• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Edit: tested with your specific example (shine vs pika's dair) just to be sure and yes, Fox gets hit.
Well, I tried it and I'd add a few notes.

[12:56:27 AM] Star King: for instance
[12:56:48 AM] Star King: if you Pika dair a fox shine
[12:57:05 AM] Star King: and the first frame Pikachu makes "contact" with Fox, Fox's blue frame happens
[12:57:12 AM] Star King: so he doesn't get hit by that frame
[12:57:21 AM] Star King: will he get hit by the lingering dair hitbox after that frame
Fox will get hit by the lingering dair hitbox but only if the shine hitbox doesn't hit pikachu.

http://gfycat.com/QualifiedQuaintIbadanmalimbe

If pikachu's dair connects with fox' blue hurtbox and that fox' shine connects with pikachu's yellow hurtbox, pikachu gets hit. Pikachu's hitbox is not shown at all.

http://gfycat.com/JoyousMajesticAsianporcupine

But all of that only happens because of fox' intangibility. In a ground vs aerial, if P1 hitbox connects with P2 yellow hurtbox and P2 hitbox connects with P1 yellow hurtbox, both get hit.

http://gfycat.com/SkinnyPowerlessCoral

Hikari198

Smash Cadet
Just wondering about this, I have made of a total of 39 SSB64 combo videos (some videos contain multiple combos).
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hikirai198/videos
The combos included in my channel are combos that I think are hard enough to perform, and are interesting, cool, and unique.
Is it possible if I ask for some feedback on these combo videos? (whether they are good or bad combos, etc.)

Here are some of the better combo videos::bee:
Falcon on Falcon 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwzrKffQgA

Capitan Tavo Edgegame Falcon on Falcon Combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7CX9t024o

Falcon on Falcon 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJ6IqtMstc

Falcon on Falcon 16 (2 combos in 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc28Ohq8M0k

Falcon on falcon 18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TInPuOZYCak
If you guys like it, please help me gain more views, and like and subscribe to my channel to enjoy more upcoming combos!

Here is my smashboards video thread on my SSB64 combo channel: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-channel-for-falcon-fox-videos-beginner-friendly.348932/

tiedyeyoureyes

Smash Rookie
Am I reading these rules correctly? It seems that the only 3 stages that you can ever choose in a competition are Dream Land, Peaches Castle, and Congo Jungle. If that is the case, I'm just curious about why stages like Sector Z, Yoshi's Island, and Hyrule Castle are forbidden.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Am I reading these rules correctly? It seems that the only 3 stages that you can ever choose in a competition are Dream Land, Peaches Castle, and Congo Jungle. If that is the case, I'm just curious about why stages like Sector Z, Yoshi's Island, and Hyrule Castle are forbidden.
In terms of Sector Z, it is 2 things, size of the stage (which allows camping and people live way too long) and the hazards are way too powerful

In terms of Yoshi's Island, the biggest problem are the clouds. People can claim once they get one them that they will be edeguarded if they try to get back and that allows cloud camping to be a potential factor.

In terms of banning hyrule, people have given a bunch of reasons and well look through a lot of old threads. It used to bee the main neutral.

tiedyeyoureyes

Smash Rookie
In terms of Sector Z, it is 2 things, size of the stage (which allows camping and people live way too long) and the hazards are way too powerful

In terms of Yoshi's Island, the biggest problem are the clouds. People can claim once they get one them that they will be edeguarded if they try to get back and that allows cloud camping to be a potential factor.

In terms of banning hyrule, people have given a bunch of reasons and well look through a lot of old threads. It used to bee the main neutral.
Thanks so much! I've never played competitively myself, and I doubt that most people in my small local central PA area have either, but I'm considering running a SSB tournament at my university this Fall, and I figured that using the most standard rules would be my best/fairest option. I just don't know how most of the people would feel about being restricted to 3 stages. Any suggestions on where to look for good information/guidance on running a small local (unofficial) tournament? I wouldn't mind if it felt official. But I don't think anyone around here would care enough about rankings and stuff for me to jump through the necessary hoops to make it official.

Annex

Smash Ace
Most of the local tourneys I go to allow Hyrule and it's a lot of peoples favorite stage, so if you're worried that stage count could turn people away you could just toss that in.
Also, there is a rule where any stage may be played in a match if both players can agree to it.

Shears

Smash Master
And if you are the TO you can make any ruleset you want. At a large tourney expect to see the stages already listed, but many will still include Hyrule, and a small one at your college its fair to do whatever stages you want since most people aren't aware of the camping play to win strategy on those larger stages. When do you plan on having this tournament and where?

tiedyeyoureyes

Smash Rookie
And if you are the TO you can make any ruleset you want. At a large tourney expect to see the stages already listed, but many will still include Hyrule, and a small one at your college its fair to do whatever stages you want since most people aren't aware of the camping play to win strategy on those larger stages. When do you plan on having this tournament and where?
in that case, I would probably just allow any stage, but ban Mushroom Kingdom and Planet Zebes. I am not sure EXACTLY when it would be, but definitely not until the Fall semester has started and students get comfortable with the campus (for freshmen's sake). So probably late September at the earliest. And it would be at Penn State Altoona. I definitely would want to have SSB64 running. But I'm considering running brackets on all three current consoles since I do see students playing Brawl at night in one of the lounge buildings pretty often. I'll definitely be discussing plans on here as I set things up. I've never played competitively, but I would love to. I'm pretty sure the only major tournaments anywhere near me would be in Pittsburgh, and that's still 2 or 2.5 hours away.

Shears

Smash Master
in that case, I would probably just allow any stage, but ban Mushroom Kingdom and Planet Zebes. I am not sure EXACTLY when it would be, but definitely not until the Fall semester has started and students get comfortable with the campus (for freshmen's sake). So probably late September at the earliest. And it would be at Penn State Altoona. I definitely would want to have SSB64 running. But I'm considering running brackets on all three current consoles since I do see students playing Brawl at night in one of the lounge buildings pretty often. I'll definitely be discussing plans on here as I set things up. I've never played competitively, but I would love to. I'm pretty sure the only major tournaments anywhere near me would be in Pittsburgh, and that's still 2 or 2.5 hours away.
Yeah most casual players use all stages but those two anyway so you'll be fine. And if you were any closer to Baltimore I would totally drive up for it but that's still 3 hours away.

tiedyeyoureyes

Smash Rookie
Yeah most casual players use all stages but those two anyway so you'll be fine. And if you were any closer to Baltimore I would totally drive up for it but that's still 3 hours away.
Yeah it's not really close to anything... Not a very fun place to live hahaha. I figure a tournament will give people something to do around here, at least for a weekend or whatever.

Is the 3DS release of SSB4 supposed to be fully functional in comparison to the WiiU release? Like, access to all characters, stages, etc? I have a 3DS, but not enough $ for a WiiU. Getting SSB4 for 3DS no matter what. Just curious what I'll be getting out of it

asianaussie

Smash Hero
actually, top right, there's a searchbar and a 'search this thread only' option

it's really ****ty and the best criteria to use is actually the poster, unless they fixed it

mixa

Banned via Warnings
It kinda makes sense if you consider that Link's slip-off up-B is essentially an aerial up-B, while DK's is a grounded one. If DK does an aerial up-B, slips off, and gets hit, he'll be jumpless all the same.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but it doesn't work in the same way as Falcon's dair. The knockback angle is not given by position, but in what frame you connect the spike.

Spike hitboxes start at frame 46 -- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88350135/FD/kirby/special-u/animation.html

Kirby's spike has two rounds of 4 frames of hitbox. The respective angles are represented below

Code:
Frame  Attack        Damage  Effect  Ang 
1      US(up)        8       Slash   88  
2      US(up)        8       Slash   96  
3      US(up)        8       Slash   88  
4      US(up)        8       Slash   96  
5      US(up)        2       Slash   -85 
6      USProjectile  6       Slash   361
So if you connect the spike on the first frame, you'll get the usual knockback. If you connect on the second frame, you'll get the reverse, and so on.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Thanks so much! I've never played competitively myself, and I doubt that most people in my small local central PA area have either, but I'm considering running a SSB tournament at my university this Fall, and I figured that using the most standard rules would be my best/fairest option. I just don't know how most of the people would feel about being restricted to 3 stages. Any suggestions on where to look for good information/guidance on running a small local (unofficial) tournament? I wouldn't mind if it felt official. But I don't think anyone around here would care enough about rankings and stuff for me to jump through the necessary hoops to make it official.
You can use the the 64 rankings site for your official tournament, and have almost whatever rules you want; definitely any stage you`d like. I think the current 'Apex Ruleset' allows for the players to agree to any stage anyway.

Zawoof

Smash Rookie
I know this has been asked 1,000 times but I want to play smash 64 online and I am wondering about the best method to dl the necessary programs. I've gathered that I need kaillera and projectsmash64 but when I tried to dl kaillera the other day I think I was getting it from a website that was sketchy. My computer ended up with a pretty bad virus that I was able to trace back to the website I got kaillera from.

So can anyone please tell me the fastest/safest way to start playing on my comp?

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I know this has been asked 1,000 times but I want to play smash 64 online and I am wondering about the best method to dl the necessary programs. I've gathered that I need kaillera and projectsmash64 but when I tried to dl kaillera the other day I think I was getting it from a website that was sketchy. My computer ended up with a pretty bad virus that I was able to trace back to the website I got kaillera from.

So can anyone please tell me the fastest/safest way to start playing on my comp?
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/
Reference the "playing online" section of the first post in this thread and you should be on your way to safely play Smash 64 online.

Also welcome to the boards.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
So how do you guys DI? I know when to DI I'm just really bad at it lol. I tried **** DI (that's what it's called, right?) and I'm just not into it. I either get crazy good DI with it or nothing at all. It's really inconsistent with me. Suggestions?

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
So how do you guys DI? I know when to DI I'm just really bad at it lol. I tried **** DI (that's what it's called, right?) and I'm just not into it. I either get crazy good DI with it or nothing at all. It's really inconsistent with me. Suggestions?

I learned how to ledge DI by picking link rolling to an edge throwing a bomb down then DI'ing into the ledge I rolled into. Then once I was comfortable with that I used the red shell but I'd jump off the stage and try having it hit me. You can practice the **** DI with a friend and the fire flower just try to go through to behind your friend. **** DI is important to learn though if you want to DI drills or survive spikes close to the edge and stuff so I'd keep doing that if you want to DI comfortably

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I'm looking for buying a new controller and i found some alternatives that seems to be good quality ones. I know cirkas are terrible... Any one has any information on Ttx controllers ? Are they any good ?

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for buying a new controller and i found some alternatives that seems to be good quality ones. I know cirkas are terrible... Any one has any information on Ttx controllers ? Are they any good ?

Ttx controllers are bad. I tried 1 brand new and the stick was already busted. Returned it and switched for another new one same problem. I wouldn't waste your money on after market sticks man. Knuckle down and find a good used one. They're out there. I found a stick the other day that I got for my friend that was pretty much brand new. Be careful though as some control sticks could be changed out and it'll feel new but be very wonky. Always ask to test sticks if you're at a used game store. If you're looking to make an Internet purchase you should just save up for a hori.

Last edited:

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
Ttx controllers are bad. I tried 1 brand new and the stick was already busted. Returned it and switched for another new one same problem. I wouldn't waste your money on after market sticks man. Knuckle down and find a good used one. They're out there. I found a stick the other day that I got for my friend that was pretty much brand new. Be careful though as some control sticks could be changed out and it'll feel new but be very wonky. Always ask to test sticks if you're at a used game store. If you're looking to make an Internet purchase you should just save up for a hori.
thanks for the tips. i'll try to gather money for a hori. They're really expensive in BRL but i know they're by far the best choice.

Vale

Smash Ace
There was a TXT included in Madao's attack calculator that gave a list of moveset data, but the link to the calculator states that the project has been deleted/moved. Does anyone have this file?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everybody. How goes it?

How should Kirby escape invincibility after a stock? Specifically against Pika and Falcon.

Thanks!

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't think there's a miracle formula with any character. The respawn invincibility is simply dumb. Or at least ridiculously longer than what it should be.

Different things that I do:
-Hang on the ledge (not good from 100% with Kirby)
-Shield on the external side of a side platform and react to shield poke quickly
-Wait on a side of the main part and as they come down there, run past through them (maybe not with Kirby who isn't so fast). A variant of this one is do the same thing, but as you start running in their direction, roll backwards.
-Use Kirby's infinite jumps starting with a stick jump from a side platform.
-This one I never do, but Zenyore does it all the time and I can never catch him and I rage so much when he does that and I hate that: wait at an end of the stage, jump diagonally backwards, off the ledge as they try to attack you and I don't know why I can never hit him when he does that. Ask him how to do this well.
-Come on the top platform and as they are baited by this taunt and angrily try to come down quickly to punish you, you just get the **** out of there and escape.

Will add more if I can think of other things. By the way, most of them isn't Kirby specific, but I figured I'd post them all lol.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Chaos: I'm sure you already knew most of these, this is just standard stuff. I'd like to hear if others have good strategies to share as well.

I forgot to tell in my first post (maybe you understood with its tone lol), but I absolutely suck at escaping and chasing during respawn invincibility.

Shears

Smash Master
Really good question, I'm super interested to see what other people do. As blue hat pika, I'll either grab the ledge and get a few invincibility frames of my own, jump diagnonally away from the stage or if they're not great jumpers I'll jump above them back to the top platform, or sit below a platform and when they come to approach from above I sprint underneath them to the other side of the stage. Its a rock paper scissors part of the game.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
ledge is very good vs falcon
When i go on the ledge vs falcon, the falcon just waits on the side platform for me to make a move. If I get up or get up roll, he plat drop down airs accordingly. If i ledge hop, he plat drop back airs.

It sounds super silly, but it's really effective against me. I'm not good enough to counter.

What should i do once i'm on the ledge?

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Really good question, I'm super interested to see what other people do. As blue hat pika, I'll either grab the ledge and get a few invincibility frames of my own, jump diagnonally away from the stage or if they're not great jumpers I'll jump above them back to the top platform, or sit below a platform and when they come to approach from above I sprint underneath them to the other side of the stage. Its a rock paper scissors part of the game.
Best thing to do is
Learn how to ledge cancel your up b's and just up b everywhere
Do wat wario does vs jouske

What should i do once i'm on the ledge?
wait

Last edited:
Top Bottom