• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Hi! I'm brand new to these forums! So I guess, is there like an introduction thread or something?

Introduction thread is too mainstream. To introduce yourself, make a thread about
ow you think the tier list should go, how why ness is only good if you know how to use him.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have a link to a video I remember being posted somewhere showing their slide DI? My youtube searches are yielding 0 results. Please link asap so I can show my little brother how to do it/what it is. Thank you in advance.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
weird i coulda swore i favorited that video so that i could link it the next time someone asked that question but now i cant find it :cry:

Battlecow

Play to Win
so master server list/waiting games won't work for me right now, no servers come up

internet's obviously fine, downloading a whole new pj64k does not fix the problem though. Can anyone give me a fix?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the graphic plugin have to do with that? I would have said it is a kaillera.dll issue, but I don't know.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm having the same problem as battlecow, except it crashes after trying to load the servers. Can anyone give me an updated list of japanese servers? And possibly an emulator set up to play the japanese version on kaillera? I remember having problems last year because of the name of the ROM and such (and changing the name in the corresponding file didn't work). Thanks in advance and sorry for double post.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
so master server list/waiting games won't work for me right now, no servers come up

internet's obviously fine, downloading a whole new pj64k does not fix the problem though. Can anyone give me a fix?
it recently stopped working for me as well bcow. Must be an outside problem? Can anyone else no longer access the master server list?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't think it's a big deal, but maybe I'm just used to it because the server list/waiting games never worked for me. BTW, Battlecow, people can connect to servers just fine, so that part of the problem is just yours. Are you sure you're getting the server IPs right?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Man, the people behind Kaillera/Emulinker are such knuckleheads.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't think it's a big deal, but maybe I'm just used to it because the server list/waiting games never worked for me. BTW, Battlecow, people can connect to servers just fine, so that part of the problem is just yours. Are you sure you're getting the server IPs right?
It is a big deal for people like me who have the opportunity to play japanese players but won't because I don't know their servers.

Cowboy64

Smash Rookie
Yay! Just got my 64 controller and USB adapter, and I have Project 64 and the game so I can start playing again (after a long, long absence).

So, after lurking these forums for a while, I've come to the conclusion that your tier lists are probably about the most legitimate that exist or can exist (assuming evolution of course).

I just wonder, what exactly are the differences between the characters, in the general opinion? Is a character like Link or Samus (assuming equal level of skill between the players) doomed to lose 100% of the matches against a character like Pikachu or Kirby? Or is it just a strongly favored situation? Basically, how balanced do you think the difference is?

Sorry if this question has already been discussed to death, or if it will reignite some long-term flamewar or something. Feel free to disregard if any of those are applicable.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
(assuming equal level of skill between the players)

I think it is hard to work with this parameter because I feel you can never really say players are on equal level of skill. Depends on stage, character MU, and player MU.

What I'm trying to say is, if I beat Banana's Kirby on Dream Land with Falcon, I often feel that what this tells me is that: I'm good with Falcon vs Banana's Kirby. On Dream Land.
Am I better than Banana? But how good is Banana with Kirby? And how good is Banana with Kirby at that MU? Do I like playing Banana's playstyle? What if he consistently beats my Falcon with his Fox on DL?
If a Link has close matches against a Pikachu on DL, can we assume the Link player is better overall? How many stocks should the Pikachu have left in that match for you to say "they're players of equal skill level"?
You most likely would have to check other results in order to estabilish the skill gap, right?

I just feel like everything is floating. (Sorry if I'm not really answering your question. I guess watching people play is the better way to figure those out.)

Though as the gameplay level gets higher, these things tend to disappear.

But the game is well balanced. So, say, a Link vs Pika on DL is not 'doomed to lose'. Unless the players are of equal levels of skill.

oh wait--

well, it's really late I gotta sleep now.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No such thing as equal skill, exactly. I guess if the two players were EXACTLY the same level, pika would always win a set of infinite length 100% of the time (not 100% of the matches because, you know, mistakes and stuff, the guy could kill himself 4 times in a match). I'd say that the samus player needs to work a fair bit harder for the win than the pika player, but it's certainly not impossible.

DMoogle

A$
This game is a lot more balanced than Melee and Brawl. Every character is viable, but yeah, some will generally have to work harder than others.

Olikus

Smash Champion
do I need an own adapter for hori to play on computer? It doesnt fit in my controller adapter I use for N64 controllers.

Olikus

Smash Champion
okay even bigger problem. now it wont work at my N64 either. Which it did before. I didnt press it hard at all in the N64 adapter. I just saw it woudnt fit an then I pried it carefully and slowly out of the adapter. And it doesnt look damage in the controller input at all. Anyone had similar problem or now what it could be?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
How does Mupen cheats work?
If I load (U), it'll come with Item Switch and all characters. But if I load (J), everything is locked.

Wait, Hori needs an adapter to play on the N64? wut

Olikus said:
do I need an own adapter for hori to play on computer? It doesnt fit in my controller adapter I use for N64 controllers.
the time has come: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php

Sangoku

Smash Master
How does Mupen cheats work?
If I load (U), it'll come with Item Switch and all characters. But if I load (J), everything is locked.

Wait, Hori needs an adapter to play on the N64? wut

the time has come: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php
No cheats in mupen. Maybe you unlocked everything before? Then it stays on the ROM or somewhere else, so everytime you load it you have everything. Not reliable though as it can vanish randomly. Best way is savestate.

From my experience, might be all wrong.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Well, I was gonna ask what was the best way to unlock everything so I can save state, but now I can't even open a ROM in Mupen anymore because it says I don't have an RSP: Choose RSP plugin in Configuration Dialog.
And on settings I got nothing to choose from, this dumb emulator doesn't recognize the existence of the RSP plugin. Already tried to redownload it.

IYM!

Smash Lord
helo people !!!
i have a really simple question,actually, is a kind of request. . .
Can someone please give me a code to remove the music on SSB64 japanese version??
or a Web site where i can find it??

i am not sure if i can do this kind of request, but i have been so much time out of the smash boards, even i have lost practie with my English :dizzy:

thanks in advance :)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I believe you can use the same cheat codes in both games, at least from what I can tell. So use the same cheat from the US version/copy the cheat file for that game

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So last night I was playing some noob link on console. Think he goes by A$ or some **** like that. Anyway I was recovering from below as kirby, and he went for a dash attack as I up-b'd. I went for the kikoushi and pulled back a bit and ended up pulling him off the edge and into the abyss. I've seen stuff like that many times, but I don't know what the mechanics are behind this. Seems to happen whenever a character is right on the edge. Is that the only requirement? Also, is there any way to DI it?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Doesn't Link extend his hurtbox past the ledge? Does the first hit of the up+b hit, or is it just the one that spikes you? OR BOTH

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I've seen stuff like that many times, but I don't know what the mechanics are behind this. Seems to happen whenever a character is right on the edge. Is that the only requirement? Also, is there any way to DI it?

In standard fighting games, every character has a thing called a center point. It's designed like an infinitely small hitbox for every single possible state that the character can be in, which includes running/walking, every attack, jumping etc. This is strictly what determines what happens when two characters get close to each other and who ends up on what side. In smash I would assume it's no different and that it has the added purpose of determining whether you land on a ledge or bounce off of another object or w/e. I am going to assume that attacks like link's dash attack put this center point beyond the ledge but the dash attack itself has the property of not allowing link to slide off the ledge, therefore creating this weird scenario.

Similar thing happens with DK's slow ledge get up attack.

Top Bottom