• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
i didn't think any of your actions were wrong

you're modding fine tbh
Oh okay, I thought you mentioning the comic meant I wasn't doing well.

just dont be too stricht and everyones happy. Its not hard being a mod.
Well I don't think I'm being really strict tbh. I don't yell at every offtopic/double post/censor dodge. And closing thread is kinda part of the fun I guess? Since people making these threads know they'll get locked.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^ DK's punch deals 36, you can go from there.

Is there anyway to get random characters online?

I know that if you get a CP, it won't cause DS but the CP character will most likely be different for each player.
Is there a way to get a RNG (http://www.random.org/) so that both parties can see?
Yea, steam and have them watch it. I often make random cpu's appear and then pick whatever character comes up. Some people say it causes ds but I'm pretty sure it only causes ds if you actually play with the random computer (since it could be a different cpu player).

Why do you need both parties to see it?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yea, steam and have them watch it. I often make random cpu's appear and then pick whatever character comes up. Some people say it causes ds but I'm pretty sure it only causes ds if you actually play with the random computer (since it could be a different cpu player).

Why do you need both parties to see it?
The whole idea is to be able to get random without having a third party. I want to do a cactuar pancake tourney online.

Picking CPs doesn't work. If it's random, then it won't work online, even though random is what I'm looking for, lol.
It's the same situation with me going to a RNG. The other player would have to simply trust me.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
ooooo that kind of tourney sounds fun, I think i might enter that when it happens

Well, seems like this guy can send random numbers to up to 10 email addresses, but I think you need to buy the 6 month subscription which is like $40 lol. You could check it out though.

http://www.random.org/premium/

Overall though I don't think trusting the opponent is the worst possible scenario. Would someone really lie about the random selection in order to win a cactuar pancake tourney?

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
This is a forum about a 30 year old video game. Yall need to lighten up.
@EggSelent: Sangoku is from europe. Cut him some slack.
@Sangoku: Stop closing funny threads.

And for a change of pace: a real question!

Is there any community consensus for matchups on peach's? Has anyone ever done (semi-)rigorous analysis?

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Lol? I'm saying I don't think what you say is right as a player. What does it have to do with moderation? You think I'll infract you because I disagree with you? Can you show me an example of me doing this? I'm genuinely asking, I'm quite new as a mod and I don't want to do my job too badly. If bloodpeach could help by showing some evidence as well, I'd be grateful.

I didn't mean to critique your moderation skills -- you didn't do anything wrong. I'd just rather have my point be refuted than just be implicitly dismissed as a noob.

Mr. Fingers

Smash Rookie
i'm experiencing a strange phenomenon.. every single night ~7pm my ping on galaxy shoots up from ~40 to ~70 and my connection will desynch almost immediately if I try to play a game. Anybody experiencing anything similar / have any idea why this might be happening?

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
i'm experiencing a strange phenomenon.. every single night ~7pm my ping on galaxy shoots up from ~40 to ~70 and my connection will desynch almost immediately if I try to play a game. Anybody experiencing anything similar / have any idea why this might be happening?

I might be stating the obvious here, but it's either a problem with your connection, a problem with the server, or both. Is your connection normally slower at 7:00 than at another time? Try pinging some random sites, game servers, etc and see how the times vary by time of day. It's entirely possible that your connection is just slower at times (like 7:00pm) when your ISP has its peak usage. I'd also check programs on your computer to see if there's any software that runs at around 7:00 each day.

Mr. Fingers

Smash Rookie
Hmm yeah I was wondering if it was a connection issue, but it happens exclusively with galaxy backup, never with old galaxy / west wonderland / godweapon.. Thanks though!

The Star King

Smash Hero
To stop dashes.

I personally grab though. Not sure which is better (other than with Yoshi/Samus/Link obviously).

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Hmm yeah I was wondering if it was a connection issue, but it happens exclusively with galaxy backup, never with old galaxy / west wonderland / godweapon.. Thanks though!
Find the thread for the new Atlantic North server, the House of Luv. It's got the IP to connect in there and is good for playing on without much ds. You can always find someone on galaxy and bring them to that server.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think that's just from grabs IIRC (not 100% sure).

Maybe slightly tangential, but consider the following situation:

You tech and your opponent runs toward you, so you are in danger of getting punished. You think they're gonna try to grab you or something and you want to jump away.

You would either try to time the jump or mash the jump button. Doesn't matter. But do you lose much from holding shield the entire time you're trying to jump? No not really, because it won't affect the time you jump. And shield is obviously bufferable, and will come out in the first frame you can act. You're probably not gonna do a frame perfect jump, so the shield will be up there for at least one frame, and you will get the grab invincibility whenever you happen to jump. Basically, the shielding doesn't interfere with your jumping and you get a free 2 frame grab invincibility whenever you happen to jump, is what I'm trying to say.

This is even better with Yoshi, because of parrying.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
When you jump OoS, you get a blue hitbox (intangibility), so it should work for everything, I don't know where you got 'only grabs' from.
Maybe in practical terms it'll only work against grabs/jabs because of how long they stay out.

TonyBBQ

Smash Rookie
Is there any way I can improve my p64k experience? I haven't played one full match because it lags/desyncs/disconnects. My ping is 90 in galaxy backup server and I'm on the west coast so I can't really fix it. I just want to play this damn game online haha. So frustrating.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Don't play on that server and all of you problems will go away lol

You should look at the world map and see if you can find people to play locally

TonyBBQ

Smash Rookie
Lol yeah. It wasn't happening as often, but it was at least half the time. When I first started playing I didn't understand what in the hell it was talkin about haha.

So where should I go from here? Is there a better server? I can't p2p because I have no access to the wifi router (apartment Internet.) Any help on playing some decent quality matches would be awesome.

I just added my location to the world map thread.

Thank you!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Playing on wifi is likely to give you connection problems. Also if other people are using your internet that can mess you up as well

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah try to connect through ethernet and play on a time of the day when nobody else is using the internet or something. You can usually find a few people willing to p2p 12pm and after every day. Also, you can still p2p as long as the other person can host, and honestly one more frame of delay depending on where they are is always better than constant desynch problems.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
For me, it usually plays smoothly for about 15 seconds, then there is a massive lag spike. Whenever I play someone who has a similar lag pattern to that, I ask them if they are on wifi and it is always a yes. I dunno if that points anyone in the direction of why some wifi connections lag or not.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
There are some people who claim their wifi works just fine (kys I believe), but the I would say most people who play on wifi have this issue.
I don't have any problems with my wireless router/adapter. The only time I'll lag is if someone else is using the internet on their phone/computer, so I'll just ask my little brother to not use the internet for a little bit and then I run fine. I don't ds on galaxy backup til 5-6 games in, which is way more than most people get. Also, I've had 4+ hour sessions on p2p without a single ds if it's with the right person.

TonyBBQ

Smash Rookie
I thought that was an urban legend?

Try playing on San Fran server or on HOUSE OF LUV. Or even better find players who can host p2p. In Europe we almost only p2p.

I tried HOUSE OF LUV and my ping is still around 85 and NO ONE is ever on the San Fran server lol. There's just not a popular west coast server.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
just watched some apex 2012, and I wanna know why:

- kefit didn't counterpick not-hyrule vs isai
- no one struck hyrule vs isai. did they not know he was using link?

Top Bottom