• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
so as i read posts on the site i find out that theres all these fancy names for attacks. some on them are pretty self explanitory.. but others are not as simple. im used to just nameing all my attacks, so can someone kinda give me a run down on what the actual names for attacks are? in terms of "dair" etc..
thanks.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
so as i read posts on the site i find out that theres all these fancy names for attacks. some on them are pretty self explanitory.. but others are not as simple. im used to just nameing all my attacks, so can someone kinda give me a run down on what the actual names for attacks are? in terms of "dair" etc..
thanks.
......and u think u can beat isai?

Battlecow

Play to Win
......and u think u can beat isai?
If you had learned without the aid of online and forums and so forth, you wouldn't know the "Official" attack names either. He knows what they are, just not what "proper" name corresponds to each one.

Kero- there are 4 kinds of A-moves.

Aerials-

Back-air (Bair)
Forward-air (Fair)
Neutral-air (Nair)
Down-air (Dair)
Up-air (Uair)

For Bair you press back on the analog stick while in the air and then press A. Ness's is a little backwards kick in the air. Rest of them should be pretty obvious based on that.

Tilts-

Forward-tilt (Ftilt)

Down-tilt (Dtilt)

Up-tilt (Utilt)

For Utilt, you "tilt" the control stick upwards (as in, press it, but not all the way) and then press A. Alternately, you can "Buffer" a tilt by doing a smash attack or aerial or something and then keeping the control stick pressed that way. Ness's Utilt is where he sticks his hands up above his head and does a little hop- it's good for comboing characters who fall fast and it has great range.

Smash Attacks-

Forward-smash (Fsmash)

Down-smash (Dsmash)

Up-smash (Usmash)

"smash" the control stick in one direction and press A at the same time. Ness's Fsmash is that baseball bat.

Jabs-

This is where you press A repeatedly on the ground without moving the control stick.

There are also B-moves.

Up-B

Down-B

Neutral B

Pretty self-explanatory. Ness's neutral B is the PK Fire.

Grabs are when you grab someone with R or A+Z (duh) after you grab them, you can Forward throw them (Fthrow) or Back-throw them (Bthrow)

Shield is with Z (duh) and it's the bubble thingy.

Advanced techniques-

A "tech" is when you're falling to the ground in hitstun but instead of crashing you press Z right before you land and get up quick.

A "Z-cancel" is when you're doing an attack near the ground and instead of getting the big landing-lag from doing the attack when you touch ground, you press Z and get normal landing lag. A couple of Ness's moves don't need this.

DJC stands for "Double Jump Cancel." Ness and Yoshi can do it. you jump, jump again, and cancel that jump with an attack.

Ehhhh I probably didn't need to type all this out.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OGViMzhhYzFlZDYz&authkey=CL-r_oAL&hl=en&pli=1

^^ Advanced Techniques guide by dch

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
i feel like i've heard that in order to speed up their gameplay, people use fastfalling a lot? am i mistaken or is that true? assuming it's true, isn't there more landing lag from a fastfall vs a regular fall? or is there a way around this?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Mostly true in Melee (where people fast fall like every attack since you can fast fall during a move), not as much in 64 (can't fast fall during a move). Still fast fall has plenty of uses.

Fast fall gives a little bit more landing lag IIRC but it's not that much.

dandan

Smash Lord
iirc, normal landing lags of not fast falled landings is 4 frames while ff landings is 8 frames. that is the delay you will also have if you cancel your move (stays the same for each kind of landing).

joY

Pot splitter
i feel like i've heard that in order to speed up their gameplay, people use fastfalling a lot? am i mistaken or is that true? assuming it's true, isn't there more landing lag from a fastfall vs a regular fall? or is there a way around this?
I can't say for sure if there is more lag present from a fast fall vs a regular fall, but I can tell you that you can avoid both cases altogether by Z-Cancelling.

edit: oops didn't see the post above derp

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
sigh... I met a ton of people who like to play Melee/64 and are decent at it, but they insist on playing in widescreen...

HOW DO I MAKE THEM SEE THE LIGHT

joY

Pot splitter
sigh... I met a ton of people who like to play Melee/64 and are decent at it, but they insist on playing in widescreen...

HOW DO I MAKE THEM SEE THE LIGHT
You could say that at the time of the games original release (1999), most TV's were full screen; and so that's the way it's gotta be.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
You could say that at the time of the games original release (1999), most TV's were full screen; and so that's the way it's gotta be.
And sound like the biggest, pretentious douchebag when I'm seemingly the only one who wants to play the game the way it was originally meant to be played?

I was fiddling with the TV to set it to fullscreen, and they were all "come onnnnn just leave it widescreeeeen"

And I'm all, "but it stretches the game. It wasn't meant to be played like this."

These kids aren't noobs or anything, and know a thing or two about the game and one joked, "What, is it gonna mess up your spacing or something?"

And I'm like, "Well, yeah...."

And they all just yelled and complained until I put it back to widescreen.

ONCE, just once, I'd like to meet a fellow "purist" like myself. I just want a friend who is my skill level, and likes to play 1v1s on a goddamn fullscreen setting. My roommate fulfills two of those, but hates 1v1s (even though he's good), so we end up teamkilling Bowser or playing party smashes with other people. It's so infuriating because I want to work on my skills and spacing, but that's impossible with nine million lasers, boomerangs, bombs, and knees swarming around you every second.

I guess the search continues...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80947

does that mean fox should beat falcon in a race to the finish in tas?
look at initial dash speed (fox 81) vs falcon running speed 70.
fox dash, frame perfect shine cancel, dash

?
Nope. I can't find the video that I think ANtD made, but while Ness goes faster using this tactic (replace perfect shine with perfect DJC), it does not do as well for Fox. A normal running Fox would beat it in a race.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
1) Is there a prime time on Galaxy when people are usually on? Ive found it very difficult to get a decent game on Galaxy with any consistency.

2) Is there a chart listing the landing lag for every character's air moves? Most importantly I want a list of moves that have little or no landing lag and therefore dont require z-canceling.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
2) Out of curiosity - why? Z-cancelling is imperative to the game, and even moves with a slight bit of ending lag should be Z-cancelled all the time. There is no chart that exists, but off the top of my head I know Ness uair and dair do not need to be z-cancelled. There are probably more but someone will get them for me ^^,

Battlecow

Play to Win
Pika Uair, Ness Uair and Dair

Maybe a couple more things

Everything else should definitely be Z-canceled.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
DK fair, Link bair (?), Yoshi uair, in addition to aforementioned ones.

Note that I am unsure of most of these, there may be a very low amount of delay, but you did ask for those ones too I suppose...

The Star King

Smash Hero
DK fair, Link bair (?), Yoshi uair, in addition to aforementioned ones.

Note that I am unsure of most of these, there may be a very low amount of delay, but you did ask for those ones too I suppose...
No to all of them. DK's Fair and Yoshi's Uair do have large windows where you'll get no lag, but you can still get very noticable landing lag with certain timing (after he swings his arms for DK, and like in the middle of Yoshi's uair. IDK how you even got Link's bair lol

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Fair enough, I should've tested them first before I spouted such nonsense. Clearly I need to start not z-cancelling more so I know these things.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Z-cancel everything, always

the exceptions are ness u-air/d-air and pika u-air, which have no lag, jiggs d-air, which has negligible ending lag (about the same as a ff cancelled aerial or something) and pops enemies up for a grab/u-tilt, and possibly kirby/pika f-air if for some obscure reason you want the crappy weak knockback rather than a throw or d-tilt or something

autocancel is misleading in 64, term shouldn't be used

we've been over puns using aerials already

Infamous_Diablo

Banned via Warnings
yo is there any way i can change my name. i regret making it what i did cus i found one i like betterr but i canttt make a new account or delete this one... helppp?

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Does fastfalling really give you more landing lag, even after a z-cancelled aerial? D:
Omg I never knew that and when it screwed my combos up I thought it was just me being too slow lolol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's double the lag, but when it's only 4 frames to begin with, it's not a huge amount

in fact i think it gives you more frame advantage if you hit a shield with a ff-ed aerial

dandan

Smash Lord
Pika Uair, Ness Uair and Dair

Maybe a couple more things

Everything else should definitely be Z-canceled.
sometimes it is beneficial to not cancel jigs dair, as to get your opponent off the ground (a lesson i got from jaime).

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I know. You can get **** off of Kirby's Dair or Nair or something too (like a little hitbox at the end).

The Star King

Smash Hero
ohoho

So Star King, are you saying that some moves autocancel like in Melee? Or do they just start and end quickly...
Not completely sure what you mean by autocancel, but go to training mode and see for yourself. If you land during the earlier part of DK's fair you'll get no lag.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Not completely sure what you mean by autocancel, but go to training mode and see for yourself. If you land during the earlier part of DK's fair you'll get no lag.
Well in Melee, some moves autocancel (reduced landing lag) if you land during the beginning or ending frames of an attack and don't manually cancel.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i keep trying to download project 64 from the links listed in asiansussies thread, but it keeps directing me to some site where i have to pay like 35 dollars to download it. am i doing something wrong, of do you have to buy projectt 64?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
He's probably using the rapidshare link and trying to download premium instead of free or something.

Is he on XP or vista? Either way use mediafire.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
im using mediafire and its soo confusing. not to be a maor pain in the *** but will you kinda step me through how to do itt

DMoogle

A$
Oh, with sites like Mediafire, there's a premium option for faster download speeds without wait times, but you can also download it for free. Just look for anything that says something like "Slower download." You'll probably have to wait for like a minute for the actual download link to become available (most of the sites have a timer that counts the minute down).

Top Bottom