• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
Hey man, you should be grateful I took the time in between building schools in third world countries to post my incredibly helpful advice. Honestly, my generosity knows no bounds. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to single-handedly carry grateful families away from burning buildings.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Breakthrough, here's my take on approaching/not being approached/spacing in general.

Once you know what move your opponent is trying to approach with, you can bait him into a trap by making yourself look vulnerable at a point where you are within the range of that move. If he takes the bait, and approaches you at that point, you will be able to REACT to their approach in time because you EXPECT them to approach.

Good players will space with several moves simultaneously, or will rapidly change the move they are actively trying to land. This makes them harder to read, bait, or approach. Much of the meta game arises from distracting your opponent with the possibility of getting hit by one attack, then striking with another.

You are getting too focused on landing one move. You'll try to grab for several consecutive stanzas of smash, making you easy to bait, of you'll space bair for too long, making you easy to approach.

That's smash meta game level 1. More advanced tactics involve observing longer term patterns in your opponents spacing, predicting how your opponent reacts to pressure in more specific situations (stage specific), and disrupting your opponents ability to read you (mind games).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@breakthrough:

Reacting to your opponent is definitely a weakness of yours. I only played you a few times but I already know your game: shop bair with falcon and hope it hits. Not that shop bair is bad, but when its the only thing you are doing, it becomes very exploitable like everything in this game if you are too predictable.

With regards to actually reading and reacting to your opponent, you do need to actively pay attention to what they are doing. You need to recognize what patterns they are utilizing, how they like to approach, how they like to defend. The more you play, the faster you will become at figuring out what they are likely to do in most situations. Then, once you have a pretty good handle on how they move and what moves they like to use, you need to figure out how you are going to punish that move. For example vs you, I noticed right away that if I gave you space you would do shop bair. I also noticed that when you do the bair you are usually moving towards me, which is poor spacing. A few ways I know I can punish that:

1) Wait for you to land and dash grab. Since you were moving towards me as you landed this is an option

2) When you jump, run in and usmash before your bair comes out. If the opponent is alert and changing his movements often this won't work probably, but I was pretty confident in your pattern of movement.

3) Properly space an fsmash to hit you when you land.

And there are many more ways to punish it. But if I'm playing you for example, I would recognize the pattern, figure out how to punish it, and then put my focus on executing one of those punishes.

So to recap:

1) Figure out patterns in their movements and attacks

2) Think about how those patterns are punishable

3) Find the openings when you can execute the punishes you've thought of and attack!

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
At what times do you wanna jump with the joystick instead of the yellow buttons?
when you are recovering from far away and have an itch on your face u can itch and jump towards the stage simultaneously with stick jump. (pro smash tip) BTW really good question breakthrough it brought out some really good responses that im gonna try to put to use

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Lol I tend to itch my face when off stage but I wouldn't say thats main use for stick jump... Stick jumps are more precise, I think there's about 20 or so different heights you can jump with the stick, but a full stick jump is higher than a full c jump. For some things, like Yochi on DL, that extra height allows you to land on the platforms

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the extra height/reduced height is also useful for falcon punches, without a full height jump, Falcon can't do a free kill at 60

The Star King

Smash Hero
Only with initial jumps, not mid-air jumps.

You can prove this true by going under the left platform of Mushroom Kingdom with Yoshi and stick jumping. A stick jump will barely reach and a C button jump will not. If you can't reach with a stick jump that means your controller SUX and can't get full range (my Hori didn't).

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
which inputs are the best to get out of sleep? (or are they the same ones that you use to get out of dk's grab?)
just realized the cpus got out of the sleep faster than I got out of jiggly's sing.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yes. In fact, mashing one direction is registered as one input. It can't be visible with DK, since you need 15 to escape (you get stuck at 14), but there is an impact on shieldbreak and sing, since it will lower the number of frames by 4 (as would one input of another button do).

Sing is pretty similar to shieldbreak: there's a given amount of frames (375 for sing) from which you subtract your percent (maximum -300) and subtract 4 for each input.
This is for shieldbreaks:

The buttons that can be used for that purpose are: A, B, R, Z or tilting the joystick. Concerning the latter fully tilting it will have the same result as pushing another button. If you tilt half way, half the frames are reduced (2 instead of 4). Other buttons don't work (L or C). Finally, note that pushing multiple buttons at the same time won't help in the recovery process. Two inputs at the same time have the same impact as one.
Finally, if it works like cargo hold, you can input both a joystick direction and a button on the same frame and it counts as two inputs. Two buttons or two directions (on kb for example) don't work that way.

Concretely I'd say rotate the joystick and mash buttons.

Illuminatus

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know of a video that teaches in-depth how to multishine? Complete with a section showing what his hands are doing on the control?

Also, when you SHDL do you guys just mash b as fast as you can or is there some sort of rhythm?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
That video is called "A day in the life of han solo". Tough to find though because of all the star wars crap out there.

For shdl its timing. Slide your thumb from left-c to b to get the sHop and the first laser, press the b button again at the right time to get the laser out. Once you get that first laser coming out immediately the timing of the second one is pretty lenient. The difficult part is timing it so that the laser comes out as low as possible

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Is there any other advantage to low-angled fsmash besides the range?

I have also been thinking that unless you really fear missing the up-angled fsmash, you should always do it instead of the normal one. Anyone disagrees?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
do you mean range as in further horizontal or something?

i've trained myself to always low angled fsmash when i play against kirby, at least i used to, i may have stopped it cuz of lack of kirbys

problem with always doing high angled fsmash is if a smaller character ducks, i think you miss. that is, like 3/4 the cast haha. should just have sangoku check all of that tbh

i do high angled after a dair if i can't get a bair

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i've trained myself to always low angled fsmash when i play against kirby
Even when range is not a worry?

Also, I was just testing Samus' knockbacks, you should do up-angled fsmash instead of Bair (assuming both are fresh) after a Dair. I even recorded some video of this.
Though the coolest option is to Dair → bomb → back-throw/up-angled fsmash

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure. With numbers I think up-angled wins, but realistically you are always closer to the edge with a back-throw. I guess if you have time, space and confidence for a nice pivot grab, do back-throw. It sends more horizontally, and it's unlikely that it'll be stale. (do Samus players keep track of stale moves?)

well,

http://youtu.be/CEVQlwy0MTc

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i find that reverse EXTREMELY difficult to land. what about reverse bair compared to rev hi fsmash? those are cake

and no

probably should

mixa

Banned via Warnings
what about reverse bair compared to rev hi fsmash?
Reversed or not, Bair stands no chance to hi fsmash, that's why I'd advise to go for it instead of Bair whenever possible.

Hi fsmash deals 20% (normal 18%, low 16%)
Bair deals 14%

Samus' hi fsmash is mad good lol

By the way, if you hi fsmash really close to a standing Kirby, you can either miss or hit, depends on Kirbys hitbox at that frame (it sways).
If you normal-fsmash really close to a ducking Kirby, you'll always miss. So low-fsmash is good habit, I guess.

But yeah, I've seen some japanese Kirbys ducking the charged beam like it's a daily job. Cool stuff.

haha, it just came to me that if you hit the reverse Fsmash while turning around like in the video, the opponent's DI will favor the attack.

meromorph

Smash Rookie
I have a few questions, I've tried to look it up but couldn't find it anywhere, please show mercy
1. What causes a shield to need more than 4 hits from Yoshi's nair to break?
2. Probably trivial, but I've seen players performing "out of shield jab" with Yoshi, i.e., jabbing immediately after shielding. How is this done?
3. Has anyone tried the Retrolink N64 controller for PC? What do you think about it?
4. The Hori Mini Pad works for PAL Nintendos, right?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
2. Never seen it. But it's possible if you jump out of shield and then double-jump really fast like in this video.

3. Yes. It's terrible.

meromorph

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the answers :) As for 2, I think I was just imagining stuff. I meant something like this, and somehow thought it could be done without rolling first.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, that was just from the roll. You might be able to do parry jabs which would look something like jab OoS, but I don't play Yoshi.

The Star King

Smash Hero
No, the things you can do out of parry are the same as what you can do out of shield. At best you can parry djl jab.

NTA

Smash Lord
What do I do after port forwarding my points through the online router page thingie?

I followed the steps used in that port forwarding guide and had a supported router, but all the port scanners i've used listed the selected ports as closed. Is there anything I can do about that?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
In an instructional video using real matches,

I wanna put the names of the players on the screen while I show the clip

but some players will only appear to set the bad example, I'll just use their mistakes.

Should I omit the names in the "don't do this" cases and keep only the, say, positive examples?

I say this because people don't have control over their matches being online, and I don't wanna call anyone out.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Only show names for good stuff, otherwise feelings may be hurt. This community has bad history with hurt feelings.

Maybe just put their names (or possibly links to all consitutent matches) in the end credits?

clubbadubba

Smash Master

but some players will only appear to set the bad example, I'll just use their mistakes.

Should I omit the names in the "don't do this" cases and keep only the, say, positive examples?

I say this because people don't have control over their matches being online, and I don't wanna call anyone out.
if you use me as a bad example, please use my name. I'd rather know what I do wrong than be blissfully ignorant

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

first off i think this is a great idea. let us know when its finished! i would probably omit those names cuz you never know when someone is going to be offended

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
I saw a melee combo video where they left the names in, but during the credits they showed combos from the people who got bodied before. Maybe something like that could work?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I saw a melee combo video where they left the names in, but during the credits they showed combos from the people who got bodied before. Maybe something like that could work?
well its one thing to get combo'd against but another thing entirely to point out what someone is "doing wrong" i'm not sure a highlight at the end will make up for that. I would have no problem if you did that for me, like Clubba said i would wanna know if i'm doing something wrong, but others might not like it

Top Bottom