• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How reliable is the combo counter in Training Mode? Can I practice combos in training mode and if the combo counter works it should be legit, not counting SDI? I know some things like throws and walls brake the counter, but is training mode usually the best mode to practice in? Would something like vs mode with another controller plugged in be better?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
it's not perfect, but it's reliable. previous tests showed that it resets one frame or so before hitstun ends. i'm not very interested in this, but with madao's table it should be simple to test exactly how precise the combo meter is.
you also have to know that even if hitstun ends, except for yoshi, pika, etc (characters who can get out in one frame) most characters can't do anything for 3 or so frames.

so, you can use it no worries.

but is training mode usually the best mode to practice in?
practice combos? assuming you're by yourself, save states + training mode is efficient.
you have to account for DI, so you have to trust that aren't fooling yourself with easily DIable combos. if you don't trust yourself to make that judgement, be more specific about what combos you're practicing and tell us, or watch good videos and just do the combos that work there. or play people (who DI, preferably)

Would something like vs mode with another controller plugged in be better?
i don't see how that would work

Last edited:

Madao

Training mode combo counter is pretty reliable. The only thing is that it resets late (on purpose). The reason it resets late is so you have more time to see the numbers before they reset to 0. Basically there's some grace period where hitstun reaches 0 and it still displays the previous combo count. If you hit them during the grace period, it immediately displays the new number. I actually think it's a neat idea. I made my own external combo counter program, but never figured out how to display it on top of the emulator screen without screwing up the FPS. So I put it to the side since I don't play in full screen or even high res anyway. There is one flaw to this intentional delay though. You can't see the exact moment they are out of hitstun. After trying both implementations in my own combo counter, I prefer adding the delay to see the combo count for a longer time.

3 reasons why I don't use the japanese combo counter are, it doesn't diplay the first hit, it uses up quite a bit of CPU, and it only works on PJ64kve lol. It also has that FPS issue that I'm dealing with ;/.

The wall bouncing reset is kinda annoying. I was never able to fix that + now my Nemu64 doesn't even work so no more debugging for me ;/ .

I don't see why anyone would prefer VS mode over training mode, for training by themself. The reset feature alone is a good enough reason to use training mode.

Has anyone tried that tool made by the japanese, for auto DI?

If I get more into the game again, I'll have some interesting things to try out.

Edit: Lol I just remembered, I only get that fps issue when using a transparent image/text. I hate seeing the background so I still dont put it on top of the emulator screen.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
So is being able to create our own stages still not in the foreseeable future? I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to create our own stages to create some more diversity and increase the abysmal amount of tournament legal stages we have.

Madao

So is being able to create our own stages still not in the foreseeable future? I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to create our own stages to create some more diversity and increase the abysmal amount of tournament legal stages we have.
Well first, it depends on who is willing to work on it. I do not have that much devotion to this game at this point in time. I am willing to put some work into it and steer people in the right direction. Studstill seems eager to work on things.

It's definitely possible, but idk about having this modified version work on the real hardware. You would have to be extra careful with what you do and it costs a lot of money to buy custom n64 carts afaik.

So the real question is, who is willing to work on this?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Or maybe I've just been paying attention to it more lately.
i experience something like this every now and then. i happens with anything but right now i can only remember the car example
i see a car, say 'huh, you don't see that one often', then i get the 'nah, that's a pretty common car'.
i say 'really' and then i start noticing it with an astounding frequence

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Well first, it depends on who is willing to work on it. I do not have that much devotion to this game at this point in time. I am willing to put some work into it and steer people in the right direction. Studstill seems eager to work on things.
I dont think studstill knows how to look at a rom dump / disassembly or has programming skills. The best option is to seek out the people that made the engine that lets you modify sm64 and pay them to do it lol

There is one flaw to this intentional delay though. You can't see the exact moment they are out of hitstun.
have it change color

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
practice combos? assuming you're by yourself, save states + training mode is efficient.
you have to account for DI, so you have to trust that aren't fooling yourself with easily DIable combos. if you don't trust yourself to make that judgement, be more specific about what combos you're practicing and tell us, or watch good videos and just do the combos that work there. or play people (who DI, preferably)
Doesn't really matter what combos I do the counter pretty much never goes past 2 even if the combo looks really legit. When playing against a friend we do our best to escape the combos by either using the fastest attack or jumping and those never work so I always assume my combos work.

Madao

I dont think studstill knows how to look at a rom dump / disassembly or has programming skills. The best option is to seek out the people that made the engine that lets you modify sm64 and pay them to do it lol
Lol at this point, I don't have much hope in just him. I do like how he has motivation though. Reading disassembly is easy for the most part. Some of those formulas are ridiculous though. I couldn't be bothered trying to understand the 2nd jump for Ness & Yoshi, as well as a few character's Up B's (like Falcon's). It all makes sense now, how people said the Fast3D microcode was too accurate. The hard part is simply finding the data. It requires some real creativity. For instance finding the hitbox code requires some serious luck or genious creativity. To my knowledge, even those Brawl hackers couldn't find the hitbox code for Brawl (+1 for Smash64 ppl). Now I know a good method for finding lots of things. Lol I almost missed the part where you mentioned paying them. I'm broke, so I couldn't do that.

At this point, all I plan to do is figure out how to compress the rom after decompressing it. Then I plan on teaching people stuff, so they can do the rest. Maybe I'll make / release a few tools to help other people do editing. Honestly, I'm only interested in small scale changes, like improving low tier characters. Idk what I'd even want to change about stages. Right now I'm getting help on the compression part, so I may be able to achieve this goal soon. Props to Zoinkity for all his advice and hard work.

have it change color
Now that I no longer use obsolete gfx plugins, this idea is more feasible than I thought. If I can get Nemu working again, I'll see about finding out how the glowing works. I'd rather the character glow during hitstun, than only glow during part of the hitlag.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Is sudden lag a sign of a dying cartridge?

I booted up the game to do a score run just for fun, and it started slowing down like crazy against the Yoshi Team and Mario Bros. This is the first time it's ever done this.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Is sudden lag a sign of a dying cartridge?

I booted up the game to do a score run just for fun, and it started slowing down like crazy against the Yoshi Team and Mario Bros. This is the first time it's ever done this.
If it's 4 players with lots of items, it's gonna slow down at times, this especially happens in saffron city when it's a 4 player battle with items, the game can't handle all of it and it lags, and no your cartidge is not dying in my opinion

Studstill

Smash Ace
Madao and Karajan. Settle down. Although, thank you for appreciating my eager motivation. I have withstood Madao`s (semiplayful) berating for a week now, ANYONE that wants to join the Skype calls and go through the game is welcome.
Skrlx, I think I sent you a PM awhile ago, holla.
Mixa, you should get in, too, I think you would dig what I`m doing with stage data collection.
Karajan.
I dont think studstill knows how to look at a rom dump / disassembly or has programming skills.
What is the point of this comment?

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Can some one create a thread on the project? I'd love to help but I'm clueless with this stuff :(

Edit: is it possible to play metal mario without the game crashing when it's over? And I mean like, when you win, it'll show metal mario and the announcer will say his name? That would be amazing and I know it may require alot of GS codes/and or rom hack

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Whats the maximum velocity obtainable for a playable character? 999% puff getting hit by (giant) DK punch or hammer or some master hand move? puff sheild break? dreamland pika glitch?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would guess Ness FSmash reflected Samus 100% (projectile reflection cap) charge shot but this is just speculation. Or possibly 100% Homerun bat toss (I think not Bob-omb for certain reasons).

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would guess Ness FSmash reflected Samus 100% (projectile reflection cap) charge shot but this is just speculation. Or possibly 100% Homerun bat toss (I think not Bob-omb for certain reasons).
Judging by a lot of the DI videos I've seen in terms of TAS, this seems to be the case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5D4L_nNnqs&t=8s

Here is some amusing DI

in Gfy form: http://gfycat.com/SmugThoseCicada

My guess is that the moves that you can DI the absolute most are moves where the character seems to wait a bit before being sent away (like a hammer hit or a charge shot [maybe Ness's Up B?], or for another game example, a :falconmelee: Knee)

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
don't ness's fsmash and shine do the same reflected damage? wait a minute though..

i'd assume handicap, 200% damage something.

followup question: is there a limit to the damage/knockback after multiple reflects?

i know shine breaks after like 3 charge shot reflects or something, but ness can continually fsmash it, so does that value change? if so, then i'd agree with sk but say, an infinitely fsmashed charge shot.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Wasn't there a video by maybe Antdgar (well another video) or perhaps JPheal or Blaze demonstrating this?

I couldn't find said video while replying

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
WHY DOES THE PJ64K PROCESS DISAPPEAR AFTER I DOUBLE CLICK A ROM TITLE TO START THE EMULATION? The window briefly disappears (like it should), but it doesn't come back. It's not even in the list of processes. IT CREEPS ME OUT EVERY TIME.

The Star King

Smash Hero
don't ness's fsmash and shine do the same reflected damage? wait a minute though..

i'd assume handicap, 200% damage something.

followup question: is there a limit to the damage/knockback after multiple reflects?

i know shine breaks after like 3 charge shot reflects or something, but ness can continually fsmash it, so does that value change? if so, then i'd agree with sk but say, an infinitely fsmashed charge shot.
Yes Fox's shine breaks from a 55%+ projectile. The reason I said Ness FSmash is because you can go beyond that percent without "breaking". And the projectile maxes out at 100%, and won't go past that (see Koro's video), so that's why I said 100%. Can't infinitely increase its value sorry

Handicap and 200% is a good point though forgot about dem crazy menu options

Last edited:

Madao

Whats the maximum velocity obtainable for a playable character? 999% puff getting hit by (giant) DK punch or hammer or some master hand move? puff sheild break? dreamland pika glitch?
You could just use a calculator to test most of them. Although neither me or Toomai collected the moveset data for master hand, metal mario, or giant DK. Iirc, the shield break one probably isn't the highest one, although the formula for that is quite different.
My guess is that the moves that you can DI the absolute most are moves where the character seems to wait a bit before being sent away (like a hammer hit or a charge shot [maybe Ness's Up B?], or for another game example, a :falconmelee: Knee)
Lol the amount of DI you get is simply based on the Hitlag formula. http://smashboards.com/threads/compilation-of-technical-frame-data.325142/

You guys should read the smash index. The info / useful threads linked on there answers a lot of questions.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Howdy, ya'll!

As some of you may know, Ceasar, the legendary Mario main of the Koroshiyo, and I, Kero the Great, go to the same college. In fact, we are actually rooming together in the fall.

I want to purchase a recording/streaming device/program so that we can present our God-level Koroshiyo matches to the world!

What do you guys recommend I buy? I don't know anything about this kind of stuff and am pretty lost. I have a Mac if that means anything.

Thank you.

-Lord Kero

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
What are comfortable or efficient ways to hold an N64 controller competitively?

I ask half out of a desire to get into the SSB64 hardcore scene and half out of the intent of getting an adapter for SSB4/Virtual Console SSB64.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Howdy, ya'll!

As some of you may know, Ceasar, the legendary Mario main of the Koroshiyo, and I, Kero the Great, go to the same college. In fact, we are actually rooming together in the fall.

I want to purchase a recording/streaming device/program so that we can present our God-level Koroshiyo matches to the world!

What do you guys recommend I buy? I don't know anything about this kind of stuff and am pretty lost. I have a Mac if that means anything.

Thank you.

-Lord Kero
Im interested in this too because i wanna stream while in peru (which is less than 2 months away)

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice

I ask half out of a desire to get into the SSB64 hardcore scene and half out of the intent of getting an adapter for SSB4/Virtual Console SSB64.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

The virtual console version is bad. No one uses it offline. Get 64 wifi and a controller/adapter.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Do you have to have momentum to ledge cancel something? Like can you ledge cancel Puff's rest?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

On the off chance that you attend a large tournament where Karajan and I are both present, you can use a gamecube or classic controller (or any other controller, really) on a console (or just Karajan if you dont use classic controller)

but yeah your best bet is getting an actual n64. I've run some of the nuttiest setup combinations ever and have never run a VC setup at one of my tournaments...

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
On the off chance that you attend a large tournament where Karajan and I are both present, you can use a gamecube or classic controller (or any other controller, really) on a console (or just Karajan if you dont use classic controller)

but yeah your best bet is getting an actual n64. I've run some of the nuttiest setup combinations ever and have never run a VC setup at one of my tournaments...
The virtual console version is bad. No one uses it offline. Get 64 wifi and a controller/adapter.
I actually do have the cartridge and play it. I'm just worried that it's bit-rotting, and I have reason to believe it's already started.

I don't have the money to blow on another one. They're going for hundreds of dollars now.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I actually do have the cartridge and play it. I'm just worried that it's bit-rotting, and I have reason to believe it's already started.

I don't have the money to blow on another one. They're going for hundreds of dollars now.
do you mean the save battery is starting to go?

if you feel like spending time with tutorials and tools you can replace the save battery for a lot cheaper than a new cart... i think, maybe i'm thinking of snes games

Top Bottom