• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Ummm I don't really see a difference.. ^___^
For both characters, there are the same amount of frames. The only difference is that yoshi's first frame is invincible, the rest is all the same. The only thing left is hurtbox size when they are vulnerable, just like you said "Maybe his hurt box doesn't show as much between rolls?".

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
Hey my original n64 controllers have some joystick problems and I don't want to buy a new one and spend alot of $$$ does anyone know how I could rescue them?

Shears

Smash Master
Does big kirby have the same weight as wimpy kirby?
Does big kirby have the same roll distance as wimpy kirby?
Jump heights?
Etc?

I'm seriously asking and if someone could test these things that would be great. I ask because I was playing with someone while they were big kirby and they survived a pika bair at like 118 above the left edge without DI when I thought the move was fresh. I may be wrong but I was pretty sure kirby died from that and so I was wondering if big kirby has different properties. His enlargement comes from his body puffing up during upb and then being stuck like that. Were the programmers too lazy to draw up a special animation for kirby because of this and just had it change his properties and the game rendered him bigger or what? Big kirby just seems a lot better and almost broken to me.

Sangoku

Smash Master
On the contrary big Kirby seems a lot worse in some matchups. His little size allows him to avoid a lot of short hop aerials and it's actually easier to hit him when he's small. He's definitely better in ditto though.

Can't test the distances and stuff atm, sorry.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Were the programmers too lazy to draw up a special animation for kirby because of this and just had it change his properties and the game rendered him bigger or what? Big kirby just seems a lot better and almost broken to me.
I pointed out in the original thread:
Between J and U big kirby is the same size but little kirby has different sizes. This means the programmers did it intentionally.

And Sangoku is wrong, big kirby is significantly worse only vs falcon

Sangoku

Smash Master
I wasn't even thinking of Falcon. More like Mario, Luigi, Fox, Yoshi and Samus. But if you say I'm wrong, then whatever. I'm not even good at this game anyway so what do I know.

Shears

Smash Master
is it possible you hit with weak bair by accident?
I didn't think so but again I could be wrong but I'm hoping someone could test it just to be sure.

I pointed out in the original thread:
Between J and U big kirby is the same size but little kirby has different sizes. This means the programmers did it intentionally.

And Sangoku is wrong, big kirby is significantly worse only vs falcon
You can intentionally be lazy. I feel the two ways to achieve the big kirby animation is either design the big kirby graphic and have the game load the new graphic just for the move, or just change the properties of the character such as weight and size and have the game render the new look then. I'm not sure which was done but if it's the latter, which I think is more likely since the size does indeed change not just the display of the character and it's permanent for the stock, then big kirby is a much different matchup than wimpy kirby.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I feel the two ways to achieve the big kirby animation is either design the big kirby graphic and have the game load the new graphic just for the move, or just change the properties of the character such as weight and size and have the game render the new look then. I'm not sure which was done but if it's the latter, which I think is more likely since the size does indeed change not just the display of the character and it's permanent for the stock, then big kirby is a much different matchup than wimpy kirby.
Its obviously intentional because there already a big kirby animation, that still changes the hitbox sizes but not the base size. its called using the aerial jumps.
There is a base size for kirby which is a floating point number.
1.0 is big kirby
something like 0.98 is small kirby.

they changed it from something like 0.97 for small kirby in J.
they could have just made it 1.0, but they didn't because the programmers wanted kirby to be smaller before the up b.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Have you already posted about big kirby technical data? If so could you reference me the post.

Big kirby FAQ:

Is big kirby bigger? Yes, big kirby has a base size of 1.0 vs 0.98 for wimpy kirby
Does the change in base size proportionally affect hitboxes and/or hurtboxes? I'm assuming yes for both
Is big kirby heavier?
Is big kirby as floaty?
Does big kirby have the same jump heights?
Does big kirby have the same roll distance?
Is big kirby God?

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
are you allergic to emulators
Yes I am, but since you're going to challenge me about it I went and tested it on the emulator. I'm now covered in hives.

Is big kirby bigger? Yes, big kirby has a base size of 1.0 vs 0.98 for wimpy kirby
Does the change in base size proportionally affect hitboxes and/or hurtboxes? Yes
Is big kirby heavier? No
Is big kirby as floaty? Yes
Does big kirby have the same jump heights? Yes, but big kirby can reach higher due to larger size (max height=wimpy kirby max height + (big kirby height - wimpy kirby height))
Does big kirby have the same roll distance? No, big kirby has farther rolls
Is big kirby God? Yes

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
To answer your question 'Is big kirby heavier than wimpy kirby' I think you can just go to the mush room kingdom stage and test their weight on the platforms
Example:
Wimpy kirby on left platform
Big kirby on right platform
Wait like 3 minutes and see if the scale tilts any progress

Sangoku

Smash Master
You can easily test both of your remaining questions by seeing if there is a difference in off the top death. And there's no such difference, therefore we can conclude his weight and floatyness are the same as wimpy kirby.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
a year ago nobody even knew there was such a thing as "big kirby"

i don't think any of us are in a position to be talking about how good or bad he is

Madao

are you allergic to emulators
Lol ikr .
Have you already posted about big kirby technical data? If so could you reference me the post.

Big kirby FAQ:

Does the change in base size proportionally affect hitboxes and/or hurtboxes? I'm assuming yes for both
Is big kirby heavier?
Is big kirby as floaty?
Does big kirby have the same jump heights?
Does big kirby have the same roll distance?
Is big kirby God?
Emulator + cheat engine can solve these questions in minutes. The only thing size really effects are hurtboxes, hitbox location (not size), and roll distance. Technically also the shield gets bigger, but that's just proportional to the body size. Idk about kirby's jump though since kirby and jigglypuff have a different formula that i never bothered to look at.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I did check but there is SO MUCH to sort through. There needs to be some kind of complete download pack for the essentials. The sections are just so confusing and they are an eye sore to me :/

Sangoku

Smash Master
I did check but there is SO MUCH to sort through. There needs to be some kind of complete download pack for the essentials. The sections are just so confusing and they are an eye sore to me :/
Seriously, if you find that tedious and difficult, I'm not sure you will go really far in anything... The section called "Playing online" is confusing? That what should it be called? Then when you expand, on the 4th line of the whole section, under a big yellow title called "Emulator downloads", there is a link to the emulator. I mean I don't see how you could make it simpler. It's fine being lazy and not checking in the index (tiring for us, but everybody does that, so we just play along). But then trying to justify by saying the index is confusing is not really fine by me.
is there a simple way to have one controller control 2 or more characters on emulator. if there is how is this done?
I don't know what you have trouble with? I use NRage 1.61 and in controller settings, I just tick as many controllers as I want, and then under device, I choose the same device for the controllers.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I found what I was looking for, I'm sorry for sounding lazy. I was stressed out when I posted earlier because things aren't going welll at home. Anyways, Is it possible to DI Kirby's up-tilt in a way that makes it hard to combo into?

EDIT: Sangoku, I looked at the Ancient Smash Index earlier so I got confused. The newer index isn't linked in the competitve rules/index thread.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I found what I was looking for, I'm sorry for sounding lazy. I was stressed out when I posted earlier because things aren't going welll at home. Anyways, Is it possible to DI Kirby's up-tilt in a way that makes it hard to combo into?

EDIT: Sangoku, I looked at the Ancient Smash Index earlier so I got confused. The newer index isn't linked in the competitve rules/index thread.
as a floaty u can di up and eat like 1 or 2 less utilts. as a heavy u are pretty much screwed unless you have amazing di

Annex

Smash Ace
What marbles said, but also, even if you eat 1 or 2 less toes you're still gonna get combod out of it as long as you don't get saved by some convenient platform

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Anybody else had a card problem buying a raphnet adapter?

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I checked all information thrice now, it's a visa debit card. It might just be paypal or something. IDK

Sangoku

Smash Master
Who is it good to camp the top platform against? (By camp I mean use as your main ground, more than really camp)
I'd say Kirby, Jigglypuff are top tier, then Yoshi, Mario, Luigi. Generally speaking, any tips on placement/where to stay against who in which situation, etc?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Who is it good to camp the top platform against? (By camp I mean use as your main ground, more than really camp)
I'd say Kirby, Jigglypuff are top tier, then Yoshi, Mario, Luigi. Generally speaking, any tips on placement/where to stay against who in which situation, etc?
First off, I think that Puff is usually the one that is good at top platform camping, so I hang low vs him/her (is Puff a boy or a girl). I find that Puff can beat out most other chars to the top platform when she needs to be there (obviously she doesn't want to be there vs like fox or something). Secondly, NOT sure what you mean lol. Can you be more specific? IMO, it's good to hang out up top vs Mario, Luigi, kirby, DK? and others, and then just platdrop FF aerial when you think the time is right aha. But there are so many match ups, and sometimes you want to hang low and sometimes you want to hang high. IDK what else you're looking for lol. :laugh:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah my second request was a bit vague lol. I just remember jouske's post on where to stand as Samus vs each char and I thought this was useful info.

I'm not sure what you mean about puff. To me it sounds like you're basically saying that since she's good at top plat camping we should let her be there. On the contrary I feel that since it's her advantageous position we should try to pick up and guard the spot.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Ok, picture Mario vs Kirby. IMO this match up is all about stage control (not that every match up isn't, but more so than most others). Both characters want to be on top, right? Well Puff definitely wants to be, IDK how you guys play the Mario side, I like being above Puff...

Whatever, for conversational purposes let's just assume that both characters want to be on top. IMO it is wayyyyy easier for Puff to get to the top and stay there than it is for Mario. If Mario is on the top platform, where he wants to be, it's a lot easier for Puff to go up there and regain stage control than it would be for Mario to do that vs Puff. In fact, I think it's actually a really bad idea for Mario to try and steal the top platform while Puff is up there at all. ESPECIALLY if Puff is at low damage.

Which goes back to my point in the previous post. While I agree that Mario is at a disadvantage by letting Puff have the top platform, I think that he puts himself at an even greater disadvantage by trying to go up there and take the stage control from Puff.

Despite Mario wanting to be on top, I think his best options are to try and bait Puff to come down and THEN take the top.

So this is what the match up really boils down to IMO, Mario being at a disadvantage most of the time. Which is why I think Puff has the advantage in the match up.

Top Bottom