possibly the easiest alternative. From what I have heard, most of the other controllers need an adapter, while the xbox360 wired controller plugs in directly and just needs minimal plugin setup. I have played with the xbox360 controller, and I was happy with the results.

avril

Smash Rookie
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m98/TrekkiesUnite118/Analog2.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m98/TrekkiesUnite118/Analog3.jpg

Just so people know, you don't have to do this mod if you want a Gamecube or PS1 style analog stick on your N64. NintendoRepairShop has "New" N64 analog sticks for $10 and I bought one. When I recieved it I found it was not like an N64 analog stick but was actually more like a Gamecube one. It hooks right in like an original though and works. I popped it open and found that it actually has the same mechanism as the Gamecube/PS1/PS2/Xbox/360 analog stick. So if you want that feel this could be an easier option.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/71-N64-Controllers/1821-New-N64-Controller-Thumbstick-Repair-Part/
nice find

i recently downloaded the VC version of ssb64 and was wondering if there's some kind of way to hook up your n64 controller to your wii via the gamecube ports

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
How to improve at smash quickly?

I'm a pretty new player to smash, and i want to get good, very good. =) I main pikachu. As for right now, I'm not exactly what rank I would be. I can preform no solid combos, other than some utilts into a usmash + downB, or a few utilts into maybe 1 or 2 uairs. For finishing I'll mainly just backgrab, dair or fsmash. The majority of the time , i just shorthop fair or grab.

I just recently learned to shorthop and zcancel, and now dont know where to go. How can i improve? My internet for online play is only really good for 2 hours a day, and i play online as often as i can. but when I cant play online are their any good ways for me to improve, (like trying to 5stock a cpu, or trying to play with handicap 1 etc.)

Basically, for someone who just learned to shorthop and zcancle, how do i implement these new techs and what do i learn next?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Do you used keyboard or controller. They way you just described discovering how to SH reminds me of myself last year when I first discovered it on keyboard. I remember my jaw dropping when I actually tried it out for myself, expecting it not to work, and then seeing myself jump smaller. Quite the epiphany.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Id say just find a way to play more. Play someone = or better and learn as you play

If you can record matches then watch them and review mistakes/mindgames/recovery techs/etc

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Do you used keyboard or controller. They way you just described discovering how to SH reminds me of myself last year when I first discovered it on keyboard. I remember my jaw dropping when I actually tried it out for myself, expecting it not to work, and then seeing myself jump smaller. Quite the epiphany.
I use a controller, and mainly play console, but i recently switched to online and now play only on the emulator with an xbox controller.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Yeah then honestly, do what peek said. I was once under the impression that all I had to do was go into training mode and practice tech skill for 400 hrs and then I would be the best. It did not help that when i got into a match situation, I got really nervous and messed up the stuff I was so consistent at on a training dummy. If anything just play a lot of matches and get down the basics in the training mode, but perfect them in actual matches.

tl;dr? Just play a ****load of matches against people better than you

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Yeah then honestly, do what peek said. I was once under the impression that all I had to do was go into training mode and practice tech skill for 400 hrs and then I would be the best. It did not help that when i got into a match situation, I got really nervous and messed up the stuff I was so consistent at on a training dummy. If anything just play a lot of matches and get down the basics in the training mode, but perfect them in actual matches.

tl;dr? Just play a ****load of matches against people better than you
Ok sounds easy enough. So while I got the attention of this thread, can anyone help me find a way to shorthop more consistently? I've been practicing tons but still can't exactly get it. What part of your thumb do you use to press the button, and what button do you press? Is there any ways to make it easier, like increasing or decreasing the controller sensitivity (not by a mod but through controller settings or a macro to do it)?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I had tons of trouble shorthopping in Melee, until some video online showed an incredibly easy way: slide your finger across the button. So you press down on it at an angle, and slide away (preferably toward an attack button for faster attacks). You'll want to end up grazing the edge of the button, spending as little time as possible on it.

If anybody's ever played Starfox Adventures, they know that the test of strength is really hard to do just by tapping the button, and so one of the better strategies was to use a spoon, and rapidly slide it back and forth over the button.

Same principle with shorthopping.

Eventually, it just becomes second nature, and you can get away with simply pressing it quickly; but for now, I'd suggest this sliding method.

dedepouilleur

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

If it is possible, I would like to get old tierl lists! Of course, I found the last tier list but not the formers lists (and I looked for anywhere)

Thanks a lot for your help!

and sorry for my bad english ^^

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
@ dede the old tier lists are on smash wiki. The only previous ssb64 smash tier list was made by gamefaqs and was put out fairly hastily iirc.

@ hammer yes.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I have a question.

If smash64 turned out to be like a 'traditional fighter' with nintendo characters but with certain tweaks, what do you think it'd be like today? would you play it?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I think it would not have been able to hold my attention for longer than 2 days.

I stayed with smash because I was immediately intrigued by individuality of the fighter. I really do not like traditional fighters, and only gave smash a chance because it seemed like it would be a decent twist on the genre.

Never did I know that it would become my all time favorite game.

Top Bottom