• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
No lol. When you play, you roughly know when the opponent is gonna get out of hitstun, because you're used to the game. You associate a certain distance with a certain amount of hitstun. But in fact it's not the distance that determines hitstun, but knockback (or percentage if you want). So when you hit a floaty you have the same visuals as if you had hit a normal character who had more percentage, thus having the feeling he gets out of hitstun earlier than what he should, but it's in fact normal since if he were a normal character with the same weight, he wouldn't have been knocked that far and so, considering that distance, you wouldn't find it weird when he gets out of hitstun.
And apparently this should only hold true for vertical hits. That's why comboing them horizontally is better.

Anyone can correct me if that seems wrong by the way. And I hope it wasn't too confusing.

Madao

Basically since Samus is heavy, she takes less knockback, therefore she takes less hitstun. Since she's has one of the lowest falling speeds, vertical attacks make her go far despite her being a heavy weight.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
No lol. When you play, you roughly know when the opponent is gonna get out of hitstun, because you're used to the game. You associate a certain distance with a certain amount of hitstun. But in fact it's not the distance that determines hitstun, but knockback (or percentage if you want). So when you hit a floaty you have the same visuals as if you had hit a normal character who had more percentage, thus having the feeling he gets out of hitstun earlier than what he should, but it's in fact normal since if he were a normal character with the same weight, he wouldn't have been knocked that far and so, considering that distance, you wouldn't find it weird when he gets out of hitstun.
And apparently this should only hold true for vertical hits. That's why comboing them horizontally is better.

Anyone can correct me if that seems wrong by the way. And I hope it wasn't too confusing.
that sounds right its just really hard to put into words but i understand what you are saying

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Basically since Samus is heavy, she takes less knockback, therefore she takes less hitstun. Since she's has one of the lowest falling speeds, vertical attacks make her go far despite her being a heavy weight.
I'm sorry if it feels like I'm asking the same question over and over I'm just trying to clarify. What you're saying isn't that she gets out of hitstun earlier than other characters, but that she takes less hitstun in the first place?

Madao

I'm sorry if it feels like I'm asking the same question over and over I'm just trying to clarify. What you're saying isn't that she gets out of hitstun earlier than other characters, but that she takes less hitstun in the first place?
Hitstun is basically a timer which is determined by the knockback value received. Samus is the 2nd heaviest so the knockback is lower than every other character besides DK. Since her knockback received is lower, the hitstun is also lower. Since Samus is floaty, vertical attacks still hit her somewhat far (due to fall speed effecting vertical velocity), despite her being heavy.

To answer your question, yes. The timer goes down by 1, every frame.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Hitstun is basically a timer which is determined by the knockback value received. Samus is the 2nd heaviest so the knockback is lower than every other character besides DK. Since her knockback received is lower, the hitstun is also lower. Since Samus is floaty, vertical attacks still hit her somewhat far (due to fall speed effecting vertical velocity), despite her being heavy.

To answer your question, yes. The timer goes down by 1, every frame.
Great explanation. Appreciate the efforts of you and Sangoku both trying to explain it to me.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
that got me thinking how much bull**** it is that Samus loses her jump with down-b.

this game should be more like Melee.

Madao

that got me thinking how much bull**** it is that Samus loses her jump with down-b.

this game should be more like Melee.
Ya it doesn't make sense why they put that in the game. Looks like it was intentional, judging by the code I looked at.
I decided to see if I could make a gameshark code to fix it
8115E1C4 0000
8115E1C6 0000
8115E2F4 0000
8115E2F6 0000

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Ya it doesn't make sense why they put that in the game. Looks like it was intentional, judging by the code I looked at.
I decided to see if I could make a gameshark code to fix it
8115E1C4 0000
8115E1C6 0000
8115E2F4 0000
8115E2F6 0000
sdfajfksdajkfas holy ****
it works, good god.
how hard was this?

Madao

sdfajfksdajkfas holy ****
it works, good god.
how hard was this?
It took me a few minutes and was pretty easy due to the fact that it was intentionally put in. All I had to do was set a writing breakpoint on the current number of jumps for player 1. I had to do down b on the ground and in the air, to find the code for both scenarios. It really pays off to have a huge address list of data because the more information you have, the easier it is to find new things.

Madao

Creating codes is fun :).
Code:
Faster Charging for Samus
8015D5CF 0010

Samus doesn't lose her charge shot after death
810D7DEC 0000
810D7DEE 0000

Increased Mid Air Up B Jump for Samus
8115DEC6 429A
Let me know if these codes work.

Also I remember back when I used to play a lot on the console, I was able to get a free life in team death match if I stole my teammates life right when they died. Anyone else do that before? I couldn't do it on emulator ;/.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Creating codes is fun :).

Let me know if these codes work.
That Increased Up B is niiice. Feels good.

And your code for Faster Charging did not work for me. The charging got stuck, it increases in one level and never past that.

Unless you wanna find them on your own, you might wanna check out the cheats that have already been made. Might prevent you from recreating stuff. Here is the cheat file I use.
Under Misc and Insane there is a Always Full Charged (Samus)': 8115D5DE 000. Though what it really does is makes the charging take 1 sec, (you still have to charge everytime).

And maybe we should get a Gameshark thread up.

Madao

That Increased Up B is niiice. Feels good.

And your code for Faster Charging did not work for me. The charging got stuck, it increases in one level and never past that.

Unless you wanna find them on your own, you might wanna check out the cheats that have already been made. Might prevent you from recreating stuff. Here is the cheat file I use.
Under Misc and Insane there is a Always Full Charged (Samus)': 8115D5DE 000. Though what it really does is makes the charging take 1 sec, (you still have to charge everytime).

And maybe we should get a Gameshark thread up.
Lol I had a feeling I messed up on at least one of these codes. I'm used to typing the 2 byte code, but I typed in the 1 byte code. I'll edit my previous post. That code you mentioned uses the same address I use, they just put a faster setting than me. The lower the number, the faster you charge it. The number you put is the timer, so if you put 0x10, you increase 1 charge state every 16 frames, the default for samus is 20 frames. Who's going to make that gameshark thread?

A lot of the stuff I find is with the help of others. It's a great time saver use other people's work. Felipe and Nokabure helped me find stuff like stage data and other cool things. I do look at old gameshark threads, that's how I found the charge timer. I can't find DK's timer yet though. It's fun reading old threads and making new codes based off it. I should take a look at those codes you provided.

Lol another way I found stuff was by just filling in memory with random numbers using cheat engine. Had I done this from the start, I would have found half the stuff I have (including hitbox mode), much sooner. Well now I know for future games to do this. I found the real hitbox code, just by copying data over. This idea originally didn't work because I was copying Player 1's data, and the address for the hitbox code is right behind player 2's data. So I finally came up with the idea to mess with player 2's data and I finally found it.

Who should I buff next? I'm thinking Link and DK lol.

Edit: What does this auto DI code do?

B Link

Smash Lord
There was an old gameshark thread but it's outdated. You should make the new one, Madao.

Auto DI does just what the title implies. Every time you get hit, the code DIs for you, so no need to input it yourself.

Side note: Ant-D found a code that could modify hitbox sizes. If you get lucky and find it, let me know :)

Madao

There was an old gameshark thread but it's outdated. You should make the new one, Madao.

Auto DI does just what the title implies. Every time you get hit, the code DIs for you, so no need to input it yourself.

Side note: Ant-D found a code that could modify hitbox sizes. If you get lucky and find it, let me know :)
Ya I looked through a bunch of gameshark threads yesterday. Man had I done this earlier, I would have found some things sooner.
I would make a thread, but I don't have too many codes. I just make special codes like modifying Links mid air Up B jump. Well, for now I'll keep collecting data and writing it down.

I did find an area of memory that deals with hitboxes, but I didn't do much testing other than filling in data with random numbers (which is how I found it lol). Back when i was trying to find the hitbox mode code, I just went to the start of player 1's data and filled in memory with random numbers. Of course i crashed the game a lot, so save states are important. I even messed up the screen, but I'm mad because I forgot to write down what i did :( so all I have is the savestate which is for Nemu. All I know is that I was messing with the stage data.

The game keeps switching between the 2 screens lol. I wish I didn't make the characters invisible :( .

Is there any pics or vids of ant-d's hitbox code? I'm not sure if there is a multiplier for hitbox size, but I can look into it.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Cheat46="hugehitbox",810E4D30 2400

Cheat47="hugehitbox2",810E4DFC 2400

Cheat48="hugehitbox3",810E4E40 2400

But the apparent hitbox stays the same (I'm using the 3rd one)

[collapse=Saffron]
[/collapse]

Hey Madao, just start a new thread with whatever, just so we can keep stuff in one place and not flood the ask thread. You can edit later with a nicer first post.

Madao

I guess I'll make the thread then, but before I do, should I bother with match specific codes? Like Player 1 Hp in VS Mode in DreamLand? Or should I only post universal codes like the hitbox ones.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Player 1 Hp
I don't know what that is.

But I guess it depends. I kinda want that 2nd option for the hitbox display, if it's that much easier to find it if you restrict it to VS mode / Dream Land. Then yes.

Madao

I don't know what that is.

But I guess it depends. I kinda want that 2nd option for the hitbox display, if it's that much easier to find it if you restrict it to VS mode / Dream Land. Then yes.
Lol I meant how much damage, player 1 has.
I guess I will add match specific codes on request, but there's no way I'm going to do everything by myself lol.

B Link

Smash Lord
This was ant-d's post:

I messed about with this and made gameshark codes that can alter any moves hitbox or startup time so that it has more priority or even makes it harder for the opponent to DI.
I didn't really mean the big hitbox codes, but I actually didn't know there were 3 sizes so thanks for that.

There are no pics or vids, since he did not want to release these codes.

You could post the codes you want, and then people could reply to the thread with other ones. You don't have to type all of them up.

Also, 2 screens? That's so strange lol

Madao

This was ant-d's post:

I didn't really mean the big hitbox codes, but I actually didn't know there were 3 sizes so thanks for that.

There are no pics or vids, since he did not want to release these codes.

You could post the codes you want, and then people could reply to the thread with other ones. You don't have to type all of them up.

Also, 2 screens? That's so strange lol
Lol honestly I don't want to flame people here, but I don't trust that guy. A some of his codes are deceiving because they only really work with TASing (I know he admits this in some of his codes, but not on all of them). If you mean the timing of the attacks, I doubt he found a universal code for it. His frame data isn't even correct. Some code may exist out there, but it will be hard to find. The closest I've done is freeze the temporary values of moves, but if you do this, every attack will have the same damage or w/e you froze. Also there's no way he could make it harder to DI by altering moveset data without lowering damage or making no attacks do electric effect. He would have to alter the game physics which he never even mentioned.

I could be missunderstanding your question again though. Do you mean alter specific moves? Or all moves with 1 code? I can already alter moves, but it's not a universal code, so it would be match specific (you can use Toomai's table to understand the moveset data although it's missing projectile and throw data, and I can help with addresses if you want to actually use these codes). I did find the projectile data myself, although I only found the damage and knockback, so i don't know how the velocity and direction of projectiles work. I did find the x and y coordinate addresses of Ness' PK Thunder.

Originally I thought you wanted a code, like double the size of all hitboxes.

B Link

Smash Lord
Yeah I meant only individual moves, while leaving alone all other moves. E.g. huge kirby utilt, but normal falcon dair.

Like Mixa pointed out, there's already a "big hitbox" code, which modifies all moves by a multiplier. I'm not interested in that.

I see, so this can already be done by modifying address values? Interesting.

Also interesting that you found coordinates for PK thunder. Ant-d said coordinate addresses would be too hard to find.

I want a "timing code" because it would be fun to use online. E.g. kirby's utilt starts at frame 1 LOL

Madao

Yeah I meant only individual moves, while leaving alone all other moves. E.g. huge kirby utilt, but normal falcon dair.

Like Mixa pointed out, there's already a "big hitbox" code, which modifies all moves by a multiplier. I'm not interested in that.

I see, so this can already be done by modifying address values? Interesting.

Also interesting that you found coordinates for PK thunder. Ant-d said coordinate addresses would be too hard to find.

I want a "timing code" because it would be fun to use online. E.g. kirby's utilt starts at frame 1 LOL
Well I got some bad news. I was able to change the hitbox timing, but it doesn't effect the animation. So if it starts at frame 1, the hitbox will just be inside of kirby lol (still better than nothing). Good news is you can easily lengthen the time that the strong hitbox lasts. We will need to find out where the animation data is stored. In the meantime, I suggest you try out Toomai's spreadsheet (the addresses are for Training mode Dream Land) and just mess with the memory. Any emulator with a built in debugger would be good so that you can see the real n64 addresses. If you need help understanding his spreadsheet, let me know.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Alright, question.

Is there any video out there that shows the problems with Yoshi's Island that got it banned?

I get the idea that the clouds can cause some issues, I just want to know if there are some actual matches to show this is a problem.

(P.S. I'll take any other serious matches from banned stages too if you have them.)

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Is there any video out there that shows the problems with Yoshi's Island that got it banned?
i lol'd at this. I'd be surprised if there were a 4 line post about it.

I'll take any other serious matches from banned stages too if you have them.
1st, get this, might be useful for whatever you're doing.

then, go to banze's channel. the brazilian ruleset uses all stages except MK.
edit: brazilssb is the new brazilian channel, with a lot of dumb stages as well.

great MK / Saffron match: SWEET XII: Steve (Luigi) VS Sensei (Fox)

and there is also a japanese grand finals played on Sector Z.

just kidding, can you imagine

kyletree

Smash Cadet
I saw a video on DI technique for drills where the guy shook the control up and down with his right hand and held a direction with his thumb. I've been practicing it this way, but it's really awkward to switch to that position. I've noticed in apex videos that most players seem to keep their thumb on stick and shake their thumb instead. Can someone give me an accurate description of how to use my hands/fingers to DI out of drills?

DMoogle

A$
I saw a video on DI technique for drills where the guy shook the control up and down with his right hand and held a direction with his thumb. I've been practicing it this way, but it's really awkward to switch to that position. I've noticed in apex videos that most players seem to keep their thumb on stick and shake their thumb instead. Can someone give me an accurate description of how to use my hands/fingers to DI out of drills?
Could you elaborate on the bolded part? Do you hold the controller in a non-standard way?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
the video was done for exaggeration i think.

that's how i di, and it's not uncomfortable at all or awkward. just find a position where shaking your right hand doesn't mess with your thumb and you're gucc.

Top Bottom