• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
do you mean the save battery is starting to go?

if you feel like spending time with tutorials and tools you can replace the save battery for a lot cheaper than a new cart... i think, maybe i'm thinking of snes games
No, I mean the game itself is starting to go corrupt. It's severely lagging in places it's run smoothly before, there's occasional sound errors...

What exactly's so bad about the VC port?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's bad because it skips frames.

Alternatively you can download the emulator and buy a controller adapter.
I don't exactly know what that means. Does it just not display some frames or does it fast-forward randomly?

Because if it's the former, why should I care?

And I don't really feel like buying two adapters.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
AFAIK it means some of your inputs won't be registered. If you're a casual player who mashes buttons a lot it won't matter, but if you're a good player who relies on precise input, you won't be able to play.

Why would you buy two adapters?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
AFAIK it means some of your inputs won't be registered. If you're a casual player who mashes buttons a lot it won't matter, but if you're a good player who relies on precise input, you won't be able to play.

Why would you buy two adapters?
I already intend to buy an N64 adapter for SSBU. Buying a USB adapter to play an emulator would double the cost.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I already intend to buy an N64 adapter for SSBU. Buying a USB adapter to play an emulator would double the cost.
if you want to play casually and just have fun with your friends then go right ahead and play vc. however if you have any intend of improving your play or playing competitively plz for the love of god don't waste your time with vc

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
if you want to play casually and just have fun with your friends then go right ahead and play vc. however if you have any intend of improving your play or playing competitively plz for the love of god don't waste your time with vc
He's not playing VC he said he's playing smash U (Super smash bros 4) which is possible thanks to Nintendos GameCube adapter, just a an n64 to GameCube adapter and it should work

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
He's not playing VC he said he's playing smash U (Super smash bros 4) which is possible thanks to Nintendos GameCube adapter, just a an n64 to GameCube adapter and it should work
I ask half out of a desire to get into the SSB64 hardcore scene and half out of the intent of getting an adapter for SSB4/Virtual Console SSB64.

Marthy

Smash Cadet
NNID
marth_lowell
3DS FC
0173-2031-9695
Switch FC
SW 1197 9118 8506
Hmm...anyone else preordered the 3DS version of Smash? I have & I can't wait! :D

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Look, if the VC version really is noticeably terrible, I won't get it, but if it can be worked past, like a number of people I've seen, I will.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Is there a good resource of percentages that fthrow -> falcon punch combos at? Kind of a specific request, sorry, I'm not good enough yet to figure it out myself lol.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Is there a good resource of percentages that fthrow -> falcon punch combos at? Kind of a specific request, sorry, I'm not good enough yet to figure it out myself lol.
I'm pretty sure nobody has compiled such data. I think after a while you just kinda know when it's gonna connect.

Training mode with the help of cheat engine to easily set the dummy to any % would be the way to go.
You always learn some nuance of the character by doing that kind of stuff. Also stick jump practice.

Madao

It doesn't take skill to figure it out, just effort :estatic: . Like mixa said, use cheat engine.
I'm pretty sure nobody has compiled such data. I think after a while you just kinda know when it's gonna connect.

Training mode with the help of cheat engine to easily set the dummy to any % would be the way to go.
You always learn some nuance of the character by doing that kind of stuff. Also stick jump practice.
+1 for cheat engine advice.

It's true that with enough experience, you get a feel for it.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
fthrow -> fpunch is like 40-60something. definite in the 50s. if they're too high and can escape and try to ff, angle it down.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i also blindly assumed you meant in falcon dittos. it also works on fox at like 42 i think, link around the same as falcon, give or take, and yoshi in the 60s

I THINK

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
fthrow -> fpunch is like 40-60something. definite in the 50s. if they're too high and can escape and try to ff, angle it down.
For nearly all the heavies it's generally 40-60ish%. I don't really try it on floaties. Also depends on stage position. Sometimes you'll land on a plat and it changes the % very slightly but not too significantly.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/545828990 @23:30 how did mario dair through that platform?
To do an aerial through a platform you need to have a hurtbox that is below the top of the platform. I'm guessing if we were looking at the play in hurtbox mode, we would see, as mario is doing his dair, that a hurtbox gets under the top of the platform (not below the platform just below the top edge of what the game recognizes as the platform) and this probably happens since he is approaching the platform with some horizontal movement. This is what I assume explains this, but madao or sangoku are probably the authorities on this.

When getting comboed (how is that word spelled?) as pika from a falcon or whatever and there is a frame trap where pika can supposedly upb out of the combo to safety, whats the optimal means of pulling off this defensive upb? Should I hold the stick up and mash b or should I mash both b and the stick up?

I guess these are double posts, so you might as well go ahead and spank me @ Sangoku Sangoku

Last edited by a moderator:

Sangoku

Smash Master
I used to ask myself the same question. Theoretically there's no advantage of mashing both Up and B as Up can be buffered and B mashed. I heard banze (who's really good at that) times the button press. When I think about timing I guess you should try to press as late as possible before getting hit but it never works.

Madao

To do an aerial through a platform you need to have a hurtbox that is below the top of the platform. I'm guessing if we were looking at the play in hurtbox mode, we would see, as mario is doing his dair, that a hurtbox gets under the top of the platform (not below the platform just below the top edge of what the game recognizes as the platform) and this probably happens since he is approaching the platform with some horizontal movement. This is what I assume explains this, but madao or sangoku are probably the authorities on this.
From what I've seen, attack animations are tricky. If your real body is outside of the range for landing collision, you will go through, even if an animation causes you to be within the range of landing.
When getting comboed (how is that word spelled?) as pika from a falcon or whatever and there is a frame trap where pika can supposedly upb out of the combo to safety, whats the optimal means of pulling off this defensive upb? Should I hold the stick up and mash b or should I mash both b and the stick up?
Holding Up and mashing B would be the most effective, assuming you have fast fingers. If you're slow, then focus more on the timing.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I heard banze (who's really good at that) times the button press. When I think about timing I guess you should try to press as late as possible before getting hit but it never works.
When I was housed with Banze at Weedwack's this past Apex I specifically asked him this question. He said he DI's away as far as possible during the first/second hit fair and then the uair, then times his upb to get invincibility frames RIGHT before falcon's upb connects. So if you ask Banze he would say he times his input (or at least did last Apex).

mixa

Banned via Warnings
To me it doesn't make sense to time the input "just before you get hit" (like in that Isai instructional Pika ditto vid), because when you're getting combo'd by Falcon, it's not like you have 20+ frames to choose when to input up-B, if you did, you could simply jump out of it or put any aerial out there.

Sangoku

Smash Master
It's hard to explain. There is a frame window for you to escape. It has a beginning (when hitstun wears off) and an end (when you get hit by the next move). In theory you could input Up B any time during this frame window. However, you don't know exactly when the beginning is. What you're afraid of with mashing is inputting once just before that window and once just after (as it may be very tiny). But in fact you know exactly when the end of the frame window is (ie just before getting hit). So by inputting it on the last frame possible before getting hit, it's the only time you can be certain that you actually are within that frame window. Therefore, it's the only time you can reliably time your press, independently of how tiny the frame window may be (as long as it's not a combo obviously).

By the way, I should have added in my first post "but it never works for me". I still believe this is the best solution.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
[12:55:20 AM] Star King: I'm actually not sure about something, about to ask on Smushboards
[12:55:27 AM] Rob Stone: what's the issue
[12:55:31 AM] Star King: whether
[12:56:06 AM] Star King: blue intagibility frames count towards a move's "already hit" counter, i.e. they can no longer be hit by that move even if they are yellow contacting yellow
[12:56:12 AM] Star King: using the hitbox color codes*
[12:56:27 AM] Star King: for instance
[12:56:48 AM] Star King: if you Pika dair a fox shine
[12:57:05 AM] Star King: and the first frame Pikachu makes "contact" with Fox, Fox's blue frame happens
[12:57:12 AM] Star King: so he doesn't get hit by that frame
[12:57:21 AM] Star King: will he get hit by the lingering dair hitbox after that frame
[12:57:29 AM] Star King: or will it count as if he's already been "hit" by that move
[12:57:38 AM] Star King: I'm actually not sure

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i wish i could be in that chat only when people talk about the game

then again, that format make my eyes glaze over - is that a question, sk?

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Probably want a TASer to confirm but I've had the situation you describe happen and Fox didn't get hit. Which makes sense. Would guess that drills are a different story since they have empty frames which reset the "already hit" counter.

Sangoku

Smash Master
As it is not a green invincible frame (ie it is a blue one, therefore can't be touched at all), why would it render it null? It won't. Take the example of a regular get up which also has blue invincible frames. One char does the regular get up and gets f-smashed by a pikachu at the same time (since it lasts long): at the beginning of the getup, nothing will happen (as the character is intangible), then once the blue frames wear off, the character will get hit by the f-smash (assuming the hitbox is still out).
Does that answer your question?

Edit: tested with your specific example (shine vs pika's dair) just to be sure and yes, Fox gets hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom