• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yep. except i do not do the up/down di like that. i need to work on it, but it's the same method. i also do not fully remove my hand from the controller.

Maliki

Smash Ace
What is shield dropping? Also does anybody know any videos I can look up that shows an example of a falcon using te platforms of dreamland to I guess canp out a fox

Sangoku

Smash Master
What is shield dropping? Also does anybody know any videos I can look up that shows an example of a falcon using te platforms of dreamland to I guess canp out a fox
Shield dropping is shielding before pressing down, to drop from platform. If performed perfectly, it is faster than regular drop by 2 frames (because there's no crouch animation), but that's not the purpose of the technique. It's main purpose is that you can dash / dash pivot and shield drop, which is really quick and keeps your horizontal momentum.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Shield Dropping should be added to the Advanced Tech and Terms thread. I was watching a video of Isai on youtube when I was much newer and I noticed him shielding and then dropping through plats for movement and to continue combos. That's when I had to do some searching around the boards. I feel that it should already be part of the advanced technique list because of the 2 frame advantage it gives over just holding down, it helps the overall movement of players fairly significantly.

Sangoku

Smash Master
1) The 2 frame advantage is not to be taken into account in my opinion, because most of the time you're not frame perfect and that benefit isn't worth the risk (can be much slower than just 2 frames if mistimed).

2) You're right it should be added somewhere. I'd also add that there is one frame of invincibility and that it also allows for drop cancels.

Maliki

Smash Ace
Lol I always shield drop didnt realize that's what it was called. Probably don't get them perfect though. Thank you for the detailed answers everyone.

Skyfire

Smash Rookie
can anyone help me with learning to teleport up smash with fox? tried finding a video or something but was unsuccessful

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
can anyone help me with learning to teleport up smash with fox? tried finding a video or something but was unsuccessful
You have to wait for the initial dash to finish then you do 6321478 + A (a full 270 motion + A).

If you just end up jumping, you pressed A too early.
If you do uair, you pressed A too late.

Skyfire

Smash Rookie
You have to wait for the initial dash to finish then you do 6321478 + A (a full 270 motion + A).

If you just end up jumping, you pressed A too early.
If you do uair, you pressed A too late.
does it matter how high you push up on the joystick? and 270 going which direction? those number smade literally 0 sense to me

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
does it matter how high you push up on the joystick? and 270 going which direction? those number smade literally 0 sense to me

all the way up. That was numpad notation which is used in fighting games which assumes that your character is facing right. So if you take a look at your numpad, it goes forward, down forward, down, downback, etc.

You don't need to press down to perform a teleport.

You don't have to but it makes it easier to pull off for most people

asianaussie

Smash Hero
fireblaster what fighting games do you play? it's not normal to see that notation used in SF and mahvel, which seem to be the two big games smashers moonlight in (if only because you can find them at events with smush)

KoF? GG? blahbloo?

or, heavens forbid, melty?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
fireblaster what fighting games do you play? it's not normal to see that notation used in SF and mahvel, which seem to be the two big games smashers moonlight in (if only because you can find them at events with smush)

KoF? GG? blahbloo?

or, heavens forbid, melty?

I've done some melty, but I really like SF4 and skullgirls. Played BB in CT but then I realized I didn't want to completely relearn my character with every "balance" patch. Tried getting into marvel but the online is just awful and that game is just too broken for me to find it fun.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
BB, the game that completely changes every time a new anything comes out

that's cool, if i had time i would play more skullgirls, but i dont have said time

melty da bess

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any other fighting games that have taken some of the platforming / ringout elements from smash (I know there are a few that have ringouts, but even those are on a flat stage and the main way to win is still to take the opponent's HP to 0).

Yet there are all these fighting games that follow the basic street fighter paradigm of 2 fighters on a completely flat playfield trying to get the opponent's HP to 0.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any other fighting games that have taken some of the platforming / ringout elements from smash (I know there are a few that have ringouts, but even those are on a flat stage and the main way to win is still to take the opponent's HP to 0).

Yet there are all these fighting games that follow the basic street fighter paradigm of 2 fighters on a completely flat playfield trying to get the opponent's HP to 0.

There are plenty of smash bros type clones (Not necessarily ring outs, but the platforming style). It just so happens that more 2D fighters are actually well made and designed well for competition. There's a reason you probably don't know many of the failed smash clones.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
battle stadium DON
jump super/ultimate stars
every dbz fighter with a world budokai stage

none of these are serious fighting games for a reason

some earlier kof games had ringouts, but they're only played in niche communities/japan nowadays

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
There are plenty of smash bros type clones (Not necessarily ring outs, but the platforming style). It just so happens that more 2D fighters are actually well made and designed well for competition. There's a reason you probably don't know many of the failed smash clones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Network:_Punch_Time_Explosion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Super_Stars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Ultimate_Stars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_All-Stars_Battle_Royale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Rumble_Arena
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Rumble_Arena_2
http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Digimon_Rumble_Arena_3

prolly more

Cartoon_Network:_Punch_Time_Explosion XL was fun...a bit

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Should have amended my post to say "popular" or "competitive". But even that list makes it seem like the selling point of all these games is the licensed material and not the gameplay.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I think too many 'smash clones' try to distance themselves a bit from being a shameless copy by using an HP system, or whatever the heck PlayStation Allstars uses and it kills the creativity aspect we have in smash from the changing knock back % based system.
Really other games need to just full on admit they are copying smash bros and just adopt all the fundamental elements and skin it however they want.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
So is there some kind of unwritten gentlemen clause about waiting a bit on the cloud and not going in when you have your new life invincibility? Generally people in high level videos seem to wait at least a little bit if not a long time lost in thought while their invincibility fades away.

I feel like falcon's best asset on dream land is that he's fast enough to immediately get in an advantageous position right after he dies because of cloud invincibility.

Have approaches like this from death been rendered obsolete in the metagame? There has to be some reason why people don't just fastfall and go balls deep in their brief moment of divine power. Especially on small stages, I just don't get it.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Well, I always thought your invincibility starts as soon as you drop from the cloud. I'm pretty sure you don't get more invincibility frames if you drop right away.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
My mind would be blown if that is true. I feel like there is a noticeable gap in invincibility time if you go off immediately and if you stay on the cloud until you fall off automatically.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
From my years of personal experience in casual play and short time in competitive play, the invincibility has the same length regardless of you dropping immediately or waiting it out. If you wait until you can't be on your cloud anymore, it drops you and you have the same amount of time invincible as you would if you had chosen to drop right away and chase your opponent.

Maliki

Smash Ace
I thought that the longer you were on the cloud the more of your invincibility gets used. But thinking about I agree with breakthrough.

DMoogle

A$
Regarding etiquette, when two people die at approximately the same time, most people will drop from the cloud immediately. Personally, when my opponent and I die around the same time (but I die first), I'll usually wait until my opponent's cloud appears, then drop down (so, assuming he drops immediately, our invincibility starts and ends at the same time).

In a tournament match, standard practice is to wait until the most opportune moment to drop down.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Regarding etiquette, when two people die at approximately the same time, most people will drop from the cloud immediately. Personally, when my opponent and I die around the same time (but I die first), I'll usually wait until my opponent's cloud appears, then drop down (so, assuming he drops immediately, our invincibility starts and ends at the same time).

In a tournament match, standard practice is to wait until the most opportune moment to drop down.
Is this how most players do it in tournament matches? No more invincibility etiquette? I've always dropped right before/right after my opponent does, but I guess if others wait it out in tournament matches I might start doing that then.

The Star King

Smash Hero
The most optimal thing to do would be wait as long as possible, in case your opponent drops first, so you can use your second of invincibility against them. A lot of people don't bother waiting, though.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I've always waited until the end, but I thought it was a mark of disrespect because nobody did it lol. I'm afraid they start doing it from now on.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Oh yea in friendlies wutevs. In tourney I'd be too scared. Its not so much that I want the invincibility when I drop, but more that I don't want THEM to have invincibility. I swear like 20-30% of my deaths are a result of invincibility combo starters. But I might stay on the cloud if I could get an advantage, and I wouldn't blame my opponent for doing the same. PLAY TO WIN.

Or we could make a rule that whenever someone drops from the cloud everybody has to taunt! Mario is suddenly low tier, Luigi deals about 1-2% more damage per 5 games.

Top Bottom