• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sedda

Smash Champion
try everything else that you havent mentioned. get off the ledge and fair while still staying right near the ledge so you can grab it right away and see what the other person does. maybe stay near the ledge and then jump off (diagonally) and learn the timing of the invincibility and throw a back air out or something. Falcon doesnt want to go near the ledge against Kirby, unless theyre up by a couple of stocks or w/e. If you get a hit near the ledge by baiting an approach off of invincibility, you should be able to take a stock.(all of this against falcon)
then again I don't use kirby, so yeah. just suggesting different stuff you could do xD

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
When i go on the ledge vs falcon, the falcon just waits on the side platform for me to make a move. If I get up or get up roll, he plat drop down airs accordingly. If i ledge hop, he plat drop back airs.

It sounds super silly, but it's really effective against me. I'm not good enough to counter.

What should i do once i'm on the ledge?
regrab the ledge and test his reflexes

Madao

There was a TXT included in Madao's attack calculator that gave a list of moveset data, but the link to the calculator states that the project has been deleted/moved. Does anyone have this file?
I reuploaded it. My list is incomplete though, because it was intended mostly for damage & knockback calculation. So I did not include variables like hitbox size. Since I skipped some variables, I also skipped hitboxes that were identical based on the variables I did include.

Too bad there's no complete list. Toomai's is more in depth than mine, but he's missing projectile and throw data. I never got around to finishing interpreter, to generate all the hitbox data for each character and each region.

SoulOfKhaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoulKhaos
So there is that port forwarding guide for Pj64kVE on the forum I wanted to use but the links for the P2P files are dead. Someone know where I can found the files or if there is an up to dated thread about this?

Shears

Smash Master
How do you fast fall through platforms in fall special? If this isn't a thing then disregard this question but I feel like I see foxs do it all the time. Do you simply just fast fall or what?

Sangoku

Smash Master
You need to have down input when reaching a platform's height. This means you can:
-Fast fall and not go through a platform (fast fall, release down before you reach the platform)
-Fast fall and go through the platform (fast fall and keep down pressed while you reach the platform)
-Not fast fall and not go through the platform (do nothing)
-Not fast fall and go through the platform (buffer down, or press it lightly/slowly to have it while you reach the platform)

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
What's the best way for Kirby to recover vs Falcon and Fox?

Low definitely doesn't work for me. Middle is super difficult. And i always get back aired if i go high.

Sorry for always asking so many questions. :063:

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Is there a difference between stick jump and c jump in the air? I know grounded stick jump goes higher but does it also go higher in the air too? I was always under the impression that the second jump was at a fixed height.

Sensei

Smash Lord
What's the best way for Kirby to recover vs Falcon and Fox?

Low definitely doesn't work for me. Middle is super difficult. And i always get back aired if i go high.

Sorry for always asking so many questions. :063:
I like to fair during each puff second jump. The ideal position is to be higher. You have to be tricky in your movement by doing fast falls and fake outs (jump backwards and back air).

Shears

Smash Master
So I was playing around in training mode for like the first time and I was practicing jab grab with pikachu. Was it well known that for jab grab you don't actually have to grab? You just push A to jab and then immediately after press Z and it cancels the jab straight into grab. I always thought you had to jab and then do a grab and it seemed way to fast for me so I never used jab grabs before. I thought the sequence was A->A+Z within a couple frames of each other but really its just A->Z. Was this common knowledge or am I just an idiot? I guess thats my question.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I figured it was known but when I read up on jab grabs it wasn't made that obvious to me. There was all this frame data nonsense and all someone needed to say was just press A then press Z really quickly. Normally you shield grab with Z then press A. Just do it backwards. You can literally just press A, hold it down, then press Z. Its so easy. It doesn't even need to be that quick either. They made it seem like it was really hard and a 1 frame window from frame 3 of the jab and all this crazy talk. Its silly how simple it really is.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Because nobody in his right mind would think about pressing a then a+z. Just press a then r or a then z. So yeah that's old news and yeah jab grab is easy.

Shears

Smash Master
I thought it was a then a+z because I thought I needed to perform a jab and then a grab but you just need to jab and then shield. I can't remember where I read about it but it should be explained more simply. Reverse shield grab input is jab grab input.

Sangoku

Smash Master
But who in his right mind grabs with a+z? You don't know about the r button? If you're complaining about how I explained jab grab in my thread, then this thread is not a (sorry to say) beginner's guide. I was trying to explain the mechanics behind the move, not the easiest way to do it. Either way everytime someone has asked about how to jab grab (which you could have done if you had trouble with it), I always said to press a and z/r as if you tried to press them at the same time, but with a slightly ahead.

Shears

Smash Master
I usually use R and usually use Z+R since I don't want it to do that funny thing where it shields sometimes instead of grabbing when you press R. I never practiced jabgrab before so I was really surprised with its simplicity. I guess the answer to my question is, yes I'm an idiot.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Well to be fair when I first saw it in videos I was impressed, and then when I tried I was also suprised by how easy it is. Yet it still looks cool and makes my opponents think I know what I'm doing :shades:

Maliki

Smash Ace
What's up guys.
I'm curious about stale moves. I know little about the subject and would like to know a lot more about it.

id like to know things like what is a stale move exactly, how does a move become stale, When does a move stops being stale.

Thanks for any info.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
So to preserve my control sticks till I can find some grease and glue to fix them with I've started playing on the VC with a GC controller, since then I've found it really tough to to pivot with Fox and Falcon without dash dancing, is this the controller or the VC or could someone run me through the reasons this happens?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Different deadzone/range + different resistance on the analog stick compared to the N64 analog stick (changing some nuances when you try to pivot)

Last edited:

Nixernator

Smash Ace
How frustrating I usually cheat my pivots by letting it snap back to neutral and thats fine on the 64 controller, urgh guessing I have to learn to actually return it to neutral properly?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to minimize the lag Link receives when he catches his boomerang?

Will a well timed shield work?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
You can't shield once you're in the lag to cancel it though, right? You have to shield before it hits you?

And will flashing your shield at the right moment really be quicker than just eating the lag?

Also, i don't really know how to not catch it lol. Sometimes it comes back to me and sometimes it doesn't.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the animation doesn't start if you're in shield. That was like the first (semi) AT I saw Isai do in a video :p

And if you just jump when it's close to you it'll go flying past you.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Ok so Yoshi's roll is different. I know that at either the beginning or the end of his roll he's like less likely to be hit or something. Maybe his hurt box doesn't show as much between rolls? Like when Yoshi spams roll it's a lot harder to him than it is the other characters.

Lol I'm not crazy right? This is a thing?

Will someone explain to me whats going on because i don't get it at all lol.

Edit: I'm not talking about the parry frame(s???) Yoshi gets when he first puts up his shield. The invincibility I'm talking about should be one of the blue hurt boxes.

Last edited:

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Just compare the move for two characters and it'll become obvious.

Yoshi

DK

Last edited:
Top Bottom