• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
Alright I see what you mean. In fact I was thinking about Pika-Jiggly. I feel Pika should be on the top plat as well and I don't think he has such a hard time stealing the spot. Am I wrong? What about Falcon-Jiggly?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Uh I think Pika vs Puff is weird. Unless I'm playing like a super aggro Puff or I'm in a really right spot, I like to be below Puff. Rarely is there a moment when I think Pika should use the top platform as his "main ground." If I go up there I'm going to camp.

I think Pika has a huge advantage vs Puff when he's below her. So IMO if you're playing a puff that chills up top, let her do her thing (unless she's like using all her jumps on the top platform to the point where you can't even approach, then I'd go take control of the platform). When I play a puff that hangs out on the ground/side platforms I like to maneuver my way around the ground and side platforms too (occasionally I'll jump up to the top) and try to bait a Nair. I like to be evenly leveled with her in the neutral and then once I get Puff hopping around, I like to get underneath her and barrage her with Uairs.

I don't think it's a good idea for anybody to be above falcon, so I doubt a lot of Puffs will hang around up top. As far as the neutral goes, I think that Falcon needs to overwhelm Puff with his vertical airspeed. I don't think he should hang around in one spot in this match up. If Falcon gets predictable it's over. I think he should constantly bounce back and fourth between the ground, side platforms, and top platform while constantly throwing out FF aerials. Although, I do think the top platform should be where he "bounces" to most often lol. Once falcon gets in on Puff I don't think it's too hard for him to take the stock.

I play the match up kind of similar with Pika and Falcon. I guess I just hop around and try to play faster with Falcon. Oh and I go to the top more with him.

Again, I'm not like a master of these characters and I have no idea how competitively good Puffs play. This is just my experience from playing my friends lol.

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Uh I think Pika vs Puff is weird. Unless I'm playing like a super aggro Puff or I'm in a really right spot, I like to be below Puff. Rarely is there a moment when I think Pika should use the top platform as his "main ground." If I go up there I'm going to camp.

I think Pika has a huge advantage vs Puff when he's below her. So IMO if you're playing a puff that chills up top, let her do her thing (unless she's like using all her jumps on the top platform to the point where you can't even approach, then I'd go take control of the platform). When I play a puff that hangs out on the ground/side platforms I like to maneuver my way around the ground and side platforms too (occasionally I'll jump up to the top) and try to bait a Nair. I like to be evenly leveled with her in the neutral and then once I get Puff hopping around, I like to get underneath her and barrage her with Uairs.

I don't think it's a good idea for anybody to be above falcon, so I doubt a lot of Puffs will hang around up top. As far as the neutral goes, I think that Falcon needs to overwhelm Puff with his vertical airspeed. I don't think he should hang around in one spot in this match up. If Falcon gets predictable it's over. I think he should constantly bounce back and fourth between the ground, side platforms, and top platform while constantly throwing out FF aerials. Although, I do think the top platform should be where he "bounces" to most often lol. Once falcon gets in on Puff I don't think it's too hard for him to take the stock.

I play the match up kind of similar with Pika and Falcon. I guess I just hop around and try to play faster with Falcon. Oh and I go to the top more with him.

Again, I'm not like a master of these characters and I have no idea how competitively good Puffs play. This is just my experience from playing my friends lol.
do you have any videos?

i'm interested in seeing you play

Sangoku

Smash Master
do you have any videos?

i'm interested in seeing you play

Since when do you watch others' videos?

And to answer you Chaos, almost all the people I play have a strategy that revolves around grabs almost exclusively (you know, with a lot of initial dashes and staying away), maybe that's why I feel the need to stay on the top platform.

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Warning Received
Removed image of a bald dude raising his middle finger.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Read the Smash64 index but still have questions

Can you tech the stage when recovering like in Melee?
Can you jump cancel in this game like in melee? Like running upsmash?
Is Captain falcon's D-air a spike or meteor smash? how can i survive it?

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
You can't wall tech if you DI into the stage while recovering, you can only tech on the ground.

You can cancel dashes with jump and therefore with up smash too.

There's no meteor cancelling in this game, therefore there's no reliable way to avoid death. If you're close enough to the edge you might be able to DI (read "SDI", as there's no Melee DI in 64) onto the stage.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
And to answer you Chaos, almost all the people I play have a strategy that revolves around grabs almost exclusively (you know, with a lot of initial dashes and staying away), maybe that's why I feel the need to stay on the top platform.
Wait, really? So you and your Euro friends have like your own little grab heavy metagame going on?

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's really interesting. I often wonder if there are regional metagame differences among high level players. For example, other than the stage difference, do you think that the Peruvians and Japanese play the game differently? Do you think that they have two completely different metagames? If so, and they probably do, that's so cool to me.

Anyway, if your friends are spamming grabs, why don't you just approach them with SH aerials? Seems like it would work.

Edit: And I use the word "friend" loosely. I understand that a lot of you play online and might not consider your opponents your friends.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Wait, really? So you and your Euro friends have like your own little grab heavy metagame going on?

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's really interesting. I often wonder if there are regional metagame differences among high level players. For example, other than the stage difference, do you think that the Peruvians and Japanese play the game differently? Do you think that they have two completely different metagames? If so, and they probably do, that's so cool to me.

Anyway, if your friends are spamming grabs, why don't you just approach them with SH aerials? Seems like it would work.

Edit: And I use the word "friend" loosely. I understand that a lot of you play online and might not consider your opponents your friends.
Of course there are regional differences. From my experience, European players are a lot less centered around combos. But I'm not saying the metagame is too different, it's just that most people's playstyle is to grab a lot. SH aerial doesn't work well because they would just dash away. And if I try to run past them before SH, then they react and grab without having to dash back. Anyway I'm not saying SH would never work, but they have so much more room for errors with their grab than I do with my aerials that it's safer to sit on the top plat.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious as to what you think the specific differences are.
Main difference is Peru is comically bad at edge guarding. Like, I could edgeguard a kirby as falcon better than tavo could.
Lots of simple stuff they dont do like edge guarding a yoshi with falcon up b. Their entire metagame is camping in the tent, doing tent combos. Watch papacho vs gerson. Oh and tons of pika dittos. They like to upsmash with pikachu a lot because it kills super early ( dreamland has a higher ceiling). They have very little experience vs yoshi, DK, jiggly. They can escape any kind of pressure by just running away, since both the edges of hyrule actually give the majority of characters a defensive advantage. They dont know where or how to hide on dreamland.

Obviously I tried to teach them.

In Japan, if you get grabbed or hit, there is a super high probability you will die. So the Japanese are extremely good at not getting hit. For example, it took me 6 hours to kill jouske 1 time. It took me 6 minutes to kill Gerson once (in pika dittos, a character I don't play). Japan is superior at spacing, and most have a knowledge of advantageous stage positions for character matchups that surpasses all the knowledge in north america about it (cause no one here even cared about it till recently). No one in peru even cares about advantageous stage positions on Hyrule. Probably only gerson knows about them in detail. Like, they didn't know that the left side is mejor for kirby vs falcon/fox. They probably think staying there is a sign of "being scared", which hurts their pride. The south american pride is their biggest obstacle in preventing them from getting better at the game. They need more game theory lol.
Stage advantages are so useful in hyrule, it is straight up dumb not to exploit them. I 4 stocked papitas in tournament pools because of the spot i picked with kirby vs his yochi. And he probably has one of the top 2 or 3 yoshis in peru lol.

Sedda

Smash Champion
What are some things that could explain ridiculous amounts of lag spikes while playing online?

Even if I play while nobody else is at home, lan, all that jazz, I keep lagging. I don't think I can play online anymore. I can count the number of sets I've played without lag since I came back

Last edited:

Madao

What are some things that could explain ridiculous amounts of lag spikes while playing online?

Even if I play while nobody else is at home, lan, all that jazz, I keep lagging. I don't think I can't play online anymore. I can count the number of sets I've played without lag since I came back
Who's your isp? It could be them or possibly just your hardware (modem & router). I remember my modem eventually caused me problems.

I'd also go on the modem's page to look at the statistics.

Sedda

Smash Champion
what should i be looking for? isp is time mother****ing warner cable. the modem is relatively new (couple of months)

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Start > Enter dxdiag and hit enter > take a screenshot of the window that comes up.

This will let me know that your computer isn't a toaster and not the cause of your lag.

Once we have that ruled out we can completely focus on your network causing your lag

Sedda

Smash Champion
DXDIAG.png

no toaster. I bought this laptop for more or less everything since I move back and forth between NC and Panama.

I should also say that I used to play on something much worse than this but no lag.

Last edited:

Madao

Lol now I feel kinda biased ;/ . I assumed you had DSL, because I had a terrible experience with AT&T. Then a few months ago I finally upgraded to Time Warner.

Cable internet is a mixed bag of results imo. Overall I like it a lot better, just because of higher bandwidth. I remember at my friend's house, years ago while on their computer, I would d/c when people called their house. So phones and cable tv can even effect your internet, but it all depends on your setup. I've even heard people say they lag on rainy days lol.

Anyway, I'd like you to elaborate on this net issue. Is it high ping, or low bandwidth, or both? Also how often do you d/c from the internet?

For the modem page, for me it's 192.168.100.1. Idk what it would be for you. Try googling it, if this one doesn't work for you. What kind of modem and router do you have?

Sedda

Smash Champion
well I haven't really run into any issues disconnecting from the internet. Do you mean how often do I willingly disconnect? I guess whenever I'm not home.

The issue is not high ping. I assume the issue is bandwidth (I can't technology so let me know where I'm wrong). The lag spikes occur in the same fashion that they would if someone else was eating up my bandwidth, like whenever I'm playing online and my gf gets home and she starts streaming stuff on her phone.

I used to run into the whole phone messing with the internet issue when I lived with my dad for a few months. We only pay for internet here tho. No cable tv or phone.

modem 2.png

Does this mean anything to you?

Madao

That picture doesn't show much, although the Docsis thing is important. So it was worth posting. I was going to recommend you buy a new Docsis 3 modem, but it appears your modem is already Docsis 3. One reason to buy your own modem is that they charge you monthly to use the modem they lease you. So within 2 years, you'll already be saving money.

That's great that you don't have to worry about phone or tv messing with your net, so I think you're covered, hardware wise. It's still possible that your modem is the cause, but I would make sure to check other things before resorting to such measures.

When i asked about d/cing, I just meant while you're using the internet. I myself d/c quite often lol. Good thing I'm not into online games atm.

It's strange that you're having such problems when everything else seems good. I'd be of more help if I was more familiar with cable internet. I did most of my research, back when I had AT&T DSL.

I've never played on server before (couldn't even connect properly lol..), but I know p2p does not use much bandwidth. Like 5KB/s upload and download, iirc. That's <= a typical skype call. I have a hard time believing bandwidth is the real problem. Only time I ever lag my siblings is when I download stuff at max speed (using download manager). I doubt your gf's phone would use up all the bandwidth, especially when sites like youtube try and limit bandwidth. I'm not suggesting that it won't slow you down, but I feel that there's a high chance something else is wrong.

For modem stats, you should find out things like Signal to Noise Ratio. Also, you may want to call the Time Warner and talk to them about it. They may help you fix the problem.

Also, you mind posting a speedtest.net picture? Try and pick a good server close to your location.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
speedtest isn't that useful. Yeah it'll tell you if your ISP is ripping you off but unless you get numbers that are ridiculously off, it won't tell you much.

sedda, try pingtest instead. Run it like 3 or 4 times and post the results. That'll give us a better view of how bad your lagspikes are.

Sedda

Smash Champion

It wouldn't calculate the packet loss thingy. I temporarily disabled my firewall since it asked me to, but that didn't do it.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
hmm in what way? hitstun wore off cuz i fast fell right past the ledge despite definitely being close enough to grab it. and i fast fell from well above it. like, even with side plats

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
that does not help me in any way sangoku

i vaguely remember some weird thing too, where if fox single hit uairs a recovering falcon, he can't ff and grab the ledge, he'll just miss

Sangoku

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to, I was joking.

You need to be a little more specific. Is it reproducible? Do you have a vid of it?

I'm not sure I understand your Falcon example either, you mean he can fast fall but won't grab the ledge?

Anyway, except from the instance where the character hits the wall of the ledge and doesn't grab it, I don't think there's another way to be out of hitstun and miss the ledge (provided you're close enough).

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'll maybe try to reproduce it tomorrow, knowing my luck i won't be able to

you can fast fall while in tumble animation though, right? and i'm not just hallucinating?

Sangoku

Smash Master
If you do nothing tumble animation doesn't stop until you reach the ground. However, hitstun might wear off in the middle of the fall, therefore you would be able to act at that time. If you second jump or attack, the tumble animation stops, but if you fastfall, it doesn't. However, you're still out of hitstun.

In other words: you can fastfall when hitstun wears off, tumble animation is unrelated.

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I have a question about editing Ness's texture in SSB.

I downloaded the Rice video plugin for my emulator, and I can load textures just fine. When I tried to edit Ness, I was only able to edit his shirt, backpack and shoes. I could not find the files that correlate to his hat or his shorts for the Green and Yellow ness. These are the files I have edited:

SMASH BROTHERS#9F6A1D9C#2#0#4147B54A_ciByRGBA.png - His backpack
SMASH BROTHERS#548A9C2F#2#0#2036F614_ciByRGBA.png - The front of his shirt
SMASH BROTHERS#2069E95F#2#0#EE57EF86_ciByRGBA.png - The back of his shirt
SMASH BROTHERS#1FFE6401#2#0#2036F614_ciByRGBA.png - His shoes and socks

There was one other green and orange picture which I tried to edit, but it had no effect on his in game sprite. It was called SMASH BROTHERS#EFCD86A9#2#0#FD520006_ciByRGBA.png

Can anyone tell me what I need to do so that I can edit the green and yellow Ness's hat and shorts? If there is some file that I am missing, could someone please tell me what I am missing and where I can download it?

Top Bottom