• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Some B moves do double damage on shields, like jiggs' pound and samus up-b. Probably a specific modifier vs shields (see: Fan).

Might be more to it, but whatever.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think it's ~50% for most moves, and some moves like Samus's screw attack and Puff's pound are designed to do extra damage to shields. This is mostly speculation on my part though.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Looking at Melee, it appears that certain moves are designed to eat away at shields; just look at Marth's B move. Maybe the same applies to SSB64? I honestly don't think percent has anything to do with it, but that each move has a set shield-diminishing property. Knockback might also be a factor in how much shield is taken away.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Actually after reflecting on what star king and cheeseball said, it makes sense.

With any sort of a move 50% is the breaking point more or less while some B moves are just specifically designed to take out shield better. I tried all the shield break in JPleals videos and they all turned out to be 50% or higher when done correctly.

This also brings me to the conclusion that yoshi only has to hit 13/14 kick on his dair to break a shield instead of all 14 like most people though (what a discovery, IK).

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think he's asking if the natural slow shrinking that occurs while a shield isn't being hit is included when a shield is in shield stun.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Oh. I remember seeing a post from ant-d a while back that said that during shield stun the shield does not shrink. So I am assuming that if the shield has any time to shrink it is because you are not doing a legit shield break combo.

Of course if the opponent is holding his shield a bit before you start doing your combo then you have a bit of an advantage.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Actually after reflecting on what star king and cheeseball said, it makes sense.

With any sort of a move 50% is the breaking point more or less while some B moves are just specifically designed to take out shield better. I tried all the shield break in JPleals videos and they all turned out to be 50% or higher when done correctly.

This also brings me to the conclusion that yoshi only has to hit 13/14 kick on his dair to break a shield instead of all 14 like most people though (what a discovery, IK).
I think it's a bit over 50%, like if you look at one of the Yoshi combos, it's three fairs + one jab. Hitting a shield doesn't stale a move, so the three fairs cause 54% of damage, which apparently isn't enough. The jab causes 3% damage, so I think it's between 54% and 57%. That means you do indeed need all of Yoshi's dair.

More evidence: The second shield breaker in JPleal's Samus vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH4d-L7P_IY) is dair (14%) + 2 up-angled f-smashes (2*20%) + jab (3%), so it's between 54-57%. Yoshi's dair makes me think 54-56%.

EDIT: The second Fox shieldbreaker combo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0q_gFGnZCo) uses 11 shines, which is 55% damage at 5% damage each, so I think 55 is the percentage that needs to be reached for a break.

The Star King

Smash Hero
See, it's true the Australians said that but I think they messed up a little (no offense). It might have been damaged a little before the Samus up-smash. A shield begins decreasing in size immediately so you would have to hit it on like the first frame it comes out. It basically has to be TASed for it to be reliable.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
ahaha, this is true.

I trust you more than them anyway star king, you are pretty knowledgeable.

Im glad there is someone of your skill level out there who uses a kb

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
ahaha, this is true.

I trust you more than them anyway star king, you are pretty knowledgeable.

Im glad there is someone of your skill level out there who uses a kb
;_;

...on another note, id also include Nintendude in that category as well. And Nephiros if you are going to a long time back

For the 50 damage thing. It then makes sense that Yoshi's d-air is an autoshield break on the second to last hit as it deals 52 up to then.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
;_;

...on another note, id also include Nintendude in that category as well. And Nephiros if you are going to a long time back

For the 50 damage thing. It then makes sense that Yoshi's d-air is an autoshield break on the second to last hit as it deals 52 up to then.
I said star king because he had posted before me.

There are plenty of good kb players online.

Nephiros
and Nintendude of course

even you too koro :D.

.....wait, should someone make a keyboard player tier list?

I think that would be interesting.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Did you not read any of my previous posts? >_> Pretty sure it's 55%. And Yoshi's dair requires all hits to shieldbreak.

@felipe we're saying for a moves, some special moves have extra power vs. shields.

Not very interested in a keyboard tier list, why does a player's choice of controls matter that much? Besides, I don't know what control scheme most players use.

dandan

Smash Lord
we need more info, are you on campus, are you using wifi?
can you do "ping [server ip] -n 30" in commandline and post the resualts?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
****ty internet, bro. It sucks. I'm in the same boat.

Try running a diagnostic test to a server in Illinois: http://ndt.anl.gov:7123/

Look for the network congestion line, and some information about packets. Maybe post the results here. Basically if you're on a shared network, it's possible that other people are clogging up the lines, and packets are getting lost, resulting in massive lag spikes.

Your best bet is to play at obscure times when nobody else is on when network usage is low. Wired vs. wireless shouldn't make a difference, so long as the connection is stable.

Otherwise, there's really nothing you can do about it... :( Try downloading Game Booster to speed things up even more, but that doesn't really do much.

dandan

Smash Lord
the problem is wifi (kaillera cannot really handle it) and well, 4 others download/surfing.
the best solution i have for you is trying to connect your pc with a rj45 cable (network cable) and try using is in off hours (make sure noone else is leaving torrents on).
if you see you are still having lag problems in those optimal conditions, then we can write those reasons off and move to look into other causes. at the moment this seems the most logical cause.

by the way, you can get a 20m (over 60 feet) network cable for like 3-4$, so it might be a good investment.
if you are having problems leaving it plugged it always, just plug it in whenever you feel like playing.
and if the router is further away, that goes along with the "wifi is the main cause" theory.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Places to get 64 Controllers

All of my 64 joysticks are either broken or really loose. Just buying from ebay isn't good because most of the time the joystick will be really used and loose. Most 3rd party controllers that they still make new are either crappy or break easily (like my gamesharks).

Where do you guys get your controllers from?

Olikus

Smash Champion
You can get okay ones at eBay, but you probably have to pay more if you want the real deal. But getting an almost unused 64 controller for not so much money, shouldn't be impossible at all. It depends much on the seller as well. Just browse all the pages for Nintendo 64 controller and you shall find your precious.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I got three of 'em off of Ebay. Great price, near perfect sticks. Just look for the ones with proper grammar and a guy who seems like he knows what he means when he says "Very firm joystick." stuff like "Snaps right back into place" is good too.

The Star King

Smash Hero
EB games carries "used but new condition" N64 controllers around here.

The EB games around here has been sold out for ages though :(
Yeah the EB games around my area was put out of business by Gamestop, which sucks because EB games was way better.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
The EB games in my area was bought out by gamestop but then moved 2 blocks away. I never know which one to go to -_-

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I've had enough with ****ty sticks (i.e. the N64 stick), so I'm working on modding in a Gamecube stick into a third party controller. It doesn't look too complicated, and they both use potentiometers with equal resistances, so it should just be a matter of taking one stick out and throwing the other in.

dandan

Smash Lord
is the adapter working well with the 3rd party controller?
if it does, if i was you, i would buy them, mod them and resell them. i think a lot of smashers here would be interested/ (i think they sell sole gc sticks).

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Lol the reason the controller gets so loose is because after playing so much your basically grinding your controller analog. Ever notice the white dust around the analog stick. Loose joys don't bother me much since I'm use to it

avril

Smash Rookie
i'm having trouble running project64k. whenever i load a ROM, it crashes.

i downloaded the emulator from the index page

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
is the adapter working well with the 3rd party controller?
if it does, if i was you, i would buy them, mod them and resell them. i think a lot of smashers here would be interested/ (i think they sell sole gc sticks).
Yeah, this controller I bought works just fine with that black two-port adapter everyone has.

The build quality actually isn't half-bad, excluding the joystick. The buttons are "tight" and responsive. You might need a tiny bit more force to actually push down the buttons, like the z-trigger and c-buttons, but it's not enough to affect gameplay. Some might actually prefer it since the buttons aren't mushy at all.

The stick... isn't so hot.
It's about as loose as my real controllers (a little better), but beyond the looseness, it's much tighter than my genuine controllers, which makes it very sensitive, and tough to do tilts without buffering. It's strange, since the vertical axis is a little better with the sensitivity, and the horizontal sort of "clicks", meaning you'll be doing a lot of dashing when you mean to walk or turn around. And the friggin' stick isn't convex like a genuine controller, but a little concave. Enough to make it uncomfortable to play with after a half-hour or so. The design also reduces the grip.

---

As for modding and reselling, it's a pretty good idea. I've yet to give it a shot, but it looks fairly simple in theory. The only troublesome areas would be doing a little dremeling to make room for the stick device, but until I get home for Thanksgiving (in a couple weeks), I won't be able to try it out.

Does anybody know where to get cheap, genuine, new GC sticks? VPGames is a reputable site that sells them at $8 a pop, but if I could get them cheaper, I'd probably be able to sell them cheaper.

Top Bottom