• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Sometimes i ponder myself wondering why sakurai decided to use the smash64 style.

He could've just gone traditional and gimmick his way into the hearts of 90's arcade junkies.

and another i ponder myself is that, did sakurai know that the style of smash64 was more then just party-play? i suppose that can be answered with "lol zcancel" but smash64 takes alot of the fighting out of the fighting while staying a fighting game.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I like the spontaneity of it. You must perform the combos one move at a time, and there are so many options for linking together different moves. I hate traditional fighters and often dismiss them as "button mashers" (get at me). I've beaten people at Soulcalibur (with Link no less) by just smashing my hand all over the controller. Not my idea of fun.

#HBC | ѕoup

yeah, he put combos into a more simplier way;not having to remember consecutive button presses.

while people might argue that's a bad thing, i really find that a good thing.
It can get just as complex as conescutive button pressing, but stays original.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
He did know that there was z-cancel tech and DI.

The game is quite good at being a party game though, I remember I had endless hours of fun spamming items at my friends back in the day. The only reason I was able to get better was from an advanced technique list and some Isai videos.

Back in 1999, there was no swf and hardly any places to go to find advanced technique lists. It was originally posted on the Japenese website upon the game's release, but I dont think a translation was given right away to the american users. A good chunk of time was discovering and applying techniques that were previously unknown to even the developers (I dont think yoshi's parry was planned etc.)

At the time of its release, I doubt it ever got very competitive and was mainly used as an effective part game. Regardless, kudos for making a game that is fun for beginners and even more fun for experts.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I've never seriously played any "traditional" fighting games.

But I do like the platform/stage aspect of smash. It adds a lot of variety that your usual 2d fighter can't have. I'm surprised no one has tried to copy it.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I remember hearing a rumor back in my gullible youth that playstation had the idea first but then they canceled it lol

Yeah the platforming separates smash from all other fighters. A fighter is defined as "a video game genre where the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent" yet these stages can be huge, and characters can hit each other from miles away and soar ridiculous distances. Sometimes you can't even see your opponent because they are off-screen lol.

ballin, how about this piece of work?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I like the spontaneity of it. You must perform the combos one move at a time, and there are so many options for linking together different moves. I hate traditional fighters and often dismiss them as "button mashers" (get at me). I've beaten people at Soulcalibur (with Link no less) by just smashing my hand all over the controller. Not my idea of fun.
Don't judge traditional fighters with 3D fighters, honestly.

2D fighters are better.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Hi everybody!! i'm trying to load a ssb on Project64k but every time i do it a little window pops up saying:

Project64k.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I just don't know what to do about it, any idea will help, thanks.
by the way i have the Windows 7 Ultimate

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Hi everybody!! i'm trying to load a ssb on Project64k but every time i do it a little window pops up saying:

What video plugin u using ?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord

Ya gotta use Project64kVE.

(vista edition)

Also works with Win7.

dandan

Smash Lord
I had some difficulties with ve that I have not with 0.13, I still prefer the old one, and getting it to work is really easy, and well, as you can see in my post, I have linked to a working pre-prepared folder :D

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
that is just wrong.

you can use the normal pj as long as you renamed the plugins, i am guessing that if you are running win 7 ult, you should be able to run glide, so here is my emu folder, give it a shot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3fq9adq06mrxf4q#1
ok, had to replace some plugins in order to make it work but now it's working, anyway i don't get the "start netplay" option to be available...
why is that??
I'm using:
Video (graphics) plugin: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
Audio (sound) plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
Input (controller) plugin: Jabo's DirectInput7 1.40

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Dont worry about it. I dont think the mods usually infract people with less than 50 posts for things like that.

Still, you didnt quite beat Soup's record of a quadruple post. That takes determination.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Dont worry about it. I dont think the mods usually infract people with less than 50 posts for things like that.

Still, you didnt quite beat Soup's record of a quadruple post. That takes determination.
wait, what happen if i reach 4 or more posts in a row??
tell me so i can be careful.......

asianaussie

Smash Hero
double posting without a good reason is apparently worthy of infractions

i think that's dumb, personally, especially if the posts are a day or more apart

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Well, if you post four times in a row you will have tied Soup in the *wow, I dont know how forums work* contest.

5 posts in a row will bring the home the gold and will bring about the new age of facepalm
what's a facepalm?

/srs
Nothing really. It is stated in the global rules that you should avoid double posting whenever possible. This obviously implies that triple, quadruple, quintuple etc. posting is even worse. If you are new to the forum you are not usually infracted for the first offense. If you intentionally double post (for something that is not warranted "a good reason") or forget to inform a mod of your mistake, you will be infracted. If you notify a mod after the incident happens they will merge the posts for you.

As I said, the record in the smash64 section (as much as I know anyway) is 4 posts in a row by accident by soupamario.

Olikus

Smash Champion
when there are "tournaments", or ladder challenges, how do the people play. Do you actually drive to somewhere or is it done online? (for ssb64 tournies and ladders)
Cool avatar uncle!

If you see on the competitive section for smash64 its stands online or console in front of the thread name. So we have both. Sadly its very few console tournament, and if it happen mostly nearby people attend. But ofc if you want you can take train, bus, car, plain, helicopter, horses, swim, run or crawl.

Battlecow

Play to Win
The ladder and most of the tournaments are online. There aren't any that I know of in Texas, but if you felt like heading over to California, you could get some console action.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
So I just started working on djc, and it seems that ness's djc's are a lot easier to do than yoshi's. The ness djc's all seem to have a constant timing where as the yoshi ones are all different. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the way it is?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Yoshi's are all the same as far as I know...are you using the stick to djc or something lol

Ness's work because you can just go fast...there isn't any real 'timing' behind it until you reach the level of f-air chains or something.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
yoshi's djcs each have their own timings, ness's you can prettymuch just do as fast as you want

in general people use shorthop button for both jumps in yoshi's djc nair/bair/fair/dair

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Oh, the timing is based off how fast it takes a hitbox to come out, sorry. DJC N-Air is faster than DJC B-Air, for example. You have to give Yoshi some room off the ground before attacking so the second jump's initial dip won't prevent a hitbox from coming out, especially in the cases of U-Air, F-Air and B-Air.

My bad.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hey all, I'm sure you get questions like this all the time but here goes.

I already have Project 64, and it's awesome, but I want to get 64K so I can play online. So, I've tried every link that's been provided to me, but I always get the same error:

Thanks in advance for helping. ;)

#HBC | ѕoup

oh kuz,

don't make me go for 5.

also, other forums don't really enforce the double posting rule.
that being said

i am still the champion.

edit:

krazyglue, it seems your on Windows 7, perhaps you should try the windows 7 version of pj64, lemme go get the link.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
if that is the link to your p64k folder, dandan, I already tried giving it to him and he gets the same response.

inb4 it actually works now

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i think he is actually missing the kailera.dll. He needs that specific file

Download the project64k file from the main "download" thread, get the kaileraclient.dll out of it, put it in your folder and delete the rest.

The error you get if you have windows 7 + kailera.dll but the old driver is a graphics error, that is caused by the graphics plugin not loading properly on Vista or Windows 7.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol why are you guys making him download an entire new folder? Just download kaillera.dll and put it in the same folder as PJ64K.

Top Bottom